Van Gaal slams United for sacking him, AGAIN!

alanjohnson

How this is lost on so many is beyond me. I do not think it was wrong to sack him but I remember very well how he was basically fired during our FA Cup celebrations through leaks. Regardless of what you think of him, it simply was not a decent way to treat a professional in any walk of life. Whether he should have expected it or not is again beyond the point. However, I do think it was more to do with clumsiness and lack of experience from our board than any malicious intent.
If the board had faffed around with signing Jose Mourinho, no one here would forgive it and would talk about how they lacked experience, balls etc.
Obviously Jose was a done deal, but they couldn't disrupt the team and Van Gaal as long as they were in the FA Cup. Once that was won, why would anyone give a **** about Van Gaal's feelings? Did Van Gaal treat players any better as a manager?

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
He was one of the best ever before he took the United job.
Let's not forget the spell at Bayern Munich and how that ended.

"To say that he had the players behind him was a myth. Problems were created which were totally unnecessary and which have ripped the club to pieces. Louis van Gaal should consider what he has done."
He added one comment that is hauntingly pertinent to the position Van Gaal finds himself in at Old Trafford:
"Football should be enjoyable, but there has been nothing enjoyable about football at FC Bayern for a while now."

moodyred

Used to make my coffee during the half time break. During LVG rein, I make coffee during the match and watch commercials at half time.

Give me back those 2 years LVG

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Used to make my coffee during the half time break. During LVG rein, I make coffee during the match and watch commercials at half time.

Give me back those 2 years LVG
I lost count of how many times I've actually slept during our games and I grew up watching the Serie A catenaccio style. LVG was the anti United manager.

Alvaro Maestre

Last Man Standing 2 finalist 2023/24
I lost count of how many times I've actually slept during our games and I grew up watching the Serie A catenaccio style. LVG was the anti United manager.
I used to see the games with the volume sufficiently high to hear the goals if I fell asleep so I could wake up. Sadly , I didnt wake up that much those days...

devilish

I used to see the games with the volume sufficiently high to hear the goals if I fell asleep so I could wake up. Sadly , I didnt wake up that much those days...
Moyes was just one of an endless list of inept managers who lead this club. We've had quite a long list of those (ie during the dark ages ie between Busby's era and SAF's era)

What I find tragic in LVG is how he wasn't able to come out with a Plan B despite in football for so many years. The man who lead Bayern, Barcelona, Ajax and Holland was being outsmarted on a weekly basis by the likes of Big Sam and he had no clue on how to prevent it

Alvaro Maestre

Last Man Standing 2 finalist 2023/24
What I find tragic in LVG is how he wasn't able to come out with a Plan B despite in football for so many years. The man who lead Bayern, Barcelona, Ajax and Holland was being outsmarted on a weekly basis by the likes of Big Sam and he had no clue on how to prevent it

Moyes was just one of an endless list of inept managers who lead this club. However LVG should have done better than that.
Totally spot on. I remember I already knew the type on changes that were coming and inside me I knew they wouldn't work. Nowadays its exciting to know the changes Mou do , are actually going to have some impact.

Home&Away

Let's not forget the spell at Bayern Munich and how that ended.

"To say that he had the players behind him was a myth. Problems were created which were totally unnecessary and which have ripped the club to pieces. Louis van Gaal should consider what he has done."
He added one comment that is hauntingly pertinent to the position Van Gaal finds himself in at Old Trafford:
"Football should be enjoyable, but there has been nothing enjoyable about football at FC Bayern for a while now."
Also from bayern:
https://www.fourfourtwo.com/news/robben-van-gaal-heart-bayern-success

Not from me but from robben.

devilish

Totally spot on. I remember I already knew the type on changes that were coming and inside me I knew they wouldn't work. Nowadays its exciting to know the changes Mou do , are actually going to have some impact.
Honestly if I was him I wouldn't even speak about my time at United. Its a terrible and humiliating end to one's career. Moyes can justify his nasty experience by saying that he had zero experience at top level. What can LVG say?

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
The leaks during the FA Cup Final were poor but the sacking was 100% correct. Mourinho was a better option for us whichever way you slice it and if Van Gaal genuinely thinks United were satisfied with the level of results and performance he delivered then there is nothing more to discuss.

Home&Away

Ah, I knew you'd pop up! Jose really benefitting from those foundations this season isn't he?! ;-)
Haha glad you missed me buddy =)

Yeh tbh I have never seen José's teams maintaining possession so well, it's almost become a habit of United to maintain possession hasn't it; most clubs tend to sit back & let us dictate the game (unless of course we lose the ball & José has the abilities to teach us how to counter attack in a deadly manner).

Let's not forget the whole forum wondering if the 352 is worth changing in to. If José does change to that then surely the fact that United as a club (not all the players admittedly) have played it before will benefit us even by the most miniscule percentage?

It doesn't really matter does it? When I back LVG; so many fans assume that any cups won & any success is down to him. That is simply not true; he just left the club in a better place more than alot of managers do. Young players, players may be good and alot may be rubbish but they tend to hold possession and positions very well.

I guarantee you one thing as someone who has studied LVG's work; the best thing he does is his analysis (the things he wrote consistently in his notebook & the time he spent analysing players in the youth systems etc). The moment we switch back to 352; that's when United as a club will be more deadly than they are now. It helps us retain possession due to extra players in the middle & yet it helps us counterattack due to the wing backs and the 3rd normally ball playing defender. Not a single player in the first team would need to adjust to a different position like what is happening now with forwards playing left midfield etc. iv even looked at the younger players, gomes, TFM, pereira, chpng, CBJ, Wilson, gribbin all have a much more likely hood of breaking through in a 352 compared to what is played now.

Anyway lad - sorry I get a bit defensive over LVG; I don't pretend he is perfect - but neither do I pretend like he did eff all for the club. Barcelona & Bayern have always kept the same formation ever since LVG came to their clubs & I reckon we will one day do it too.

SirAF

Ageist
He was one of the best ever before he took the United job. I don't really support that kind of revision, simple enough. People even started revising the stance that he brought through young talent in his career - makes you wonder about the mental capacity of the avg football fan
Of course he was a top class manager when he was younger - but his stint at United showed that he was obviously out of touch with being a club manager.
To defend his United career you'd have to be a huge LvG fan. Or just dutch and weirdly patriotic.

RedDevil@84

Just read the article. How did his wife know. Was she in his meetings with the board?

el3mel

Of course he was a top class manager when he was younger - but his stint at United showed that he was obviously out of touch with being a club manager.
To defend his United career you'd have to be a huge LvG fan. Or just dutch and weirdly patriotic.
Exactly. LVG was considered one of the best managers in the world till his miserable failure with Netherlands to qualify to WC. After that his career took a massive hit that led him to return to Holland again to find some success. He restored some of his legacy in his first year with Bayern before the ultimate collapse next season and in 2014 WC. In United it was clear that he's just another Wenger, a manager who doesn't belong to this era anymore. He stopped evolving at some point of his career, probably after his failure with Netherlands to qualify to WC, he succeeded in only 2 seasons overall in his remaining career after this.

Looking to his career you may think it's really great but if you revise it carefully, it's really full of problems and he never found the same success he did under Ajax in the 90s or to some extend his first spell under Barca ( which was also full of problems with the known Rivaldo story ).

Roboc7

Sadly by the time he arrived at Utd he was a has been, his best days were long gone and he was very fortunate to get the job. I don't think the club could have told him he was going six months in advance, that rarely works and sacking him was the only option. It was harsh it happened so soon after the FA Cup final but it was important to get on with it as soon as possible.

His philosophy was out dated and eradicating it was essential, and it shows how poor he was in the transfer market that at best only two of his signings are likely to be regular starters. I feel international football was where he should have stayed, the tactic of being rigid, well organised and relying on one or two good players to win the games for you works well for a lot of teams. He was completely out of his depth as a manager at a top club though and he was taking us on a downward spiral.

Sylar

I still find it funny how he stumbled across the 433 (which many believed he would implement at United when he first joined), it gotus good results against good teams and playing some good football.
It pretty much guaranteed top 4 (and could have been top2 had carrick not been injured, who knows) and ended the first season on a little bit of a high following the tragic season before.

And then he changes it again away from that for the next season. Was some odd stuff.

RedDevil@84

I often wonder what was going through Giggs mind when he was with LVG

I personally think Giggs was also lost and confused as to what he wanted to be and what he had to learn. More like a guy who was not even sure if this was what he wanted to do.
At least to me, he doesn't come across as a guy who would be decisive about things as a manager.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
Didn't even care if people called me a fake fan or plastic fan of our team during LVG's reign because I would multi task during our games. It was a proper disaster. With Moyes it was us being crap and losing. Straightforward stuff and he got sacked fast enough. LVG had this whole "philosophy" and "we are defensively sound now" when teams didn't feel threatened so gave us possession crap that was just way more damaging. Those 2 years really set us back. LVG despite being a better manager than Moyes damaged us way more.

el3mel

I personally think Giggs was also lost and confused as to what he wanted to be and what he had to learn. More like a guy who was not even sure if this was what he wanted to do.
At least to me, he doesn't come across as a guy who would be decisive about things as a manager.
I think it was worse. That Dutch assistant with LVG said later he was doing everything that I wondered what Giggs role was, or even LVG in this team.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...ly-in-charge-albert-stuivenberg-a7618126.html

Kapardin

Didn't even care if people called me a fake fan or plastic fan of our team during LVG's reign because I would multi task during our games. It was a proper disaster. With Moyes it was us being crap and losing. Straightforward stuff and he got sacked fast enough. LVG had this whole "philosophy" and "we are defensively sound now" when teams didn't feel threatened so gave us possession crap that was just way more damaging. Those 2 years really set us back. LVG despite being a better manager than Moyes damaged us way more.
I used to just browse twitter looking at all the jokes made at our expense while the game was going on. LvG truly sapped the joy out of anticipating weekends and midweek games with his mind-numbing football, it was a cruel and unusual fate that even smaller clubs aren't likely to suffer...

Nikelesh Reddy

Well,I"ve got absolutely nothing against LVG to be fair.Even though the quality of football was very poor and even though he was a bit hit and miss in the transfer window,I still think that he moved us forward,especially in his 1st season.Its a pity that things didn't work out for him in the end,but at least he left with a trophy....

Reactions: SteveJ

RedPed

Whatabouter.

The body language was all too apparent. LvG never really used to consult with him during a game anyway. He'd speak more to his own guys. Towards the end of his rein, it was quite telling that Giggs started standing in the technical area, when our performances were really bad. When LvG took that tumble in the Arsenal game, usually you would have smiled or smirked or something but Giggsy just quickly did an about face and left him to it. There was zero chemistry between them. I did feel bad for van Gaal at the end but he brought it on himself. Will never forgive him for ruining the team we had.

SirAF

Ageist
The body language was all too apparent. LvG never really used to consult with him during a game anyway. He'd speak more to his own guys. Towards the end of his rein, it was quite telling that Giggs started standing in the technical area, when our performances were really bad. When LvG took that tumble in the Arsenal game, usually you would have smiled or smirked or something but Giggsy just quickly did an about face and left him to it. There was zero chemistry between them. I did feel bad for van Gaal at the end but he brought it on himself. Will never forgive him for ruining the team we had.
Remember that, Giggs didn't want to be associated with that and buggered off :lol:

sunama

Baghdad Bob

Giggs should've spoken up more and insisted that we play a more attacking style.
As his assistant, it is his job to point out the manager's errors, so the manager can make improvements, before those errors become costly. At the very least he could've said, "Louis if you continue playing this style of football, regardless of results, you'll be fired."
If LVG had changed our style and improved, even slightly, LVG would've seen out his final year and Giggs would've been odds on to take over.
My gut tells me that Giggs kept quiet, allowing LVG to head down the wrong path, in the belief that he would get the job, a year sooner. Just like us fans, Giggs knew very well that playing boring football, while getting average/poor results, was not going to be tolerated by the fans or the club.

moodyred

One wonders why Giggs has yet to become a manager. Maybe he just hasn't got what it takes to be one.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
One wonders why Giggs has yet to become a manager. Maybe he just hasn't got what it takes to be one.
I have my doubts on how genuine Giggs is about being a manager in general. He would surely have had a job by now if he was genuinely serious about being a manager.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I fell asleep at a home game. The place was so deadly silent as our players passed around the back that you could hear a pin drop.

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
All I can say is that I'm so glad and relieved that was have Jose in charge now.

Wants to "get one over on United"

Lord_Emz

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Van Gaal rapidly stooping to Moyes level. That was the only argument that his sympathisers would use against Moyes in saying that at least he kept his mouth shut and didn't harp on about his sacking.

Well I guess they can't say that anymore. Still, for me, was worse than Moyes in his time here. Don't care what anyone says!

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel