g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });
Victor Lindelof image 2

Victor Lindelof Sweden flag

2020-21 Performances

View full 2020-21 profile

5.9 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

RussellWilson

2020 NFC Fantasy League winner
Nope. The ball had an unusual trajectory. It was a high, looping cross. He had to wait for it to drop before he could attack it. Which he was doing right at the moment he got clobbered on the back of his head.

On a side note, the looping trajectory made De Gea’s lack of involvement even more unforgivable. Plus the angle it was coming from. Straight towards him, from deep. Absolutely diabolical goalkeeping.
It wasn't flat but at no point does he step forward. He's back peddling all the way, so much so a player behind him managed to head it. Are you really trying to claim he was stood at the only spot he can meet the ball? That clearly isn't true. Vidic heads that a way, Chris bloody Smalling heads that away.

TsuWave

Having a defender that gets easily manhandled and hoping the referee gives it every time, just seems like a recipe for disaster to me.

Lindelof is food out here.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Thought he was fouled for the goal (hand on his face) but he's a weak link for sure. Timid as de Gea, gets fouled and doesn't even object. Just looks sullen.

A good fourth choice defender.

A-man

Poor game today even though the goal looked like a clear foul. The whole defence ended up a lot 1v1 and did not look like a unit at all.

A-man

Didn't realise you were talking about the ref in that post.

I think we need to upgrade on both of our cbs. I just think it's pathetic that your first thought after every game is to go to this thread and moan about every touch you have a problem with (no matter how insignificant).

And now you attack A-man for no reason at all. We are all Utd fans, mate. Get a grip.
Don’t mind him. He’s one of those plastics who don’t care if United lose as long as it makes his hate objects look bad.

passing-wind

I just can't understand how Victor is such a weak player, he's not even aggressive in his mentality which could cater for his passive physicality. I do feel he was a better partner with Smalling but due to the profile of Maguire he will 100% be the one replaced in the starting 11.

Raven

Before he even had a chance to attack the ball he got whack in the back of his head from an elbow. Watch the replay closely. It’s a bad - and obvious- foul long before the ball reached him.

That's fecking assault. I'm actually raging about this.

UnitedRepublic

Finally people realise what type of a player he is. He makes our other players insecure people are talking about him being a big game players but it’s a lot easier to do it when it’s a big game and we defend with atleast 9 man behind the ball.

It’s games like this when he is not protected, that you see the true Victor. I’m born and raised in Sweden but I would never recomend us to buy any Swedish players because we’ve been programmed since young that you don’t have to be the best it’s alright being alright. If you’re like Zlatan full of confidence people will hate you for that, how dare he be that confident.

Hopefully in the future we’ll program the players to belive more in them selves and that they can achive more than the ones before them and hopefully make a bigger stamp in the world football scene.

Foxbatt

Agree now that is a foul. VAR should have looked at it and the whole team should have complained a lot more to the referee.

criticalanalysis

It wasn't flat but at no point does he step forward. He's back peddling all the way, so much so a player behind him managed to head it. Are you really trying to claim he was stood at the only spot he can meet the ball? That clearly isn't true. Vidic heads that a way, Chris bloody Smalling heads that away.
Agree. It should have been given for a foul. However, I don't get this 'Vidic would have won it' comparisons.

It wasn't an easy chance to clear but it's fairly standard PL stuff. Either you stand your ground/hold off the attacker or you meet it by moving forward or actually jumping.

We don't need to elevate the difficulty of the chance by bringing an elite aerial player like Vidic into it.

Your average PL centre back deals with these all the time and it's not exactly like it was a 6'4 Zlatan or the like breathing down their neck.

Let's be honest whether he was fouled or not, Lindelof didn't exactly put himself in the best position to deal with it. Fundamentally he was all over the place in that chance.

mav_9me

At this point everyone agrees that's a foul. But at the same time if that was vidic it would never have happened cuz he would have been more aggressive and been in front of the striker imo.

Everyone can see he is passive and relatively weak. And that won't cut it in EPL. Absolute must that we have to move on from him.

At this point I'd definitely play Bailly every time he is available and Henderson too. No point sticking with what's not working.

If he doesn't change those that will be the end of Ole.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Don’t mind him. He’s one of those plastics who don’t care if United lose as long as it makes his hate objects look bad.
Dont talk nonsense man, I just want what’s best for United and don’t accept averageness, which lindelof clearly has been from day one

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen
He's blind 2.0. Any pressure on him and he goes to pot. Maguire just isn't the right partner for him, he need a babysitter partner.

Anders80

To me it wasn’t a foul. Yes there was contact, but I’m not surprised the ref didn’t give it. What’s the old adage? “Not enough”, right? Defender has to be stronger.
How the bloody hell was that not a foul? I mean some people, it's like they never watched football before.

The hand was in his fricken' face, while pulling his body. Of all sports football is where the tiniest bit of contact nets you a ridiculous free kick, players constantly act like princesses, pretend and fall, but a clear case like this with a hand in someone's face gets a pass.

I'm speechless.

Doracle

I didn’t think it was a foul initially but, having seen the replays, it clearly was. Exactly the type of thing that should be spotted by VAR as it’s easy for the ref to miss in real time.

TsuWave

How the bloody hell was that not a foul? I mean some people, it's like they never watched football before.

The hand was in his fricken' face, while pulling his body. Of all sports football is where the tiniest bit of contact nets you a ridiculous free kick, players constantly act like princesses, pretend and fall, but a clear case like this with a hand in someone's face gets a pass.

I'm speechless.
you’ve typed a lot for someone that’s speechless

Doracle

Most should agree.

Was it even reviewed by VAR? Goes to show the lack of consistency with officials when Maguire goals against Sheffield United and Burnley was disallowed.
I do feel we need to be far less passive in this type of incident. My feeling is that if Lindelof had been in the on field referee’s face with, for example, his hand covering his eyes to show what had happened, VAR might have given it a more detailed review.

Jaqen H'ghar

I can't drive...55
Not biggest fan, and he has made mistakes before, but that was a foul, clear as daylight. The only one at fault in this instance is the ref/VAR for letting the goal stand.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
He's soft as feck and opposing players know it. It's why they blatently target him and De Gea and foul them when needed. They know they're going to get away with it.

oz insomniac

Just think that Jose had the choice at the time of Lindelof or Van Dyke, and he went with the Portuguese trained player probably as he felt he was easier to control. Jose and Woodward again involved in getting it wrong.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Lindelof was weaker that he would ideally be (as was De Gea who should have dealt with it himself), but it was a blatant foul. Not sure how anybody can look at that at that pic of Diagne pushing Lindelof's head to the side while covering his eyes with his hand and try to claim it was a fair challenge. Maybe 20 years ago it would have been allowed but it's a blatant foul in todays game.

tjb

I'm ok with Lindelof a a squad player. My major gripe with him is that people don't still seem to fully appreciate how much pressure his presence puts on our defence. Its Smalling Blind all over again. Aerial duels are key in the premier league, and having central defenders that can't deal with them provides a lot of potential pressure, particularly as teams in england are still direct. His inability to handle them effectively puts Maguire in the uncomfortable position of having to constantly supervise and protect him. Maguire's mistakes usually come from situations where he has to cover both Shaw and Lindelof simultaneously, yet people just seem more comfortable pushing blame to the bigger personality.

Kostov

Yes looking at that picture seems like poor Lindelof was killed for the goal, watching the actual goal you can clearly see a weak ass CB getting bullied by a mediocre striker. Stop making excuses for under performing average players, he was absolute shit once again.

Kostov

And his elaboration is also incorrect. Unless you think he headers it off an invisible wall, his hand is CLEARLY in his face and not across his shoulder BEFORE headers it. If you're going to scramble to defend such a dreadful post, then at least do so with a slither of plausibility.

Here is it again for your ease. I look forward to you explaining away the laws of physics.

Here is the highlights, how can any of you with a right mind watch that and ask for a foul, it was such a weak contact and pathetic excuse for a shit reaction by Lindelof.

Match highlights

A-man

Yes looking at that picture seems like poor Lindelof was killed for the goal, watching the actual goal you can clearly see a weak ass CB getting bullied by a mediocre striker. Stop making excuses for under performing average players, he was absolute shit once again.
If a strong player like Diagne is allowed to play like that it is difficult to defend no matter how strong or weak you are. We also saw him through Maguire to the ground like he was some a junior player. A serious question, do you think Maguire is a “ weak ass CB getting bullied by a mediocre striker.”?

Sylar

I personally think was a foul. However, Lindelof should be more pro-active in attacking the ball. Being reactive to situations is not the way you defend. Quality players are those who see the dangers and react accordingly.
I think this is why Bruno had a go at him vs Sevilla last season. He reacts but it's too late and is more reactive rather than proactive to cut out danger

I mean it was a foul but there are plenty of defenders who would still ensure they get to the ball first or make a big big deal about being fouled to the point the ref and VAR question themselves

Kostov

If a strong player like Diagne is allowed to play like that it is difficult to defend no matter how strong or weak you are. We also saw him through Maguire to the ground like he was some a junior player. A serious question, do you think Maguire is a “ weak ass CB getting bullied by a mediocre striker.”?
Every other striker is difficult to defend for Lindelof, and that's part of the problem. Diagne would have caused problems to Ferdinand also, but Rio would have won that header beacuse he had to. And do not compare that situation to Maguire's since the incident with him, clearly showed how Diagne went through his leg and fouled him, and no I don't think Maguire is weak, but after yesterday, I think he is actually a very stupid individual, since he did the same a week ago and luckily he didn't cost us, the moron.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Every other striker is difficult to defend for Lindelof, and that's part of the problem. Diagne would have caused problems to Ferdinand also, but Rio would have won that header beacuse he had to. And do not compare that situation to Maguire's since the incident with him, clearly showed how Diagne went through his leg and fouled him, and no I don't think Maguire is weak, but after yesterday, I think he is actually a very stupid individual, since he did the same a week ago and luckily he didn't cost us, the moron.
Yes any defender would win a header when the attacker has their hand all over their face and they cant see the ball. Right on

Eugenius

It was a foul - but in real time it seemed a marginal one. We would all be upset if he had a goal disallowed for similar. Lindelof barely appealed himself quite frankly.

The issue is again something he does every game - not anticipating the flight of the ball and waiting for it to drop on his head rather than attacking it. Him being weak and passive invites a lot of pressure on to us (like last week, a weak header was the start of an Everton goal). A few people appear to be in denial that he is good enough to be a starter for us.

Kostov

Yes any defender would win a header when the attacker has their hand all over their face and they cant see the ball. Right on
Go and watch the highlights again and not base your opinion on a picture regarding the incident. No foul, just a soft CB playing in the PL.

Cassidy

Go and watch the highlights again and not base your opinion on a picture regarding the incident. No foul, just a soft CB playing in the PL.
How do you know what I based my opinion on? I watched the game and it was a foul end of. Lindelof should have done better, that doesnt mean it wasnt a foul

Maybe you need to he more objective and not base your opinion on your opinion of the player in general.

Kostov

It was a foul - but in real time it seemed a marginal one. We would all be upset if he had a goal disallowed for similar. Lindelof barely appealed himself quite frankly.

The issue is again something he does every game - not anticipating the flight of the ball and waiting for it to drop on his head rather than attacking it. Him being weak and passive invites a lot of pressure on to us (like last week, a weak header was the start of an Everton goal). A few people appear to be in denial that he is good enough to be a starter for us.

It wasn't mate, it was a part of a second contact and he should have cleared the cross by than, instead he gets bullied.

LuisNaniencia

Sky Sports called my bluff
It's a clear foul, but unfortunately another example of a weak centre back getting bullied.

On reflection, Lindelof should have gone down holding his face and stayed down. I guarantee they would have reviewed it more in that case.

Kostov

How do you know what I based my opinion on? I watched the game and it was a foul end of. Lindelof should have done better, that doesnt mean it wasnt a foul
I watched the game also, I didn't see a foul being given did you maybe saw that foul in your dreams?

Lentwood

The trouble with Lindelof is that there are a sizeable number of teams in the PL who pretty much solely rely on set-pieces and crosses into the box to score goals and that is his one major weakness.

I’m not questioning his bravery or application but for whatever reason, he just doesn’t seem to pick up the flight of the ball early enough and is vulnerable.

Add to that the GK is very passive from set-pieces and the fact AWB is weak in the air and straight away you can see we have an obvious issue

Cassidy

I watched the game also, I didn't see a foul being given did you maybe saw that foul in your dreams?
Yes must be it. I mean referees never make mistakes right. I’m not here for childish debates its ok to disagree.

A-man

It’s pure speculations if Rio would have won it or not. We’ve saw him lose duels and aerials as well. But it doesn’t really matter what Rio had done or not. Lindelof had a poor game, but this situation was a very clear foul. There is no chance it would have been a goal without the foul. A hand in the face is always a free kick even when it’s not in a duel. Here it’s used to win the duel. The only goal we conceded yesterday was a clear foul.

But if we look at the whole defence yesterday it was very poor. And I’m not talking individually, but as a unit from midfield all the way back. There was a good analysis of this on tv: agaisnt a team that will play the way Weat Brom played, you always need to be one more man than them in the box. But we ended up with 2v2, and 3v3 time and time again, which meant every defender was defending alone. It was not just the goal. We saw many situations, as example when Shaw lost an aerial duel and DDG had to make a save. We dominated the match and then you could expect counters, but the situations I’m talking about happened when we had time to organise ourselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.