Van Persie: I want to stay

RonaldoVII

Robin van Persie has spoken out to set the record straight, insisting he wants to remain at Manchester United beyond his current contract, which runs until summer 2016.

In a revealing interview with official matchday programme United Review, the Dutchman says he felt compelled to address current press speculation claiming he wants out of Old Trafford and doesn’t get on with key staff and team-mates.

“I don’t mind if my performances get dissected and people criticise what I’ve done on the pitch,” van Persie said. “They can talk about my game 24/7 for all I care… and a lot of those opinions and criticisms may actually be right. So I don’t mind that.

“What I need to address are the situations when people are taking it upon themselves to think for me, make assumptions, or interpret things as if they are me. Last time I checked my head was still attached to my body, so I’m the only one who knows exactly what I’m feeling and that is not what I or the fans have been reading.

“The truth is I’m very happy here at this club. I signed for four years and I’d be delighted to stay even longer, beyond the next two years I have left on my contract. This is how I feel, although it’s not what has been suggested in the media.”

Robin also underlined he has a good relationship with his team-mates and club coaching staff, including manager David Moyes.

“I’m very happy with my team-mates and I’m very happy with my manager and his staff. The sessions we have on the training ground are fantastic and I’m learning a lot from them every day. I’ve been a professional footballer for 12 years now and there’s no doubt I’m learning new things and progressing with David Moyes.

“Like I said, talk about my performances or talk about a tackle that was too late. I don’t mind. But it goes too far when people start suggesting, amongst other things, that I have a bad understanding with the manager. That’s not true at all.

“Over the last few years I’ve started to look more closely at the way coaches work to learn from them – not just here at the club but with the international team as well. I’ve worked with some brilliant coaches and I’ve taken a real interest in all the methods they use and the choices they make.

“I can tell you that Moyes’ sessions and the things he says in his team meetings are spot-on. I really enjoy working under him and I’m absolutely convinced things will pick up and we’ll turn it around.

“There is mutual respect between us and the work environment is actually good. He really wants things to work here at Manchester United and I want the same, just like the other players. We’re all working hard to make this work.”

http://www.manutd.com/en/News-And-F...e=twitter&utm_medium=post&utm_campaign=ManUtd

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Great to hear, I like when players makes things clear instead of keeping quiet before signing new contract and saying how happy they are at the club and that they never wanted to leave only after they have signed new contract.

Let's hope we will see him at his best on Sunday.

Kostur

海尔的老板
Wow that's disgusting, Moyes forced van Persie to say all those things because all of the caf-experts already judged his body language on the pitch and made it clear that he's off. Somebody needs to have a closer look at this case because it's modern slavery.

#freeRobin

:rolleyes:

Brophs

The One and Only
All we need now is for Buttner to commit himself to a new 5 year deal and we'll be on our way back to the top.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
Glad this has finally happened. Deep down I always had a feeling that he wasn't considering running away after a hurdle was finally placed in front of him here...but because of the way he left Arsenal the speculation was obvious.

Let's hope the positivity we've seen for the last week carries on to Sunday.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
Just seen this now. If he means it and is ready for the challenge next season it's fantastic news

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
That's a fan-fúcking-tastic interview right there.

I have a really good feeling about Sunday now. The players seem to be hell-bent on righting some wrongs.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Don't want to be a downer but he did a very similar interview before leaving us to join you lot.
Yeah, he's very media-friendly. Knows how to say all the right things. I don't think he wants to leave though, personally.

shaggy

Prefers blue over red, loathed by Spurs fans
It was in the Arsenal magazine and I don't think it's published online.
Ah fair enough.
Yeah, he's very media-friendly. Knows how to say all the right things. I don't think he wants to leave though, personally.
He is... just hope he does stay as I was sure he was going to leave this summer with his performances and attitude on the pitch and the media speculation.

Brophs

The One and Only
If he really wanted to show commitment he could have denied the story before it was even published, like Rooney did a few years back.

charleysurf

Obnoxious, abusive bellend who is best ignored
We should keep him if he's willing to be a backup striker. If he expects to start every game then he needs to be sold.

alastair

ignorant
I think RVP is very aware that there isn't exactly going to be a queue of clubs this summer after him with his wages and injury record.

With this in mind, he's not going to openly state his intention to leave, but if the opportunity comes along, I reckon he will as long as United can replace him.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
Ah fair enough.

He is... just hope he does stay as I was sure he was going to leave this summer with his performances and attitude on the pitch and the media speculation.
When we are watching a TV set, or standing at a distance in the crowd, or even if we were right next to him, it's impossible to tell what he is thinking. This is a player who, for the past 2 seasons before this one, has been in exceptional form and arguably one of the most lethal strikers in the world. This year, he's missing sitters in some instances. That can make it very stressful for a player. And what may seem like frustration and not being happy at United may just be his frustration that things aren't going as well as they have done in recent years for him.

Fact is, no one knows exactly what he is thinking. The only thing we can attempt to take on board is what he says. I like this interview.

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
I think RVP is very aware that there isn't exactly going to be a queue of clubs this summer after him with his wages and injury record.

With this in mind, he's not going to openly state his intention to leave, but if the opportunity comes along, I reckon he will as long as United can replace him.
Disagree mate. If he wanted to leave and we are willing to sell, then there would be plenty of takers. He's too good not to be.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
It was always the case. It's a non story to be honest.

Lesson: Most journalists are just creative liars.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything

There'd be a queue to sign him! He's one of the best players in his position in the world. Wenger will testify to this fact. Remember the parting quote from your manager to Sir Alex?

alastair

ignorant
There'd be a queue to sign him! He's one of the best players in his position in the world. Wenger will testify to this fact. Remember the parting quote from your manager to Sir Alex?
31 and £250k a week? There are better options. He's top class, of course, but unless the fee was around £10m, there won't be many takers.

dev1l

i would prefer seeing him do the talking on the pitch.