US exam cheating scandal

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
This is the funny part about that.

Admission to the crown jewels of NYC's public high school system, is determined by a single exam. You don't get in based on who you know, or how much your father donates to the school. If you do well enough on a single test, then you're in.

Normally you would think this is a fair way of admitting students. But because of the low number of black and Hispanic students, there is growing criticism that the test is biased against this demographic.

Another wrinkle is that these schools get filled predominantly by Asian students, not white students. So is the test biased in favor of Asians?
When is the exam taken?

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
This is the funny part about that.

Admission to the crown jewels of NYC's public high school system, is determined by a single exam. You don't get in based on who you know, or how much your father donates to the school. If you do well enough on a single test, then you're in.

Normally you would think this is a fair way of admitting students. But because of the low number of black and Hispanic students, there is growing criticism that the test is biased against this demographic.

Another wrinkle is that these schools get filled predominantly by Asian students, not white students. So is the test biased in favor of Asians?
Normally the test isnt biased. But the scoring system is sometimes rigged. As far as i know it's done mostly by computers with sets of constraint (e.g. score x and you're in, or score above this year median average, etc). Unless they specifically add more weight on race and ehm... donations than the computer result is fair. In most cases the board or relevant people would simply made a letter of recommendation to bypass the computer.

In my country they ask for these specific things where i suspect will determine my admission:
Religion : which most of the time tells you which race you are
Ex school : same as above, priority for same religion with said institution
Voluntary donation : put in enough you'll get your spot regardless of your test score.
Building and facility donation : same

Carolina Red

Staff
Olivia Jade is struggling to come to terms with the backlash she’s faced since her parents Lori Loughlin and Mossimo Giannulli were charged in the nationwide college admissions scam.

“Olivia is still distraught and embarrassed. She hasn’t been home much,” a source tells PEOPLE of the popular YouTuber. “She is very angry with her parents. She just wants to figure out how she can rebuild her brand.”

Olivia Jade, who was vocal about her indifferent attitude toward school before the scandal broke, “blames her parents for everything,” the source adds.

She would have never gone along with it if she thought this would happen. Her thing is that she trusted her parents,” the source says. “Olivia spends most of her time with close friends and her boyfriend.” (She is dating model/musician Jackson Guthry.)
https://people.com/tv/lori-loughlin-daughter-olivia-jade-embarrassed-college-scandal/

Aww, poor thing. She wouldn't have done it if she knew they'd get caught.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
So the kids are saying they didn't know. They take us for mugs.

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
Aww...you guys, her brand!!! HER BRAND!!!!!
She hasn't posted on her Instagram for about 6 weeks. She stupidly left it open to comments for a while after this story broke, and it was a bit of a laugh reading them. I think she had a contract with Sephora, which I understand is an expensive cosmetics brand in the USA? Anyway, that's been cancelled, plus another one with the hair products brand Tresemmé. I can guarantee she'll be more upset about that than she is about losing her college place.

I find it hilarious that you can get a college place on the basis of your rowing prowess when you've never rowed.

Adisa

She hasn't posted on her Instagram for about 6 weeks. She stupidly left it open to comments for a while after this story broke, and it was a bit of a laugh reading them. I think she had a contract with Sephora, which I understand is an expensive cosmetics brand in the USA? Anyway, that's been cancelled, plus another one with the hair products brand Tresemmé. I can guarantee she'll be more upset about that than she is about losing her college place.

I find it hilarious that you can get a college place on the basis of your rowing prowess when you've never rowed.
Is she an actress or something?

Adisa

Someone a certain group of people will aspire to be like, who gets paid to promote products on social media. In her case, she's appealing to teenage girls who are interested in being pretty, slim and fashionable.
Thanks. Didn't know that's now a job .

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Thanks. Didn't know that's now a job .
Has been for a while. Think Beckham but without any discernable talent.

That too...

But I heard there are admissions tutors for sale at certain universities

Oxford (not sure which college) and UCL, apparently.
The admissions tutors being for sale is a new one but influence of getting kids into Oxford etc isn't new. My History teacher at school went to Oxford and he said he knew people that had no business going there and wouldn't have done without the influence of their parents.

Halftrack

Has been for a while. Think Beckham but without any discernable talent.
I don't mind influencers who promotes fitness, training and living healthy, but I really hate those who only have their looks (and often a wealthy/famous parent) that end up becoming rich and famous for posting pictures of themselves in a club or at the beach. I reserve special hatred for the unfunny idiots on YouTube who pander to kids with moronic and exploitative videos where they do shit pranks or totally summon ghosts you guys, it's super scary!

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.

I think it's ironic how someone who's never done anything of value can pretend they have a brand.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I love the Onion. Just now it thought me that Moby is claiming in his book he dated Natalie Portman and she now denies that happened and said she remembers it as him being a creepy old man who acted inappropriately.

He then tried to refute it by posting this picture from their time together

As they say on the internets, seems legit.

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
So she gets to have 2 weeks of rest away from stress in a minimum security facility and pay 30k. Not bad.

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
So she gets to have 2 weeks of rest away from stress in a minimum security facility and pay 30k. Not bad.
Well, plus 250 hours community service and another year on supervision, plus the public humiliation of it all. I think the prison sentence is just a token - she'll get processed in, serve a few days there and be out again.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
That is such a misleading article. It even has a link to actual conviction where judge stated that the sentence was for selling drugs to undercover officers.

https://m.ctpost.com/news/article/Tanya-McDowell-sentenced-to-5-years-in-prison-3437974.php

Notwithstanding that the state of education not just in US but in many countries favours the rich. It should be changed.
From your ow article, she got 5 years in prison for the school case, and a different sentence for the drug case.