Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fussmeister

What sums him up is a) the goal and b) that he was hiding 10th in the penalty queue behind the inexperienced Tuanzebe.
I was surprised when Alex stepped forward before him. No one should never ever call him ice man again

But for the goal. Shaw needs to share the blame for that. Lost the main scorer way to easy

A-man

I mean... He's been starting here for years. Why is it that he'll soon be replaced when he wasnt before? Ole clearly likes him
Ole likes him and to fair he’s been good this season but lost his form when we secured the top -4. We lost today, he could have done much better for the goal, and our attacking players should have scored some goals as well.

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
What sums him up is a) the goal and b) that he was hiding 10th in the penalty queue behind the inexperienced Tuanzebe.
yeah not commenting on his 130th defensive mistakes here but yeah incredible really. Tuanzebe having a go before him. Such a pussy, really punchable guy. Last time I hated a united player this much must have been di Maria. Useless piece of shite, get out of the club please. YOu can see him dropping to Turkey or midtable Italy after we get rid easily, yet Ole's tupid lack of judgement gives him so much gametime, although just thanks to his fitness which is his only real asset.

BarstoolProphet

I mean... He's been starting here for years. Why is it that he'll soon be replaced when he wasnt before? Ole clearly likes him
Because Maguire is nailed on starter and by all accounts we are looking for a partner for him.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Can we really blame him though? I genuinely believe he has no talent.

It's not a mentality problem. He just does not have talent as a top level footballer.
Do you not see the similarity of what happened between this one and the Sevilla last year?

He doesn't go toward the ball, he chose to be ball watching. He's too reactive, not proactive enough. If he does this very rarely, you can expect something similar won't happen too often but the issue is that he does this lot of time and it's a clear his habit. A good striker always about moving around and finding space, if defender doesn't attack the ball first then these strikers or players who are good with their movement and finding space will score. That was his area to defend and that was his ball to clear.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
Do you not see the similarity of what happened between this one and the Sevilla last year?

He doesn't go toward the ball, he chose to be ball watching. He's too reactive, not proactive enough. He does this lot of time. A good striker always about moving around and finding space, if defender doesn't attack the ball first then these strikers or players who is good with their movement and finding space will score. That was his area to defend and that was his ball to clear.
I see everything. But I've also understood quite early that you can't expect a donkey to win a horse race.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I see everything. But I've also understood quite early that you can't expect a donkey to win a horse race.
He's a Manchester United regular centre back, he is supposed to be playing like a proper one. :annoyed: We will never gonna win a trophy with him unfortunately. These strikers always lurking to find space to score goals and if we have a CB who doesn't attack the ball first then we will always conceded.

Renegade

He’ll be here longer than Stam was if he continues next season if I’m correct. 5 seasons is enough! Please replace!

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
He's a Manchester United regular centre back. :annoyed:
Yes. Which is sad. I'm not defending him. On the contrary, I am saying the exact same thing you are, just not blaming him. I can't blame a man for being unable to perform what he is genuinely and intrinsically incapable of doing.

He's just a very, very lucky dude who won the lottery and he keeps winning it despite not deserving it.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Yes. Which is sad. I'm not defending him. On the contrary, I am saying the exact same thing you are, just not blaming him. I can't blame a man for being unable to perform what he is genuinely and intrinsically incapable of doing.

He's just a very, very lucky dude who won the lottery and he keeps winning it despite not deserving it.
He is a centre back and should be attacking the ball first. That's why I keep replying to you to remind you why he is to blamed for the goal.

criticalanalysis

Remember when other posters were saying how he's a better defender than Maguire and that we're over criticising him?

Feck off. He's massively protected by an aerially, physical dominant centre back in Maguire, two combatative midfielders in McFred and then has AWB locking down the entire right flank.

His biggest contribution is being positionally sound, making routine blocks and back peddling all the way to his penalty box, letting others take on the responsibility. At his best, he's make a decent contribution in being an effective player for us. In his normal and consistent form, he's just a placeholder on the pitch. Absolute weakest link in defence for me and arguably the whole team depending on the personnel.

For someone, who's so highly rated by his fans, did he look close to being the best defender on the pitch or was a leader for us? Someone said it best, we win 10-0, he will play the same, we lose 10-0, he will still play the same. There's no stepping up or real ability other than being fit and not being shit. My faith in his 'performance' is about as much as I trust De Gea nowadays. It's almost dialling it in, 'dead behind the eyes', like water off a duck's back type of mentality.

Him taking a penalty after Tuanzebe speaks volumes.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
He is a centre back and should be attacking the ball first. That's why I keep replying to you to remind you why he is to blamed for the goal.
Yes, yes, I agree with you entirely. The ball was actually his to lose. The trajectory was in his path. He messed up.

What I'm saying is that he can't because he doesn't have the ability to do it. He just has no talent.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Remember when other posters were saying how he's a better defender than Maguire and that we're over criticising him?

Feck off. He's massively protected by an aerially, physical dominant centre back in Maguire, two combatative midfielders in McFred and then has AWB locking down the entire right flank.

His biggest contribution is being positionally sound, making routine blocks and back peddling all the way to his penalty box, letting others take on the responsibility. At his best, he's make a decent contribution in being an effective player for us. In his normal and consistent form, he's just a placeholder on the pitch. Absolute weakest link in defence for me and arguably the whole team depending on the personnel.

For someone, who's so highly rated by his fans, did he look close to being the best defender on the pitch or was a leader for us? Someone said it best, we win 10-0, he will play the same, we lose 10-0, he will still play the same. There's no stepping up or real ability other than being fit and not being shit.
Agree with you here. He's been crap since Maguire got injured and while together I think they're fine - you are free to dispute this of course - he's becoming a liability without a protector.

Some things tonight just went straight through him. Good pen though.

Last edited:

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Yes, yes, I agree with you entirely. The ball was actually his to lose. The trajectory was in his path. He messed up.

What I'm saying is that he can't because he doesn't have the ability to do it. He just has no talent.
I don't think you need talent for that.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I was surprised when Alex stepped forward before him. No one should never ever call him ice man again

But for the goal. Shaw needs to share the blame for that. Lost the main scorer way to easy
As far as I understand it, we mark zonally so Shaw shouldn't be following him I think

It's the pit falls off zonal making... The space between Bailly and Lindelöf was too big, and Lindelöf was slow to take off and so couldn't defend his zone effectively.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Can we really blame him though? I genuinely believe he has no talent.

It's not a mentality problem. He just does not have talent as a top level footballer.
His aversion to defending as a CB requires some talent

Born2Lose

The thing I really noticed tonight was the lack of conviction to move the ball forward. This guy should be playing for Arsenal not United.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
As far as I understand it, we mark zonally so Shaw shouldn't be following him I think

It's the pit falls off zonal making... The space between Bailly and Lindelöf was too big, and Lindelöf was slow to take off and so couldn't defend his zone effectively.
This was my read too.

If people want to blame Lindelof then that's fine but to be perfectly honest I could see us conceding that goal with any combination of our CBs on the pitch. It's not like it's an isolated incident, we're consistently poor on set-pieces.

TempusFugit

That one pass to Cavani was the only good thing he did during the game. Shouldn't be starting for us next season tbh, a constant 6/10 defender but not much else.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
This was my read too.

If people want to blame Lindelof then that's fine but to be perfectly honest I could see us conceding that goal with any combination of our CBs on the pitch. It's not like it's an isolated incident, we're consistently poor on set-pieces.
Yeah I'd go along with that, the only difference if Maguire was on the pitch instead was that he might have tried to take a chance and haul Moreno down.

If Jones had been on the pitch... Own goal 100%

RussellWilson

2020 NFC Fantasy League winner
How long has he been here now? 4/5 seasons? When is anyone gonna finally own up to the transfer feck up and get rid?

SaboTaj

If he can’t even track the flight of the ball, how the hell is he even going to track an opposition player. He’s clearly out of his depth at this level, just too many schoolboy errors from him.

Without getting into any more details about his performance today (and the last couple of seasons in-fact), i have zero confidence in Lindelof when he’s defending and i hope we either sell him or find a new CB to partner Maguire so that we don’t ever have to depend on him to do a job for us of any kind.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
I know emotions are high right now and I'm personally pinning tonight's result on the owners but this guy could genuinely be the worst centre-back we've had. He genuinely cannot defend. If I didn't laugh I'd cry.

Giant Midget

Aka - rooney_10119
Useless since the day he walked in to the club. The only think more shocking than his presence here is that someone like Mourinho brought him in in the first place.

criticalanalysis

Agree with you here. He's been crap since Maguire got injured and while together I think they're fine - you are free to dispute this of course - he's becoming a liability without a protector.
This is where imo you have the wrong angle on this. It's not about whether he is 'fine' when paired with Maguire, it's about whether he is actually good on his own or brings a lot to the table in that partnership. First off, why does he need a protector? Secondly, what does he do that is so astounding that he should judged so highly that we can forgive him not being without Maguire? He's been a part of our good defensive record and he's contributed no doubt but the amount of times people elevate his frankly very average performances like he's Rio to Maguire's Vidic is batshit insane.

Where's that guy that said he's very good because of our defensive record?
It's infuriating because the super fans are so blinded by their bias they will use stats and say 'Lindelof is good, therefore we don't need to upgrade on him' but then will freely lay blame on our defensive midfielders or attackers not scoring enough goals when we're literally one of the highest scoring teams in the league. Yet no one is saying 'we don't need a striker/attacker'.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
I know emotions are high right now and I'm personally pinning tonight's result on the owners but this guy could genuinely be the worst centre-back we've had. He genuinely cannot defend. If I didn't laugh I'd cry.
He is. No questions about it.

Weak, passive, aerially worse than a puppy. Never confident with him in the lineup.

el3mel

I like him, but my God watching the goal again, his defending in it was fecking atrocious. Gerard completely dominated him.

I still think he's overall a very good defender though, but this moment was fecking crap.

Status
Not open for further replies.