US/UK/France launch airstrikes in Syria

nickm

Ridiculous, she should be united in response such a weak leader. She's just giving Putin what he wants by questioning it that's how he operates.

I think THATS how it works.
Not really. Going to war/ launching military action should indeed require a very high standard of evidence given the consequences of being wrong. On this, she's right.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Not really. Going to war/ launching military action should indeed require a very high standard of evidence given the consequences of being wrong. On this, she's right.
She may already have the information but lacks the domestic political to proceed.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Whatever happened to the element of surprise Trump was banging on about - remember "WE ARE GOING TO ATTACK MOSUL"?

Nikhil

She may already have the information but lacks the domestic political to proceed.
If she had the intelligence and proof, the Executive would have shared it with MPs to strengthen their position in case of a Commons vote. I don't think they have proof as of now. Cameron lost the vote decisively in 2013 and the PLP went against Corbyn in 2015.

Labour MPs like Gardiner and Skinner will definitely vote against her. Lib Dems, the SNP, loads of Tories. She risks dividing the caucus further at a time when they have started to support her and she's in a better position now than she was last summer. She's not going to risk a vote or military action.

Carolina Red

Staff
It would be true if it wasn't for a very little, but important detail. It's NATO that threatens to attack Assad/Russia, not the other way around.

The whole thing is a farce. Assad should be the one demanding US coalition to feck off back to wherever they came from since they have neither official permission from the country's government nor UN mandate to conduct military operations in Syria. That's what international law says, no? Instead, the aggressor threatens the country's president and its ally with the use of force.
NATO is threatening to directly attack Russia? That’s just a bit of a stretch.

I agree that the whole thing is a farce. It’s not like Russia is there out of the goodness of Putin’s heart. All he cares about is his Mediterranean naval base.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
If she had the intelligence and proof, the Executive would have shared it with MPs to strengthen their position in case of a Commons vote. I don't think they have proof as of now. Cameron lost the vote decisively in 2013 and the PLP went against Corbyn in 2015.

Labour MPs like Gardiner and Skinner will definitely vote against her. Lib Dems, the SNP, loads of Tories. She risks dividing the caucus further at a time when they have started to support her and she's in a better position now than she was last summer. She's not going to risk a vote or military action.
I suspect she'd struggle to get it through. As you say plenty of Tories would be against her, Corbyn would probably whip the Labour Party against it, and Lib Dems/SNP would oppose. Doing it without parliamentary approval would be quite dodgy as well.

Smores

Sorry should have put white text, we were calling out the hypocrisy after the same accusations were thrown on Corbyn for him questioning the integriy of evidence and procedure.

I agree with the stance of caution and don't see any case for immediacy. If they're not confident they could wait and gather the intel to confirm then id also question the strength of their current intel.

antihenry

CAF GRU Rep
You can't think of one because you're not a psychopath. It's a simple and cold as that.
They certainly wouldn't if it involves sources and methods.
These are two of my favourite quotes here. "But why would he do something that's completely illogical and damaging to his cause?" "Well, that's because he's a psychopath."
"But where's the proof that he did it?" " We have it, but we can't show it because then the enemy will know our sources and methods." "Oh well, bomb away then."

I wonder how long it'll take before people start questioning the neverending bullshit they're being fed. Probably not soon enough.

Nikhil

I suspect she'd struggle to get it through. As you say plenty of Tories would be against her, Corbyn would probably whip the Labour Party against it, and Lib Dems/SNP would oppose. Doing it without parliamentary approval would be quite dodgy as well.
It would have been nice if the Lib Dems had more seats. They are being the pro-Europe anti-austerity voice in Parliament and they aren't getting enough credit for it. The SNP as well. But regarding the Syria vote, yeah, I can see Opposition being more or less united against her. Labour would unite behind Corbyn, even the Blairites.

Also, quite a few people in her Cabinet like David Davis and Michael Fallon do not really support her on numerous issues. The only person she is really close to is Hammond. That's why he's Chancellor in the first place. You can't be the Premier without having a good relationship with the Chancellor, can you!

Raoul

Admin
Staff
These are two of my favourite quotes here. "But why would he do somthing that's completely illogical and damaging to his cause?" "Well,that's because he's a psychopath."
"But where's the proof that he did it?" " We have it, but we can't show it because then the enemy will know our sources and methods." "Oh well, bomb away then."

I wonder how long it'll take before people start questioning the neverending bullshit they're being fed. Probably not soon enough.
Interesting that is coming from our resident GRU troll, since its a common tactic used by Putin. "Show us your intelligence so we can change our practices to make sure you are never allowed to collect intelligence on us again".

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
This settles it then, the entire thing is a false flag. Saudis are scum of the earth, even worse than that north korean dictator.
Usual suspects all in on it - Israel, US, Saudi.

You just know it isn't for the entirely the wrong reasons when those three get involved..

Did someone mention the axis of evil a while back?

2cents

Scout

Usual suspects all in on it - Israel, US, Saudi.

You just know it isn't for the entirely the wrong reasons when those three get involved..

Did someone mention the axis of evil a while back?
In what sense is Israel "in on it"?

antihenry

CAF GRU Rep
Interesting that is coming from our resident GRU troll, since its a common tactic used by Putin. "Show us your intelligence so we can change our practices to make sure you are never allowed to collect intelligence on us again".
Here's yet another tactic: call anyone who disagree with your version of reality a Kremlin stooge, Putin shill, GRU troll etc to dismiss anything they say without actually disproving their argument.

2cents

Scout
They were behind the strikes the other day?
Yes, but those don't seem to have had anything to do with the Chemical attack, beyond perhaps taking advantage of the situation to hit a pre-selected target. Israel has been striking targets in Syria at will throughout the course of the conflict, it has its own interests and red-lines that are completely independent of any other players in Syria.

SwansonsTache

Yes, but those don't seem to have had anything to do with the Chemical attack, beyond perhaps taking advantage of the situation to hit a pre-selected target. Israel has been striking targets in Syria at will throughout the course of the conflict.
Israel targets specific (Iran\Hezb related targets) in Syria out of their own interest
Saudi-Arabia will get involved because of their own interest (terrorist group previously holding Ghouta is Saudi backed, plus the anti Iran perspective)
USA will strike for their own interest (Russia's base there, anti Iran and want regime change)

As usual, it is a Middle-Eastern clusterfeck.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
I hope that Trump's tweet was posturing while actually carrying out a strike as limited as last time.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I hope that Trump's tweet was posturing while actually carrying out a strike as limited as last time.
One thing is for sure - the fact that he said its going to happen guarantees that something will happen. Otherwise he will look like a feckless loser, which of course he can't allow.

2cents

Scout
Israel targets specific (Iran\Hezb related targets) in Syria out of their own interest
Saudi-Arabia will get involved because of their own interest (terrorist group previously holding Ghouta is Saudi backed, plus the anti Iran perspective)
USA will strike for their own interest (Russia's base there, anti Iran and want regime change)

As usual, it is a Middle-Eastern clusterfeck.
Ok, but I'm not sure how this adds up to a US-Saudi-Israeli conspiracy?

I also find it extremely doubtful that the Saudis will do anything.

SwansonsTache

Ok, but I'm not sure how this adds up to a US-Saudi-Israeli conspiracy?

I also find it extremely doubtful that the Saudis will do anything.
Did I call it a conspiracy by those nations?

I stated what I believe are the true reasons for them attacking. Israel has already done it, the US probably will and Saudi-Arabia might as well if their puppet masters allow or ask them to.

2cents

Scout
Did I call it a conspiracy by those nations?
A misunderstanding on my part so, when you say they're "in on it" that makes it sound like the "it" you speak of is some kind of conspiracy.

Rajma

One thing is for sure - the fact that he said its going to happen guarantees that something will happen. Otherwise he will look like a feckless loser, which of course he can't allow.
Didn't he say that North Korea will be met with the fire and fury?

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Didn't he say that North Korea will be met with the fire and fury?
That was as a negotiation tactic to bring Kim to the table for denuclearization and also let him know his regime would end instantly if he tried anything against the South or attempted to lob rockets at the US. There's no negotiation tactic on this one as Trump already drew his line last year when Assad did the same thing.

Rajma

One of the Russian TV channels just issued casual advise on how to behave and be prepared for living in war conditions (bunkers, stocking up with cans etc.) in case things escalate, pretty surreal.

2cents

Scout
Trump: "WE ARE GOING TO ATTACK SYRIA!"

Syrians: "Thanks for the heads up Donny..."

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
Assad's bio makes for interesting reading. I don't see how you can dismiss him as a psychopath. But you do wonder how he goes from eye doctor to ruthless dictator in such a short time.

SwansonsTache

You can't think of one because you're not a psychopath. It's a simple and cold as that.
Are you fecking Clarice Sterling?

A psychopath is calculating and cold, he never does something "just because", he does something because he can gain an advantage from it.

What you are describiing is irrational behaviour, not a big trait of the psycho.