View full 2020-21 profile

5.9 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

lex talionis

If we can grab Upamecano for his buy out clause of 42 million Euro's we'd be absolutely sorted, and for a relatively cheap price all things considered. Long shot considering everyone will no doubt be after him but...
If we actually grab Upamecano for 42m I’d give it serious consideration. But this is not an area in the squad I’m all that concerned about.

I’m less convinced by the pairing of McFred to allow us to do anything more than help us grind out draws, which at least I think we need to start moving beyond. If there’s a proper CDM get table for 60m to me that’s a more pressing matter than another CB.

I was also in the Sancho at all costs camp, but knowing what I know now, much better to break the bank on Grealish, who’s leadership and decision making we could use up front. And then see what we have in Diallo, who may make the match day squad soon.

macheda14

If we can grab Upamecano for his buy out clause of 42 million Euro's we'd be absolutely sorted, and for a relatively cheap price all things considered. Long shot considering everyone will no doubt be after him but...
All reports coming out say we aren’t interested in him anymore.

Chief123

I think this is a little bit of a myth people use to discredit our defence. If we played like this, how come we score so many goals (only Liverpool better)? Also, you make it sound as the the two midfielders take care of all the defence and the defenders can just sit back and watch the game. We can quite easily see in the stats that they have been busy despite playing in a team that is leading the league. Harry Maguire has won by far most aerials of all the CBs in the PL and has the most interceptions as well. He is also high in blocks. If we look per game he is still very up in numbers and Lindelof and Bailly average for a PL CB. This is in a team that won most matches and not a weak team who is under constant attack. So I think we can debunk this myth that the midfield is doing all our defending.
Completely missed the point. Never mind.

A-man

Completely missed the point. Never mind.
Really? You wrote
“He’s basically created a shield for the defence which means the defenders will naturally look better when they are less exposed.”

Then you can explain what you mean if you mean something else.

Chief123

Really? You wrote
“He’s basically created a shield for the defence which means the defenders will naturally look better when they are less exposed.”

Then you can explain what you mean if you mean something else.
When you come out with self made nonsense like this...
So I think we can debunk this myth that the midfield is doing all our defending.
It shows you’ve completely missed the point and are the type of poster where it’s a waste of time responding to.

A-man

When you come out with self made nonsense like this...

It shows you’ve completely missed the point and are the type of poster where it’s a waste of time responding to.
You are not the first who talk about how the defence is looking better because they are “shielded” by two DM. I just showed that the defence is doing the work. Again, if you mean something else why not explain what you mean?

Ekeke

I'm gonna guess that Lindelof will be shown to be first choice by Ole's selections. I don't agree with it but I was happy with his last performance and Lindelof over Bailly is the pattern we've seen till this point so I don't see it changing unless he plays badly for a certain amount of games.

Chief123

You are not the first who talk about how the defence is looking better because they are “shielded” by two DM. I just showed that the defence is doing the work. Again, if you mean something else why not explain what you mean?
I didn’t think I needed to explain it further, but for some reason you took from my post that I was stating the midfield was doing all the defending. That clearly wasn’t my point. You just seemed to have an agenda of showing that Maguire has been amazing and that’s why we look better defensively.

At no point did I suggest the defenders are not playing well. Far from it. I think they are playing a lot better than I expected them to do. Maguire has been brilliant last few games regardless of who he’s partnered with. But that wasn’t my point. The post I originally responded to was questioning whether there was some tactical change to explain why we’ve looked better defensively. I was highlighting that yes the fact that Ole had switched to playing Fred and Mctominay together as a duo in front of the defence after our terrible start which was compounded with the 6-1 thrashing against spurs. We were all over the place defensively at that time and the defence was being exposed at will by opponents running directly at the heart of our defence with very little protection. Since Ole switched to those two to sit in front of the defence, our results started to improve and we started conceding less key chances to opponents. Ole stuck with the duo and it has become his go to choice for any crunch game.

To suggest that our defensive performances haven’t improved because of them helping the defence by sitting in front of them and offering them protection would just be naive. There is no way a combination of Pogba and Matic offers the same protection as Fred and Mctominay. I’m not even a big fan of the Mcfred combination. Pogba and Matic are technically more gifted than the other two and are better all round players. But there’s a reason why they aren’t the first choice in big games at the moment. People can pretend Fred and Mctominay just run around and don’t do anything to help the defence which is just silly. If one doesn’t realise why Ole is choosing McFred duo ahead of anyone else then I question their understanding of the game. That’s not to say our defenders haven’t performed brilliantly. But having team mates play in front of you who give you some protection doesn’t half help.

A-man

I didn’t think I needed to explain it further, but for some reason you took from my post that I was stating the midfield was doing all the defending. That clearly wasn’t my point. You just seemed to have an agenda of showing that Maguire has been amazing and that’s why we look better defensively.

At no point did I suggest the defenders are not playing well. Far from it. I think they are playing a lot better than I expected them to do. Maguire has been brilliant last few games regardless of who he’s partnered with. But that wasn’t my point. The post I originally responded to was questioning whether there was some tactical change to explain why we’ve looked better defensively. I was highlighting that yes the fact that Ole had switched to playing Fred and Mctominay together as a duo in front of the defence after our terrible start which was compounded with the 6-1 thrashing against spurs. We were all over the place defensively at that time and the defence was being exposed at will by opponents running directly at the heart of our defence with very little protection. Since Ole switched to those two to sit in front of the defence, our results started to improve and we started conceding less key chances to opponents. Ole stuck with the duo and it has become his go to choice for any crunch game.

To suggest that our defensive performances haven’t improved because of them helping the defence by sitting in front of them and offering them protection would just be naive. There is no way a combination of Pogba and Matic offers the same protection as Fred and Mctominay. I’m not even a big fan of the Mcfred combination. Pogba and Matic are technically more gifted than the other two and are better all round players. But there’s a reason why they aren’t the first choice in big games at the moment. People can pretend Fred and Mctominay just run around and don’t do anything to help the defence which is just silly. If one doesn’t realise why Ole is choosing McFred duo ahead of anyone else then I question their understanding of the game. That’s not to say our defenders haven’t performed brilliantly. But having team mates play in front of you who give you some protection doesn’t half help.
There have been plenty of posts where people make claim that our defence is so useless that it needs two DM to do the job for them. Now when you explained what you mean, it is clear I made the wrong assumption about you and I apologise.

I agree to some extent but not fully. Playing McFred was clearly a large part of the solution, but Maguire getting back on form, and actually most of team getting back on form, was just as important.

Playing McFred is not necessarily a much more defensive approach. It is strengthening the central defence but that gives the possibility to play players who don’t participate much in defending, and to allow our FB to move forward more. If I understood Ole correct, he played Matic and Pogba against Burnley because he wanted some big strong midfielder who also could challenge in the air. Against Liverpool he said he wanted them to play so Pogba could play high up the pitch. With that setup we had two forwards plus two skilled midfielders who could join the attack.

A-man

We do play like this in terms of setup and it suits us because we're a counter attacking team, although it gives the front players a lot to do. With 2 DMs we invite teams forward. And then our players break on the counter.

I would agree that the 2 DMs have not done a minding job for the defenders, rather just running a lot in midfield.

But against Liverpool I can say it was noticable that the team did a much better job in general of covering with McTominay and Lindelof covering players on the right when AWB was up against the winger, and when Shaw was confronting someone Fred was tracking back with a runner. This is something that needed some improvement and against Liverpool it was there. Its something a lot of posters had blamed on the fullbacks when we kept having issues with those overloads earlier in the season, but our DMs and CBs should have been helping to cover them. The CBs did a bit, the DMs just stayed in front of the central defenders.
Yes the covering for the FBs worked excellent against Liverpool. As you say, this has been a bit of an issue before, especially at our right. AWB doesn’t have time to run home and Lindelof has to cover far out on the flank, if he doesn’t get help from a DM there will be an open space somewhere. Maybe it will also help with the issue that AWB has been dragged in to the centre. If there is already a CB plus a DM there is no need for him to leave his position.