VAR and Refs | General Discussion | May 15: Premier League clubs to vote on proposal to scrap VAR from next season

IRELANDUNITED

Why was there no PGMOL apology for the handball against Tottenham? Is it only when a decision goes against Liverpool

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Anyway, feck up on the offside call aside, I thought the two reds were the correct call. But because they messed up the offside the reds will probably get fed into the narrative of injustice too.
let's not forget the non foul for Jota's first yellow. or Salah getting cautioned after another non foul winning the ball in a great position. or Gomez getting run down in the box without the defender getting near the ball.

Also think VAR stitched up Jones. you can debate the red, but there is absolutely nothing for their ref to consider with what they showed him.

Honestly can't remember such a shit show of a refereeing performance that was also so one sided. The level of incompetence from the whole team is just staggering.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
let's not forget the non foul for Jota's first yellow. or Salah getting cautioned after another non foul winning the ball in a great position. or Gomez getting run down in the box without the defender getting near the ball.

Also think VAR stitched up Jones. you can debate the red, but there is absolutely nothing for their ref to consider with what they showed him.

Honestly can't remember such a shit show of a refereeing performance that was also so one sided. The level of incompetence from the whole team is just staggering.
I thought he clipped him so it was a foul. And salah got cautioned for kicking the ball away and dissent, not the challenge. Even though I didn’t think that was a foul tbh but they’re always given

PoTMS

Why the feck is Klopp talking about United again? Keep my club's name out your fecking mouth.

B20

Supports
Liverpool
I thought he clipped him so it was a foul. And salah got cautioned for kicking the ball away and dissent, not the challenge. Even though I didn’t think that was a foul tbh but they’re always given
If you mean jotas first yellow then no. he clearly trips himself.
I am not upset about Salah's yellow but giving that as a foul is just another piece of atrocious and singularly one sided judgement on the night

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
If you mean jotas first yellow then no. he clearly trips himself.
I am not upset about Salah's yellow but giving that as a foul is just another piece of atrocious and singularly one sided judgement on the night
I meant his first yellow yes, I thought he clipped his leg which then causes the spurs players legs to get caught up

90 + 5min

As I said, they're supposed to use the first frame available to them in which the ball has been clearly played. So I don't know why you're saying the bold as if you didn't expect to see the ball having been played in the frame they used. There is indeed room for difference between that frame and the hypothetical perfect frame that would exist if the camera framerate was better, which is why they have the MOE Garnacho fell outside. You can feel free to complain that the MOE doesn't sufficiently compensate for the gap in frames if you want, but it is what it is. Until the tech improves, they can only work with the frames and MOE at their disposal, which they did.

And they didn't use the wrong part of the body. The defender's shoulder was further forward than his head because his upper body was turned. Again, that's something they're able to easily determine with the scope lines they use, and in this case I thought it was pretty clear just from looking at the image. Though given at least one poster tried to tell me it was physically impossible to have your shoulder further forward than your head, I'm not surprised there's an unwillingness to accept that.

There was no conspiracy or error in that offside call. You don't have to like it, you might think there is room for error in the system, but it was completely consistent with how offsides are supposed to be applied. In fact we've had much tighter calls than that go against us in the past.
Because you can see clearly when the first touch was before the ball was being passed forward. It is the first touch of the ball that counts not when it was on the way. So they can frame by frame check that. If you talk about margin of error. May I remind you that goal was allowed in first place. So taking away a goal because of that is wrong. Why isn't margin of error being used the other way?

There is a error on that goal. Something you don't agree. I find it hard to understand why we have been getting important decisions against us pretty much every single game. We need to be 5 times better than our opponents to win games nowdays because we are not getting any decisions. Or do you think that we have been lucky with decisions?

PoTMS

What did he say?
Klopp said the statement "doesn't help" and referenced the apology Wolves received for the decision not to award a penalty at Manchester United earlier in the season.

"I don't think we should talk too much about that because it doesn't help at all," said Klopp.

"Wolves got a similar statement, or apology. They didn't get a point out of United and we won't get a point today so it doesn't help.

El Zoido

What did he say?
(Referring to the PGMOL statement/apology)

He said: "Who does that help? We had that situation in the Man Utd game. Did Wolves get points for it? We won't get points for it. We all thought that when VAR came in it would make things easier."

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
(Referring to the PGMOL statement/apology)

He said: "Who does that help? We had that situation in the Man Utd game. Did Wolves get points for it? We won't get points for it. We all thought that when VAR came in it would make things easier."
Why am I irrationally annoyed about him mentioning us even though everything he said is correct. Wanker.

Longshanks

Shambles. How do you forget to properly check the offside?

Automated system with a bigger margin for error and anything that lies within that MOE to revert to onfield decision, encourage linesman to only flag if they see daylight. That way VAR is only going to get involved for genuine offsides not fingernails.

Scrap VAR in it's current format for everything else. There is far to much contention in so many decisions.

Give the onfield ref the ability to review something themselves if they feel the need to. No VAR just the on-field ref giving themselves a different perspective if they feel they need one.

El Zoido

Why am I irrationally annoyed about him mentioning us even though everything he said is correct. Wanker.
At least he got a fecking apology. Why haven't PGMOL apologised to us yet? Their apologies are as inconsistent as their on-field decisions.

They should have apologised for not giving us a penalty vs Spurs, should have apologised for not giving us a penalty vs Arsenal. I want Ten Hag to come out and ask where the feck our apology is.

acnumber9

Do they think releasing that information makes it better? What they’re saying there is that the VAR knew it was wrong and made the conscious choice to not do anything about it. VAR has to go.

saivet

Well that’s complete bollocks. Why didn’t the VAR correct them when Spurs lined up the free kick?
Bizarre really. Doubt they will release the audio but this seems like an embarrassing mistake that could have been easily rectified

B20

Supports
Liverpool
Bizarre really. Doubt they will release the audio but this seems like an embarrassing mistake that could have been easily rectified
Honestly think they didn't even draw the lines and this is another case of "we didn't want to overturn a decision unless it's a clear and obvious error" self invented insular bullshit culture that is clearly rampant in the refereeing world.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Because you can see clearly when the first touch was before the ball was being passed forward. It is the first touch of the ball that counts not when it was on the way. So they can frame by frame check that. If you talk about margin of error. May I remind you that goal was allowed in first place. So taking away a goal because of that is wrong. Why isn't margin of error being used the other way?

There is a error on that goal. Something you don't agree. I find it hard to understand why we have been getting important decisions against us pretty much every single game. We need to be 5 times better than our opponents to win games nowdays because we are not getting any decisions. Or do you think that we have been lucky with decisions?
He thinks he’s Dermott fecking Gallagher. You only need a set of eyes to see that there’s an issue with the angle on the Garnacho ‘offside’ and also the frame used. There is no 100% accuracy and you only need to put your body in the same position as the Arsenal defender to know that his head was the furthest forward. I don’t need a line, an excuse and a wannabe Dermot to tell me otherwise

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
At least he got a fecking apology. Why haven't PGMOL apologised to us yet? Their apologies are as inconsistent as their on-field decisions.

They should have apologised for not giving us a penalty vs Spurs, should have apologised for not giving us a penalty vs Arsenal. I want Ten Hag to come out and ask where the feck our apology is.
I don’t think they should apologise to anyone, it just sets a precedent. Like you said, where’s our apology? Why aren’t they apologising for every error? It doesn’t change anything so what’s the point? Nothing changes.

For me it was even more infuriating watching dermot Gallagher trying to cover for his mates in that interview.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Aside from anything else, it seems like an obvious risk in their protocol if all they're supposed to say is "check complete" rather than verbalise the actual decision (i.e. "Check complete, the player is onside, the goal can be awarded").

cj_sparky

"Darren England checked for offside because he thought it had been given as a goal" So while all that was going on what was the 2nd VAR assistant doing in that moment?

That excuse sounds really poor to be honest. Not enough time seemed to pass to even do the lines.

B20

Supports
Liverpool
Jotas left knee catches the boot. Minimal but enough at speed to affect the stride
Even if that is the case (don't think I am seeing it tbh), it is barely a foul and never a yellow.

LDUred

Big gob Klopp referencing the Onana call is a bit much.

What about the clear handball that Semedo committed for a goalbound effort?

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
"Darren England checked for offside because he thought it had been given as a goal" So while all that was going on what was the 2nd VAR assistant doing in that moment?

That excuse sounds really poor to be honest. Not enough time seemed to pass to even do the lines.
Well that's the point, they didn't fully do the lines because it was quickly obvious to them that he was onside. When the call is that clear they're not supposed to follow through with the full process because it's a waste of time. So they just said "check complete" thinking the goal would be given.

acnumber9

Again, utter nonsense. The ref blew the final whistle on a United game and brought it back for a penalty. It takes seconds to see the players aren’t going back to the halfway line. If play can be brought back for wrong decisions, it can be brought back after a free kick is taken. I mean, are they not paying attention to the match and the refs signal? Did the ref not tell anybody the decision?

cj_sparky

Well that's the point, they didn't fully do the lines because it was quickly obvious to them that he was onside. When the call is that clear they're not supposed to follow through with the full process because it's a waste of time.
I cannot recall a single instance in the Premier League that hasn't been given the full line treatment, even when it has been blatantly obvious it was onside by a similar margin. I always remember seeing lines.

Nothing should be a waste of time, it is a couple of minutes extra that takes out any element of doubt and minutes that can be added on.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I cannot recall a single instance in the Premier League that hasn't been given the full line treatment, even when it has been blatantly obvious it was onside by a similar margin. I always remember seeing lines.

Nothing should be a waste of time, it is a couple of minutes extra that takes out any element of doubt and minutes that can be added on.
I can happily assure you it does happen.

Read through this thread and you'll see a few examples of it, where he says "Clear offside, full calibration not required". And you can see from the image that the full calibration indeed wasn't used.

That thread is from 2020, so it isn't anything new. It's just relatively rare as they're obviously going to err on the side of caution most of the time and draw the lines.

NotChatGPT

Brownfinger
I’m genuinly confused here. The replay clearly shows the linesman flagging Diaz for offside, and the replay also shows Diaz going from celebrating to stopping up and jogging back when he looks up at the linesman.

Obviously the only thing they can do now is follow this up by releasing the audio confirming it

Last edited:

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Fecking arseholes. All of them agreed it was a goal and still couldn't communicate that. Fecking firing offence.

And why is that cnuting linesman getting off Scott free? Why raise the flag after playing on in such a tight call? Let VAR do it's job. Cnuting cheats the lot of them. Arab money at play.

We have history with both the linesman and Darren at VAR from before (just saw some stats in other tweets). These cnuts are going to games with specific Arab orders. Cnuts.