"Up to 11 players now want to leave United after becoming disillusioned with life at the club."

Orton

Ati-virus, keeps missing the n button
For me, the biggest problem is the wage structure and has been for a long time. We started out so well under Ole, the recruitment was focused on players who had something to prove, and they came in on healthy but reasonable wages. Say what you like about the quality of Dan James, AWB, Fernandes and Maguire but we came 3rd and then 2nd, and we didn't have this nonsense, with leaks and 'split dressing rooms'.

We seem to have lost our way again at the start of the season. Three players bought in and one renewed for a total weekly combined salary of around £1.4m. It's ridiculous. What message does it send to the lads who have worked hard to earn those league positions, who have been loyal to the club? What must, Greenwood, for example, think, seeing Sancho come in on £350K? What must Maguire, the club captain, think when a player turns up on £500K per week?

What people are quick to forget is that footballers are human, and have human wants, needs, desires and emotions. It's just a fact that if you have given 5/6 years service at your workplace, and some 21 year old kid comes in earning 4/5x weekly what you earn, you are going to be REALLY pissed off. It's not just about the money, it's about respect and having to earn it.

No player should EVER come into the club on a higher salary than the captain. No player should EVER come into the club in the top salary bracket. If a player won't sign because we won't instantly put them in that bracket, then great, it's a brilliant test of their real motivations.

Personally, I would give every player on a salary north of £200K the option - instantly sign a new deal on the same salary as Maguire (as club captain) or piss off - I guarantee no other club would pay them the money.
I guarantee you no big club would sign Maguire and make him captain. Mid table player on high end wages. We have a lot of those. A lot of players came in here with bigger and better reputations than him. Sancho getting 350k is laughable. This guy has been possibly even worse a signing than Pepe for Arsenal, and that’s saying something.

Lentwood

Why would Henderson be complaining? He’s not as good as De Gea, he’s not displacing him. If he’s unhappy ask to leave. Same to the others.

Maguire is the worst of the lot. Hopefully he’s one of the ones wanting out too. He won’t be missed.
They are complaining because the management clearly haven't been straight with them. We all know, because it's was widely reported by legitimate sources, that Ole convinced Lingard, Henderson and van de Beek they were part of his plans for this season. How many games have they started between them?

I would be pissed off personally, because it's one thing a manager saying 'I think De Gea is a better GK, you will be the #2', that's fair enough. It's totally another to string a player along, make out they will be a much bigger part of the team than they are AGAIN for another season, potentially damaging their career in the process.

On the subject of Maguire, you (and many others to be fair) have it totally back-to-front. You call out poor attitude, sulkers, whingers etc...and then advocate for the good, solid, hard-working lads to leave. Whatever you think about Maguire's abilities, has he EVER done anything to suggest he is anything other than 100% committed to the club?

The players you want out are the bluffers, the whingers, the people who think they are bigger than the club or better than their teammates. No if's or but's, attitude is everything. SAF knew that and was a master at managing the ego's and the dressing room. Confidence and high-standards are desired characteristics, but whingeing and entitlement are not.

MUFC OK

The bloke from the Daily Mail leaking these stories is a City fan btw lads.

Oranges038

I'll be honest, it's neither the players or managers to blame for this but rather the board who fail to sell players out at the right time.

By selling players at the right time, and bringing better ones in, we would have a fresh atmosphere with continuous competition
Who is going to sell the players? You cannot sell players the manager wants to keep or sell players who don't want to leave.

The manager should tell the board or the player they must leave and find a new club.
Imagine the outrage if the board just started selling players from under the managers nose. It falls back on Ole that after his initial good work he allowed the squad to become bloated again.

The players should also have the common sense to know when they are not wanted or needed. But when you are on massive money why would you leave only to get paid less elsewhere?

Zen86

Everyone loves the idea of some hardnose coming in and telling the players whats what, but having discontent and losing the dressing room before you've even got going will not do Ralf any favours. The application of the players isn't great, but managers generally don't survive when things hit a certain point. It's a problem that he needs to solve.

sancho1983

It's a sad state of affairs where I wouldn't be unhappy at any player leaving apart from Greenwood. The rest can all do one.

Amazing it's got to this. This squad is one of the most cowardly, overpaid and underworked bunch of gutless wonders I've ever seen in football

Orton

They are complaining because the management clearly haven't been straight with them. We all know, because it's was widely reported by legitimate sources, that Ole convinced Lingard, Henderson and van de Beek they were part of his plans for this season. How many games have they started between them?

I would be pissed off personally, because it's one thing a manager saying 'I think De Gea is a better GK, you will be the #2', that's fair enough. It's totally another to string a player along, make out they will be a much bigger part of the team than they are AGAIN for another season, potentially damaging their career in the process.

On the subject of Maguire, you (and many others to be fair) have it totally back-to-front. You call out poor attitude, sulkers, whingers etc...and then advocate for the good, solid, hard-working lads to leave. Whatever you think about Maguire's abilities, has he EVER done anything to suggest he is anything other than 100% committed to the club?

The players you want out are the bluffers, the whingers, the people who think they are bigger than the club or better than their teammates. No if's or but's, attitude is everything. SAF knew that and was a master at managing the ego's and the dressing room. Confidence and high-standards are desired characteristics, but whingeing and entitlement are not.
I’m just at a point (as are many others) where I’m just past caring about this squad. Horrible bunch. Can’t think of any other top team acting this way. We reward mediocrity with new contracts and sign players for the wrong reasons. It’s baffling. Ronaldo broke the wage structure even more, and he’s barely even able to play football anymore. At least he can sell a few shirts and score a few tap ins though.

Ole should have culled a the squad a bit more, that’s obvious. Why would you keep guys like Lingard in there when you basically play the same team every week. Money on the other hand probably kept them sweet while they sat warming the bench, or the stands.

Tom Van Persie

No relation

How can they be "senior squad" if they're leaving to get regular football? Surely the senior squad are playing consistently? This whole shitstorm feel's like it's one man's (Lingard) opinion and doing.

Lentwood

I’m just at a point (as are many others) where I’m just past caring about this squad. Horrible bunch. Can’t think of any other top team acting this way. We reward mediocrity with new contracts and sign players for the wrong reasons. It’s baffling. Ronaldo broke the wage structure even more, and he’s barely even able to play football anymore. At least he can sell a few shirts and score a few tap ins though.

Ole should have called the squad a bit more, that’s obvious. Why would you keep guys like Lingard in there when you basically play the same team every week. Money on the other hand probably kept them sweet while they sat warming the bench, or the stands.
Me too, I feel your pain. I'd quite happily sell every single senior player to be honest, save cash for three seasons and then go again from a completely new base. Fans wouldn't go for that though, because 'patience' amongst football supporters means about four games.

So what I would probably do, as I said elsewhere, is just offer all the lads on 200K+ a choice. Either accept a new weekly salary of £190K (which is what the club captain earns) or you can go and take your chances elsewhere.

It's not about Maguire being 'the best player', it's about awarding salaries based on status, years of service and merit. Bruno earns £180K per week, fair enough, he earnt that initially and was a key senior player. Maguire earns £190K, as captain of Manchester United, I would say that is fair. Luke Shaw earns £150K, again, I would say reasonable, 7/8 seasons of service, senior player, international footballer.

What you can't have, is Jadon Sancho, 21 years old, coming into the club from a significantly weaker league, doesn't get in the national side...suddenly earning £350K a week. Varane, walks in from Real Madrid, earns double what the captain earns. Ronaldo, 36 years old, walks in on more than 5x what some of his starting XI teammates earn. It's just crazy, absolute madness.

You must get my point? I don't know what you do for a living, but how would you feel if someone with 10 years less experience walked into the organisation on double or treble your salary? How would you feel if someone doing the same job walked in earning 5x your salary? You'd be livid.

Matt851

Well they're threatening to move so let's see how serious about it they are. Call their bluff and lets see what happens
I think we know we would end up with them continuing to stick up the bench. We may have to subsidise their wages to get rid of some players

Orton

Me too, I feel your pain. I'd quite happily sell every single senior player to be honest, save cash for three seasons and then go again from a completely new base. Fans wouldn't go for that though, because 'patience' amongst football supporters means about four games.

So what I would probably do, as I said elsewhere, is just offer all the lads on 200K+ a choice. Either accept a new weekly salary of £190K (which is what the club captain earns) or you can go and take your chances elsewhere.

It's not about Maguire being 'the best player', it's about awarding salaries based on status, years of service and merit. Bruno earns £180K per week, fair enough, he earnt that initially and was a key senior player. Maguire earns £190K, as captain of Manchester United, I would say that is fair. Luke Shaw earns £150K, again, I would say reasonable, 7/8 seasons of service, senior player, international footballer.

What you can't have, is Jadon Sancho, 21 years old, coming into the club for a significantly weaker league, doesn't get in the national side...suddenly earning £350K a week.

You must get my point? I don't know what you do for a living, but how would you feel if someone with 10 years less experience walked into the organisation on double or treble your salary? You'd be livid.
If it’s true and the club are paying Sancho that amount then no wonder there’s a mutiny. He’s offered nothing since signing for us, and this supposed big transfer window was our path to success too. Almost a million a week for Sancho and Ronaldo. No wonder we are the laughing stock of the league. Liverpool’s whole attacking unit probably earn less combined which just shows you where the clubs priorities are.

I want us to start from scratch. Really do. Mercenaries are what we used to describe players who signed for City, but in the end it turns out we are the ones signing them all.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Tend to take these types of reports with a pinch of salt. Full of easy clickbait comments that write themselves whenever United are in a tough period.

Even if this is true though, I find the notion of a squad rebuild somewhat refreshing. I think we all probably completely blind towards how difficult it is for the club to just get rid of players, and you can't simply dump a half dozen assets at rock bottom prices because most of those spaces are going to need to be filled and clubs aren't going to do United any favours.

However, there is obviously some fat that can very easily be trimmed. Henderson, Bailly, Martial, Mata, Pogba, Lingard are all highly unlikely to be here next season, and we won't miss any of them. That has to be close to £50m on our wage bill right there, which is staggering really.

Corridor of Uncertainty

I'd love to know how many of those that want to leave would be willing to take a reduction in wages to do so. I'll go out of a limb here, not many.

I fecking hate these players. I've never known such a sensitive bunch of primadonnas to ever play for us. Maybe a max exodus of players who have downed tools for countless managers and hold far too much power for achieving absolutely feck all would be a good thing.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
They just wanna drive Ralf out if this is true. None of them will be willing to take wage cuts and actually leave given no one else is gonna pay even half of what they get here.
This could be true, but I think fans are now seeing the light with regards to the players and they will not get the support they think if another coach/manager goes.

DomesticTadpole

It’s pretty obvious from the performances that the players are not happy. The club is screwed, even I’ve lost interest after 26 years of support. I’m so indifferent towards the club these days.
The players are rarely happy, they wake up each morning thinking of something to be unhappy about.

DomesticTadpole

Honestly not bothered at all. They were pampered for three years and now feel ‘oppressed’ because they’ve essentially been told they have to work a hell of a lot harder. I don’t really like many of our players and those I do, pastor Fred, McT, Henderson etc. I know deep down are probably going to leave or aren’t really elite quality.

RR is known to only sign players under 24 and focus on developing young, hungry and dynamic players - is it any wonder a lot of our sluggish crowd are worried? I don’t know if we have a single player I’d categorise and dynamic and hungry right now, our players seem to think they’ve all made it and are global brands.
Yeah, you wonder if it is a bit of a who blinks first situation. Who can be get rid of first, players or manager. The fact Murtough got him in and admires him, the players might be on a hiding to nothing this time.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
This could be true, but I think fans are now seeing the light with regards to the players and they will not get the support they think if another coach/manager goes.
Yep. They've overplayed the "it's not us it's him" card now. The money they're all on and the constant leaking to the press like spoilt children should be enough to turn the majority of the core fan base against them. I personally am sick to death of it and wish we'd just bin anyone who doesn't want to be here.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
Haven't you just done this exact thing with Pogba?
I haven't posted about Pogba since he got injured and before that I was praising him. The only thing I dislike about Pogba is his dickhead of an agent and I believe if it wasn't for Raiola Pogba's United career would've been much better.

Ash_G

Tend to take these types of reports with a pinch of salt. Full of easy clickbait comments that write themselves whenever United are in a tough period.

Even if this is true though, I find the notion of a squad rebuild somewhat refreshing. I think we all probably completely blind towards how difficult it is for the club to just get rid of players, and you can't simply dump a half dozen assets at rock bottom prices because most of those spaces are going to need to be filled and clubs aren't going to do United any favours.

However, there is obviously some fat that can very easily be trimmed. Henderson, Bailly, Martial, Mata, Pogba, Lingard are all highly unlikely to be here next season, and we won't miss any of them. That has to be close to £50m on our wage bill right there, which is staggering really.
Agreed, there's definitely some exaggeration in there as a number of these players are ones we were expecting to be moving on after this season.

What you would hope though is that we do a real internal look at what's gone wrong as some of the decisions we've made this season and since SAF left are odd.

This season for example you look at Lingard and it's just odd to me why we wouldn't sell him in the summer, even at a discount if he didn't want to commit to a new contract and when in reality it was always going to be hard to give him much game time with the number of attackers we had.

More generally you look at the wages we've been paying and more importantly how our wages compare to other clubs and you have to say that we are overpaying people given the relative lack of recent success we've had compared to our competitors. It feels to me that we pay top value and hope the player will perform rather than making them earn their wage through performances.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
But will they take a potentially massive pay drop to move?
I mean, if they're unhappy here then they aren't going to stay. I get the point you're trying to make but it doesn't make sense for them logically, they'll take a pay cut if it means leaving.

Greck

Players are definitely on something for thinking it's a good move to go to the press about having to work late. These guys are so way out of touch with reality thinking anyone's going to side with them. I don't even know who started those medical trips to Dubai. Rangnick now looks like the bad guy for injecting common feckin sense that players should rehab at the club. "Oppressive atmosphere".

He has only managed 4 or 5 games, what playing time? We haven't even had any as a club the last couple weeks. Maybe RR should have scheduled games during the covid downtime.

BlueHaze

It's hard to understand how people like these get payed the amount they do to show up to work, down tools to get Ole sacked and when they get what they want they start crying 1 month after the new manager has arrived.

I am of the opinion that more than half this team needs to be fecked off. But when you are in need of an overhaul and the people responsible are Glazer's then you are in deep trouble. The people upstairs havn't a clue how to build a succesful team.

DomesticTadpole

I mean, if they're unhappy here then they aren't going to stay. I get the point you're trying to make but it doesn't make sense for them logically, they'll take a pay cut if it means leaving.
Think it will be a mixture of them not taking too big a pay cut and us getting a good fee for some of them. Lingard and Pogba should be out the door and at least get something for them. They won't though, they want the big money in their back pockets in the summer.

LennartsParadis

Time to realise, something is rotten in this squad. There is a lot of potential, which probably fooled us all. Horrible attitude. Clean out, bite the bullet. We aren't the first, nor last club with mishandled fortunes.
Wage structure & transfer dealings have been horrid, for a long time. The club needs new direction. Ralf has built clubs before and I'd much rather give him a chance, than trusting this group of players.

crossy1686

career ending
I think we know we would end up with them continuing to stick up the bench. We may have to subsidise their wages to get rid of some players
Honestly not bothered at this point, get them gone, tell them we'll make up their wages for one year. If they don't like it they can play for the reserve team and kiss any career they had goodbye

Eleven-Eighteen

This traces back to Woodward and the Glazers doesn't it? They had successfully silenced people with the Ronaldo signing, but it's clear now that one player even if Ronaldo cannot change the fortunes of a club that's been badly managed for a decade.

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
Who is going to sell the players? You cannot sell players the manager wants to keep or sell players who don't want to leave.

The manager should tell the board or the player they must leave and find a new club.
Imagine the outrage if the board just started selling players from under the managers nose. It falls back on Ole that after his initial good work he allowed the squad to become bloated again.

The players should also have the common sense to know when they are not wanted or needed. But when you are on massive money why would you leave only to get paid less elsewhere?
If Ed Woodward felt it on himself to block transfers then there's no reason he could have suggested that players move either. There doesn't have to be any such limitation. This is a case of a player is sat on the bench for 30 odd weeks a season and neither the board nor manager take initiative to start the conversion of potentially moving the player on.

AltiUn

This traces back to Woodward and the Glazers doesn't it? They had successfully silenced people with the Ronaldo signing, but it's clear now that one player even if Ronaldo cannot change the fortunes of a club that's been badly managed for a decade.
It all goes back to them eventually, they're the only constant in the last decade.

DomesticTadpole

It's hard to understand how people like these get payed the amount they do to show up to work, down tools to get Ole sacked and when they get what they want they start crying 1 month after the new manager has arrived.

I am of the opinion that more than half this team needs to be fecked off. But when you are in need of an overhaul and the people responsible are Glazer's then you are in deep trouble. The people upstairs havn't a clue how to build a succesful team.
They want all the benefits without actually having to work for them. Do they not watch other teams? There is a reason teams above them are doing well, they work their socks off.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
I'm glad to hear it.

The club is so rotten to the core that in an ideal world a good 80% of this squad is moved in within the next 24 months.

Pogba, Martial, Lingard, VDB and Ronaldo will all be long gone by July whether we want them or not. I'd hope and expect Matic, Mata and one of the CBs to be on that list too. Still leaves us with plenty of shite - but it's time to see what we have within the ranks at the club to start plugging these gaps, and making genuine transfer plans for a series of good, young, hungry players to come in on modest wages rather than giving them the world at 21.

We've spent the last decade convincing players to sign for astronomical wages, rather than giving them an opportunity to earn it - and then were surprised it hasn't worked out :lol:

AltiUn

They want all the benefits without actually having to work for them. Do they not watch other teams? There is a reason teams above them are doing well, they work their socks off.
With our next batch of players we should just make our contracts 90% performance based, maybe that'll motivate them :wenger:

crossy1686

career ending
The board are at fault for backing the managers too much in regards to signings and not being clinical enough with the deadweight we've been carrying for years. Jose signed Pogba then wanted him gone, he'd have got his wish at Chelsea but we fired him instead of selling Pogba and Martial. To be clear, Jose should have gone but those two should have been right behind him. We can only presume Solskjaer believed Pogba would sign a new contract and Martial would come good again, which just shows you how weak decision making as a collective can get you royally fecked

DomesticTadpole

If Ed Woodward felt it on himself to block transfers then there's no reason he could have suggested that players move either. There doesn't have to be any such limitation. This is a case of a player is sat on the bench for 30 odd weeks a season and neither the board nor manager take initiative to start the conversion of potentially moving the player on.
Agree with this. SAF would have just suggested that there was not much of a future for a player like that and a new club should be found for the players sake. We have just let these players stagnate and actually lose value while apparently trying to protect their value.

SER19

Bingo. Wolves put them to shame