Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Has had more than enough chances. He could be an OK sub for a top team but I think he's shown beyond doubt he's not a first 11 player for a team looking to challenge for the big trophies.

Fussmeister

As far as I understand it, we mark zonally so Shaw shouldn't be following him I think

It's the pit falls off zonal making... The space between Bailly and Lindelöf was too big, and Lindelöf was slow to take off and so couldn't defend his zone effectively.
Yeah you might be right. We need to work on defending set pieces. And we also need to replace Vic. We cant have a CB other teams know is a weak link, gonna be targeted even more next season.

BlackBen

His face should be next to the definition of pussy in the dictionary. Every game he gets bullied by a striker and they mostly end up scoring.

He’s poor in the air, a pushover and very mentally weak. We need to get rid ASAP.

Sylar

I can't believe how weak he was for their goal, he seemed more interested in getting a touch to claim a foul then just powering to defend.

SuperiorXI

He is one of the most obvious weak links in football, he doesn't belong here unless our ambitions end at being a top 4 club. He has simply got to go.

Craig Ward

He is one of the most obvious weak links in football, he doesn't belong here unless our ambitions end at being a top 4 club. He has simply got to go.
If other teams improve, we will struggle for top 4 without upgrading this clown. Awful player

A-man

Lindelof hit an amazing long ball for Rashford against Villareal.
Would it be possible to find a clip for that, at 106:28 @GifLord

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Pathetic. No urgency in a game we needed to win.

But that stems from the manager, not the players.
So why Maguire plays more progressive than him then?

There is a reason why Maguire progressive carry attempt is much higher than Lindelof.

criticalanalysis

There is a reason why Maguire progressive carry attempt is much higher than Lindelof.
I remember your systematic breaking down of the stats to essentially prove (not that it needs to) Maguire is a far more progressive passer than Lindelof yet the response was 'nah actually your stats don't tell the full story, I think they are both of equal quality'. You should post it here again.

Cue them posting in other threads 'Goals Conceded' stat to try to elevate Lindelof as one of the sole credits for our defensive record this season :lol:

You couldn't make up this hyprocrisy and bias.

shahzy

You shouldn't need players to be mentally be on it at time of purchase. Most players won't have that mentality. Most will need that to be coached into them.

Just watch sir Alex interviews and pep Guardiola's with Rio just done a day or two ago. There's different levels to this stuff and it's none more evident

mu4c_20le

You shouldn't need players to be mentally be on it at time of purchase. Most players won't have that mentality. Most will need that to be coached into them.

Just watch sir Alex interviews and pep Guardiola's with Rio just done a day or two ago. There's different levels to this stuff and it's none more evident
So why is Dias rock solid on the first season?

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag

You really think Ole who has played with Keane (who always tell people to play forward) for years don’t coach his players to be progressive? If anything, our style under Ole is about less possession and play progressive.

You are making it sounds easy but not every player can be coached to develop something, they might just born or already being coached in their young age to play safe result in their incapability to develop such a mentality to play progressive.

Maguire was coached by our coaches and able to develop it better than Lindelof. Thus, Maguire progressive carry attempt is much higher than Lindelof.

Siezard

What sums him up is a) the goal and b) that he was hiding 10th in the penalty queue behind the inexperienced Tuanzebe.
I am pretty sure it was Ole or the coaches who wrote down the order on who will take the penalties first. Tuanzebe, being a sub, was more fresh and so was selected ahead.

As for the goal, Lindelof already tried to pull the shirt off Gerard. If he pulled the shirt any further, the striker would just fall and this will result in a VAR penalty which you will still blame him for. I think the other defenders are more to be blamed for disappearing during the cross.

shahzy

So why is Dias rock solid on the first season?
Like Bruno has better mentality than the rest of the Utd squad. For some it's innate. For others it needs to be coached in. Either way, it's the coach's job. If the team doesn't become like that it's down to the coach

A-man

You really think Ole who has played with Keane (who always tell people to play forward) for years don’t coach his players to be progressive? If anything, our style under Ole is about less possession and play progressive.

You are making it sounds easy but not every player can be coached to develop something, they might just born or already being coached in their young age to play safe result in their incapability to develop such a mentality to play progressive.

Maguire was coached by our coaches and able to develop it better than Lindelof. Thus, Maguire progressive carry attempt is much higher than Lindelof.
Facts are that both Lindelof and Maguire are decent at carrying the ball forward and that both have decent numbers in the stats. Maguire have some more attempts but looking at succesful distance it is similar.

Stats per 90 minutes from PL this season:

Progressive passing distance
Lindelof 368 meters
Maguire 365 meters
Progressive carrying distance
Lindelof 176 meters
Maguire 192 meters

decent but could improve

Eugenius

I am pretty sure it was Ole or the coaches who wrote down the order on who will take the penalties first. Tuanzebe, being a sub, was more fresh and so was selected ahead.

As for the goal, Lindelof already tried to pull the shirt off Gerard. If he pulled the shirt any further, the striker would just fall and this will result in a VAR penalty which you will still blame him for. I think the other defenders are more to be blamed for disappearing during the cross.
You're clutching at straws if you think he was behind Tuanzebe because he had fresher legs. It's well known players volunteer themselves and/or refuse take penalties.

The goal came because he was too complacent in the zonal system and basically tracking back into the box in autopilot - neither trying to read the flight of the ball and attack it, or trying to look and react/block anyone running across him. It's not a surprise though - if one of our CB clears a set piece it's 90 percent Maguire, 10 percent Lindelof.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Lindelof isn’t a first team player. End of discussion.
He is that’s the sad thing. :(

the video above is Lindelof in a nutshell. He’s knows he’s a better passer than Bailly yet the 2 of them keep deferring to the other repeatedly. It’s infuriating and cowardly

golden_blunder

Staff
Facts are that both Lindelof and Maguire are decent at carrying the ball forward and that both have decent numbers in the stats. Maguire have some more attempts but looking at succesful distance it is similar.

Stats per 90 minutes from PL this season:

Progressive passing distance
Lindelof 368 meters
Maguire 365 meters
Progressive carrying distance
Lindelof 176 meters
Maguire 192 meters

decent but could improve
Improve elsewhere. He’s had too many years here of people making excuses for him

Pickle85

Improve elsewhere. He’s had too many years here of people making excuses for him
Fine as a third or fourth choice CB but nowhere close to good enough for a team with title winning aspirations. Weak, easily bullied, not the quickest and his ability on the ball is vastly overestimated. Such a nothing player.

golden_blunder

Staff
Fine as a third or fourth choice CB but nowhere close to good enough for a team with title winning aspirations. Weak, easily bullied, not the quickest and his ability on the ball is vastly overestimated. Such a nothing player.
Fine as backup cb. Don’t need to see his passive defence every week. But he won’t improve himself that way.

Pickle85

I was taking about Harry as well as they are, as shown, identically good at progressing with the ball.
Of all the players to choose to defend and talk up to the level you do in this thread, Lindelof is such an odd choice.

golden_blunder

Staff
I was taking about Harry as well as they are, as shown, identically good at progressing with the ball.
Whoopy do. I’m not worried about that. Besides that clip above shows everything we need to know about Lindelof.
I’m more worried about his defensive prowess which is very weak. Playing some good passes now and again when nobody is near you is one thing but not being able to defend basically is why he’s not good enough and never will be.

Pickle85

I don’t mean this in a bad way but he’s also Swedish so I get it. I used to defend Evans because of where I’m from.
Ah didn't realise that, makes more sense. Nothing wrong with backing one of your own! It's not like I think he's terrible, he's just the footballing equivalent of magnolia. Inoffensive but rather bland.

A-man

Whoopy do. I’m not worried about that. Besides that clip above shows everything we need to know about Lindelof.
I’m more worried about his defensive prowess which is very weak. Playing some good passes now and again when nobody is near you is one thing but not being able to defend basically is why he’s not good enough and never will be.
The fact that you evaluate a player after a clip like that, and think it ”shows everything we need to know about Lindelof” tells us everything we need to know about you, your level of knowldege and how you evaluate players. The clip is just before the 90 minutes, and that’s how it often looks at that point.

A-man

Of all the players to choose to defend and talk up to the level you do in this thread, Lindelof is such an odd choice.
People are disappointed after we lost the final. If you look over the season he’s been good. That’s my standpoint. I have always said Maguire is our best CB but Lindelof is clearly better than what he is made out to now after the final. Most members of the cafe also believe he had a good season according to the ratings he has got, where Shaw is the only defender with higher ratings.
If it’s strange to you that someone at a United fan forum likes a United player, isn’t it more strange that these 2-3 guys pollute every thread with Lindelof hate? Even make the trouble to post clips which are cut to make out CBs look as bad as possible. That’s strange to me.

golden_blunder

Staff
The fact that you evaluate a player after a clip like that, and think it ”shows everything we need to know about Lindelof” tells us everything we need to know about you, your level of knowldege and how you evaluate players. The clip is just before the 90 minutes, and that’s how it often looks at that point.
As you know I’ve been banging on about lindelof since his first season.
forget his passing for a second; do you think he’s a good enough ‘defender’ for Manchester United?

golden_blunder

Staff
@A-man 2-3 guys pollute this thread with anti-Lindelof sentiment? Have you looked at the number that say he’s not good enough? More like there are 2-3 that defend him to the death, 1 of which is you

A-man

As you know I’ve been banging on about lindelof since his first season.
forget his passing for a second; do you think he’s a good enough ‘defender’ for Manchester United?
I think he’s good enough. He can be upgraded for sure but it’s not like another defender had changed anything in the league exactly. It’s been 7 months since we lost a PL match with our first CB pair. 6 out 8 draws were clean sheets. Most important is that we get one more CB as it is thin on the bench.

@A-man 2-3 guys pollute this thread with anti-Lindelof sentiment? Have you looked at the number that say he’s not good enough? More like there are 2-3 that defend him to the death, 1 of which is you
If you look now, yes. That’s the reaction after the final. We see the same in many threads. To see what people have thought of him over the season, watch his ratings as they reflect that. Only Shaw has higher ratings of all our defenders. But you have, as you state, been doing this for a long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.