US exam cheating scandal

edcunited1878

That must go down well with the rest of the team I imagine.
In most college football programs in D1, you can have up to 115 players on a team. While not everybody can dress or be on the active game day roster, many of the privileged who 'walked on' the team are scout team, 4th choice at their positions. The players know why someone is on the team. It's when the free pass players start acting bigger than they really are to the first team squad when shit gets crazy because it's more like, dude know your role and stick to it. If you had any meaningful talent, you would be working your ass off during lift sessions, film and test well or at least improve then maybe get a couple practice reps.

edcunited1878

I know a fair amount of college football and college wrestling coaches. I don’t know that I’ve ever heard of this happening.

Not saying it “never” happens, but “rampant”?
Yeah, you're in SEC country so it's not as rampant. But I'm used to the Non-Power 5 Conferences where every dollar towards the program goes a long way. Any six-figure donation to a non-power 5 football program by a parent with a child should easily see said child on the football team or really any athletic program/team.

Even at USC, there are many kids who have parents like team doctors or physicians of staff. It's like their kids are already enrolled, and they may want to have a 'hobby' while in college. So you played high school football, weren't any good but go into USC because of previous generations and you're next. So not only will the uni continue the family legacy, but the family will donate a shitload of money to the athletic department (tax break, exclusive donor benefits, etc.) and low and behold the kid is on the football team.

Carolina Red

Staff
Yeah, you're in SEC country so it's not as rampant. But I'm used to the Non-Power 5 Conferences where every dollar towards the program goes a long way. Any six-figure donation to a non-power 5 football program by a parent with a child should easily see said child on the football team or really any athletic program/team.

Even at USC, there are many kids who have parents like team doctors or physicians of staff. It's like their kids are already enrolled, and they may want to have a 'hobby' while in college. So you played high school football, weren't any good but go into USC because of previous generations and you're next. So not only will the uni continue the family legacy, but the family will donate a shitload of money to the athletic department (tax break, exclusive donor benefits, etc.) and low and behold the kid is on the football team.
The majority of college football coaches I know are in the SoCon, the Big South, and Pioneer League. Definitely not SEC programs.

Also, are you talking about walk-on, non-scholarship practice dummies, or actually being on the team?

edcunited1878

The majority of college football coaches I know are in the SoCon, the Big South, and Pioneer League. Definitely not SEC programs.

Also, are you talking about walk-on, non-scholarship practice dummies, or actually being on the team?
I'm talking about on the team with a scholarship. The walk-ons are obviously on their own and have to accommodate their student schedule around football, which is incredibly different/difficult. But so many kids do it because they love football and can balance the commitment with school.

Carolina Red

Staff
I'm talking about on the team with a scholarship. The walk-ons are obviously on their own and have to accommodate their student schedule around football, which is incredibly different/difficult. But so many kids do it because they love football and can balance the commitment with school.
Man, they’re not giving one of their limited scholarships to a random kid. Smaller division schools have even fewer scholarships to give out than the big programs.

College football recruiting, even at lower divisions, is nationally covered and every one of those scholarships can easily be accounted for by any average fan.

Letting them be a non-scholarship walk-on? Sure.

That? There’s no way that is rampant.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Not sure I give too much of a shit about this really. Is it really worthy of being on the front page of the BBC website?
Yes. If you get caught, you deserve to be embarrassed. These people are cnuts.

edcunited1878

Man, they’re not giving one of their limited scholarships to a random kid. Smaller division schools have even fewer scholarships to give out than the big programs.

College football recruiting, even at lower divisions, is nationally covered and every one of those scholarships can easily be accounted for by any average fan.

Letting them be a non-scholarship walk-on? Sure.

That? There’s no way that is rampant.
There are only one to a few kids like this for a lot of programs, so it's rampant from what I know and have experienced throughout college. The amount per team isn't obviously very high.

Carolina Red

Staff
There are only one to a few kids like this for a lot of programs, so it's rampant from what I know and have experienced throughout college. The amount per team isn't obviously very high.
We just have very different definitions of “rampant”.

1 kid out of 100, yeah, sure. They’ll bring that kid on as a walk-on for a season or so, then if some kid from the previous recruiting class flunks out, quits, or transfers, then they’ll burn that scholarship on that kid. He paid his dues as a practice dummy by that point.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
No way any college wastes a limited athletic scholarship in D1 football or basketball on a fraud.
Basketball maybe. D1 football? There are 24 starting positions from offense and defense.

Most D1 schools have about 85 scholarships just for American football. They absolutely would waste one on frauds in schemes like this.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
This is one thing I don't get about the obsession of rich families in the US as to which college the kid is getting in. There are so many good colleges! People treat certain colleges as a lifetime golden ticket, but the truth to me seems that a competent individual that goes to any out of the dozens of good colleges has the lifetime golden ticket regardless.

(I know this is unrelated to this case, where it seems like parents just wanted to get their thoroughly useless kids into USC)
Networking

You can get an education as good as Harvard at any public state University but networking opportunities are a completely different thing.

Last edited:

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
What's this nonsense you guys are talking about multiple choice exams being easy or hard? It can be either of them.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
What's this nonsense you guys are talking about multiple choice exams being easy or hard? It can be either of them.
Or neither.

This is seriously over blown. How many man hours of FBI time went into this? Maybe priosritise based on potential harm rather than newsworthiness?

The Firestarter

I am also a bit baffled by this. Moreover , there is a lot more to us college admissions than tests .

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Nothing brings out ignorance, bigotry and a general holier-than-thou sentiment on the Caf like a thread about anything US-related.
If it makes you feel any better, there are Canadians implicated in this scandal as well. One prominent business man/former athlete paid $200k to have someone sit SATs for his two kids, including the creation of fake ID.

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
Networking

You can get an education as good as Harvard at any public state University but networking opportunities are a completely different thing.

Exactly - many of David Cameron's closest colleagues were Old Etonians. As the Eton Boating Song says "nothing in life shall sever the chain that is round us now".

When Boris Johnson left the Cabinet, that was the first time there hadn't been an Old Etonian in the Cabinet for over 50 years.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
The Europeans (especially the English) are obsessed for some reason. Weird, as we don't give two shits about them. Think it's an inferiority complex.
It's more a case of people being dumbfounded how a country that thinks so highly of itself can be that broken and corrupt on so many different levels. It's basically car crash TV, although so is England currently.

Arruda

Supports
Porto
The Europeans (especially the English) are obsessed for some reason. Weird, as we don't give two shits about them. Think it's an inferiority complex.
It's not an obsession. The US has tremendous influence and power all over the world, so are naturally scrutinized. For example I very much doubt the President of Brasil would be who it is if Trump hadn't been elected before in the US. Although the US cannot be held responsible (i.e., "blamed") for the choices other societies chose to make, it has a tremendous observational value, almost predictive. For example, the first time I heard of excessive political correctedness issues was in relation to American universities. Fast-forward two or three years and the exact same issue is being debated here in relation to the Portuguese universities. To suggest that other countries should ignore the US because you "don't give two shits about them" either is a bit stupid. Your influence is far beyond economical and military, it is cultural too.

You are also the biggest western developed country in the world. And size matters in these things. I was just mentally thinking about all EU countries and I know the name of the head of state of every country more populous than Portugal (except Netherlands and Poland) and don't know the name of any of the smaller countries (apart from Hungary, who is well known for the worst reasons). You naturally pay attention to who is bigger.

MTF

This is kind of what I was saying yesterday:
At Harvard, rates of attempted suicide are nearly twice the national rate for college students. Graduates of elite schools aren’t necessarily better off in the working world, either. In 2018, more CEOs of the top 100 graduated from Texas A&M than Harvard.*
https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/a...scandal-shows-elite-college-obsession/584719/
Obviously I don't have stats and I'm going off of anecdote. But I do read some number of executive bios as part of my job, and while you do see the elite schools with some frequency, you also often see good but unremarkable schools that a good high-school student wouldn't be massively stressed about getting into.

Arruda

Supports
Porto
This is kind of what I was saying yesterday:

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/a...scandal-shows-elite-college-obsession/584719/
Obviously I don't have stats and I'm going off of anecdote. But I do read some number of executive bios as part of my job, and while you do see the elite schools with some frequency, you also often see good but unremarkable schools that a good high-school student wouldn't be massively stressed about getting into.
Harvard is a relatively small university though, so that statistic isn't surprising. Undergraduates alone, enrollment at Texas is nearly 10 times bigger than Harvard. It's the second largest university in the US.

It also depends on what types of courses are on offer, a lot of Harvard prestige (and students) come from their medical and law schools which aren't the most likely professions to put you in a CEO spot, unlike engineering or business areas. Harvard does have great business post-grad courses but likely not enough to compete with the numbers a behemoth like Texas has.

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
Harvard is a relatively small university though, so that statistic isn't surprising. Undergraduates alone, enrollment at Texas is nearly 10 times bigger than Harvard. It's the second largest university in the US.

It also depends on what types of courses are on offer, a lot of Harvard prestige (and students) come from their medical and law schools which aren't the most likely professions to put you in a CEO spot, unlike engineering or business areas. Harvard does have great business post-grad courses but likely not enough to compete with the numbers a behemoth like Texas has.
Sorry to be that guy but Texas A&M is not the same as the University of Texas.