Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ekeke

I'm still genuinely amazed there were people that didn't see a problem with De Gea a keeper who doesnt come for crosses, Lindelof who isnt good with the ball in the air and Wan Bissaka where balls in the air are his problem too.

I know we didn't pay for it that often this season but that doesnt mean it isnt a weak point. And eventually a team would make us pay when we defended poorly. Because that didnt happen much over the course of the season, we got away with it plenty of times.

The Hilton

Its in the middle of the goal. Its Lindelof's job unless he's marking someone else. There was nobody else to take care of, he just ball watched
I'm not saying he did well, but him and AWB both made a mess of it - if AWB didn't leave his man, it isn't a goal, so for me he takes the most of the blame.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
I'm still genuinely amazed there were people that didn't see a problem with De Gea a keeper who doesnt come for crosses, Lindelof who isnt good with the ball in the air and Wan Bissaka where balls in the air are his problem too.

I know we didn't pay for it that often this season but that doesnt mean it isnt a weak point. And eventually a team would make us pay when we defended poorly. Because that didnt happen much over the course of the season, we got away with it plenty of times.
Pretty much but you missed Maguire

pascell

It's all on AWB. Maguire is well beyond his near post so Lindelof moves forward to cover the enormous space. So AWB needs to tuck in and mark the player. He does that, then inexplicably leaves him for what? What was AWB going to do?
How can you say Williams,Maguire and Lindelof aren't to blame? Williams shouldn't let the cross come in, then where the f*ck is Maguire going and who is he marking? His positioning there is diabolical, Lindelof is exactly the same, the pair have no awareness either of where the danger is. Then AWB should've been putting his body on the line to save all of Williams, Maguire and Lindelof asses. Piss poor defending and that's £160m worth of defenders right there.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
I just checked the replay of the goal and think you’re right. There was no chance he could have reached that ball.
It was just a good cross that caught him and Maguire out. AWB had the benefit to see that Lindelof couldn't see De Jong and does nothing.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP

We actually paid for it a lot. We conceded a stupid amount of goals from corners cos we can't deal with high balls. Games like Southampton at home, we are done by a high ball. It's not good enough.

Ekeke

I'm not saying he did well, but him and AWB both made a mess of it - if AWB didn't leave his man, it isn't a goal, so for me he takes the most of the blame.
That only comes into play if both your CBs miss the ball, so sure it was possible for him to make up for the CBs mistakes but its not his job in the first place. This is exactly why we have CBs...

The Hilton

Run away? He is the right back. He covers behind him if there's a stray guy running behind. In the middle, the Centre backs have to cover or cut the lanes. He was always behind him because that's where he's supposed to be.
He failed to do that though. Was marking De Jong, and then suddenly stopped without any explanation.

Neither did well, but if you're marking someone you have to stay with them in that situation.

Ekeke

We actually paid for it a lot. We conceded a stupid amount of goals from corners cos we can't deal with high balls. Games like Southampton at home, we are done by a high ball. It's not good enough.
Oh true, I meant there were a whole bunch of times where our defending was a bit comical in open play and it didnt end in a goal so people pretended it didnt happen

A-man

Let's not blame the attack and forget embarrassing defending from this guy.
How do you mean?
He is of course partly to blame for the goal, but anybody who watched the game understands we lost because of the inability to score goals. Should have been at least 2-3 more goals scored out of so many chances.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Good game but turned into shambolic because no point having good game for 80 minute but made obvious basic mistake and cost you the game, as a defender it's important to be full on the whole game. Today is one of the example to tell you why people & including me want him to be upgraded. The guy doesn't have the basic of good defender. Unable to sense the danger & often lose concentration. The first time happened? No, it happens too often with Lindelof.

Bissaka was to blamed as well not to follow his man but the main culprit has to be Lindelof. He's marking no one and he has zero reason not to go to the ball and clear the ball, that was his area to deal with the ball comes in and he failed to sense the danger and lost concentration.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
How can you say Williams,Maguire and Lindelof aren't to blame? Williams shouldn't let the cross come in, then where the f*ck is Maguire going and who is he marking? His positioning there is diabolical, Lindelof is exactly the same, the pair have no awareness either of where the danger is. Then AWB should've been putting his body on the line to save all of Williams, Maguire and Lindelof asses. Piss poor defending and that's £160m worth of defenders right there.
Agree. Our defence was diabolical for both goals. Both times we outnumbered Sevilla and both times a Sevilla player scored cos our defenders let the ball run across, having not an f'n clue there was an attacker running in.

jesperjaap

It's all on AWB. Maguire is well beyond his near post so Lindelof moves forward to cover the enormous space. So AWB needs to tuck in and mark the player. He does that, then inexplicably leaves him for what? What was AWB going to do?
What absolute and utter rubbish, covering the space left my Maguire? It all happened quickly and they were all at fault, but why on earth would he need to cover the enormous space between him and Maguire when he is at the far post and there is only one player within 20yards of him?
Think Maguire the only one getting stick not deserved, he is covering Williams in case the person on the ball goes past him. AWB got caught the wrong side and by the time the cross was put in all h ecould do was put the attacker off, he couldnt win it from the position he was in, so that wasnt good, but Lindelof looked over his shoulder twice, sure he saw there was only one player anywhere near him and he just went and covered the post and paid no attention to the one player whatsoever. His positioning and brain when it comes to defending crosses, corners, thorugh balls and flick ons has let him down many times sinc ehe has been here, shame as he was actually having a very good game up until that point

JoaquinJoaquin

That my friends, is why Lindelof just isn't a very good cb. Even Smalling would of prevented that. Needs upgraded pronto or same thing will happen next season.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
AWB just went straight to sleep. I very much doubt Lindelof even got a shout.
Yeah, it didn't look like it. You can see Lindelof look to check that AWB is marking De Jong so he can try and deal with the cross and it was just a good cross/he misjudged it.

Ekeke

If you're defending Lindelof in this sorry excuse for defending, then you have no idea what defending is.

The Hilton

That only comes into play if both your CBs miss the ball, so sure it was possible for him to make up for the CBs mistakes but its not his job in the first place. This is exactly why we have CBs...
Except he was marking the player, so it most definitely was his job to continue marking the player - watching the replays he just stops being interested when they enter the area, it really was awful.

I'm saying this as a big fan of AWB, but he made a right mess of things. Lindelof was rubbish for the goal too, but I put more blame on the man marking the goalscorer.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
How do you mean?
He is of course partly to blame for the goal, but anybody who watched the game understands we lost because of the inability to score goals. Should have been at least 2-3 more goals scored out of so many chances.
Does it absolves Lindelof of the blame? Do you think its okay to have him defend like this if we scored let's say 4? If the answer is yes then you may need to have a word with yourself.

SAFMUTD

Really starting to lose my patience with him, as some have said before he plays great for 89 minutes but that one minute left he makes a stupid concentration mistake that makes everything go to shit.

Raven

Yeah, it didn't look like it. You can see Lindelof look to check that AWB is marking De Jong so he can try and deal with the cross and it was just a good cross/he misjudged it.
This is a witch hunt. AWB could have covered his man or just given Lindelof a shout and it's not a goal, but does neither.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
It wasn't a case of AWB putting his body on the line. It's a case of AWB simply continuing to mark the player. In what world do you just leave the player to mark nothing? You talk to your teammate if you're going to abandon your only responsibility. At the very least the other 3 players were trying to do something. It wasn't the first time he switched off either. 3 times I counted, twice costing us a goal.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Take away the winning goal and he was actually excellent tonight, not that that means much now

Ekeke

Except he was marking the player, so it most definitely was his job to continue marking the player - watching the replays he just stops being interested when they enter the area, it really was awful.

I'm saying this as a big fan of AWB, but he made a right mess of things. Lindelof was rubbish for the goal too, but I put more blame on the man marking the goalscorer.
You dont mark a player in the middle of the goal as a right back. You mark a player until they are in position for your CBs to do their job.

Lentwood

I think he’s been really harshly treated tonight.

AWB can see the play unfolding and knows the forward is coming in on Lindelöf’s blind-side.There’s no other player in the picture so why AWB doesn’t just go back in i’ll never know

Status
Not open for further replies.