Unpopular opinion - Daniel James is not very good

John Blund

High work rate, but his crosses remind me of Bébé.

Needs a rest now.

Red00012

Rashford started off as a kick and rush player with the head down. Took him a while to shake it off . James needs to do it fast and figure out something else but at the moment I’m struggling to see what he can actually bring to the team.

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
His movement off the ball has been irritating me since his first game in a United shirt.

I don’t know if this is solely on him, or if it’s instructions from Ole / our coaching staff, but it’s terrible.

We are not playing to his strengths and he isn’t making the simple forward runs he should be.

Especially when he plays on the right, he is usually way too close to AWB to make any darting forward runs to receive the ball.

He has the potential to be a good player, but he needs a lot of work and patience.

Last edited:

Mickson

He needs a rest. People being overly critical of him are not being fair. It is not his fault that the squad is so poorly managed that we need Daniel James to start every game.
He rarely ever plays a full game, and isn't starting every week. A rest isn't the solution.

DevilRed

Play him on the left wing. Not sure why Perreira was there most of the time.

I get we want to convert him into a right winger, but the lad is still new to this level and with the static nature of our team, he is finding it hard now.

abk92

This signing would have made sense if we actually had a decent winger in our team so he could be an option from the bench or to rotate with but we don't.

He is not good enough to be a starter for any team in this league.

Last edited:

Woodzy

Genuinely sad that his performances dropped so rapidly. Thought he would make it but at the moment he’s still looking a Championship player.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
I really like him but he looks lost at the minute.

I don't understand why he can't use his absolute best strength - pace - and just fecking run at defenders. Why isn't he just knocking it and running?

There were times today (one counter in particular in the second half) where he had all the space in the world to just peg it past the defender and he wouldn't do it.

He seriously needs to learn a dip of the shoulder or a stepover or something and add a bit of variation to his play because if he isn't kicking and running then he's nullified instantly.

A bit of work with both Gareth Bale and Giggsy for Wales would probably do wonders.

Also he sure as hell needs to stay wide. Gary Neville pointed it out repeatedly but he was so far inside that we had no width whatsoever and Wolves had a wall of defenders in place so he just wasn't an option to pass to the majority of the game. Is it tactical or is he hiding?

RRCE

At the moment, he looks hopelessly out of his depth. I feel for the kid, though. He’s absolutely been thrown into the deep end. He’s hasn’t been good enough to justify the minutes he’s played, but the squad is so thin Ole just keeps throwing him back in. I don’t think his ceiling is very high to begin with, but I hope this doesn’t ruin him.

predator

Youth NITK
I like him and would love to see him succeed here but I think he isnt good enough to start for a top 6 side and probably never will - going by his physique and ability. He is a handy player to have in the squad but let's face it he looks like a schoolboy against decent defenders.

NormansDarkSide

After 2 thirds of a season its obvious he's not up to the level we would like him to be. I don't think he'll ever be to be honest. Pace is great, but you need something to go with it, I've just not seen it. Problem is we have no other option.

Canagel

How was it unpopular in the first place is a mystery. Kick and run merchant that has no business playing in a club of this magnitude

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Young player, potential, but very raw. He’s probably played too much due to a lack of options. Also, desperately needs some time in the weights room, his physicality is a joke

Dozer

Possibly the weakest (physically) player I can remember. Gets outmuscled by a breath of wind. He looks industrious and closes players down, and they then promptly swot him away like a fly.

Needs a rest first, but then needs to hit the gym.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
People need to chill the feck out.

He’s a young lad who’s made a big step up and has played far more football than anybody would have expected or planned for and has very much not been helped by playing for a manager with zero clue what the hell he’s doing.

He’s also getting very little protection from the referees. He’s too lightweight and gets knocked off the ball a little easily, and at times has a habit of going down too quickly, but even still he gets kicked all over the pitch and gets very little from the useless twats in charge to show for it.

I’m cautiously optimistic that a break followed by a preseason under a proper manager will see him grow into a more rounded player next season.

He’s got bucketloads of potential to unlock and dubbing him as “nothing more than a kick and run merchant” is very unfair.

AndersB

You see a similar development with a lot of pacey, but one-dimensional wingers. They start out strongly, but quickly get found out. Remember that McClean guy when he first came onto the PL scene. Did really well for a bit, then showed himself to be shit. Hopefully James won't have that trajectory though. He is young and will hopefully develop - and shouldn't be asked to play as big part as he is now

Tel074

People need to chill the feck out.

He’s a young lad who’s made a big step up and has played far more football than anybody would have expected or planned for and has very much not been helped by playing for a manager with zero clue what the hell he’s doing.

He’s also getting very little protection from the referees. He’s too lightweight and gets knocked off the ball a little easily, and at times has a habit of going down too quickly, but even still he gets kicked all over the pitch and gets very little from the useless twats in charge to show for it.

I’m cautiously optimistic that a break followed by a preseason under a proper manager will see him grow into a more rounded player next season.

He’s got bucketloads of potential to unlock and dubbing him as “nothing more than a kick and run merchant” is very unfair.

Very good post . If anyone knew anything about football you would realise exactly what you said is true .

mu4c_20le

What's the point of this thread anyways, other than to bash him after poor performances, and 'I told you so's?

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
He's being managed terribly. He's woefully off form and need a rest or benching for a few games. Whether he's good enough for us in the long term is up for debate but I believe he does have certain promising aspects to his game (he's shown he can put in a decent ball, is extremely industrious off the ball both offensively and defensively, is capable of stretching play, good counter attacking threat etc). As most have stated here, under ideal circumstances he should become a valuable squad player.

Overplaying a young player, who is in his first season at United, and is currently down the dumps, is completely on Ole. It's only going to damage his confidence and harm his development in the long run. I do realize the squad is sparse in numbers but once again, who is responsible for that? Piss poor management of a young player. Even a prodigiously talented youngster in his first season at United under these circumstances would be labelled a flop and discarded after a season with this sort of management.

Mainoldo

Deadwood. But I like the guy. Might aswell call him Solskjær Jr.

dove

But he really is, how is it unfair? He cannot pass, cannot dribble past a defender, cannot shoot, cannot cross, movement is terrible, decision making even worse. I must miss something but apart from pace, what is his potential?

Dan_F

Rashford started off as a kick and rush player with the head down. Took him a while to shake it off . James needs to do it fast and figure out something else but at the moment I’m struggling to see what he can actually bring to the team.
Rasford scored 8 goals in his first season, after playing his first game in February. I’m pretty confident James won’t score 8 goals in a whole season for us. Rashford was always quick with the ball. I just don’t see that with James. Quick running onto the ball, but doesn’t have the technique to be good enough with it.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
No he did not

Of course hes not very good. Hes 22, in his first season in the top flight, and playing in a terribly disjointed team. I despair at some of our 'fans', desperate to either write players off or herald them as the next Messi. Give him a pre season and a half functional team and then make a judgement on him.

Pennywise

He's regressed massively. Maybe a proper manager could get more out of him

el3mel

Of course hes not very good. Hes 22, in his first season in the top flight, and playing in a terribly disjointed team. I despair at some of our 'fans', desperate to either write players off or herald them as the next Messi. Give him a pre season and a half functional team and then make a judgement on him.
He's not going to turn world beater when these happen though. He's just not good enough to be a starter for Man United and will probably never be with his set of skills. His peak will be a decent squad option to come from the bench whenever spaces open in the opposition defense. Nothing more.

His start of the season was so brilliant that we hoped it will be a different scenario but ultimately what should have happened, happened.

ManchesterYoda

I'm sick of people defending him. Shit players like James and Lingard should not be playing for Manchester United. I don't care that they are British. They are deadwood and need to be sold. End of story. James is 22 not a teenager. I do not want him here until he's 27 like Lingard. Get rid NOW.