Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

broccoli

Supports
FCPorto
son of a bitch is closer to filho da puta than motherfecker, in fact it's the literal translation. since son of a bitch can be heavier than motherfecker, I prefer the closest translation to reflect intent

I didn't see the first part though. I'll take your word for it.
Ye just son of a bitch doesn't sound as offensive as filho da puta which is quite heavy here. Even typing it feels bad, it's not a word i even use!

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Why should he mark him when Lindelöf is the centre back and standing next to him? Your fullbacks never ever mark a striker from a cross it’s just stupid to even suggest it. Would evra mark somebody for vidic? Not a chance.

lindelof has 1 job there to mark the man and stop him scoring, instead he’s playing zonal like it’s a free kick. Useless.
Lindelof was not standing next to him AWB was, who was supposed to be marking him in that phase of play.

criticalanalysis

Another example of what we’ve all been complaining about all season. He doesn’t want to tackle. He should have put the ball out for a throw or at least fouled him and let the team get back into position. Instead he just stands there like a shepherd and the guy can do what he likes, zero pressure.

both of those goals sum exactly why he should be nowhere near the first team.
Before the ball even got into that 1-on-1 with Lindelof, I just sighed because I knew the fecking outcome. Lindelof would just zonally cover and do jack shit.

He showed more fight in that spat with Bruno that he has almost his entire career here.

A-man

Put some respect on Evans name please
Everybody who watched the Leicester match knows the difference between the two. It’s spelled “Champions league”. One was man of the match and the other cost their team the CL.

izec

I would argue basic defending is not letting a player who you are right next to run off you in your own box
Basic defending is not tracking a winger/fullback as a fullback. It doesnt matter if De Jong is next to him, when he expects Lindelöf to take him and he expected him to clear it. He didnt track De Jong until the end, because it wasn't his job to do so in the first place. He trusted his CB to do it, he was fully aware of it and better positioned. Lindelöf only needed to drop back a bit instead of being in no mans land. Lindelöf was far better positioned.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Lindelof was not standing next to him AWB was, who was supposed to be marking him in that phase of play.
:lol: are you being obtuse on purpose? AWB is behind him, Lindelöf infront. Lindelof has nobody infront of him apart from maguire and nobody else in the box.

mark the man and he doesn’t score. Why is he letting the striker get between him and AWB in the first place? Get hold of him and take charge.

no matter what you say you cannot swing this :lol: lindelof has cost us get again.

pascell

You see Maguire more out of position and you know you have a spare player behind you in AWB. What do you do? Do you cover and mark the striker, leaving AWB with nothing to do, or do you shift across?
I'm saying it as if we shouldn't have got into that situation in the first place, as you'd like to think we'd observe and learn from that horrendous phase of defending.

You'd also 110% mark the striker if you're a CB and expect AWB is doing the same if he isn't marking their winger. Where would our CBs be shifting across to and why? Is there another striker in the box? Nope, so they shouldn't be shifting away from the only one in our box.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Both times Lindelof glanced around he saw AWB covering De Jong so (rightfully) thought that AWB would continue doing so. He doesn't have eyes in the back of his head to let him know that AWB just stops.

Lindelof still should have done a better job trying to cut out that cross, but that was his priority. Cutting out the cross, not covering the man who was already being marked by somebody else.
Eh.....the forward is goal side of AWB, rightly so. Lindelof needed to drop in five yards, he’s absolutely shocking at defending these situations.

Yagami

Good post resistant
He's cost us so many times out of pure cowardice and still has defenders. It beggars belief.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
You are correct. As a CB thats basic defending and Lindelof didnt want to do it
Its basic defending for any defender. Lindelöf didnt mark his man he is at fault for that. AWB had his man and let him just walk off in the box thats criminal. Im sorry but its unaaceptable to do that. Maguire and Lindelof positioning was off in that case AWB should have covered.

I would happily sell everyone in the back 5 including the keeper

Adam-Utd

Before the ball even got into that 1-on-1 with Lindelof, I just sighed because I knew the fecking outcome. Lindelof would just zonally cover and do jack shit.

He showed more fight in that spat with Bruno that he has almost his entire career here.
Yep, sign of a guilty man that was! I have no doubts ole will be giving him the hair dryer.

Cassidy

Basic defending is not tracking a winger/fullback as a fullback. It doesnt matter if De Jong is next to him, when he expects Lindelöf to take him and he expected him to clear it. He didnt track De Jong until the end, because it wasn't his job to do so in the first place. He trusted his CB to do it, he was fully aware of it and better positioned. Lindelöf only needed to drop back a bit instead of being in no mans land. Lindelöf was far better positioned.
Why should he expect Lindelof to take a player right next to him in that situation when a cross is about to come in? You are making excuses for AWB it was terrible defending from him period.

Ekeke

Its basic defending for any defender. Lindelöf didnt mark his man he is at fault for that. AWB had his man and let him just walk off in the box thats criminal. Im sorry but its unaaceptable to do that. Maguire and Lindelof positioning was off in that case AWB should have covered.

He didnt just let him walk off, he saw that Lindelof was a CB in the middle of his own box and Lindelof looked twice at the player so he was completely aware of him. Its absolutely basic defending to pass a striker on to the CB because thats their job.

Ekeke

Why should he expect Lindelof to take a player right next to him in that situation when a cross is about to come in? You are making excuses for AWB it was terrible defending from him period.
Because he's a CB and its his job to defend the box from a striker, especially when its the only player in there :lol::lol::lol:

If that isnt his job description then what is it?

Copa Mundial

Are you agreeing or disagreeing with me? AWB was marking the man, he needs to continue marking the man.
100% this. As a FB myself I would be embarrassed to let any player run off my shoulder like that. AWB simply switched off imo.

Cassidy

He didnt just let him walk off, he saw that Lindelof was a CB in the middle of his own box and Lindelof looked twice at the player so he was completely aware of him. Its absolutely basic defending to pass a striker on to the CB because thats their job.
When the striker is behind the CB and you have no other player around you. Im afraid no he made a mistake. You dont leave the player until he has actually been passed on

Berbaclass

:lol: are you being obtuse on purpose? AWB is behind him, Lindelöf infront. Lindelof has nobody infront of him apart from maguire and nobody else in the box.

mark the man and he doesn’t score. Why is he letting the striker get between him and AWB in the first place? Get hold of him and take charge.

no matter what you say you cannot swing this :lol: lindelof has cost us get again.

AWB is flat-footed and lets him go.

Adam-Utd

Because he’s the centre back marking the fecking striker. How hard is that to understand?
If de Jong hung at the back post then yes you’d expect AWB to deal with it, but it was slap bang in the centre of the goal.

Cassidy

Because he's a CB and its his job to defend the box from a striker, especially when its the only player in there :lol::lol::lol:

If that isnt his job description then what is it?
In football you dont expect you communicate. Ive played in defence you dont expect

Ekeke

When the striker is behind the CB and you have no other player around you. Im afraid no he made a mistake. You dont leave the player until he has actually been passed on
He was passed on. Unfortunately Lindelof passed on doing his job

makes new threads with tweets in the OP

Yeah.

For defenders the key is to assume the worst case scenario and act accordingly.

The CAF laughs at David Luiz because he often sacrifices his position and gets done by through balls. However, he does that because he assumes Arsenal will win the ball and he wants to be on the front foot for the turnover. It's the wrong mentality for a defender.

For an attacker you want them to assume everything will go well. You want them to be on the run if the pass makes it, or coming near post if the cross beats the man. You don't want them stood still assuming the ball wouldn't come.

Defenders have to do the opposite: they have to assume everything will go wrong. We won't stop the cross, the guy behind me will beat his marker, I have to deal with this or else they will score.

Our defenders too often don't behave like that. They don't act like they realise the danger around them and that they have got to do something about it. Lindelof is the worst offender for this too.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Probably fair to say his biggest 'failing' is just not being up to the job. There's always a mistake in him in high stakes games and you're more surprised when it doesn't happen than when it does, which is not good when thinking of a team with aspirations of playing top-end CL games and progressing to PL challengers over the next few league campaigns.

I'd sell him and keep Smalling as the bench option in an ideal world with a top class CB taking the starting spot.

Adam-Utd

AWB is flat-footed and lets him go.
Proving my own point. Nobody else in the box and he’s defending thin air.

what else do you expect him to be doing if not marking his direct opponent? it’s insane the excuses you make for him.

A centre back should never be letting a fullback do the job for him.

Cassidy

what else do you expect him to be doing if not marking his direct opponent? it’s insane the excuses you make for him.

Its happens in games its called covering. They are both at fault

Berbaclass

Because as the cross comes in AWB clearly is tracking De Jong but lets him go.

Jibbs

I have been saying it for a while we need 2 CBs. Bailly needs to be sold, Lindelof demoted to second choice and then we also need a left footed defender. Get Upamecano and Badiashile both ( ideally Upamecano and Torres)

Status
Not open for further replies.