US exam cheating scandal

Henrik Larsson

Still logged in at RAWK (help!)
My professors handed us the tests or essay prompts, then went back to their offices.

I never saw a kid cheat. There were kids who did though, they got turned in by their peers and kicked out of school by the Honor Council, made up of their peers.

We all signed the Honor Code on our 1st day there, and in it we agreed that if we saw academic dishonesty and didn’t report it, it could be proven, that we would be put before the Honor Council as well.

No clue how many other universities do that system, but mine and the one my wife attended both had that in place.
Well that seems like pretty nice and very positive and mature system. And like @shamans said I can see why using a phone or a cheat sheet wouldn't be of much help in an advanced subject in most fields anyway, but that definitely doesn't stop all the universities over here (and presumably other forms of higher education as well) from putting a very authoritarian surveillance system in place.

Now we're at it I remember one poor guy having to take off his shoes during an exam once, just because he was fumbling his socks and they thought maybe he was hiding something there. And various law exams where you had to bring 600+ pages of case law printed out by the university, if there was one word or even a letter written in them by pen or pencil people would be disqualified, which sometimes created surreal discussions and breakdowns during the exam :lol:

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
I thought it was common knowledge that rich people bribed schools to let in their kids or give them special priviledge. Seemed so normal to me that I honestly forgot that it was illegal.

Makes you wonder how widespread it really is. I'm not aware anyone i went to University with cheated but its hardly the sort of thing you're going to broadcast if you did.

Moriarty

The same year I took the California bar exam back in the day, a woman, who was a practicing lawyer, actually took the exam in place of her husband. She was found out later on and disbarred. She worked for the SEC too. I heard that she petitioned for reinstatement but lost that case. Mind you, that exam was three days long and a real slog. I think it has changed since.

edcunited1878

we bought a horse
Hahaha. feckkkk. That's the 1% of the 1%.

USC is a private school and there's a BUNCH of shaddy shit that happens there in terms of favors, money and status. Academically, athletically and socially (which is true on most campuses, but at USC...wow)

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
I thought it was common knowledge that rich people bribed schools to let in their kids or give them special priviledge. Seemed so normal to me that I honestly forgot that it was illegal.
I think most of that is classified as endowments, where to benefactor can say, I won't give you $50 million unless you admit my nephew and such. There's some acceptance of that system but this issue is an organized racket helping less wealthy but still wealthy people cheat the entrance exam and scholarship system.

Red Defence

“United stands for attacking, attractive football
So the parents illegally pay (bribe) to get their kids accepted to prestigious colleges, the parents get found out and are prosecuted in court and their kid is then embarrassed not only by the prosecution but also by the fact that everyone now knows they weren’t clever enough to have got there the legitimate way. Nice one parents!

Last edited:

Carolina Red

Staff
So the parents illegally pay (bribe) to get their kids accepted to prestigious colleges, the parents get found out and are prosecuted in court and their kid is then embarrassed not only by the prosecution but also by the fact that everyone now knows they weren’t clever enough to be got there the legitimate way. Nice one parents!
The kids had to have known and played an active role in it.

edcunited1878

Oh yes, but now instead of being chuffed about it they’ll be embarrassed by it.
The thing is too, the kids aren't all dumb as people would like to image. They can still get into really good unis but status and pride overwhelms them.

Going to Pepperdine or USD or USF isn't as "cool" or "prestigious" as USC, Harvard, etc. feck that noise. Go where you're wanted/accepted and grasp it. It's a fecking social thing more than pure education thing which is soooo annoying.

Zlaatan

Parody Account
College (american/throwball) football in the united states is rampant with this. It's not that the athletic scholarship is fake, it's just that the parents paid the university and their "donation" or a lot of it directly goes to their choice of department. In these cases it's the athletic department donation/fund. With that, their child, who could have already been admitted as a regular student or not admitted at all because they couldn't qualify (i.e. wasn't smart enough or testing wasn't up to par), is now part of the team participating in practice, using student-athlete resources (food, equipment, education support, etc.) for 'free'.

There were plenty of 'student-athletes' that just took up space on the sidelines and looked the part. Couldn't do shit athletically if needed to do so in some functional manner.
That must go down well with the rest of the team I imagine.

Carolina Red

Staff
College (american/throwball) football in the united states is rampant with this. It's not that the athletic scholarship is fake, it's just that the parents paid the university and their "donation" or a lot of it directly goes to their choice of department. In these cases it's the athletic department donation/fund. With that, their child, who could have already been admitted as a regular student or not admitted at all because they couldn't qualify (i.e. wasn't smart enough or testing wasn't up to par), is now part of the team participating in practice, using student-athlete resources (food, equipment, education support, etc.) for 'free'.

There were plenty of 'student-athletes' that just took up space on the sidelines and looked the part. Couldn't do shit athletically if needed to do so in some functional manner.
I know a fair amount of college football and college wrestling coaches. I don’t know that I’ve ever heard of this happening.

Not saying it “never” happens, but “rampant”?

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
This is just a version of bribery. Exists everywhere unfortunately.

Accepting money for a sports scholarship is one thing....but then actually bringing them into the team is just stupidity and an easy way for the coach to get caught. I bet they play a secondary role or be in bench nominally before dropping off the program totally.

MTF

The thing is too, the kids aren't all dumb as people would like to image. They can still get into really good unis but status and pride overwhelms them.

Going to Pepperdine or USD or USF isn't as "cool" or "prestigious" as USC, Harvard, etc. feck that noise. Go where you're wanted/accepted and grasp it. It's a fecking social thing more than pure education thing which is soooo annoying.
This is one thing I don't get about the obsession of rich families in the US as to which college the kid is getting in. There are so many good colleges! People treat certain colleges as a lifetime golden ticket, but the truth to me seems that a competent individual that goes to any out of the dozens of good colleges has the lifetime golden ticket regardless.

(I know this is unrelated to this case, where it seems like parents just wanted to get their thoroughly useless kids into USC)

Carolina Red

Staff
This is one thing I don't get about the obsession of rich families in the US as to which college the kid is getting in. There are so many good colleges! People treat certain colleges as a lifetime golden ticket, but the truth to me seems that a competent individual that goes to any out of the dozens of good colleges has the lifetime golden ticket regardless.

(I know this is unrelated to this case, where it seems like parents just wanted to get their thoroughly useless kids into USC)
Connections. It isn’t what you know, but who you know.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Difference between good vs elite. You can get a good career from many colleges, but a elite start can only happen from few.

Abizzz

I've become so cynical that it's a suprise anyone would be suprised by this. I mean half of the republican braindeads went to decent colleges...

Red Defence

I've become so cynical that it's a suprise anyone would be suprised by this. I mean half of the republican braindeads went to decent colleges...
I’m not at all surprised by this, I am however surprised that the feds have followed through on the investigation and charged them. It’ll probably result in the usual “priveleged” justice though.... a fine that doesn’t make even the smallest dent in their overall wealth.

Carolina Red

Staff
:confused: It's not like they asked for this, right? Are you blaming the kids as well here?
Hell yes I am blaming them too.

SAT/ACT scores are mailed to you. When kids didn’t even sit for the exam, yet they have a stellar score in their mailbox/email, there’s a clue.

When you are recruited for an athletic scholarship, you meet and talk with the coach of the team. The “athlete” would have to know to lie their ass off, or, the more likely explanation, know that the coach was paid off to put them on the roster because they’ve never even played the sport before.

There’s no way in hell the kids weren’t in on it.

MTF

I feel sorry for no one, and hope this spawns a documentary in the same vein as the Fyre Festival one.

Red Defence

:confused: It's not like they asked for this, right? Are you blaming the kids as well here?
Parents paid Singer between $100,000 and $6.5 million to carry out the athletics admissions scheme, according to prosecutors, with most paying between $250,000 and $400,000 per student.

Singer worked with parents to fabricate athletic profiles for their children that boasted fake credentials, honors and participation in elite club teams. Sometimes it involved staged photographs, prosecutors say, or even doctored photos where a student's face would be posted onto a stock photo of an athlete pulled from the internet.
https://eu.usatoday.com/story/life/...d-admissions-bribery-case-reports/3139204002/
If you gain a place as an athlete and you’re not an athlete....?

Abizzz

@Abizzz
Folks wonder why the 3rd generation always runs the company into the ground...
https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/keeping-wealth-past-3rd-generation-scott-mccollum

Rich kids who shouldn’t be in college anyway taking over when they got by on the mantra “D for degree”
Yeah, there might be some universal truth to that 3rd generation thing. Even the 2nd generation is dependent on higher education actually adding value to the family business in that model, which isn't always the case. The first generation have the benefit of actually choosing/finding a business model that works, while for the following generations it's an entirely different motivation (keeping/improving social status).

But if they achieve what they do achieve via cheating it's even less of a suprise when it all goes tits up. These parents aren't doing their children any favours to be honest (not an excuse for the kids, you'd need to be seriously stupid not to notice it, Trump level stupid :D)

kidbob

Remeber Donald Trump went to college? If so why is this a surprise to anyone? The guy belonged in a remedial school.

kidbob

Yes, it’ll be a good learning curve for them, hopefully.
Ah yes because the rich always have to suffer the consequences of their actions. Or you know maybe Manafort could have been extradited to Ukraine for war crimes instead of a cushy 4 year number in the US. The rich have and will always be above the law.

edcunited1878

Or “you” score a 1450 on the SAT or a 33 on the ACT and can’t name the 50 states, use an Oxford comma, or find a derivative.
Or cannot even show up for class because A) you don't show up B) you don't even know where the classroom is until you're handheld, literally, walked to class