Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Take away the winning goal and he was actually excellent tonight, not that that means much now
Agreed.

I don’t blame him at all. AWB should have taken the responsibility on board.

Also we should never have been in that position. MMM let the team down big time

Ekeke

So he was right to just stand there and let him stroll onto the cross?
He was wrong to expect his CB who had looked twice at the player, and was standing in the middle of the goal, where the ball was crossed in, to actually do his job and defend?

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
I'm convinced people would still be in here moaning if we'd have won tonight really :lol:

He was very good aside from being out of position for the goal.

broccoli

Supports
FCPorto
Pretty sure he told Bruno to "go take it in the arse you motherfecker" in Portuguese

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Yeah, it didn't look like it. You can see Lindelof look to check that AWB is marking De Jong so he can try and deal with the cross and it was just a good cross/he misjudged it.
Your CB has to be picking up the 6ft plus striker there. He has to take charge.

Imagine if the ball is in the air and AWB is marking him properly, who would be favourite? AWB is an idiot for just letting him go like that, but Lindelof HAS to take charge of the scenario

The Hilton

You dont mark a player in the middle of the goal as a right back. You mark a player until they are in position for your CBs to do their job.
Nah totally disagree, the right back doesn't have to stop defending when a striker wanders to a more central position.

I'm not saying Lindelof did well for the goal, but to absolve AWB of blame is now in my opinion.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
@sammsky1 @Ekeke they are both at fault. Lindelof should deal with it. However, AWB can see he's switched off and should react and bail Lindelof out.

Tiber

I'm convinced people would still be in here moaning if we'd have won tonight really :lol:

He was very good aside from being out of position for the goal.
He was good aside from costing us the game isn't an ideal write up.

He had a lot of nerve mouthing off to Bruno after the goal

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
He was wrong to expect his CB who had looked twice at the player, and was standing in the middle of the goal, where the ball was crossed in, to actually do his job and defend?
AWB could clearly see that Lindelof had turned his back to deal with the cross. Lindelof looked twice and both times AWB was picking up the man. AWB is at fault for letting him go free.

pascell

It wasn't a case of AWB putting his body on the line. It's a case of AWB simply continuing to mark the player. In what world do you just leave the player to mark nothing? You talk to your teammate if you're going to abandon your only responsibility. At the very least the other 3 players were trying to do something. It wasn't the first time he switched off either. 3 times I counted, twice costing us a goal.
Williams is trying to block the cross, what are Maguire and Lindelof doing? Sevilla have one striker on the pitch, so who are they marking? All four were horrendous tonight. Losing 3 semis out of 3 doesn't look good.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
He failed to do that though. Was marking De Jong, and then suddenly stopped without any explanation.

Neither did well, but if you're marking someone you have to stay with them in that situation.
Because there is an expectation that the two people in front of the ball, the keeper and Lindelof would take care of it. If you've played football, you know. You can't defend from behind a player, you can only defend in front of the ball.

What you gonna do if you are following behind? Foul and give a penalty? Get out of position and the ball falls to a winger and concede?

Yagami

Good post resistant
Amazes me how any United fans can like and defend him. One of the worst CBs we've ever had.

Ekeke

Its amazing the mental gymnastics the Lindelovers in this thread will go to. Now they've decided Lindelof has pioneered a new position where you play in the middle of your own goal, but you dont need to defend. As long as you look decent on the ball you had a great game. Madness

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Nah totally disagree, the right back doesn't have to stop defending when a striker wanders to a more central position.

I'm not saying Lindelof did well for the goal, but to absolve AWB of blame is now in my opinion.
Expecting zonal marking to work when under such dynamic fluid pressure is absurd!

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
Both Lindelof and AWB were equally responsible. Not sure why Lindelof is getting the stick

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
What absolute and utter rubbish, covering the space left my Maguire? It all happened quickly and they were all at fault, but why on earth would he need to cover the enormous space between him and Maguire when he is at the far post and there is only one player within 20yards of him?
Think Maguire the only one getting stick not deserved, he is covering Williams in case the person on the ball goes past him. AWB got caught the wrong side and by the time the cross was put in all h ecould do was put the attacker off, he couldnt win it from the position he was in, so that wasnt good, but Lindelof looked over his shoulder twice, sure he saw there was only one player anywhere near him and he just went and covered the post and paid no attention to the one player whatsoever. His positioning and brain when it comes to defending crosses, corners, thorugh balls and flick ons has let him down many times sinc ehe has been here, shame as he was actually having a very good game up until that point
Because players move. De Jong makes a blind side run and he's got acres of space to move into because Maguire was a good 4/5 yards outside to where he needs to be. AWB didn't get caught wrong side, he literally left the player he was marking, and I mean, he literally walked away. It wasn't a run, it wasn't a bit of clever movement, he was just left alone to do what exactly? He had nothing else he could possibly do.

Maguire is not covering Williams. If Williams gets beat then Maguire steps out, or, more likely, the CMs come across to cover. Because Maguire is out of position Lindelof steps forward and then AWB covers Lindelof. That's what defenders do. If one player gets caught out you shift across to cover. You get taught that in the u10s. Lindelof could have been more side on but honestly, he should be taking marginal blame.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
This is a witch hunt. AWB could have covered his man or just given Lindelof a shout and it's not a goal, but does neither.
The whole point is the striker in the penalty box ISNT AWBs man. it’s Lindelöfs responsibility.

AWB went tight to him like every full back will do, and then expected Lindelöf to get tight to him. What does he do? Just stand there and watch the ball. If he even made the slightest attempt to block him it’s no goal. He can’t defend crosses properly at all.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
I don't need to :lol:

Maybe you do.

It's literally impossible that he gets anywhere near the cross,. His positioning is at fault there, just like Maguire.
Last time I checked, positioning is actually about putting or moving yourself into space, yeah?

He pulls his head in also.

Yagami

Good post resistant
I'm still genuinely amazed there were people that didn't see a problem with De Gea a keeper who doesnt come for crosses, Lindelof who isnt good with the ball in the air and Wan Bissaka where balls in the air are his problem too.

I know we didn't pay for it that often this season but that doesnt mean it isnt a weak point. And eventually a team would make us pay when we defended poorly. Because that didnt happen much over the course of the season, we got away with it plenty of times.
I've said the same, too, mate.

We can't just have Maguire and Shaw - who both play on the same side - as our only players capable of defending aerial balls. It's a recipe for disaster.

Ace of Spades

He is just not good enough. And something needs to change.

DDG gives no help to his CBs in crosses as he is glued to his line, so you better make sure that both your CBs are very good in the air.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
So he was right to just stand there and let him stroll onto the cross?
Yes because Lindelöf should have marked him and he didn’t, how is that difficult to understand? Would you want williams marking the striker if the cross came from the other side? Of course not.

UnitedChampionsAgain

He's played a part in too many balls-ups at the back. Time to go. I don't see the opposition making it easy for us but we continue to give away stupid goals. Win nothing with players of that level.

izec

De Jong did what every striker does nowadays, go between the CB and fullback, rather than the two CBs. It is not a big issue if your defenders communicate, which ours didn't do. Both knew very well where De Jong was, but neither picked him up. Lindelöf is the man to take him though, because it is at the end of the day his area of the pitch and he is the CB. If AWB told him he would take him, fair enough, but he didn't. Neither did Lindelöf tell him he should take him.

At the end of the day, Lindelöf has to take that ball. He doesn't, he wanders around and ball watches, as usual. His fans will always defend him, but at the end of the day, every professional knows that Lindelöf has to take charge these in these circumstances. Bruno was rightly at him, because he is the main culprit. He knows it too. But his fans will always blame others.

Ekeke

@sammsky1 @Ekeke they are both at fault. Lindelof should deal with it. However, AWB can see he's switched off and should react and bail Lindelof out.
He can only see that after the ball has gone past Lindelof bizarrely. Until that point theres no reason to think that his CB, who looked at the player twice, is going to pretend he hasnt seen a striker in the box and do nothing.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Got a right bollocking off Fernandes for that second goal and rightly so, completely unacceptable to switch off like that in a semi. In all honesty, I think anyone who thinks he's as good as Maguire is living in dream land.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Williams is trying to block the cross, what are Maguire and Lindelof doing? Sevilla have one striker on the pitch, so who are they marking? All four were horrendous tonight. Losing 3 semis out of 3 doesn't look good.
You see Maguire more out of position and you know you have a spare player behind you in AWB. What do you do? Do you cover and mark the striker, leaving AWB with nothing to do, or do you shift across?

criticalanalysis

Glad most if not all are criticising this piss poor average defender.

However, I'm surprised there isn't more highlight his 'defending' on the first goal? I'm not a fan (clearly) of Lindelfo and I would say the second goal is more 'on' AWB but the first is just absolutely typical of him. Covering without doing anything.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
De Jong did what every striker does nowadays, go between the CB and fullback, rather than the two CBs. It is not a big issue if your defenders communicate, which ours didn't do. Both knew very well where De Jong was, but neither picked him up. Lindelöf is the man to take him though, because it is at the end of the day his area of the pitch and he is the CB. If AWB told him he would take him, fair enough, but he didn't. Neither did Lindelöf tell him he should take him.

At the end of the day, Lindelöf has to take that ball. He doesn't, he wanders around and ball watches, as usual. His fans will always defend him, but at the end of the day, every professional knows that Lindelöf has to take charge these in these circumstances.
Lindelof should have done better. I agree should have taken control. But it is not right to say that neither picked up the player. AWB has DeJong and then lets him go

Status
Not open for further replies.