VAR and Refs | General Discussion

arnie_ni

Unpopular opinion. I thought both decisions were correct under current rules.

Red card because even if you get the ball you can’t endanger the opponent with the follow through. That was a potential leg breaker even though unintended.
The handball one is no pen simply because of the bollocks rule about it can’t be handball if they are falling down and using their arms to support the fall. I don’t like the rule but based on that it’s never going to be given.
That silly falling to the ground rule can't be used bebcause he didn't fall he dropped himself down and toyslly misjudged jt

It's an easy pen

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
As a ref you will never be criticised for giving a decision against Man Utd. If it's in doubt just go against us. It's the easy way out of anything contentious. Logical so many officials do it.

Jack-C20

Our only hope is that he sees the incidents again at HT and gives us something soft.

Anustart89

Ref making an example of United players once more. Zero intention with Casemiro's tackle, blatantly clear his foot rode over the ball, Southampton player doing that same and the yellow would have stood.
Then the penalty incident, took the player then the ball and nothing :nono:
There are several mitigating factors in the Casemiro red that means that the clear and obvious test shouldn’t have been fulfilled (foot rolls over ball, leg is retracted upon contact), yet somehow they always find the worst possible interpretation when it comes to us.

90 + 5min

This needs to be brought into light. Regardless of result tenHag should go crazy in press conference. Club need to give out statement that this unacceptable behaviour of referees. This happens just to often that you wonder why. We can't be bullied pretty much every game. How can you exepct to fight for trophies with so many decisions against us?

Chief123

He wasn’t falling down. He fell down and stayed there
He was on his way down. It will never be given nowadays.

There will be no penalty if:

• the ball touches a player's hand/arm immediately from their own head/body/foot or the head/body/foot of another player.
  • the ball touches a player's hand/arm close to their body and has not made their silhouette unnaturally bigger.
  • a player is falling and the ball touches their hand/arm when it is between their body and the ground (but not extended to make the body bigger).
  • additionally, should the goalkeeper attempt to clear a ball from a teammate but fails, the goalkeeper is allowed to handle the ball.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
How the F is that a red. Yes, he went hard for the ball, but it kicked it first. He can't know his foot will take a rebound and crash the rival's leg.
Because he comes in with his studs up and his knee locked. You can't slide straight through players like that. He should slide on his other legs so he can come in with a bent knee and laces first. Then it's not a foul or a red. The biggest problem is that the refs are so inconsistent with tackles like this. Today it's a red, tomorrow it's a yellow...

Mmm-Qatarian

Just seen the Bella-Kotchap handball. How the feck was that not given?!

I'm honestly probably not going to watch the second half now. I'm absolutely infuriated. These inept cnuts just brazenly ruin matches and managers cannot call them out for it at risk of a ban.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
So that's a total of 8 games our best player is going to miss because of tugging someone's shirt collar and having his foot bounce off the ball.

Beyond a fecking joke.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
Shit show all round.

No context applied to the Casemiro tackle. It wasn't good, but there was no intent and I wouldn't call it excessive force. The contact with the ball changes the direction of his foot ffs.

It was absolutely a handball and would've been given if Martinez did it.

The added time. 1 minute. We may not have scored and we might need HT to regroup, but per the rules of football that alone is a serious question mark against Taylor there.

Crimson King

VAR has too much power to manipulate a game with when it gets involved and what and how it shows the ref footage.

It honestly wouldn't surprise me if it comes out eventually we have some sort game fixing going on (not just when UTD is involved, it happens weekly).

So much easier to control a game with VAR than direct with the ref.
I just want to understand the whole clear and obvious error thing! Casemiro's tackle could be seen as a red, but also plenty of refs would see that he's got the ball and just caught him accidentally and think a yellow is enough. That's what he ref obviously saw when it happened in real time.

Why did VAR get involved here?! There was no fecking need to! Then all they did was show a still image of his studs connecting with the Soton players leg...it's such a fecking joke!

Matriac

Don't think it was a handball, was shot towards him and he stopped the ball with his body anyway, it also hitting his hand on the way down didn't really change the direction of the ball nor keep it from us.

That tackle on Bruno was definitely a pen. Ridiculous that he didn't spend longer looking at it.

Case one is silly. It's orange. Am fine with a red being given, but also didn't feel it was a clear and obvious error. For many other teams it wouldn't have been looked at. But it makes for a great storyline when it's us.

Feels even more unfair since since his red earlier in the season shouldn't have been a red, and he now misses an extra match due to it.

IRN-BRUno

The Southampton radio commentary ended the half by saying that Anthony Taylor showed his class by not giving in to crowd intimidation :lol:

arnie_ni

• the ball touches a player's hand/arm immediately from their own head/body/foot or the head/body/foot of another player.
  • the ball touches a player's hand/arm close to their body and has not made their silhouette unnaturally bigger.
  • a player is falling and the ball touches their hand/arm when it is between their body and the ground (but not extended to make the body bigger).
  • additionally, should the goalkeeper attempt to clear a ball from a teammate but fails, the goalkeeper is allowed to handle the ball.
He dropped himself down and misjudged it and lent the left side of his body, arm included into the direction of the ball. He wasn't falling. That's why these rules are stupid. Football isn't black and white like that rule makes it.

AndySmith1990

The way stoppage time is handled needs looking at. It's completely made up at the discretion of the ref

Chief123

Don't think it was a handball, was shot towards him and he stopped the ball with his body anyway, it also hitting his hand on the way down didn't really change the direction of the ball nor keep it from us.

That tackle on Bruno was definitely a pen. Ridiculous that he didn't spend longer looking at it.

Case one is silly. It's orange. Am fine with a red being given, but also didn't feel it was a clear and obvious error. For many other teams it wouldn't have been looked at. But it makes for a great storyline when it's us.

Feels even more unfair since since his red earlier in the season shouldn't have been a red, and he now misses an extra match due to it.
I thought the tackle on Bruno was the easiest decision of them all. Didn’t think it was a pen. Defender gets the ball before making any contact with Bruno.

Shinjch

The handball one is just a clear penalty. Nonsense that it wasn't given

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist

It was literally extended to make his body bigger

Dansk

It gets really fecking tiresome to be the team that the refs go out of their way to be harsh to, especially while simultaneously having to listen to imbeciles claiming we always have the refs on our side. Somehow, opposition fans have managed to convince themselves of the literal opposite of the truth.

ArbeitervonWien

Feck off this fecking var-shit. It was supposed to make the decisions better. It ain't. It's just fecking annoying and we still have to suffer fecking ridiculous refereeing. What's the point?

Fr. Todd Unctious

As a ref you will never be criticised for giving a decision against Man Utd. If it's in doubt just go against us. It's the easy way out of anything contentious. Logical so many officials do it.

100% bang on. They only time you'll ever hear refs being criticised in a game involving United is when the benficiaries of a decision have been us as we saw after the City game

dove

Can someone explain to me what Taylor saw first time to decide it was a yellow, compared to what he saw on the monitor to decide it was a red?
Whoever was in charge of showing VAR replay made sure to help Taylor decide by showing a replay right from the moment Casemiro hit the leg. No idea how it qualifies for a "clear and obvious error".

Mmm-Qatarian

This is the point, we see the decision given one week and then not another. People would be ok with harsh decisions if they were consistent. VAR is being used as a sort of Mario Kart pick up to make the game more interesting.
This is exactly it. VAR itself could be a great addition to the game but instead it's ruining peoples' enjoyment because there's just no fecking way of knowing what is and is not going to be checked and reviewed.

Kag

The fecking state of that handball.

I can just about accept the Casemiro decision. He’s unlucky, but the rules are what they are.

That handball, though. Jesus Christ.

Sviken

Appeal this fecking shit. I don't care if they ban Casemiro for 10 more games, an example has to be set that we won't keep quiet with this bullshit anymore. You can't just pick and choose what rules are you going to set on a given day and against which team. Never a red, penalties all day long, but if this was reversed, it would have never been given for us.

I want Ten Hag to lay on these cnuts because evidently Klopp and Guardiola's consistent whining actually works. As long as we keep quiet and take it up the chin, they'll always screw us more and more.

Jev

Does anyone has a real time clip of the Casemiro tackle? The slow-motion and selective angles have a big part in making these tackles look worse than they are. I did think it looked reddish, though.

OverratedOpinion

Worst officiated half of football I can remember since the game where Nani was sent off against Real Madrid. I am not one for conspiracy theories but I do legitimately believe there was a paid off official in that game. This one I don't believe so but I do believe the officials here are unhappy with United and actively showing it.

city-puma

There is an agenda today. It started from the yellow card to Martinez. What are they planning?!