Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fussmeister

It was a foul. But he should have dealt with that before digne fouled him. Both our CBs have a habit of counting the ref will blow the whistle... He was shit today. Looks like he hates to play against this kind of teams.

Bobski

Fukk me there’s so much hatred for Lindelof here. I don’t rate him that highly either but in no universe is he at fault for the goal, which should have been ruled a foul by the attacking player.

Just look at the photo above and explain how that’s not a foul and what exactly Lindelof was supposed to do?
Attack the ball earlier. Yes it is a foul but what frustrates is that scenario happens too often with Lindelof due to his passive approach to defending. Too often on the back foot defensively when he could stop things at source more often with a different attitude.

TsuWave

And his elaboration is also incorrect. Unless you think he headers it off an invisible wall, his hand is CLEARLY in his face and not across his shoulder BEFORE headers it. If you're going to scramble to defend such a dreadful post, then at least do so with a slither of plausibility.

Here is it again for your ease. I look forward to you explaining away the laws of physics.

I’m not explaining shit. My contention point with your post is how it selectively addressed stuff.

To me it wasn’t a foul. Yes there was contact, but I’m not surprised the ref didn’t give it. What’s the old adage? “Not enough”, right? Defender has to be stronger.

Lindelof is a bum

JustAGuest

Why is it so difficult for some to admit that it was a foul? You can still think he had a bad game, it doesn't have to be one or the other.

Halftrack

I’m not explaining shit. My contention point with your post is how it selectively addressed stuff.

To me it wasn’t a foul. Yes there was contact, but I’m not surprised the ref didn’t give it. What’s the old adage? “Not enough”, right? Defender has to be stronger.

Lindelof is a bum
It addressed the central claim of Ekeke's, namely that it wasn't a foul because Diagne only put his hand in Lindelöf's face after getting the header off.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
What a load of utter bollocks. Lindelöf definitely could have done better, but you're bending reality to avoid having to admit you were talking crap.
It's pathetic. Apparently, saying Lindelof was poor isn't good enough, we need to make stuff up too.

Lindelof is a bum
If I wanted to selectively address stuff, I would've deleted what I didn't want to address. I've left it there because, clearly, it's utter horseshit. He's quite literally reinventing what has happened and you feel the need to defend that?

Redlyn

He is weak, could have done better by being more agressive and attacking the ball. Still a foul. You can't put your hands like that over a players head blinding him.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
It's was a foul but I'm sick off seeing this flimsy centre back starting games for us.

Valencia Shin Crosses

Truly shocking performance today. And yeah the goal is probably a foul but my god it's terrible for him to even end up in that position. Such a passive defender that shits himself in any sort of isolation, and the fact that people seem to think that him or Maguire are less error prone than Bailly or others is laughable. Those two have made errors all year, they just manage to get bailed out often.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
I've played with a bad back and it's brutal. Affects almost every facet of your physicality, your balance, movement etc.

That being said, I don't have the body of a fourteen year old boy with rickets, so it must be extra hard for Victor.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
I personally think was a foul. However, Lindelof should be more pro-active in attacking the ball. Being reactive to situations is not the way you defend. Quality players are those who see the dangers and react accordingly.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
I'm not going to even argue about him for the goal. You can be as weak as they come but being held back by the face and also temporarily blinded by that hand is always a foul and even if it is typical for Lindelof to get himself in these situations it's never ever his fault because he was impeded. If he wasn't then it might have been a head to head collision and the debate would have been about if certain teams can continue to close their eyes and jump with full force into someones head when they're not the ones closest to the ball.

We like the fact that the striker had no right to get to that ball but he did anyways, that was a beautiful move, however if he couldn't impede Lindelof he wouldn't be able to, so it's ridiculous the goal stood.

Sylar

We will struggle to compete for major trophies with him as a CB combined with Maguire and DDG

criticalanalysis

Well that didn’t take long did it lads?
:lol:

I give a lot of benefit of doubt to pretty much every single player in the squad. I rarely get hyperbolic or single mindedly critical about a player. In recent years, in order of 'deserved criticism to expection', it would be De Gea, Lingard, Martial, Mata etc (i.e post Rooney) and in general I try to see both sides of everyone. However, Lindelof is by far my 'weakness' when it comes to criticism. It's not the fact that I think he doesnt have ability (because he does) or that he is 'poor', it's the fact that he isn't good.

I've said this many times, it's like this with every player's performance threads where there's always going to be large polarising views 'great' vs 'abysmal'. The difference is that with almost every other player I can see outright, clear and even standout quality, which gives you a reason to believe and even become defensive or hope there's a reason for when times they are below par. With Lindelof, it's just incredibly meek performances and consistently low level displays of ability yet we have his fans in here defending like he's dealing with Messi in the channels, John Carew in the air and is being pressed by peak Barca/Liverpool/City every game.

It's incredibly delusional/bias levels of gatekeeping to not simply accept he is just not good enough.

We're not analysing Pogba, Bruno or Rooney here. It's Victor Passive Lindelof ffs.

No amount of stats about how he wins a lot of aerials (against 1 striker, 20 yards away from goal where we're the dominant team) or how he's been a stalwart in our 'great' defence can tell anyone that he isn't definitely weak in the air or is a 'good' defender by any measure of the stick.

Last edited:

Bobski

I No amount of stats about how he wins a lot of aerials or how he's been a stalwart in our 'great' defence can tell anyone that he isn't definitely weak in the air or a 'good' defender by any measure of the stick.
Probably won a lot of aerials today, mainly because they kicked everything in his direction.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Do you know what a foul is? It's like saying someone should score a goal even though he was hacked down before he can get a shot off. A foul is called when play is impeded illegally, so Lindelof was impeded, making it very difficult to get to the ball.
Hacked down? Hardly. He waited for the ball to come to his head rather than going for it fully like Vidic would have done. Again I ask do you think Vidic or Bruce would have lost that regardless if someone was fouling them?

RedDevilzFox

I've not been willing to make a judgement on him but he really is a backup centre back, not a first choice. At least he stays fit.

golden_blunder

Staff
Didn't realise you were talking about the ref in that post.

I think we need to upgrade on both of our cbs. I just think it's pathetic that your first thought after every game is to go to this thread and moan about every touch you have a problem with (no matter how insignificant).

And now you attack A-man for no reason at all. We are all Utd fans, mate. Get a grip.
Let’s put it in context, I’ve pointed out pretty much from day 1 that he’s not strong enough for the PL as a CB. he’s just not. Now more and more people are agreeing with that fact. He’s too passive. Don’t even get me started on his passing triangles.

and I’m hardly attacking @A-man, he was very vocal in his opinion so I’m vocal pointing out he’s wrong

Conor

I would genuinely prefer to play McTominay as a CB and concede 3 a game, than have to watch him wimp out of half the challenges he's involved in, and whine about anyone touching him. Yes, it was a foul, but he should be milling through that ball and the player if possible, it's just weak, weak play to allow that situation to even materialise.

golden_blunder

Staff
I personally think was a foul. However, Lindelof should be more pro-active in attacking the ball. Being reactive to situations is not the way you defend. Quality players are those who see the dangers and react accordingly.
Spot on sultan. It’s the difference between an average cb and a top notch one

Fahad Jawaid

The most Spineless CB i have seen at Manutd in my life. He never commits, he is always two steps behind. Plus he can easily be bullied, and their CF actually bullied him not once but twice in the early minutes.

What was his reaction to commit stupid fouls and act like a pretend hardman and give free kicks to team which is playing for long balls and crosses into the box, plus it breaks up the momentum of attacks.

Lastly for a Iceman, he is the first one to buckle under pressure, he is a wanna be ball playing defender, Maguire gets criticized but i actually rate him better than him. He wins headers and can actually ball long balls. His 90% passes is to AWB who then passes it again to him and then he gives it to Maguire and repeat.

If i was the manager this would be the first departure of the summer.

RedDevil250

He's not good enough. He's so weak IMO. Forget the first goal, where he was weak but very well may have been fouled, what about that chance in the second half for West Brom? His man ran right across him again for what feels like the 50th time this season. How does he let that keep happening? It's embarrassing from a PL CB. Maguire is a meme but at least he has some decent qualities. This guy is a nobody. Should be shipped out I'm done watching him.

It's not a coincidence we had a good run at the back when Bailly was in this man's place.

Reactions: golden_blunder

RussellWilson

2020 NFC Fantasy League winner
Nearly lost us the game too by reacting so slowly to Diagnes run, lucky he blazed it over.

Probably my most hated ever United player. Couldn't fight his way out of a wet paper back and we have him playing centre back.

Raven

Hacked down? Hardly. He waited for the ball to come to his head rather than going for it fully like Vidic would have done. Again I ask do you think Vidic or Bruce would have lost that regardless if someone was fouling them?
I think they probably would have been beaten by that foul as well. Not only is he pushing him in the face, he's also got his hand over his eyes so he cant see what's going on. The more I think about it, the more disgraceful the decision for the goal to stand becomes.

Ekeke

I was harsh earlier about the goal. I do now agree that in slow motion the hand across Lindelof's face is before he heads the ball so a foul should be given. In real time I could see why it was given, but with the benefit of VAR and the ability to review these things with technology it should have been fixed.

Raven

I was harsh earlier about the goal. I do now agree that in slow motion the hand across Lindelof's face is before he heads the ball so a foul should be given. In real time I could see why it was given, but with the benefit of VAR and the ability to review these things with technology it should have been fixed.
I thought it was clear as day as it happened but it's good that you went and watched it back.

Ekeke

I thought it was clear as day as it happened but it's good that you went and watched it back.
I was looking at bad angles tbh, the ones from the back. When I saw the one from the front yes it was clear the hand was in the face first

Abhinav

Was fouled for the goal but seems to be too weak in a lot of such instances. Between him & DDG, we could have cut a couple of goals in the last two weeks which led to dropped points.
Maguire is also not without weaknesses but he has a couple of redeeming qualities including his strength in the air. Lindelof should definitely be ushered to the bench with a top quality defender taking his place. Otherwise, we are looking having to score at least 2 or three goals to win a game of football.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Before he even had a chance to attack the ball he got whack in the back of his head from an elbow. Watch the replay closely. It’s a bad - and obvious- foul long before the ball reached him.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
He also tried to dribble and then gave it away and they almost scored from the counter.

He also was poorly positioned and didn't cut out a cross creating a point blank chance.

The goal was a foul but he was predictably weak.

His mistakes could be excuaed if he was actually a good passer or good ball carrier but he is neither.

golden_blunder

Staff
Before he even had a chance to attack the ball he got whack in the back of his head from an elbow. Watch the replay closely. It’s a bad - and obvious- foul long before the ball reached him.

I agree he did, maybe it’s harsh but I felt he should have already been jumping for that ball before the guy even gets a chance to put his hand across. That’s the basis of my point. Be aggressive and clear it don’t wait for it to drop on your head

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
I agree he did, maybe it’s harsh but I felt he should have already been jumping for that ball before the guy even gets a chance to put his hand across. That’s the basis of my point. Be aggressive and clear it don’t wait for it to drop on your head
Watch the replay closely though. It’s not the hand in the face that’s the main problem. It’s the elbow in the back of his head. Which happens when the ball is nowhere near him and right about the moment when he might start to attack the ball.

Following the forearm smash up with a hand over his eyes was just the icing on a blatantly obvious foul cake.

RussellWilson

2020 NFC Fantasy League winner
Watch the replay closely though. It’s not the hand in the face that’s the main problem. It’s the elbow in the back of his head. Which happens when the ball is nowhere near him and right about the moment when he might start to attack the ball.

Following the forearm smash up with a hand over his eyes was just the icing on a blatantly obvious foul cake.
If he reads the flight of the ball and moves forward to the ball rather then waiting for it, the player doesn't even have a chance to foul him.

The player heads the ball at Lindelof's chest height when he's not even off the ground. He could have easily met it two yards further forward by attacking and jumping. That's undeniable.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
If he reads the flight of the ball and moves forward to the ball rather then waiting for it, the player doesn't even have a chance to foul him.

The player heads the ball at Lindelof's chest height when he's not even off the ground. He could have easily met it two yards further forward by attacking and jumping. That's undeniable.
Nope. The ball had an unusual trajectory. It was a high, looping cross. He had to wait for it to drop before he could attack it. Which he was doing right at the moment he got clobbered on the back of his head.

On a side note, the looping trajectory made De Gea’s lack of involvement even more unforgivable. Plus the angle it was coming from. Straight towards him, from deep. Absolutely diabolical goalkeeping.

Status
Not open for further replies.