Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Devil may care

Not as good as he's been recently but he settled into the game and has definitely been more combative of late.

The Hilton

Every game he does something like that.

When are people going to stop defending him
Probably around the time people stop making blatantly false claims like the comment in bold.

Terrible mistake in an otherwise decent performance, he's no prime Rio but not as bad as his detractors make him out to be.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
It's gonna be hard to top these performances vs Milan & City.

He's fit and not suspended, therefore needs to play.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Ekeke is loving this, only bitterly disappointed that we didn't lose as a result of his defensive error.
Interesting you choose to lash out at another poster rather than just accepting the mistake and moving on.

SwedishFish

Interesting you choose to lash out at another poster rather than just accepting the mistake and moving on.
You could read his posts regarding Lindelöf the matchday thread if you'd like before you start talking rubbish.

I'm not disregarding the fact that it's a mistake by him (and a poor mistake at that) but I thought he did alright other than that.

Poor lapse but he improved on it, we could do better in CB but who should we get yada yada yada. Moving on.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
You could read his posts regarding Lindelöf the matchday thread if you'd like before you start talking rubbish.

I'm not disregarding the fact that it's a mistake by him (and a poor mistake at that) but I thought he did alright other than that.

Poor lapse but he improved on it, we could do better in CB but who should we get yada yada yada. Moving on.
You can accuse me of talking rubbish but I'm not the one who claimed another poster wanted us to lose to suit his agenda, try looking inwards before projecting outwards next time.

SwedishFish

You can accuse me of talking rubbish but I'm not the one who claimed another poster wanted us to lose to suit his agenda, try looking inwards before projecting outwards next time.
I'm not projecting, if you can't see the hangup/agenda then that's on you.

I've made my point clear in regards to the CB situation in general and I think that for today's goal, there were several defenders who were at fault with the sloppy marking, but only one pinpointed by a certain poster.

Go figure why.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
poor mistake, first in a while after a good run of form. lucky the team got him out of trouble, but he did fine apart from that.

kundalini

Not great for Son's goal and needlessly conceded a corner from a cross that Henderson was about to claim; that corner was headed first by Pogba into a dangerous area then Cavani against the woodwork. One decent bit of defending when the score was 0-0.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Might sound weird but I don't mind that sort of mistake (as much as you can not mind a mistake for a goal) compared to something thats more poor judgement / positioning, not tracking a man etc.

He just missed the ball, that sort of thing can happen but doesn't happen often.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Might sound weird but I don't mind that sort of mistake (as much as you can not mind a mistake for a goal) compared to something thats more poor judgement / positioning, not tracking a man etc.

He just missed the ball, that sort of thing can happen but doesn't happen often.
Yeah he was just caught off balance. It happens. Tells us nothing about how good or bad he is as a defender.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I’m not, this is his m.o
Play well for a few then bang he’s done something. Shame. He’s got himself at most probability of being replaced
Yup. A defender making the mistake he did today is pretty bad. That you'd expect it of Lindelof is damning.

A-man

Yeah I think he got lucky. If they had gone on to win reactions would differ
Luck has nothing to do with it. We fully deserved our win. We were superior in defence, midfield and attack. That’s why we won. The only lucky moment was for Spurs when they scored.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Yeah I think he got lucky. If they had gone on to win reactions would differ
Very much so. That's Lindelof for me. He can look like a Rolls Royce of a defender but always has that kind of mistake in him. We've seen it time and again.

arthurka

Very much so. That's Lindelof for me. He can look like a Rolls Royce of a defender but always has that kind of mistake in him. We've seen it time and again.
This. Always one game away from a disaster performance. That said he has been very solid lately.

A-man

Every defender always has “that kind of mistake” in them. I am 100% sure that if we had conceded any of the 3 goals we scored today, we would be blaming our defenders, saying they always make mistakes etc. But this is the nature of the game. We have conceded very few goals lately and defence has been very good. Today we conceded one goal which is never good, but it happens sometimes.
This. Always one game away from a disaster performance. That said he has been very solid lately.
Has he even had 1 disaster performance this season? I would say that’s one of his better sides, that he rarely put up a disaster performance.

Halftrack

Yup. A defender making the mistake he did today is pretty bad. That you'd expect it of Lindelof is damning.
What? He was off balance and missed the ball, literally happens to players every game, and it's pure bad luck that it happened to him in that situation. Has nothing to do with ability, it's just shit that happens sometimes.

Halftrack

Has he even had 1 disaster performance this season? I would say that’s one of his better sides, that he rarely put up a disaster performance.
He hasn't, but that's not going to stop some of these posters. He could get shot on the pitch, and they'd find some way to claim it's a damning indictment of him.

criticalanalysis

Mistake aside, i thought he did okay. Good block in the 2nd half.

See that Wellbeck issue to me you’ve read that completely wrong. He can’t close down the angle. What he is trying to do is be positioned to make the ball in to Welbeck as difficult as possible with good positioning. He achieves that, this is how modern defending is done. If he sprints out to the player which he probably never gets there then it’s easy to knock it past him and it’s an easy ball to Wellbeck.
Admittedly I don’t think he should allow that ball past him and should be able to get a toe or something on it. But it’s still a good bit of defending.

As for the Welbeck goal, that’s all on Bissaka. I don’t agree Lindelof had time to adjust, and even if he could he is travelling backwards he’d never get full spring to reach the ball.
You've got it wrong mate, read my post again because you've essentially agreed with me in that the cross should have been cut out. It was an extremely weak attempt of a block. Also let's not elevate this as something really special by calling it 'how modern defending is done' :confused:

As for the actual goal, watch the clip again. He didn't have time to adjust because he was on his back feet at the very last second like the cross caught him by suprise, which is damning because he moved into the position of closing the near post (where I have said many times was well done). I'll simplify it, in both incidents, he reads the situation well and is in the right positions but fails to stop the danger.

Edit: Those saying he hasn't 'disaster' performances erm West Brom, Crystal Palace?

arthurka

Every defender always has “that kind of mistake” in them. I am 100% sure that if we had conceded any of the 3 goals we scored today, we would be blaming our defenders, saying they always make mistakes etc. But this is the nature of the game. We have conceded very few goals lately and defence has been very good. Today we conceded one goal which is never good, but it happens sometimes.

It's fine to live in the present but let's not kid ourselves here, he has been an almost player since he came. Only the last three months or so he has looked like a player who has something to offer other than being available.

Foxbatt

I'm not projecting, if you can't see the hangup/agenda then that's on you.

I've made my point clear in regards to the CB situation in general and I think that for today's goal, there were several defenders who were at fault with the sloppy marking, but only one pinpointed by a certain poster.

Go figure why.
yes he did miss that but that was not the cause of the goal. Now people will jump on me but Rashford let Son go past him and he stopped running. That was why Son was all alone.

A-man

It's fine to live in the present but let's not kid ourselves here, he has been an almost player since he came. Only the last three months or so he has looked like a player who has something to offer other than being available.
He’s been steadily progressing, and been pretty solid for the second season in a row now imo. Would not say he’s prone to have disaster performances.

Caesar2290

One of the things that stands out about tonight's performance is his mentality. Despite making a school boy mistake, he recollected himself and was solid through out the match.

In a way I think he is this season's Shaw. A man that was written off by most of our fanbase, only for him to slowly turn it around. By the beginning of next season most of our fanbase are going to view him as a pivotal player in our defense.

An interesting observation unrelated to tonight is that he plays even better when he's not partnering Maguire. I think he might feel that he's in Harry's shadow as of right now, because he plays more cautiously/reserved. Now if you compare his games next to Bailly/Tuanzebe he looks like a more balls to the wall pro active CB. Same with the Swedish national team.

Raven

One of the things that stands out about tonight's performance is his mentality. Despite making a school boy mistake, he recollected himself and was solid through out the match.

In a way I think he is this season's Shaw. A man that was written off by most of our fanbase, only for him to slowly turn it around. By the beginning of next season most of our fanbase are going to view him as a pivotal player in our defense.

An interesting observation unrelated to tonight is that he plays even better when he's not partnering Maguire. I think he might feel that he's in Harry's shadow as of right now, because he plays more cautiously/reserved. Now if you compare his games next to Bailly/Tuanzebe he looks like a more balls to the wall pro active CB. Same with the Swedish national team.
It's because he's playing a different role when he plays with Harry.

Eternitiy

It's possible, but Shaw was always a generational talent. He's now simply reaching his potential. Lindelof can be quite a good player, but Shaw is beyond comparison technically and physically.

Kostov

Despite the goal, who I also think is on both Maguire and him, I feel he was fine, and held the ship while Harry was again shaky to say the least.

Andersons Dietician

Mistake aside, i thought he did okay. Good block in the 2nd half.

You've got it wrong mate, read my post again because you've essentially agreed with me in that the cross should have been cut out. It was an extremely weak attempt of a block. Also let's not elevate this as something really special by calling it 'how modern defending is done' :confused:

As for the actual goal, watch the clip again. He didn't have time to adjust because he was on his back feet at the very last second like the cross caught him by suprise, which is damning because he moved into the position of closing the near post (where I have said many times was well done). I'll simplify it, in both incidents, he reads the situation well and is in the right positions but fails to stop the danger.

Edit: Those saying he hasn't 'disaster' performances erm West Brom, Crystal Palace?
What Eke argues is that he should close him down. Is that not what you are also debating? What I’m saying is that he makes all the right choices, he is positioning himself to make it difficult to get the ball passed him delaying the action. He doesn’t close him down, he just makes his movement of that to stop an easy pass into Welbeck, which is how modern defending is done other than just getting to people and smashing them.

By the time the ball is actually played he’s done what he had set out to do, but I do think that ball ended up close enough to him when it was played that he should be able to divert it. I’ve called up Maguire for similar issues that have led to 3 goals so Lindelof should be held to the same standards.

Andersons Dietician

As for yesterday it was a bad mistake but given what he was trying to do easy one to make changing direction falling back. It was the right decision just terrible execution. If he just stops the ball given his momentum pulling him back that probably just falls to Kane and he’d struggle to recompose himself in time.

So other than that howler he was the best defender for me on the day.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
How? Every game he will make atleast one mistake that let's the opponent in. I know he has a little defence club on here but he just hanging on to the fact he is playing with maguire.
No, he doesn't make mistake every game. In fact he is very reliable regarding mistakes. We can talk about his reactions, general play, defending ... but claim that he does mistakes is nonsense.

More clean mistakes do AWB or Maguire than he does (and that doesn't make them better or worse defenders than him. I am just talking about "mistakes" which again are subjective thing.)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.