g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

VAR and Refs | General Discussion | May 15: Premier League clubs to vote on proposal to scrap VAR from next season

The Hilton

The goal standing was pretty dodgy, but at least debatable even if it looked a fairly clear foul on Gabriel, but what was awful was the deliberate forearm smash from a Newcastle player early in the match, how on earth was he able to stay on the pitch?

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
You want ETH to meltdown on top of this bad form? Because he's absolutely ripped the refs over the hysterically bad decisions United have had in this run, but in a controlled manner.

Arteta and Klopp have embarrassed themselves.
Completely disagree. Managers need to put pressure on refs. Guys like SAF, Jose did it for years and it paid dividends.

It doesn't matter if it looks embarrassing or not. It's about putting enough pressure on refs that it plays in the back of their mind when they are making a big call against you.

Not using this as a stick to beat ETH, but most of our managers post SAF ( except Jose) haven't done enough of this.

Anustart89

Post 10.075 of this thread. Overhead at no side angle and you can see grass between the ball and the line.

If the pic has been faked then obviously that's something else.
Are you trolling, mate? I'm genuinely asking because you don't usually do that but your post confuses me.

You can see grass underneath the ball but that doesn't say anything since it's spherical. If you're claiming you can see grass between the ball and the line, which is what would matter in that case, then surely you're not looking at the right pic.

What you can see in the Rashford pic is that the line doesn't seem to be straight exactly where the ball supposedly crosses it, indicating that the line is disturbed by something. Which would be enough to say that it can't be clear and obvious that the on-field call was wrong. The only "proper" angle is one from right above the ball. Any judgement of how much grass can be seen underneath the ball from the side is going to lead you to the wrong conclusion.

RedRocket9908

Maguire was offside when the ball was played, as it was a free kick he couldn't have been fouled before he was offside because the ball is not in play
It doesnt matter if he was in an offside position as it isnt an offence to be in an offside position so if you are in an offside position and get fouled before committing an offside offence the foul is still punishable.

Oranges038

Just watched the Arsenal highlights again.

Bruno should have walked for that elbow, second one in two weeks now that's gone unpunished.
Ball looks out before the cross, but there's no proper angle to prove it.
Joelinton clearly pushes Gabriel in the back as he jumps for the header.

Absolutely criminal that these refs get away with such shite decisions.

Anustart89

Maguire was offside when the ball was played, as it was a free kick he couldn't have been fouled before he was offside because the ball is not in play
No, offside doesn't become an offence when the ball is played. Offside happens when the player becomes active by attempting to play the ball or making an obvious movement that impacts the ability of the opponent to play the ball. If I'm standing in an offside position, the ball is played from the goalkeeper towards me and just as the ball leaves the goalkeeper's foot a player punches me in the face. That's a foul because I haven't become active yet.

Danger5

Duffer does realise that balls are spherical, right?

Overall another awful weekend for VAR. Actually feel a bit bad for Wolves now... they've been fecked over so many times this season through terrible decisions at crucial moments of the game as well.

It just needs scrapping full stop. We aren't suddenly doing to get a raft of competent people running it, so it needs to go. What we do need is Hawkeye-style cameras on the touchlines to complement the effective goal-line technology (though I think the ball in the Newcastle game was definitely in - the bad decision there was the unpunished foul by Joelinton).

always_hoping

Deemed not out of play

Deemed out of play

Too much to ask for a bit of consistency with the officials decision making?

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
The close-up on MotD makes it more likely it's in again.

Compton22

Knows that he knows nothing.
Deemed not out of play

Deemed out of play

Too much to ask for a bit of consistency with the officials decision making?
If Arsenal ask for the VAR audio for this, I wish Utd would ask for the audio for the Brighton decision in return.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
I am fine with the goal standing but I am sure that in another game they would overturn the same goal for any of the 3 issues. Just completely random

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
Just seeing the decisions now in the Newcastle arsenal game, if that goal was scored by us it would 100% be ruled out

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Just seeing the decisions now in the Newcastle arsenal game, if that goal was scored by us it would 100% be ruled out
And it would be mentioned into the next PL season. I personally think the ball was in but maybe there was a case for a foul on Gabriel (but feck Arsenal anyway).

There was not a peep how the decision to let that goal stand makes the decision on ours complete bollocks.

Yet, a game later they remind everyone of Wolves' non-penalty against us. It's bloody ridiculous

TrailMonkey

The pen given to Sheffield United v Wolves should have been overturned too. Baldock was already going down under no challenge and Silva had pulled out. Just complete BS and another example of complete incompetence in PL officiating.

Josep Dowling

Anyone else seeing a trend that the Arab state owned clubs are getting the rub of the green this season?

The Purley King

Just watching motd and feck my life martinelli is a 100 % red card.
How on earth is that not a red.
Off his feet, dangerous, out of control. Scandalous decision.
Arteta can feck off and put some more shoe polish on his hair. Hope he gets a lengthy ban. But we all know he won’t

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Arteta can feck off and put some more shoe polish on his hair. Hope he gets a lengthy ban. But we all know he won’t
:lol:

yeah definite red. He was way off the ground flying in studs up

Withnail

Havertz, but yeah I thought so at the time.

The Purley King

Havertz, but yeah I thought so at the time.
Sorry yes Havertz
I mean are there any mitigating factors with that challenge?
Answer is no.
And then the Lego head prick has the nerve to moan about the goal.
Bore off you fecking skidmark.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Sorry yes Havertz
Answer is no.
Parts of his studs actually makes contact with Longstaf’s shin.

Zen

Forget the Arsenal stuff. Wolves have been utterly robbed by VAR/Refs twice now, highlighted on MOTD.... but today's was utterly farcical.

I thought United had it bad. Don't see Gary O'Neill taking it as bad as Arteta either, but what he said is absolutely right, ref can't actually explain it other than saying "it's a pen" apparently is a bit baffling.

Withnail

Sorry yes Havertz
Answer is no.
Ha ha I know.

They seem to make a decision of these things based on the outcome. Just because he got lucky and didn't smash his leg to pieces doesn't mean it was any less dangerous.

GazTheLegend

Forget the Arsenal stuff. Wolves have been utterly robbed by VAR/Refs twice now, highlighted on MOTD.... but today's was utterly farcical.

I thought United had it bad. Don't see Gary O'Neill taking it as bad as Arteta either, but what he said is absolutely right, ref can't actually explain it other than saying "it's a pen" apparently is a bit baffling.
They didn't even talk about our VAR decision which is par for the course for MOTD. If it had gone the other way there would have been a 15 minute segment dedicated to it, filled with that obsequious little toad Lineker bemoaning it and an apology from PGMOL etc.

GazTheLegend

MOTD didn’t even mention our disallowed goal. We are just supposed to move on
Yeah it's ridiculous at this point. You'd think they'd at least talk about it for a few seconds given that the decision took FOUR MINUTES for the VAR referees to go over our goal to find something to disallow. But no, nothing to see here boys let's move on? Maguire didn't even look offside anyway, and he didn't touch the ball. If he was millimetres off why disallow anyway.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Wolves have been utterly robbed by VAR/Refs twice now, highlighted on MOTD.... but today's was utterly farcical.
Yeah, but nobody gives a shit because that decision didn't benefit Man United.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
Clear foul and also clearly hits Joelinton's arm which should mean no goal even if inadvertent since it then bounces to the goalscorer.

My guess is they wasted a bunch of time thinking about whether the ball was out and whether it was offside and then skipped past the rest when they could have looked at this angle for about five seconds and determined it wasn't a goal.

Premier League football: Best managers in the world, best players in the world, best facilities in the world, best fan attendance in the world, and some of the worst refereeing in the world.

GoonerGirly

Supports
Arsenal
I agree Kai should have been sent off as should Guimaraes should have for Newcastle. He committed at least 2-3 yellow card incidents (deliberately hitting Jorginho in the head, barging into him from behind with no intent to win the ball) but only got a yellow. So I think both teams were fortunate there.

GoonerGirly

Supports
Arsenal
That tackle was crazy. Both Havertz and moreso Longstaff was lucky that there wasn't clean contact.
Yeah I think that's what just saves Havertz's backside, that the contact was relatively minimal. Still a red though as it was obviously very careless from Havertz.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Sorry yes Havertz
Answer is no.
:lol: Harsh but fair.

Havertz should have got two more yellow cards as well. One for sliding into Wilson incredibly late and another for deliberately stepping across to block Guimaraes from hitting a quick free kick to Trippier.

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
You want ETH to meltdown on top of this bad form? Because he's absolutely ripped the refs over the hysterically bad decisions United have had in this run, but in a controlled manner.

Arteta and Klopp have embarrassed themselves.
It’s thinking like this that has united and ETH dealing with Brentford as your new main rivals. It’s not embarrassing to call out the refs and VAR in whatever manner is needed after the ref and VAR make decisions that embarrass the league every matchday.

wr8_utd

:'(
Just how expensive would it be for the Premier League to have goal line technology enabled for not just the goal but also till both the corner flags? Surely the richest and greatest leaguer ever could afford that? Also, the continued lack of offside technology here the way it was used in the World Cup and in Serie A, is a bit baffling.

90 + 5min

They didn't even talk about our VAR decision which is par for the course for MOTD. If it had gone the other way there would have been a 15 minute segment dedicated to it, filled with that obsequious little toad Lineker bemoaning it and an apology from PGMOL etc.
ABU agenda. We know that is a issue for long time but this season has been nothing short of scandal.

Everybody knows that. It is even worse than what they think. That is why I want to see our club go with official statement that we are not going to accept this anymore and that we want investigations by external part if this happens again. We don’t want apology. We want justice. Next time we get crazy decisions against us, pretty much every game, manager should take players off field. Enough is enough.

Lost games against Arsenal, Tottenham, CP and Man City are all because of some wierd crazy stuff we have been served by refs and VAR. Not to mention that same thing have been happening against Wolves, Burnley and now Fulham. We are lucky we won those games.