VAR Decisions - PL 19/20 Season

Are you in favour of VAR in the PL?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Hound Dog

Supports
Whoever I bet on
Kane was fouled in the penalty area and he should get a penalty.

Silva was fouled in the penalty area and he should get a penalty.

Martial was fouled in the penalty area and he should get a penalty.

Three easy decisions for VAR and all were wrong. I don't think that we should blame VAR as the system, but the people that use this VAR in England. It's also weird that VAR didn't oppose referee's decision in either case.
This.

It has been around for a while in Germany and Italy and adds a lot to the integrity of the game.

The way it is used in England is farcical. Or, to take a different view, highlights how crap English referees are.

AlwaysRed66

Three easy decisions for VAR and all were wrong. I don't think that we should blame VAR as the system, but the people that use this VAR in England. It's also weird that VAR didn't oppose referee's decision in either case.
You say three easy decisions, but the Kane one is correct & not a penalty. So your saying VAR should overturn a correct decision. Souness & Lescott explained this clearly after the match.

Red14Devil9

You say three easy decisions, but the Kane one is correct & not a penalty. So your saying VAR should overturn a correct decision. Souness & Lescott explained this clearly after the match.
That was a clear foul, Newcastle's player tripped and brought down Kane. It was a clear contact, which makes it a penalty.

The Irish Connection

Yes. Little wrong with var itself but the way it has been used so far in England has been ridiculous. I could have told you within 10 seconds that all of the above were pens. And if you’re really that afraid to call an obvious decision then tell the ref to go and look at it on the monitor.

Edit: agreed that the Kane one was marginal but the other two definite.

Anustart89

That was a clear foul, Newcastle's player tripped and brought down Kane. It was a clear contact, which makes it a penalty.
The player tripped and fell somewhat in the way of Kane, but there was a clear unnatural movement of Kane's left leg to ensure contact, not dissimilar to the way Young flings his leg out when diving to ensure contact. I'm fine with that one not being a penalty, and I'd be fine with it if a pen was given. Fair not to overrule that one. The other two were absolute bollocks though.

AlwaysRed66

As Anustart89 has said & add. Kane does what he always does & tries to lean in on his opponent to gain momentum to shoot, but unfortunately for him the player fell, & when Kane leaned in there was no one there, so he did as well. Great ref decision. At the end of the day these decisions are based on peoples interpretation of what has happened, & there is disagreement. Two of the three panellists thought ref had made the right decision as do many fans. Always makes me laugh when people say nailed on penalty when they usually are not.

Are you a VAR supporter by the way. If you are then what are you moaning about. That is what VAR is about. You either support it or you don't. I don't support VAR due to decisions that are not clear cut but someone's opinion. Rather have the ref making these whether right or wrong, instead of some panel which might be just as right or wrong.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
If Souness and Lescott explained it after the match then they were wrong. It was a blatant penalty. It may not have been on purpose but he still took Kane out. Being clumbsy isn't an excuse to foul someone. It was 100% a penalty. So was the foul on Martial (and could have been a red card) as well as Cahill's foul on Rashford should have been a red. I don't think VAR is used for yellow cards, but that was criminal to give James a yellow card for diving when he was clearly kicked in the knee. I'm all for VAR but the whole point is to get the correct decisions from it. So far the guys running VAR in England are failing...

AlwaysRed66

If Souness and Lescott explained it after the match then they were wrong. It was a blatant penalty. It may not have been on purpose but he still took Kane out. Being clumbsy isn't an excuse to foul someone. It was 100% a penalty. So was the foul on Martial (and could have been a red card) as well as Cahill's foul on Rashford should have been a red. I don't think VAR is used for yellow cards, but that was criminal to give James a yellow card for diving when he was clearly kicked in the knee. I'm all for VAR but the whole point is to get the correct decisions from it. So far the guys running VAR in England are failing...
I explained in post above why it isn't a penalty, but at the end of the day we will disagree & will thousands of others. That is why you cannot make decisions like this dependant on VAR. If you support VAR I don't not what you are complaining about. Whether this is the same system as used in other countries is irrelevant. At the end of the day it is still someone's interpretation of what is or isn't a foul. Much rather have a referee make that decision, as they have done for well over a century, rather than the game to be disrupted so another group can hold hands around a table looking at stop motion video. You are either a supporter of VAR or you are not, not when it suits you.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
I explained in post above why it isn't a penalty, but at the end of the day we will disagree & will thousands of others. That is why you cannot make decisions like this dependant on VAR. If you support VAR I don't not what you are complaining about. Whether this is the same system as used in other countries is irrelevant. At the end of the day it is still someone's interpretation of what is or isn't a foul. Much rather have a referee make that decision, as they have done for well over a century, rather than the game to be disrupted so another group can hold hands around a table looking at stop motion video. You are either a supporter of VAR or you are not, not when it suits you.
With the Kane incident the ref was clearly jesturing for help from VAR. You could see his reaction in that he didn't have the right view to make the call and was asking for help. I missed you're explanation, but I'm sure I will disagree. I will look back for it. That was as clear as it gets for a penalty, just as Martial's was. And I'm for VAR, but I want them to actually use it. How the ref didn't get a call on Martial's was a real head scratcher. The guy was fouling him from outside the box and for a good 3 or 4 steps as he got into the box. This is typically were a defender will let go, but he didn't and it was as blatant as it gets...mind you, we probably would have missed the pk anyways

noodlehair

"It's like..."
How long are the PL refs going to be allowed to use VAR to make a farse of the whole thing and manipulate the outcome of games before someone actually calls them up on it?

Ref won't give a call now because he has VAR, and the VAR won't make the call because the referee union don't want to undermine themselves by correcting the ref on the pitch.

Our referees are too precious and up their own arses to be trusted with something like this, as we've seen from the one's who've given interviews or now work with Sky, BY etc. The VAR should be someone independent from the PL refs and shouldn't be cherry picking when to get involved.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
Former Premier League referee Neil Swarbrick, in charge of the VAR hub said:

“When we looked at VAR and how to use it best, the fundamental emphasis was for refs to do what they do – and not even think about VAR. Telling them to forget VAR when it’s there may seem odd – but that’s how we operate. Make your decision and if it’s one that can be changed – a penalty, red card or build-up to a goal – explain to VAR why you gave it. So all the emphasis is on the referee.

If his reasons replicate what VAR is looking at – then it doesn’t matter what VAR thinks the decision should be.

That’s not what VAR is about. It’s about the ref making the right call – and setting the bar as high as possible.”
I was stunned when i first read this.

I think this explains what we have seen this weekend.

El Zoido

How long are the PL refs going to be allowed to use VAR to make a farse of the whole thing and manipulate the outcome of games before someone actually calls them up on it?

Ref won't give a call now because he has VAR, and the VAR won't make the call because the referee union don't want to undermine themselves by correcting the ref on the pitch.

Our referees are too precious and up their own arses to be trusted with something like this, as we've seen from the one's who've given interviews or now work with Sky, BY etc. The VAR should be someone independent from the PL refs and shouldn't be cherry picking when to get involved.
Spot on. And it was no more evident than yesterday with denying the penalty to Martial. It’s baffling because in no world is that not a penalty, VAR is supposed to pick up on this kind of thing. The two potential outcomes are that a) refs are protecting each other and don’t want to overrule one another, or b) they genuinely didn’t think it was a penalty. Both scenarios are deeply concerning.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
As Anustart89 has said & add. Kane does what he always does & tries to lean in on his opponent to gain momentum to shoot, but unfortunately for him the player fell, & when Kane leaned in there was no one there, so he did as well. Great ref decision. At the end of the day these decisions are based on peoples interpretation of what has happened, & there is disagreement. Two of the three panellists thought ref had made the right decision as do many fans. Always makes me laugh when people say nailed on penalty when they usually are not.

Are you a VAR supporter by the way. If you are then what are you moaning about. That is what VAR is about. You either support it or you don't. I don't support VAR due to decisions that are not clear cut but someone's opinion. Rather have the ref making these whether right or wrong, instead of some panel which might be just as right or wrong.
Yes, Kane leans on him. As good strikers do. Use your strength to keep your defender from the ball. But then the defender falls right into Kane's path. Being clumbsy isn't an excuse. Kane goes to ground because he fell over a defender who didn't play the ball. 100% a penalty. 2 out of 3 panellists may have said no penalty is the right call, but all that proves is that 2 out of 3 panellists are wrong. If it's not a foul, then we should have Phil Jones starting every week because I'm sure he can take out a few guys every game in this exact same manner and apparently we wouldn't have to worry about it...

Amarsdd

I haven't really followed the post-match stuff since yesterday, so has there been much talk in the media about the awful VAR/ref decisions (2 pens and 1 red card at least) in our game like the upheaval that we had in the media regarding the not-penalty decision in City-Tott game last week? or has it just been about our so-called penalty "disaster", "weak Ole" talks?

redshaw

From Majima's post

Former Premier League referee Neil Swarbrick, in charge of the VAR hub said:

“When we looked at VAR and how to use it best, the fundamental emphasis was for refs to do what they do – and not even think about VAR. Telling them to forget VAR when it’s there may seem odd – but that’s how we operate. Make your decision and if it’s one that can be changed – a penalty, red card or build-up to a goal – explain to VAR why you gave it. So all the emphasis is on the referee.

If his reasons replicate what VAR is looking at – then it doesn’t matter what VAR thinks the decision should be.

That’s not what VAR is about. It’s about the ref making the right call – and setting the bar as high as possible.”
So if the ref thinks it's not a penalty and video replay shows 100% it is, we just act like VAR doesn't exist. What was the point of it then? Might as well say it's just for offsides.

Also I gather there is no screens pitch side for the ref to watch the replay? I can imagine then they don't want to just override the ref.

The precedent has been set now, people will be pissed if they randomly start accepting the VAR call.

How can you have 9/10 stone wall pens just chalked up to ref felt it wasn't a pen then one time they give it? All kinds of betting and game engineering can take place. I would officially declare it's offsides only as Martial was clearly brought down in a goal scoring opportunity. The City player last week wasn't so I thought that's why it wasn't given.

It would be scandalous for a ref now to accept the VAR call if a similar thing happens where a player was brought down.

Last edited:

mav_9me

I didn't see the silva incident. But I saw the Kane and Martial incidents. Both penalties imo.

So far this implementation of VAR has been a joke.

Perseus

Yeah, it’s hard to recollect a single decision given by the ref that has been overturned by the VAR in the 30 games so far, apart from the goal checks. Is there any really?
Last week Brighton and West Ham were all ready to KO w/o protests when the referee took a marginal 50/50 offside decision made entirely by VAR. Burn offside by camera at the beginning of the move at a telephoto angle that would be distorted unless corrected. Replays not shown and after match not wound back enough to inform the crowd. Not known the reason until MoTD.

This week the goal was disallowed for offside and the only confusion was that the linesman did not flag Burn offside. VAR confirmed referee decision.

AlwaysRed66

Yes, Kane leans on him. As good strikers do. Use your strength to keep your defender from the ball. But then the defender falls right into Kane's path. Being clumbsy isn't an excuse. Kane goes to ground because he fell over a defender who didn't play the ball. 100% a penalty. 2 out of 3 panellists may have said no penalty is the right call, but all that proves is that 2 out of 3 panellists are wrong. If it's not a foul, then we should have Phil Jones starting every week because I'm sure he can take out a few guys every game in this exact same manner and apparently we wouldn't have to worry about it...
Obviously two football professionals who played at the highest level don't know what they are talking about nor many fans like myself, as you are obviously a far better expert in the field than us or professional match officials. I say it is 100% not a penalty for the reasons I have stated, so we are at a impasse. This is why VAR will never work as at the end of the day decisions like handball & fouls are interpreted differently by different people, & this wont change. This is why I don't agree with VAR, & whatever system it has in place, these situations are going to get worse not better, as officials on pitch give up even making decisions & leave it to VAR. You are entitled to your opinion, just like myself & others, but I don't support VAR, & this is the reason why. You have stated you do, so will have to accept the results of it, not just when you agree with it.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
I'm in favour of VAR but not the obvious clowns studying it. How many more blatant penalties/offsides are they going to miss?

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Reminder that VAR cannot change a referee's decision on subjective calls. VAR cannot tell Mike Dean to give the penalty. What it can and should do is tell him to watch a replay

Replay which will be played at live speed, too, but from multiple and better angles

Treble

In their desire to implement VAR better than in other competitions, the PL introduced a worse version with the 'high bar" for ruling calls off being the main culprit. Because of VAR referees are more tolerant about fouls hoping that a grave mistake will be corrected by VAR. But the 'high bar" doesn't allow it and officiating becomes worse than without VAR.

Sigma

Reminder that VAR cannot change a referee's decision on subjective calls. VAR cannot tell Mike Dean to give the penalty. What it can and should do is tell him to watch a replay

Replay which will be played at live speed, too, but from multiple and better angles
The Premier League doesn't yet have screens at the side of the pitch for the referee to view the incident on.

AlwaysRed66

I don't know why they don't use technology for clear decisions like offsides & handballs on goal, & let the managers have a couple of reviews each match like in Cricket. Up to them if they want to review what they see as a poor decision.

fergiesarmy1

3 mistakes made by the referee at old Trafford, red card incident, martial penalty and James yellow, not one overturned by the var clowns so it’s pretty pointless (not sure if they can tell the clown of a ref that a yellow isn’t a yellow but I know they wouldn’t have after the previous 2 incidents)

Ref watch is on sky sports at 11.30, see how many times they spout bollocks this weekend.

fergiesarmy1

I don't think that's a penalty.
Just seen it again and he intentionally dives in front of Kane knowing he won’t get there naturally to stop a shot with the aim of impeding him which he did. Penalty for me.

Havak

Pokemon master
Some of the decisions are at least debatable in recent weeks, but there are some that IMO (and most others) were clear and obvious errors by the on-field referee. The biggest problem with VAR as a thing, that people have eluded to, is that they seem absolutely unwilling to tell the referee that he was wrong. I think if you asked 100 people, 99 would say that the foul on David Silva against Bournemouth was a penalty, thus it is clear and obvious.

We are too protective of on-field referees in this country. Surely they aren't this proud collective who want to be all powerful and all knowing? If I was a referee I would like to be assisted by my assistants when I clearly made a mistake. VAR is not doing this, so it's kind of idiotic to even use it in the first place... I am all for VAR, but you simply have to change decisions like the Silva one yesterday. IMO it wasn't even a debatable decision but the VAR is looking for any and every possible avenue to agree with what the referee said because they're scared of making the referee look incompetent on live TV.

I don't want to make it out like we were fecked over so I'd rather use examples from other games, but I think there were two challenges on United players against Palace where the obvious decision was red card. A clear goal scoring opportunity was denied. It was outside the box so if this double jeopardy rule is still in place it wouldn't come into play anyway. They were red cards, but only free kicks. Even the second one, most people are saying penalty, but the foul began outside the box IMO. Both decisions should have been free kick and red card, not penalty and yellow card.

Kostov

Just seen it again and he intentionally dives in front of Kane knowing he won’t get there naturally to stop a shot with the aim of impeding him which he did. Penalty for me.
I do feel there is a sense of intention but how much does it impact Kane actually? He stands on his legs very firmly and then goes to ground like shot? Compared to how Martial was dragged by Kane and put to ground, I think this would be a soft as feck penalty. I might be biased though.

clarkydaz

if the Kane one happened on the halfway line it would have been a foul and nobody would bat an eyelid. Being clumsy in the box isn't a let off

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
The use of VAR in Serie A for the Fiorentina-Napoli game :eek::eek:
Worse than the PL's :lol:
This is what makes me laugh. People here are quick to criticise the Premier League referees. Have they seen other leagues? The La Liga referees must be the worst in the world.

Lynty

I've changed my mind. VAR needs to go.

I thought better monitoring would result in more fair decisions/near perfect calls

Unfortunately incorrect decisions have now been made less fair with the knowledge that the VAR has multiple angles of an incident and still is unable to make correct calls or go against the referees decision.

When Nani got a red v Madrid, it was a poor decision. But you swallow it knowing that sometimes human error happens, and sometimes it goes your way, sometimes it doesn't.

If VAR was involved, suddenly the same decision would seem like a farce.

For this to work, they need to make the correct calls 99% of the time. 3 games into the season and I hoenslty believe I've seen more wrong decisions than right (including the obsurd handball rule)

fergiesarmy1

Did any penalty decisions get over turned this weekend, seems like a waste of time to me so far just gonna back their pals by the looks of it.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
This is what makes me laugh. People here are quick to criticise the Premier League referees. Have they seen other leagues? The La Liga referees must be the worst in the world.
Something was fishy in that game. I don't know if you looked at the highlights but seriously something isn't right there.

HNK55

Supports
Chelsea
VAR is a great addition to the game, however this clear and obvious nonsense is ruining it.

Whats the point in having video refereeing if its restricted to protect the on-field ref. Very counter effective.

The stonewall pen against Azpi on saturday wasnt given because it wasnt a clear error. Bloody ridiculous.

Last edited by a moderator:

fergiesarmy1

Well according to dermot Gallagher on ref watch it wasn’t a red for the challenge on martial and it wasn’t a penalty for the challenge on martial. Scrap it all because of they can’t get it right after 48 hours what chance have they got in 60 seconds :mad: