Van Gaal

USREDEVIL

Absence makes the heart go fonder for some Van Gaal sycophants.

Passing with no purpose. Goals win matches not possession statistics. Then when the other team got he ball we were totally flat-footed and watched them break on the counter to score or almost score. Happened all the time. Close this ridiculous thread.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
Absence makes the heart go fonder for some Van Gaal sycophants.

Passing with no purpose. Goals win matches not possession statistics. Then when the other team got he ball we were totally flat-footed and watched them break on the counter to score or almost score. Happened all the time. Close this ridiculous thread.
You could always take up the option not to come into this ridiculous thread instead, had you thunk about that?

Sylar

@Roboc7 it's even funnier than I imagined

So lvg being forced to play Rooney due to contractual obligation is not bs
Except for Jose 6 months later who dropped him,but that was ok cos even rooneys parents thought he was old

Also there's nothing lvg could do about the Shaw and Herrera signings
Even though he greenlit them
And vetoed Kroos

And lvg, the man who had a plan, was ok to play a lot of players out of position and trying to make it work - because these players either did one reserve game in that position or other clubs tried it occasionally and it was somewhat successful. Maybe.

And di Maria wasn't the type he wanted. Even though he wanted a di Maria. But it's not lvg fault as he thought he was getting robben type. So lvg wanted a winger and decided di Maria should play midfield and up top and not as a winger

So in conclusion lvg did no wrong
His bad signings were the players fault
His good signings showed he had a plan
United not getting top 4, the cl and Europa League exits were cos of bad players but lvg over performed by winning the fa cup
We didn't go to the next level as we didn't get him mane
He introduced youth and was greateven though there's only maybe 2 still playing for us
And he wasn't past it or a dinosaur when he joined us because of how great his Ajax team in the 90s played

Is that covering all?

Rafaeldagold

Too bad these are 2 games out of 103 for Mr. Van Gaal here.
Hmm that’s not quite true is it now. FA Cup & Top 4.

Some people go to great lengths to try & ridicule his time here when the truth is he had his own plan & when it worked- it worked really well, especially in big games. We actually dominated teams consistently- at times we weren’t clinical enough or were to slow in but I would have liked another season with more of his signings. Good manager & did well for us & deserves more respect from us really.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
@Roboc7 it's even funnier than I imagined

So lvg being forced to play Rooney due to contractual obligation is not bs
Except for Jose 6 months later who dropped him,but that was ok cos even rooneys parents thought he was old

Also there's nothing lvg could do about the Shaw and Herrera signings
Even though he greenlit them
And vetoed Kroos

And lvg, the man who had a plan, was ok to play a lot of players out of position and trying to make it work - because these players either did one reserve game in that position or other clubs tried it occasionally and it was somewhat successful. Maybe.

And di Maria wasn't the type he wanted. Even though he wanted a di Maria. But it's not lvg fault as he thought he was getting robben type. So lvg wanted a winger and decided di Maria should play midfield and up top and not as a winger

So in conclusion lvg did no wrong
United not getting top 4, the cl and Europa League exits were cos of bad players but lvg over performed by winning the fa cup
He introduced youth and was greateven though there's only maybe 2 still playing for us
And he wasn't past it or a dinosaur when he joined us because of how great his Ajax team in the 90s played

Is that covering all?
Yep, i'm sure that's how your average prepubescent would sum it up :lol:

el3mel

Hmm that’s not quite true is it now. FA Cup & Top 4.

Some people go to great lengths to try & ridicule his time here when the truth is he had his own plan & when it worked- it worked really well, especially in big games. We actually dominated teams consistently- at times we weren’t clinical enough or were to slow in but I would have liked another season with more of his signings. Good manager & did well for us & deserves more respect from us really.
Thought we're talking about his boring style not what he achieved (which is still underwhelming but that's not the point the poster you were replaying to was making). He played very boring style. Taking 2 games out of 103 to prove otherwise is a poor argument, sorry. We all watched his entire reign here.

Last edited:

Rafaeldagold

Thought we're talking about his boring style not what he achieved (which is still underwhelming but that's not the point the poster you were replaying too was making). He played very boring style. Taking 2 games out of 103 to prove otherwise is a poor argument, sorry. We all watched his entire reign here.
Well ‘boring’ is a very subjective thing to state. I enjoyed us dominating possession & looking to create chances that way.

Yes it could have been quicker at times but a lot of that was on players not good enough but I much preferred watching Van Gaal over Moyes of course who had no plan , a lot of Jose & to be honest currently Ole doesn’t seem to have a plan either & been painful watching last 10 games.

el3mel

Well ‘boring’ is a very subjective thing to state. I enjoyed us dominating possession & looking to create chances that way.

Yes it could have been quicker at times but a lot of that was on players not good enough but I much preferred watching Van Gaal over Moyes of course who had no plan , a lot of Jose & to be honest currently Ole doesn’t seem to have a plan either & been painful watching last 10 games.
It's your opinion and I have to respect it but I really think you're in the minority when it comes to this bold part.

Eddy_JukeZ

I enjoy dominating possession too, but Van Gaal's United was sterile possession.

I don't know why some are rewriting history.

We were terrible in that 2nd season. It was horrific football.

And Van Gaal's transfer business was horrific.

Moriarty

And Van Gaal's transfer business was horrific.
It was damaging but who knows how much Woodward pushed for galacticos. I still remember Van Gaal's face at Turf Moor when Di Maria decided he'd had enough and wanted to come off. Van Gaal's face was a picture of bewilderment and contempt.

Sylar

Players not good enough even though a majority were his players

Imagine another season with his signings .
Haha

Eddy_JukeZ

It was damaging but who knows how much Woodward pushed for galacticos. I still remember Van Gaal's face at Turf Moor when Di Maria decided he'd had enough and wanted to come off. Van Gaal's face was a picture of bewilderment and contempt.
He name dropped Di Maria as one of the players he would like to sign.

Now I'm not going to solely blame Van Gaal for that failure(both were at fault, but he was the one who wanted him).

Woodward probably pushed for Falcao the most.

KristianMackle

My attitude towards him has changed. I believe he could've turned us into what Ajax are now given the time. Just listen to what Rooney says about him. We just didnt have the players to implement his style successfully.

Sylar

That's fair
Then again I reckon Ole could turn this current United team into Ajax

But since the players aren't good enough probably need 6 windows and 900m to sign all of ajaxs players :)

Rista

Is that covering all?
Foundations, don't forget the foundations. Nothing he tried ever worked, but it was all part of a plan for the future. When we eventually start winning stuff again, it will be down to LVG who laid the foundations.

Aloysius's Back 3

My attitude towards him has changed. I believe he could've turned us into what Ajax are now given the time. Just listen to what Rooney says about him. We just didnt have the players to implement his style successfully.
Im a big LVG supporter but I think the reason people hated him is because they expected us to be this title competing team that would settle for a CL spot; something now since Jose has failed and Ole is in charge has changed.

People were happier seeing RVP, Falcao, Rooney, Carrick in that first season- but they didn't see the complete turn around LVG was trying to make in his second season & Injuries or not - we ended up that second season with Rashford, TFM, CBj, Varela, Rashford, Martial, Lingard sometimes quite comfortably beating beating teams that on paper were better than us. Even if we didn't we went with these youngsters who were helping us dominate possession. We were at that stage only going to be good as the players we used to create chances from the ball literally stuck to their feet.

I don't think Van Gaal was modern enough to suddenly turn us in to the way ajax was playing in 3 years - but his plan was always to let Giggs take over; having a well drilled bunch of youngsters playing football with the ball at their feet. Considering we are now with Ole and ex players like Butt, Carrick or Giggs could have taken over earlier - the whole Jose period seems just a waste of time with some good players mixed with players that play football in a different way.

I remember the end of that 2nd season - the damage was done to most supporters after watching boring football - but we ended it with these youngsters playing football in a way that impressed me. If LVG had another season we could have had players like Tuenzebe, Gomes, Garner just as ready for the first team as Rashford whilst we could have and most likely would have unearthed few gems as well.

BlueHaze

Im a big LVG supporter but I think the reason people hated him is because they expected us to be this title competing team that would settle for a CL spot; something now since Jose has failed and Ole is in charge has changed.

People were happier seeing RVP, Falcao, Rooney, Carrick in that first season- but they didn't see the complete turn around LVG was trying to make in his second season & Injuries or not - we ended up that second season with Rashford, TFM, CBj, Varela, Rashford, Martial, Lingard sometimes quite comfortably beating beating teams that on paper were better than us. Even if we didn't we went with these youngsters who were helping us dominate possession. We were at that stage only going to be good as the players we used to create chances from the ball literally stuck to their feet.

I don't think Van Gaal was modern enough to suddenly turn us in to the way ajax was playing in 3 years - but his plan was always to let Giggs take over; having a well drilled bunch of youngsters playing football with the ball at their feet. Considering we are now with Ole and ex players like Butt, Carrick or Giggs could have taken over earlier - the whole Jose period seems just a waste of time with some good players mixed with players that play football in a different way.

I remember the end of that 2nd season - the damage was done to most supporters after watching boring football - but we ended it with these youngsters playing football in a way that impressed me. If LVG had another season we could have had players like Tuenzebe, Gomes, Garner just as ready for the first team as Rashford whilst we could have and most likely would have unearthed few gems as well.
The reason people hated him was quite frankly because we played shambolic football and the incredible amounts of shit results that came with it. He simply put had to go and there was no other way around it. That second to last game of the season away at West Ham summed up his entire career here. One point needed to secure top 4 and we end up losing having had a 1-2 lead. As much as I criticize Ed he did the right thing by getting rid of him. Giving him another year would have been an atrocious decision.

freeurmind

weak willed
He probably deserved another year but the football was dire. He also started the nonsense of playing wingers at fullback but that may have been due to financial constraints and injuries.

el3mel

It's fair Rooney will praise him. After all "my captain shall always play" etc.

iKeano

More arrogant than Mourinho.
More destructive than Moyes.
The man was a wrecking ball, unwilling to admit any sort of defeat or wrongdoing, his football was putrid, his attitude stank.

Calling Curtis "fat man" and telling the press to enjoy the mince pies - possibly the one time he got off the bench in his entire time at Utd to mock Arsenal for diving... If these are the totals of your greatest moments as Utd manager, jog on.

Suedesi

The man was a wrecking ball, unwilling to admit any sort of defeat or wrongdoing, his football was putrid, his attitude stank.

Calling Curtis "fat man" and telling the press to enjoy the mince pies - possibly the one time he got off the bench in his entire time at Utd to mock Arsenal for diving... If these are the totals of your greatest moments as Utd manager, jog on.
Juanfield, outplaying City, Spurs, Chelsea, winning the FA cup, Martial, Rashford, I think he was ok for for a season.

Rafaeldagold

More destructive than Moyes is ridiculous thing to say. I mean why do people try to discredit Van Gaal? He got us actually dominating & beating the best teams in the league- home & away.

That hasn’t happened since & oh an FA Cup & top 4 but yeh sure he was worse than Moyes haha

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
At least I know the Moyes revisionism will never happen on this site. You guys at least will not take it there but, this polishing of Van Gaal's time here is ridiculous.

edbe

Supports
Ajax
Not just Rooney, Ryan Giggs as well.

edbe

Supports
Ajax

Oh please, go sit on Mourinho's boring bus if you like that so much.

And the only wrecking ball United has is Ed Woodward.

Bojan11

Great manager at his peak, but sadly we got him at the wrong time.

But his first season was a success considering we desperately needed to be in the champions league. His record against Liverpool in the league was great. He managed two wins, one draw and one loss when Smalling got sent off in the first half against City. His mentality in the big games was fine. He just didn’t come up with a good enough plan for the smaller teams. His tenure shouldn’t be compared to Moyes. Moyes was a clown who had no idea what he was doing.

POF

If ever a game demonstrated why United should have kept Van Gaal it was Barcelona destroying Liverpool. The foundations Louis laid at Barca will be the basis for Barca's success for decades (if not centuries) to come.

United must be kicking themselves.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
If ever a game demonstrated why United should have kept Van Gaal it was Barcelona destroying Liverpool. The foundations Louis laid at Barca will be the basis for Barca's success for decades (if not centuries) to come.

What the hell is this? If anyone set the foundations it is Cruyff and Pep brought it back. And the current Barca are so far away from that style of play anyway.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

This Barca or even the Barca from 2008 has nothing to do with Van Gaal, and also if we had spare Messi in our youth ranks then we will be alright.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
Sell DDG :lol:

Also LVG is a twat that never shuts up about us because he failed and can't accept it. We didn't dominate anything. Teams let us fanny about doing nothing then attacked us and looked immediately more threatening than we did for the previous hour. Better players would have made no difference in such a terrible system.
The whole philosophy thing was a product of his own ego and nothing more.
This. He was right about some things, hes not an idiot, but lets not pretend his time here was anything but a massive failure. Sure he has most of the shit players we struggle with today, but he himself got us many of those shit players and he had some even worse ones coming through that are gone now

Possession is fine and all, but having all of the ball and no bite is meaningless