VAR and Refs | General Discussion | Forest go into meltdown

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
Agree with the last part but the consistency from match to match and different competitions was also inconsistent beforehand.
You could at least understand it. People making split second decisions in the heat of the moment are going to get things wrong or not see things.

But now they have all the technology at their disposal and are allow to take their time to come to the correct decision. And after all that time, they just pull something random out of their arses.

fallengt

- Ball deflected from feet to hand, hand in natural position. By the book it's not a pen.
- Offside player blocked gk's view
- Elbow on Hojlund's head deserved at least 2nd yellow
- But " Rashford's redcard was correctly given. WELL DONE VAR TEAM"
No conspiracy at all. Purely coincidental.

Can we at least expect consistency in the same match? It's too much to ask? Oh okay

Himannv

I think VAR needs to take a leaf out of the cricket playbook. Give the decision to review to each team: 2 reviews per team and use them wisely team captain. In addition to that, the officials can have some support if they have enough doubt to review. Right now it's ruining games and even churning out incorrect decisions, which defeats the purpose of the whole thing anyway if you think about it.

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
Can we all agree its a failure. BTW if everyone thinks Rashford should not have been sent off then admit now that Curtis Jones should not have been sent off either when he slipped on top of a ball before going into the players leg. Two terrible decisions.

VP

We really need fans to mobilise for some sort of Super League style protests to get rid of this scourge.

Otherwise can't see anyone in football having the backbone to roll this back.

christy87

Supports
Dipping tea in toast
Can we all agree its a failure. BTW if everyone thinks Rashford should not have been sent off then admit now that Curtis Jones should not have been sent off either when he slipped on top of a ball before going into the players leg. Two terrible decisions.
I had already said it to the Liverpool fan at work, var is making the game soft, it’s causing players to put themselves in potentially damaging situations as they know var is there.

IRELANDUNITED

I can’t believe I’m saying this but we need to stoop down to the level of Liverpool and Arsenal and make an absolute shite storm over the constant decisions that are going against us. Accepting an occasional decision going against you is one thing, but when it is decision after decision, week after week, for almost a year now, something has to be done. We need to request an investigation into the officials that are involved in our games, it’s gone beyond sloppy refereeing, it’s criminal the amount of decisions that referees are getting wrong at our expense.

If for no other reason than to create a stir the club needs to start asking questions. We’ve seen before how easily manipulated refereeing bodies can be. Klopp threw his toys out of the pram because we were getting quite a few penalties a few years ago, the people in charge clearly heard this and we’ve had what, 4 penalties since? Klopp also made a huge deal after the Tottenham decision went against them and they’ve been benefiting from soft decisions ever seen.

Even though we are playing shite we still don’t need to tolerate this illegal activity. The manager and whoever the fućk it is that’s in charge needs to think very carefully about their next move, they need to start asking questions and demanding answers as to how so much is going against us from the officials.

always_hoping

Game has been ruined by the introduction of VAR and when it comes to hand ball penalty decisions in the champions league it's even worse than the Premier league. Any goal scored now you are left waiting or wondering to see has VAR spotted something, imagine if it was around for the Champions League final in 1999?

lysglimt

Scout
Have defended VAR 100% - now I just can't anymore. It's not VAR there is something wrong with - it's referees being incompetent or inconsitent, but it's a too powerful tool for them to have.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
It feels like talking to a brick wall. You are literally making things up here. He was offside exactly becsuse he was judged, by the rules, to have impacted. You making things up that arent't in the actual rules won't change that.
Finally one thing we can agree on. It is indeed like talking to a brick wall

Kingofwinners

Game has been ruined by the introduction of VAR and when it comes to hand ball penalty decisions in the champions league it's even worse than the Premier league. Any goal scored now you are left waiting or wondering to see has VAR spotted something, imagine if it was around for the Champions League final in 1999?
This is the key point for me. Also the 1993 goal against Sheffield Wednesday, they were moments of intense sheer joy that would just be different today instead of celebrating in the moment you would be waiting for a check. Also I hate play acting but agree with a previous poster if Hojlund stays down there would be a VAR check etc.

Other sports such as Tennis, cricket, rugby, American football are naturally more stop start than football and less impacted by pauses to check. But football is best when it’s fast flowing and spontaneous. Personally would just get rid of it 100% but can’t see it happen in our tech makes everything better world.

Ibi Dreams

The game's genuinely gone

Governing bodies absolutely must either walk back VAR or significantly change the way it can be used. It's a complete disaster

arnie_ni

Looks like he attempted an elbow control and missed the ball. No intent to hurt, good process, play on.
Missed 2nd yellow though. Var should be able to step in there when the end result is a game defining red card.

Player goes on to score equaliser.

Longshanks

Missed 2nd yellow though. Var should be able to step in there when the end result is a game defining red card.

Its a straight red violent conduct deliberately strikes opponent in face with forearm/elbow. On review that is the only conclusion you can come up with the balls gone and it's as clear as day. Its a VAR mistake absolutely no doubt, that along with missing the interfering offside player for the first goal makes 2 clear mistakes.

The two penalties were awful decisions but at least they were consistent, and that's the way it goes in Europe at the moment.

The Rashford red was highly debatable, it looks alot worse using still frames and slo mo and taken out of context, but it was an accidental coming together. I wasn't surprised when I saw the replay that in the current climate they decided red card. But it's an unfortunate coming together that is part and parcel of a contact sport. Should we really be punishing that with a red?

Compare it to the violent conduct incident that they decided was perfectly fine and you really do wonder what on earth is going on.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
You know when we get a bad decision in the PL and there is talk about lack of accountability it is still a lot better than European football. At least in the PL you know the people involved and there is generally an ongoing conversation about decisions. In Europe you have multiple games going on at the same time, you get a random referee & don’t know who is VAR and then once a bad decision is made you are just supposed to accept it & move on. UEFA basically never acknowledges any decisions and you generally don’t see the same refs twice a season. Absolutely zero accountability for doing a bad job

DownRiver

Honestly, I think that the lack of a backbone from the manager and hierarchy to call out VAR is pathetic.

The refs seem to give decisions that are on the edge because they know there will be no consequences from the manager or the club. They would not give such decisions to Real Madrid or Barcelona.

I hope Ratcliff comes on to pressures the United hierarchy to put pressure on refs.

It does not help that Ten Hag does not speak out and says things like he hoped that the decisions will eventually come in their favour?!

Hughes35

The red card and both hand balls are dreadful decisions. I stuck up for VAR last gane with the offside goal saying I thought it was correct..... these three are really bad though.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
The red card and both hand balls are dreadful decisions. I stuck up for VAR last gane with the offside goal saying I thought it was correct..... these three are really bad though.
What about their first goal also? If ours last game was correct how is that not offside

cyberman

Looks like he attempted an elbow control and missed the ball. No intent to hurt, good process, play on.
So it’s it not a red because he attempted to hand the ball and missed?
How does that make any sense?

arnie_ni

Its a straight red violent conduct deliberately strikes opponent in face with forearm/elbow. On review that is the only conclusion you can come up with the balls gone and it's as clear as day. Its a VAR mistake absolutely no doubt, that along with missing the interfering offside player for the first goal makes 2 clear mistakes.

The two penalties were awful decisions but at least they were consistent, and that's the way it goes in Europe at the moment.

The Rashford red was highly debatable, it looks alot worse using still frames and slo mo and taken out of context, but it was an accidental coming together. I wasn't surprised when I saw the replay that in the current climate they decided red card. But it's an unfortunate coming together that is part and parcel of a contact sport. Should we really be punishing that with a red?

Compare it to the violent conduct incident that they decided was perfectly fine and you really do wonder what on earth is going on.
I don't think it was enough for a red but the ref should have defo gave him a second yellow which would have been the same result in the course of the game.

Dan_F

It should have been looked at for a potential red. VAR can then recommended a yellow if it’s not deemed red card worthy. For example, with Rashford’s one, they could have decided it was only a yellow after checking it.

They just chose to completely ignore it.

arnie_ni

It should have been looked at for a potential red. VAR can then recommended a yellow if it’s not deemed red card worthy. For example, with Rashford’s one, they could have decided it was only a yellow after checking it.

Thought var was red or nothing?

ti vu

The issue with the VAR rule is that either referee after reviewing the footage, chooses to send off the player, or just ignore the booking offense. There is no check for yellow card offense. Just like same minor foul missed by ref, if not goal involved wouldn't be checked, yet they try to look at any bit in sequence leading to goal.

nmm85

I do wonder if VAR would benefit from not showing still images (fine for offsides ofc) or slowed down play. Happy to show different angles but it's a different scenario when sloweddown.And why do the on field refs have to always give fouls/send off whenever they have to go to the pitch side monitor?!

Last edited:

Dan_F

Thought var was red or nothing?
They will review any moment that could be serious foul play. The ref can definitely give just a yellow after reviewing the monitor, I’ve seen that happen before. Whether the VAR can directly recommend a yellow without the ref going over to the screen, I don’t know.

spiriticon

I'm tired of us being the nice guys to refs. I used to try and be understanding but they just get poorer and poorer each year. We've had very little rub of the green since Klopp mouthed off about our pen record.

Let's stop being nice and give it to them like Arteta does.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

100%. I think it was @Anustart89 who first pointed out but one of the most insane ways in which VAR is used is the way it seems to be much more intent on protecting players from bruised shins than brain damage.

Anustart89

100%. I think it was @Anustart89 who first pointed out but one of the most insane ways in which VAR is used is the way it seems to be much more intent on protecting players from bruised shins than brain damage.
Yup, one of my pet peeves that.

Maybe players should wear helmets like they wear shinguards, and when a player strikes the helmet then the ref can receive a notification from an impact sensor in the helmet on his watch so that he miiiiight possibly realise that the head's been struck.