US Presidential Election: Tuesday November 6th, 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
Michelle is very different to Ann Romney. I don't know if that matters to anybody but the contrast between the two families is very striking. The Obamas seem natural, vivacious, and very relateable to ordinary people. I don't see the Romneys as anything like that. They seem like decent people but more like your grandparents than anything else.

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
The Obamas come across as so much more genuine than the Romneys.

See the thing is eventhough they are extraordinarily successful now, they can still relate to the common hardworking people in the country who are trying to make it.

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
This is an incedible performance. A very powerful speech that has completely energized the room and is coming across just as well on TV.

Ivor Ballokov

Absolutely brilliant. Not only did she nail the delivery and have the crowd roused she comes across as completely sincere in all she says.

mjs020294

CNN's coverage is pretty good. The fact checkers have just been analyzing some of the claims and it wasn't pretty.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
CNN minus Piers Morgan is quite good. Once he starts, it becomes obvious he's being provocative to save his show despite low ratings.

mjs020294

As for the fact checks; multiple speakers mentioned the 4.5 million private sector jobs created. The FACT is we have also lost 5 million private sector jobs as well. So its a net loss of 500,000 private sector jobs. On top of that we have lost 800,000 public sector jobs. Michelle Obama mentioned the 4.5 million jobs createed were good well paid jobs. In fact the bulk of the private sector jobs created have been at the lower end of the salary scale.

So basically politicians lie no matter what is the color of their tie.

For me they would have been a lot better getting facts that can't be denied out there, like:

- we were losing 700,000 jobs a month when Obama took over and we have just had 29 consecutive months of jobs growth.

Feeky Magee

keen violinist
As for the fact checks; multiple speakers mentioned the 4.5 million private sector jobs created. The FACT is we have also lost 5 million private sector jobs as well. So its a net loss of 500,000 private sector jobs. On top of that we have lost 800,000 public sector jobs. Michelle Obama mentioned the 4.5 million jobs createed were good well paid jobs. In fact the bulk of the private sector jobs created have been at the lower end of the salary scale.

For me they would have been a lot better getting facts that can't be denied out there, like:

- we were losing 700,000 jobs a month when Obama took over and we have just had 29 consecutive months of jobs growth.
It's absolute lunacy to say there's no difference between the Republicans and the Democrats in the amount of lying.

Excal

mjs, that's a pretty pathetic bit of spin-doctoring yourself. 4.5million starts from January 2010, one year after he took office, and about as early as anyone being honest can credit to or blame Obama for, given the time the new budget and the stimulus needed to actually be implemented. Here's the graph for January 2008 through the present:

The nadir of that point is February 2010, when there were approximately 106.7M private sector jobs. The point prior when there was about 5M more than that was December 2008, before Obama took office.

More to the point, that graph makes it blatantly clear when the job losses were slowed and when the job creation began. You can credit the Administration's policies for those changes as much or as little as you like, but to try to pretend that there somehow hasn't been any gain as the Democrats are saying is either ignorance or deliberate falsehood on the part of anyone repeating it.

To equate it with the many many lies told by Paul Ryan (maybe the fact-checkers were tired because they just finished documenting all of his?) and Mitt Romney is simply absurd.

mjs020294

mjs, that's a pretty pathetic bit of spin-doctoring yourself.
It was taken directly from politifact. ;)
It's absolute lunacy to say there's no difference between the Republicans and the Democrats in the amount of lying.
NPR run a segment several times a week called "Pants on Fire". They take the various adverts and things spouted by the parties and let politifact research them. Then they rate them: true; half true; pants on fire.

I have been listening to those segments all summer and there isn't a massive difference between the two parties. Neither get too many "true" scores, and I would say teh democrats get slightly less pants on fire but its very marginal.

Jaz

There's always some bullshit about future presidents. It's usually wildly wrong, and the media simply in overdrive because they have nothing better to say. One keynote and everyone goes wild, disappear by the next one.

Hillary clinton, Bobby Jindal, Haley, Rubio, Castro, Huntsman.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever

Just a small point, for your average American a job "at the lower end of the salary scale" is a good job.

holdsteady

Hates Sir Alex Ferguson
Bill is going to kill it tonight.

His ability to connect with low info and lower-middle class voters is untouchable.

mjs020294

Just a small point, for your average American a job "at the lower end of the salary scale" is a good job.
Not really sure what your point is there TBH. If someone loses a job on $50k and ends up taking another on $40k they still face a fair amount of hardship. My main point was although jobs have been created they have not even come close to the jobs lost in terms of numbers and quality of jobs.

Not necessarily blaming Obama; he inherited shit and the world economy is on the rocks. I just don't like the message they were sending out because it is inaccurate and there are better ways of campaigning, LIKE:

took office losing 500,000 jobs a month and the last 29 months we have seen jobless numbers declining.

That message highlights what he inherited and what he has achieved. Saying 4.5 million jobs have been created can be challenged and it really doesn't paint the whole picture.

mjs020294

when does a pol looking to get elected ever paint the full picture?
Obama would have a better chance of reelection with the correct message. The 4.5 million jobs created message was repeated by 5 different speakers last night and it was debunked within 30 minutes of the DNC finishing for the evening. So they wasted a lot of hot air only to look like liars or at the very least manipulative to anyone watching CNN, NBC, ABC and probably Fox.

Status
Not open for further replies.