US/UK/France launch airstrikes in Syria

Irish Jet

Supports
Anyone but Rashford
Inmates. Asylums. Etc.

This is so totally fecked. We're gonna end up going to war without any sort of cause worth fighting for, without any sort of plan in place. The narrative around the SCW whether from the Assad/Russian side or the mainstream western POV is so poisoned it's insane. There's so many competing interests involving about 15 different nations, there's so many reasons the revolution started, so many reasons why different factions emerged among the populace and yet it all boils down to the simplistic narrative of finding who's good vs bad, or bad vs worse.

The reality is there's no happy ending for Syria. The country is utterly devastated and I imagine the best case scenario is just a swift end to the fighting and bombing. You have what was an already poorly educated populace and poor country now on it's knees. The focus should already be on rebuilding, not prolonging and escalating. We should be working with Russia to control Assad as best as possible rather than isolating them into a corner.

That Trump is genuinely terrifying. This is reaching Cuba levels of crazy with Trump/Bolton in place of the Kennedy's. A man with incentive to prove he isn't a Russian puppet may do whatever it takes to prove as much - Think about that.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Anyone on the Cafe in favour of the forthcoming strikes?

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Doesn't make sense to me, what will it achieve ?

Poor Syrians stuck in the middle of all these sociopaths on all sides.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Doesn't make sense to me, what will it achieve ?
Yup, that's the question I'd like to hear answered. Last thing Syria needs is a show of force just for the sake of it.

Smores

Bloody Assad apologist stooge. That's how it works, right?
Ridiculous, she should be united in response such a weak leader. She's just giving Putin what he wants by questioning it that's how he operates.

I think THATS how it works.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
What a fecking lunatic Trump is! Taunting countries on Twitter.

He really is mentally ill.

Simbo

It makes zero sense, then, for the US to be bombing Russia's only genuine ME ally, potentially bombing Russian troops and equipment. This doesn't strengthen Putin in any way unless he feels like the most grandiose murder+suicide by nuclear winter, or is himself a CIA plant.
Makes perfect sense to me, how much does he really give a feck about his Syrian 'allies'? He needs Assad to stay in power, that's it. Short of of that I'm not sure he cares too much about the state of the country.

Dead Russian soldiers? 'Not my fault, blame the US' - Suits his agenda.
Destroyed equipment? I doubt he sends it all for free, there will be invoices going along with any aid sent to Syria.

Ultimately he is weighing up the cost of his actions in Syria against his overriding goals of controlling the US and screwing with Europe... Small prices to pay.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
This is absolutely terrifying to be honest.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
No, the way they talk about it makes me think that they intend to send Syria's back to the paleolithic. It's a bit sickening.

antihenry

CAF GRU Rep
You know, the same things could be said and asked of Putin if you just switch out the appropriate proper nouns.
It would be true if it wasn't for a very little, but important detail. It's NATO that threatens to attack Assad/Russia, not the other way around.

The whole thing is a farce. Assad should be the one demanding US coalition to feck off back to wherever they came from since they have neither official permission from the country's government nor UN mandate to conduct military operations in Syria. That's what international law says, no? Instead, the aggressor threatens the country's president and its ally with the use of force.

Irish Jet

Supports
Anyone but Rashford
Makes perfect sense to me, how much does he really give a feck about his Syrian 'allies'? He needs Assad to stay in power, that's it. Short of of that I'm not sure he cares too much about the state of the country.

Dead Russian soldiers? 'Not my fault, blame the US' - Suits his agenda.
Destroyed equipment? I doubt he sends it all for free, there will be invoices going along with any aid sent to Syria.

Ultimately he is weighing up the cost of his actions in Syria against his overriding goals of controlling the US and screwing with Europe... Small prices to pay.
Putin's popularity is hugely (albeit not solely) based on his ability to make Russia look strong. Their international resurgence with the Crimean annexation and Syrion intervention seen his approval soar despite worsening economic conditions. He has a lot invested in Syria personally and can't be seen to tamely back down.

Basically the world's fate may come down to a dick swinging contest of two egomaniacs.

Simbo

Seems ridiculous to me, the speed of it especially (if something happens next few days), before any investigation can be done. Unsurprising for Trump but if May and other Euro leaders go along with it I really would be worried.

I appreciate chemical weapons is on another level of seriousness, but Assad has done much worse hasn't he with no doubt as to his responsibility? How many thousands have been killed with all the indiscriminate bombings of civilian areas when this thing kicked off? Its a while ago now but I remember watching the aftermath videos on liveleak or wherever, literally the most horrific things I've ever seen.

Simbo

Putin's popularity is hugely (albeit not solely) based on his ability to make Russia look strong. Their international resurgence with the Crimean annexation and Syrion intervention seen his approval soar despite worsening economic conditions. He has a lot invested in Syria personally and can't be seen to tamely back down.

Basically the world's fate may come down to a dick swinging contest of two egomaniacs.
So he is in the perfect position to make Russia look strong by getting the US to back down after all Trumps bluster and threats. The only feck up would be if he kills any Americans, shootings down some missles and defending Assad effectively however works massively in his favour.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
It would actually be cool if they shoot rockets and Russia fails to stop them.
well what they actually said is they would also target the launch sites...

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...ch-sites-lebanon-zasypkin-putin-a8298941.html

The Russian military said on 13 March it would respond to any US strike on Syria, targeting any missiles and launchers involved in such an attack.
I'm not sure if they can be taken seriously when they says tha (hopefully?) ... but presuming the USA sends cruise missiles I guess they would be launched from ships (or subs) or potentially a local millitary base (Iraq, Israel, Saidi?) - and I don't really see much cool in Russia targeting any of those

Javi

I appreciate chemical weapons is on another level of seriousness, but Assad has done much worse hasn't he with no doubt as to his responsibility? How many thousands have been killed with all the indiscriminate bombings of civilian areas when this thing kicked off? Its a while ago now but I remember watching the aftermath videos on liveleak or wherever, literally the most horrific things I've ever seen.
Don't think that's a legitimate line of reasoning. What is wrong imo is a.) to evaluate this event isolated from the big picture the series of events before created (there is no reason to do this) and b.) to trivialise a horrific event just because the context of it is about equally horrific.

Dumbat12

It's an obvious false flag, guys. America were removing their forces from Syria and Assad had basically wrapped this in the bag, it was only a matter of weeks, month at most before the end of the war. And now you're telling me that Assad did the SAME stupid shit "he" did last time, gassing children that serve no purpose to his goals?

Yeah... right.

Fearless

Mighty Mouse
It's an obvious false flag, guys. America were removing their forces from Syria and Assad had basically wrapped this in the bag, it was only a matter of weeks, month at most before the end of the war. And now you're telling me that Assad did the SAME stupid shit "he" did last time, gassing children that serve no purpose to his goals?

Yeah... right.
You don't want to accept you're dealing with a psychopath.

Revan

Assumptionman
well what they actually said is they would also target the launch sites...

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...ch-sites-lebanon-zasypkin-putin-a8298941.html

I'm not sure if they can be taken seriously when they says tha (hopefully?) ... but presuming the USA sends cruise missiles I guess they would be launched from ships (or subs) or potentially a local millitary base (Iraq, Israel, Saidi?) - and I don't really see much cool in Russia targeting any of those
Yeah, but our launch sites are BIGGER and SMARTER, and Russia won't see it COMING. It is just FAILING New York Times who are saying fake news that Russia will target our LAUNCH sites.

Revan

Assumptionman
On a side note, "GAS KILLING ANIMAL" should be interpreted as an animal who kills gas, right?

Revan

Assumptionman
It doesn't matter that he is a psycho, he surely must be more intelligent than this. By doing this move, he is essentially risking the entire war which was almost won.

Which makes me think that there might be a high chance that there is someone else who did this.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
On a side note, "GAS KILLING ANIMAL" should be interpreted as an animal who kills gas, right?
I think that it can mean both, gas killer animal would be an animal who kills gas. I think.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Thoughts are with Jill Stein at this difficult time.

Dumbat12

So you think psychopaths are 60 IQ morons? Even if he is a psychopath as you say, he'll surely be intelligent enough that the only thing gassing children brings him is unwanted international attention. Psychopaths lack emotions and don't care for other people, but they are neither needlessly cruel nor usually stupid, and definitely not as stupid as this.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
So you think psychopaths are 60 IQ morons? Even if he is a psychopath as you say, he'll surely be intelligent enough that the only thing gassing children brings him is unwanted international attention. Psychopaths lack emotions and don't care for other people, but they are neither needlessly cruel nor usually stupid, and definitely not as stupid as this.
Whatever word we want to use, he obviously believed he can do it over and over again, then deny it and hide behind Putin.

Dumbat12

Whatever word we want to use, he obviously believed he can do it over and over again, then deny it and hide behind Putin.
Ok, let's assume you're right and he believed he can do it again... With what reason? What does he gain from this?

Dumbat12

Its been talked about earlier in the thread.
And the reason is? Give me one, because I can't think of anything. And please no "hurr durr he's so evil he wants to sadistically murder children for his own pleasure".

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
And the reason is? Give me one, because I can't think of anything. And please no "hurr durr he's so evil he wants to sadistically murder children for his own pleasure".
Did the group that had been holding out and refusing to leave not give themselves up a day later?

Dumbat12

Did the group that had been holding out and refusing to leave not give themselves up a day later?
Correct me if I'm wrong but the rebels in eastern Ghouta were already doomed. Whethey they surrender right now or a week or two weeks later wouldn't have changed a goddamn thing.

shabadu84

Mint? Berry?
Am I wrong in thinking that this is just most bluster from Trump and that at most we'll see something like last time? A precision strike on a non-critical target to "send a message" that ultimately doesn't change anything? Maybe with Bolton involved the attitude will be more aggressive but I'm skeptical.

Also, this happened just days after the US imposed significant sanctions on Russian oligarchs and government officials. Seems to me that an attack like this at a time like this, to protect Russian interests in a highly sensitive area of the world, makes sense.