US Presidential Election: Tuesday November 6th, 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Someone said "Americans don't wank magic" earlier. Hell of a lot of pandering on to invisible people at these conventions though. Be it God or Clint's special chair friend..

Saliph

Love him or hate him, he's a stellar politician and a brilliant speaker.

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
Clinton is awesome. Attention whore that he maybe he's a great President and great speaker.

mjs020294

He is the best politician I have seen. Even the Monica incident adds to his legend in my eyes.

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
Clinton is spot on with his assessment of the economy and message.
He has some fantastic ideas too. I've watched some of his interviews and he's really a genuinely smart man. Great at rhetoric but also backs it up with solid ideas rather than the wishy washy generic talking points you get from regular politicians.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Fantastic speech. The Dems have already had a more successful convention than the GOP with Obama still to come.

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
I wonder if he's ever made Hillary/Monica orgasm by simply giving a speech in the bedroom.

mjs020294

Brilliant. Factual, great delivery and humor......he knocked it out of the park.

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
This must be up there with some of his greatest speeches ever. Even by Bill Clinton's standards that was brilliant!

Full of substance and full of energy.

The Dem convention has been a success already. Castro and Michelle yesterday and Clinton today.

Saliph

I remember he completely eviscerated the smug little bitch Chris Wallace of Fox News on the subject of al-Qaeda and bin Laden a few years back. That was really something too. Starts around 4:05

Neutral

BTV
highlights:

The Republican narrative is that all of us who amount to anything are completely self-made. One of our greatest Democratic Chairmen, Bob Strauss, used to say that every politician wants you to believe he was born in a log cabin he built himself, but it ain't so.

We Democrats think the country works better with a strong middle class, real opportunities for poor people to work their way into it and a relentless focus on the future, with business and government working together to promote growth and broadly shared prosperity. We think "we're all in this together" is a better philosophy than "you're on your own."

Who's right? Well since 1961, the Republicans have held the White House 28 years, the Democrats 24. In those 52 years, our economy produced 66 million private sector jobs. What's the jobs score? Republicans 24 million, Democrats 42 million!
In Tampa, the Republican argument against the President's re-election was pretty simple: we left him a total mess, he hasn't cleaned it up fast enough, so fire him and put us back in.
Are we where we want to be? No. Is the President satisfied? No. Are we better off than we were when he took office, with an economy in free fall, losing 750,000 jobs a month. The answer is YES.
The Recovery Act saved and created millions of jobs and cut taxes for 95% of the American people. In the last 29 months the economy has produced about 4.5 million private sector jobs. But last year, the Republicans blocked the President's jobs plan costing the economy more than a million new jobs. So here's another jobs score: President Obama plus 4.5 million, Congressional Republicans zero.
Over that same period, more than more than 500,000 manufacturing jobs have been created under President Obama – the first time manufacturing jobs have increased since the 1990s.
Now there are 250,000 more people working in the auto industry than the day the companies were restructured. Governor Romney opposed the plan to save GM and Chrysler. So here's another jobs score: Obama two hundred and fifty thousand, Romney, zero.

When Congressman Ryan looked into the TV camera and attacked President Obama's "biggest coldest power play" in raiding Medicare, I didn't know whether to laugh or cry. You see, that 716 billion dollars is exactly the same amount of Medicare savings Congressman Ryan had in his own budget.
I think the President's plan is better than the Romney plan, because the Romney plan fails the first test of fiscal responsibility: The numbers don't add up.

It's supposed to be a debt reduction plan but it begins with five trillion dollars in tax cuts over a ten-year period. That makes the debt hole bigger before they even start to dig out. They say they'll make it up by eliminating loopholes in the tax code. When you ask "which loopholes and how much?," they say "See me after the election on that."
People ask me all the time how we delivered four surplus budgets. What new ideas did we bring? I always give a one-word answer: arithmetic. If they stay with a 5 trillion dollar tax cut in a debt reduction plan – the – arithmetic tells us that one of three things will happen:

1) they'll have to eliminate so many deductions like the ones for home mortgages and charitable giving that middle class families will see their tax bill go up two thousand dollars year while people making over 3 million dollars a year get will still get a 250,000 dollar tax cut; or

2) they'll have to cut so much spending that they'll obliterate the budget for our national parks, for ensuring clean air, clean water, safe food, safe air travel; or they'll cut way back on Pell Grants, college loans, early childhood education and other programs that help middle class families and poor children, not to mention cutting investments in roads, bridges, science, technology and medical research; or

3) they'll do what they've been doing for thirty plus years now – cut taxes more than they cut spending, explode the debt, and weaken the economy. Remember, Republican economic policies quadrupled the debt before I took office and doubled it after I left. We simply can't afford to double-down on trickle-down.
My fellow Americans, you have to decide what kind of country you want to live in. If you want a you're on your own, winner take all society you should support the Republican ticket. If you want a country of shared opportunities and shared responsibilities – a "we're all in it together" society, you should vote for Barack Obama and Joe Biden. If you want every American to vote and you think its wrong to change voting procedures just to reduce the turnout of younger, poorer, minority and disabled voters, you should support Barack Obama. If you think the President was right to open the doors of American opportunity to young immigrants brought here as children who want to go to college or serve in the military, you should vote for Barack Obama. If you want a future of shared prosperity, where the middle class is growing and poverty is declining, where the American Dream is alive and well, and where the United States remains the leading force for peace and prosperity in a highly competitive world, you should vote for Barack Obama.

Status
Not open for further replies.