Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ban

Yeah, had a good game defensively which is why Ekeke isn't spamming the thread with stats and instead is trying to blame the goal on him and is making fun of a misplaced pass.
He's a Smalling fanboi isn't he?

JustAGuest

Yeah, had a good game defensively which is why Ekeke isn't spamming the thread with stats and instead is trying to blame the goal on him and is making fun of a misplaced pass.
He is the predetermined scapegoat now. Not to mention their preferred replacement ended up costing us the game with an individual error. This is a strange one to single him out for.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
It's ok, he's only learnt to defend 4 years ago. Impressive for someone who has learnt how to play the game so recently. Maybe he'll be up to snuff 10 years from now.
He says in a game where he did absolutely nothing wrong defensively. Thanks for the contribution.

ivaldo

Considering we moved on a solid defender to keep this ball playing cb, he's terrible on the ball. Way too slow and always happy to take the easy way out. Sooner our full backs are fit and Tuanzebe can take his spot the better.
I mean, did you not see their goal today? :lol:

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
He says in a game where he did absolutely nothing wrong defensively. Thanks for the contribution.
He is shite and scared. Defers to the player next to him. Can't control, not strong enough, lacks defensive nous.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Decent game but that's about all he ever is at best, decent. He's just alright, not terrible and not good. No better than either Smalling or Jones, he just isn't given the stick that they are.

He also continues to not be good on the ball, he never has been. Where has this idea come from? It's nothing other than seeing how shit he is in the air and just assuming he must be a ball player to compensate for that. Completely ignoring the fact that no, he average on the ball too. Daley Blind is a ball playing defender, someone who is actually good on the ball and can pick a pass. There are others out there too, Lindelof isn't one of them though. Decidedly average.

ivaldo

He is shite and scared. Defers to the player next to him. Can't control, not strong enough, lacks defensive nous.
All brilliantly vague criticisms you can't qualify from today's game. Perhaps we could criticise his spirit, honestly on the pitch, and his honour too. Defensively, he and Maguire were excellent today. Despite the usual claims earlier that Aubameyang was going to tear him a new one.

A-man

He is the predetermined scapegoat now. Not to mention their preferred replacement ended up costing us the game with an individual error. This is a stränge one to single him out for.
It’s a bit strange because he was pretty good today. All papers I have read give him 6-7 rating. He also saved a goal when he blocked the shot from Saka with his knee.

Dont understand where you get this from. Didnt see him panic even under pressure, calm and composed.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
All brilliantly vague criticisms you can't qualify from today's game. Perhaps we could criticise his spirit, honestly on the pitch, and his honour too. Defensively, he and Maguire were excellent today.
You have low standards. That Arsenal team was as bad as they come. He's no better than lower end quality. He doesn't have it for that level of play. Nice guy, maybe too nice.

A-man

Decent game but that's about all he ever is at best, decent. He's just alright, not terrible and not good. No better than either Smalling or Jones, he just isn't given the stick that they are.

He also continues to not be good on the ball, he never has been. Where has this idea come from? It's nothing other than seeing how shit he is in the air and just assuming he must be a ball player to compensate for that. Completely ignoring the fact that no, he average on the ball too. Daley Blind is a ball playing defender, someone who is actually good on the ball and can pick a pass. There are others out there too, Lindelof isn't one of them though. Decidedly average.
He is calm with the ball. Rarely clears it but plays his way out. So far no team has been succesful in applying pressure to the central defence imo. That is the kind of ball playing player he is, not the one who hits 70 yard long balls with precision.

ivaldo

You have low standards. That Arsenal team was as bad as they come. He's no better than lower end quality. He doesn't have it for that level of play. Nice guy, maybe too nice.
Nice strawman. He did nothing wrong defensively today but it's alright for you to criticise his defensive performance because the opposition was poor? Doesn't make a lot of sense does it?

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
Nice strawman. He did nothing wrong defensively today but it's alright for you to criticise his defensive performance because the opposition was poor? Doesn't make a lot of sense does it?
What strawman man? What are you defending a sub-par defender for? He's a poor player. He doesn't take responsibility, he has no aura, no outstanding qualities. Not for Manchester United. This is not a daycare centre.

ivaldo

What strawman man? What are you defending a sub-par defender for? He's a poor player. He doesn't take responsibility, he has no aura, no outstanding qualities. Not for Manchester United. This is not a daycare centre.
I literally spelled out the strawman to you. I'm sorry but I don't think it's possible to make it any simpler. He's done nothing wrong defensively but you're criticizing his defensive game today because the opposition is poor? You've decided he's had a poor game before he's played, and because, other than that horrendous pass, he's done nothing wrong, you criticize him anyway. It's a little sad. No aura now too. These unqualifable traits he lacks are really stacking up.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
He actually did nothing, you are right. Arsenal best chance in the first half came after that young Arsenal forward got the best out of him from a nothing chance and could have scored if he wasn't scared to shot properly, Lindelof was nowhere near him, he was even scared to block a shot in the end. Pretty sure it was him that made a mistake after the Arsenal goal too, or that he simply did nothing to prevent it.

He was far from a problem today, but as usually, he did nothing to be praised about, he is mostly a nothing player. Maguire does twice as much work, and far more effectively too. Just like it was the case with every partner he was paired up with. You are accusing people of blaming him for no reason when in reality he did nothing today, and oretty much every goal we conceeded this year involved him somehow.

Slevs

likes to play with penises
I don't think I've ever seen a more "confidence" CB. Can go into one game looking like a world beater and then shell-shocked the next game.

That said, nothing notably wrong tonight. People should stop expecting Xavi playing in CB, the guy was clearly hyped as a ball playing CB but he's average at it.

tomaldinho1

He was fine. back 5 when everyone is fit is not the issue.

That pass was woeful though but a common theme with us tonight, like Pereira's shot that nearly cleared OT or Fred's volley

ivaldo

He actually did nothing, you are right. Arsenal best chance in the first half came after that young Arsenal forward got the best out of him from a nothing chance and could have scored if he wasn't scared to shot properly, Lindelof was nowhere near him, he was even scared to block a shot in the end. Pretty sure it was him that made a mistake after the Arsenal goal too, or that he simply did nothing to prevent it.

He was far from a problem today, but as usually, he did nothing to be praised about, he is mostly a nothing player. Maguire does twice as much work, and far more effectively too. Just like it was the case with every partner he was paired up with. You are accusing people of blaming him for no reason when in reality he did nothing today, and oretty much every goal we conceeded this year involved him somehow.
I mean, I get you're trying to be witty with your opening line, but you've literally quoted what I wrote, which doesn't reflect what you wrote, so it just looks a little daft. I shouldn't be surprised you're happy to rewrite but actually happened and roll with it because it fits your agenda really.

So the best chance Arsenal got was the goal bound shot he deflected over the bar? You're really scratching around now. You're just imagining things again. It's getting sad now. Even you must see how desperate to criticise him you're coming across.

A-man

I literally spelled out the strawman to you. I'm sorry but I don't think it's possible to make it any simpler. He's done nothing wrong defensively but you're criticizing his defensive game today because the opposition is poor? You've decided he's had a poor game before he's played, and because, other than that horrendous pass, he's done nothing wrong, you criticize him anyway. It's a little sad. No aura now too. These unqualifable traits he lacks are really stacking up.
There is no point in arguing, Lindelof has got his haters and is also one of this year’s scapegoats. You can clearly see that when he clearly has a good match, also if you look at the evaluation from journalists, and yet people complain about this and that. He shuts down players with good positioning, good reading of the game and good cooperation with his team mates. Totally unsexy compared to the classic British CB but it got the job done today.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser

I don’t even rate Lindelof that highly, however this is complete rubbish

A-man

He actually did nothing, you are right. Arsenal best chance in the first half came after that young Arsenal forward got the best out of him from a nothing chance and could have scored if he wasn't scared to shot properly, Lindelof was nowhere near him, he was even scared to block a shot in the end. Pretty sure it was him that made a mistake after the Arsenal goal too, or that he simply did nothing to prevent it. .
The chance after the goal was Tuanzebe who lost position and the winger got a clear path. Lindelof blocked the shot, otherwise it would have been a goal. This can be seen at 59:30.

Ekeke

I don't think I've ever seen a more "confidence" CB. Can go into one game looking like a world beater and then shell-shocked the next game.

That said, nothing notably wrong tonight. People should stop expecting Xavi playing in CB, the guy was clearly hyped as a ball playing CB but he's average at it.
Bizarre. I guess he's never been "confidence" enough to look like a world beater

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
He wouldn't stand out playing for Southampton honestly. I really wouldn't rate him if he played there. He has a few good qualities like reading of the game and positioning himself in certain situations. The problem is that he is a confidence player. You just can't be when you're a defender. He is like Nani of defenders. Very good doing one thing, then doing that same thing hopelessly the next minute, then the next game, without the strength to bounce back. He had a bad start to the season and he haven't managed to shake that feeling after 8 games. That is very worrying.

I totally get the criticism of him because we've loaned out a defender that was clearly levels above him, and the one thing he was better at that was supposed to make a difference just isn't working out for him. I miss Smalling's ability to win the ball early and get the ball into our midfield quickly. Our whole team has to run back at the moment every time a striker holds the ball up because Lindelof can't outmuscle them or get in front. Sure he wins the ball a few times, but mostly he just retreats immediately. I think he has some potential in understanding the game but his raw talent is not there and with his weaknesses it is unlikely that hes ever going to get there.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I don't think many - if any - are criticising his defending today. In general sure, but today he defended well so should get credit for that.

I just can't wrap my head around the idea that he's good on the ball... Or even decent on the ball. In that area I continue to be massively underwhelmed.

Devil may care

Axel is gonna roll up on him like a Rolls Royce and take the starting CB spot by the end of the season.

Sylar

That moment at the end :lol: Great Smalling tribute

He did well to block that shot right after 1-1. Actually right after Arsenal scored. I thought he did a good thing in going over to Axl and trying to calm him down. Was nice to see.

edcunited1878

@GifLord .... anyway possible we can get a side by side of Smalling having to adjust his entire body for a simple pass next to Lindelof's disjointed pass from tonight? Lindelof was solid/good tonight, but that attempted pass at the end there was comedy. He was in between two passes, a short to a huge switch to the far flank and his body position plus back lift for the pass was all out of wack.

Bojan11

He wasn’t anything special.

But he really struggles when Maguire is out of the middle. Take when Torreira had a free shot. All Lindelof had to do was mark him and that shot would not have happened.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
He didn’t do bad. But his defending on Torreira’s chance was poor imo. That pass in the last minute was shocking as well. Other than those two, he didn’t do bad. Just a tidy performance.

However, I would like to mention the header during the west ham United warm up. I just can’t understand it at all, missing header like that without pressure. One of the worst centre back in heading I have seen in my life. And this statement isn’t just based on that but also based on all the games I have watched.

Suedesi

He's a garbage player, I've been saying it all along. I can't believe people gush over his performances, he's an overrated ponce.

ivaldo

Ones a kid who's played less than 10 games for us playing out of position.
So? It's besides the point when you want him to start ahead of Lindelof. Being a kid doesn't make a mistake any less costly.

Status
Not open for further replies.