g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Van De Beek | Everton Loan Watch

Abraxas

He doesn't need a hug, he needs a kick in the arse and to be told to stop feeling sorry for himself and show he has a spine.
Absolutely. This is a problem with some fans and their take on players.

If only he had a good manager. If only he had the perfect midfield partner. If only we played the perfect style of football for him to shine. If only he had the right position. Completely pandering to this sense of being a victim some of our weak players have.

A lot of the time it's rubbish, where is the personal responsibility, the character in the player, the ability to think on their feet and be a proper Man Utd footballer? We all realise the importance of the manager, having a structure, giving players the best opportunity etc - but it's also about performing or at least showing some desire to really try and bust a gut.

Van de Beek's negative, boring and passive style is terrible. His attitude is nowhere near it. He's not a bad person, that is obvious, but he's limp and has showed zero character in the PL. It's probably part of the reason he never got a kick, added to whatever dubious ability he has.

Yakuza_devils

Many players can't cope coming from Bundesliga to PL, let alone Dutch League to PL. It's a massive step up. It's another 40mil down the drain from our so called scouting department. The same scouting department that bought Maguire and AWB for 130mil.

For 170mil we could have signed 2 world class players. Instead we end up with Maguire, AwB and VDB.

Bobski

Absolutely. This is a problem with some fans and their take on players.

If only he had a good manager. If only he had the perfect midfield partner. If only we played the perfect style of football for him to shine. If only he had the right position. Completely pandering to this sense of being a victim some of our weak players have.

A lot of the time it's rubbish, where is the personal responsibility, the character in the player, the ability to think on their feet and be a proper Man Utd footballer? We all realise the importance of the manager, having a structure, giving players the best opportunity etc - but it's also about performing or at least showing some desire to really try and bust a gut.

Van de Beek's negative, boring and passive style is terrible. His attitude is nowhere near it. He's not a bad person, that is obvious, but he's limp and has showed zero character in the PL. It's probably part of the reason he never got a kick, added to whatever dubious ability he has.
Absolutely. My sympathy is not there, maybe because we have already gone through this with Pogba, who is massively more talented than Donny. £ 40 million quid transfer, £6 million a year on wages, I expect more.

Gator Nate

It’s easy to slag him down when Everton are getting beat week in, week out. If he plays well in their next 2 games everyone will be saying how good he is
If you have seen him regularly at Ajax, that's how his form has been. Some matches, very good, other matches, not so good.
I always found him frustrating.he is okay as backup but not a starter, imho.
To be fair, he was supposed to be a replacement for Pogba. So there's that.

Gazautd18

Not in the squad tonight.
Frank said he wasn't happy with attitude of some of the players from last game.
Needs a hell of a rebirth to even get into the Everton squad?

edcunited1878

Not a good look for him. As previously mentioned, he was going to have an interesting time even at Everton because he's not an orthodox central midfielder when you compare him to Allan or Doucoure. Those two are arguably better than McFred, with McTominay the worst of the 4.

In a scrappy game that has more relegation meaning for Everton than it does Newcastle because they are seemingly safe now, for VDB not to be even in the squad is telling.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
Do you have an analysis today?
Yes, it took me a while to get a chance to watch.

DVB for Everton vs Wolves

- I think he only lost the ball once with a bad pass
- Didn't have many touches which was weird in the first half because Everton had a lot of possession
- A few times he was very timid and played back when he could have looked forward and caused some groans from the fans
- Not a good game for him and not a bad game
- It almost seemed to me that Wolves wanted Dacouri to touch the ball instead of DVB because they were marking him tighter. Is this a sign of respect?

Neves, though, was fabulous. If we had a player of his caliber dictating play we would probably be a 40% better team and comfortably in 3rd or 4th. It's just puzzling we didn't get a DM in the summer or January.

0le

Starts for Everton in their away game against West Ham. KO 2pm BST.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
A midfield pair of Beek and Doucoure, West Ham should be licking their lips.

BurgerVan

Supports
Arsenal
He will be as effective on the treatment table as he would have been on the pitch today anyway. He is a footballing hologram.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
He will be as effective on the treatment table as he would have been on the pitch today anyway. He is a footballing hologram.
People think if we get Ten Hag he should br given a second chance! I hope Ten Hag has the sense and ruthlessness to get rid.

captaincantona

People think if we get Ten Hag he should br given a second chance! I hope Ten Hag has the sense and ruthlessness to get rid.
By all accounts, he has a better attitude and application then a lot of our current crop- how he handled his time at Utd is testament to that. Isn’t our issue freeloaders who are not hungry? VDB fits the profile of someone looking to make that next step and while he is not a starter for us ever - a good coach could make him a very willing squad player. Why you think he would not be more useful then either a disinterested Pogba/Jesse or a 55 year old Matic when we need a goal I have no idea.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
By all accounts, he has a better attitude and application then a lot of our current crop- how he handled his time at Utd is testament to that. Isn’t our issue freeloaders who are not hungry? VDB fits the profile of someone looking to make that next step and while he is not a starter for us ever - a good coach could make him a very willing squad player. Why you think he would not be more useful then either a disinterested Pogba/Jesse or a 55 year old Matic when we need a goal I have no idea.
His attitude in matches suggest otherwise. He's cowardly, mever tries anything, and is invisible in every match. You complain about freeloaders, but you can't get more of a passenger than DVB. He plays like this, then expects game time? And then his fans also expect himto be given game time over other players when he's having a worse season? Delusion.

hobbers

If Ten Hag is our next manager, there is no chance he won't give VDB another chance, not with all the other players leaving.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
If he showed the right attitude surely he'd be playing for us currently ?

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
If he showed the right attitude surely he'd be playing for us currently ?
Why do you think it's an "attitude" thing with him?
As opposed to not being good enough, not quite suiting the league, or not fitting our choice of tactics?

Trequarista10

I really don't get the Donny love or why some people hold hope for him. He's clearly just not very good. Sure, he was underplayed here and it's hard to demonstrate influence playing 10 minutes a month. But, you can still show your technical qualities even in a short time. He simply doesn't have them. He's not got great control, short passing, long passing, touch, dribbling, agility, shooting, tackling or balance that a quality midfielder has. There's nothing he's good at except safe and simple possession play and drifting into space.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Why are people writing posts here again on a day he hasn't played because he's injured. Some of you are obsessed.

captaincantona

His attitude in matches suggest otherwise. He's cowardly, mever tries anything, and is invisible in every match. You complain about freeloaders, but you can't get more of a passenger than DVB. He plays like this, then expects game time? And then his fans also expect himto be given game time over other players when he's having a worse season? Delusion.
I’m no Donny fan but to say he has been cowardly, never tries anything and hides is complete fiction. On the limited occasions he played he showed he was no better or worse then what we have had. But he had a reason- that being- he was short or match rhythm and usually playing in an under strength side.

please get what I’m actually saying. I do not think he is the/an answer for us in any way. However, in a summer where we potentially lose 2 midfielders(Pogba and Matic andwe already needed a CDM) we are 3 players down in his position. We have also lost 5 attackers (Cavani, Martial, Jesse, Mata and Rashford is having an identity crisis.) not to mention Ronny on the wane makes 5 and a half! We then need a new centre back and a full back.

What a mess! So considering the actual essential maintenance we need to do (top class striker, CDM, CB at a minimum) and what that will cost, if we can bring back a hard working a hungry to prove himself midfielder to take Matic/Jesse/Mata etc s minutes for free then where is the downside? Rome wasn’t built in a day and if anyone can get a tune out of him ETH can. Donny would be one of the last out the door in the clear out. It’s a no brainier.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
On the contrary he was highly thought off by ETH and across Europe. He’s the definition of a flexible system player. I fully expect to see him back if ETH takes over

Abraxas

Just because ETH rated him in Holland and in his Ajax system doesn't automatically mean he thinks he's going to be a good player for United in the PL. I think a manager at that level has a bit more flexibility within his thinking.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Just because ETH rated him in Holland and in his Ajax system doesn't automatically mean he thinks he's going to be a good player for United in the PL. I think a manager at that level has a bit more flexibility within his thinking.
To be fair, in the interview, he mentioned that he was shocked about VDB couldn't start here. I would expect that ETH would give him chances in XI at the early season before decide to bench him if he's not good enough.

golden_blunder

Staff
To be fair, in the interview, he mentioned that he was shocked about VDB couldn't start here. I would expect that ETH would give him chances in XI at the early season before decide to bench him if he's not good enough.
Fully expect to see him given a chance. And why not, he was brilliant in that Ajax system.

ten Hag said it was a mortal sin how United mishandled him

Mick1

He had a bad bad game, everton had an awful game. Lampard has been trash since he joined. We decided to loan a player who had not played in 2 years, has no confidence, barely any match fitness, to a team that has similar traits. I had hoped for the best but in reality his stock has started to fall. I may be in my own park, i watched the guy from youth, but i believe there is a player there still. He is a player that needs a hug or two. Looking back RR has no time to hug him, lampard has no time to hug him. For his sake, he needs to get out of England and reignite himself. I do believe Ole ruined him.

Edit: saying that, donny is a victim of his own decision making. He should have chosen Newcastle or Palace.
Think he misses all them Amsterdam district hugs?
Anyway, he's playing like he's been "hugging himself" too much

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Even if he ultimately isn't good enough, there's no manager we could appoint who he'd have a better chance under than ETH.

And from ETH's POV there's obvious benefit in keeping a player we know he rates, who has already had years learning his system/approach and who he has previously used in multiple different midfield roles.

For that reason I'd be very surprised if he doesn't stay if ETH is appointed.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I really don't get the Donny love or why some people hold hope for him. He's clearly just not very good. Sure, he was underplayed here and it's hard to demonstrate influence playing 10 minutes a month. But, you can still show your technical qualities even in a short time. He simply doesn't have them. He's not got great control, short passing, long passing, touch, dribbling, agility, shooting, tackling or balance that a quality midfielder has. There's nothing he's good at except safe and simple possession play and drifting into space.
:lol: of all the things you can pick out you start with this? they are 2 things that he is excellent with.

You don't like him which is your choice, but you dont need to over exaggerate.

He will get a chance under ETH at the very least. I don't think he can play at the pace of the PL but he's not a bad footballer and if anybody can get him playing well its his former manager.

Everton was a bad move for him in hindsight. They're a team with expectations of top 6 but they face the reality of a relegation fight. Nobody can look good in that environment.

Abraxas

He would say that really, wouldn't he. He had loyalty to the player. If he's asked about it there is only one party who's case he is likely to advance.

The interesting thing is that when/if he becomes manager his loyalty will be to himself and his own backside. He won't be dying on the Donny van de Beek hill.

People are probably not wrong in that he's more likely to be given a shot, but I don't think we're going to see a large degree of patience shown just because he's van de Beek, Dutch and played at Ajax. If he had such faith in Ajax he'd buy most of their first team, but logic suggests he won't do that.

Donny has to cut it in the PL first and foremost, can't expect the manager to line it all up perfectly for him. He needs to massively step it up and take more responsibility, this perfect system for him might not be arriving at Man Utd in the next few years.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
ETH would love Donny. A player perfect for his type of play, who knows him from Ajax days will definitely get his chance under him. Whether he is good enough is only secondary because ETH needs a core team to start.

Matic,Fred and Donny will get their chances.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Fully expect to see him given a chance. And why not, he was brilliant in that Ajax system.

ten Hag said it was a mortal sin how United mishandled him
Just to be picky, that's not what he actually said. He said that it's 'doodzonde' what happened, which means 'dead sin' if you translate it literally, but actually means 'enormous pity'. So the point he was making is just that it's a great pity how things went with Van de Beek; he wasn't laying blame I don't think.

Last edited:

golden_blunder

Staff
Just to be picky, that's now that he actually said. He said that it's 'doodzonde' what happened, which means 'dead sin' if you translate it literally, but actually means 'enormous pity'. So the point he was making is just that it's a great pity how things went with Van de Beek; he wasn't laying blame I don't think.
Thanks for the clarification. It still underlines my point that he was highly rated by ETH