Victor Lindelöf

Status
Not open for further replies.

OohAahMartial

It's as much to do with height as anything else. The PL is physical and teams put you under pressure - having an additional centre back on the pitch provides some cover against teams who try to pin you in with balls into the box. I think the other factor is balance - ultimately teams cannot have both full backs flying down the wing as it leaves you open to counter attack. If you watch Utd this season, we tend to leave one full back at the half way line rather than both overlapping.

PS. Our most successful season in the last 10 years had 3 centre backs in the back 4.
Doesn't it just mean that when the RB goes forward the LB hangs back and vice versa? Rather than a full back who is just useless at going forward. IMO Martial desperately needs a more offensive minded full back helping him out and overlapping. During those times Valencia could hang back and tuck in.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
What's the concept behind a converted CB as full back. I only understand doing it with young CBs to help their overall development and as a low risk entry into the team. What tactical use does it have? Are there any exceptions to him doing this?
Well its a Mourinho thing. He always used it (Gallas, Ramos, Ivanovic, Chivu). I guess the idea is to provide extra inches and stability to the defence in time of need (parking the bus and all that). I still believe (and hope) that it won't be used week in week out as I do rate Shaw. However I see the wisdom in reverting into this setup especially if it means making Fellaini redundant.

TBF even SAF used it at times when Vidic-Rio were showing some wear and tear and were starting to struggle to support two attacking fullbacks (Rafael and Evra) week in week out. In matter of fact he would move Wes on the right rear flank to provide some extra protection.

devilish

This must mean that Smalling is done if it goes through.
I don't think so.

Mou had clearly stated that he sees Rojo as a lb + if Schneiderlin leaves, then there will be an extra spot to fill in CM. I also doubt Darmian will be with us next season. I can see us revert to

RB: Valencia, Semedo
LB: Shaw, Rojo
CB: Smalling, lindelof, Bailly, Jones

DM: Carrick, Blind

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I am sorry i dont understand.
The guy guesses, he isn't an agent and "Familienangehöriger" means that the player is represented by a member of his family, for example Messi is represented by "Familienangehöriger".

Maradona10

Woodward’s biggest fan
The guy guesses, he isn't an agent and "Familienangehöriger" means that the player is represented by a member of his family, for example Messi is represented by "Familienangehöriger".
Oh ok. Then you can disregard him.

I don't think so.

Mou had clearly stated that he sees Rojo as a lb + if Schneiderlin leaves, then there will be an extra spot to fill in CM. I also doubt Darmian will be with us next season. I can see us revert to

He seems to have had his mind changed by Rojo and I really don't see him going into next season with a DM position consisting of a 36 year old and a player he has never once seen play there.

SambaBoy

I hope this doesn't mean Rojo will be our LB/ or cover for LB. Obviously he's in excellent form playing CB and Mourinho will most likely want to keep him in the team while at the same time accommodating Lindelof, Bailly, Smalling and Jones.

The LB spot has been changed regularly already this season with Shaw, Darmian, Rojo and Blind all playing there, so he may see Rojo as his first choice LB now if he brings in Lindelof. The problem is Rojo really isn't that good at LB, he's much more solid in the middle and Shaw can be a top top player so I would rather him get a constant run of games, fitness permitting.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
FosuMensah should try and leave by the way, he's a CB with 5 relatively young CB's ahead of him if Lindelof signs.
He's a RB, CB and CM. I think people forget he's only 18 too. He'll get his chances.

devilish

He seems to have had his mind changed by Rojo and I really don't see him going into next season with a DM position consisting of a 36 year old and a player he has never once seen play there.
If he did he wouldn't have spent 30m+ on Lindelof wouldn't he? I think that he plays Rojo as CB because he's got no choice. Once the CB is sorted he'll return him as LB were his rash tackles will cause less problems

devilish

FosuMensah should try and leave by the way, he's a CB with 5 relatively young CB's ahead of him if Lindelof signs.
Weeeeell it depends.

Valencia won't last forever and I think we'll only add Semedo if we can get rid of Darmian. Not to forget that CM will be left with a crater that needs to be filled. Carrick is ancient, Schneiderlin is leaving, Fellaini will probably leave on summer. That leaves us with just Pogba, Blind, Carrick, Herrera and Mata (whose no CM) for a 3 men CM. (4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3)

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
a) he's 18
b) absolutely no chance those 5 CB's will all be here for the forseeable future
c) coaching staff have repeatedly said his future is as a CM
d) if he's good enough he'll force his way into the team regardless
e) boue

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Wow, sounds like its getting wrapped up quite quickly if the reports are true.

Jan 1st arrival?

JJ12

Are Benfica on TV tonight?

Could be worth a watch.

El-Manos

I don't think so.

who is semedo?

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
who is semedo?
Another Benfica prospect with high potential. Apparently we wanted to tie both down this January but they didn't want to lose two defenders in one window.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
Surely though, if this is a done deal then he won't be playing?
It seems everyone's reporting that he'll play his last match today. It happens all the time, he's not (even if the transfer was done) our property.

CG1010

Without knowing anything about the quality of the player, I can't say I am very enthused by the prospect. We already have a number of CBs of similar age profiles, including Bailley whom we recently bought. What we need most importantly is an experienced good quality CB.

JJ12

It seems everyone's reporting that he'll play his last match today. It happens all the time, he's not (even if the transfer was done) our property.
True, I suppose we don't mind him keeping up his fitness and the more he plays now the better because he most probably won't player for a few weeks.

starman

Care to venture a reason as to why any of us should care less how much money the Glazers decide to allocate for purchasing a new CB, assuming said CB is of the requisite quality to play for United?

It's not our money. If he'll improve the side, brilliant, get him in. If he won't, I don't want him at the club, regardless of how 'cheap' he might be.
Where is the line drawn, 50m, 100m?

How is it only the Glazers money? Do fans not contribute to the club in way? buying tickets, merchandise, tv subscriptions etc. It might be a small dip in a very large pot, but its no reason to ridiculously overspend on a player who is largely unproven who may improve the team

George Beast

I have seen him play plenty - and the idea of spending £40 million on him is just insane. He simply isn't better than what we have.
Funnily enough some Benfica fan on Reddit who follows United games (because of Jose I guess) said he's not worth £40m but is better than everyone we've got.

SirAF

Ageist
Never watched him play, but if Mourinho likes him that's more than enough for me. Jose's got a really good eye for CBs.

Status
Not open for further replies.