Victor Lindelöf

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacob

Well the positive side is that we get another Swede. Always helps as a Swedish United supporter.

Seems kind of strange now that we have the CB issue sorted with Jones coming into form and Rojo upping his game, Smalling coming back from injury etc.

van Persie

I like him a lot but with Rojones playing so well and having Smalling, Bailly among other players capable of playing centre back already it feels a bit unecessary right now.

But on the other hand, if Mou wants him, with his track record on centre backs, go for it. None better when it comes to that.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
He isnt getting any chances as of now, I don't think he will after we add players in his positions. Mourinho hasn't played him in CM once, just as RB but even there Darmian and Young have played in front of him.
TFM will be fine, he's not going anywhere, just signed a new contract and Mourinho personally stopped from him going on loan early on in the season.
There's nothing to suggest he's out of favour, we've just been through a bad patch where we needed to win games and get back up the table, had we won more games and been in a secure top 4 spot, TFM would probably be getting more of a chance in Europa and League Cup games.

NYAS

I watch him about twice a month, and I know that isn't a lot but what I've found is that he's a very good defender with great potential. The problem is I'm not sure that he's exactly what we need at the back now. Fans will need to be patient with him and understand and keep in mind that he's not the finished article.

There's a tiny part of me that feels he can become another Vidic if everything goes well but he needs to prove himself over a more sustained period of time at the highest level.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
He isnt getting any chances as of now, I don't think he will after we add players in his positions. Mourinho hasn't played him in CM once, just as RB but even there Darmian and Young have played in front of him.
He is 18. Some patience won't hurt.

I think he'll be a CM or RB when he does get his chance too.

Sammyjunn

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
a) he's 18
b) absolutely no chance those 5 CB's will all be here for the forseeable future
c) coaching staff have repeatedly said his future is as a CM
d) if he's good enough he'll force his way into the team regardless
e) boue
I think can't see more than one leaving anytime soon, we have a quite good crop of CB's at the moment and all fight for their chances, one will probably leave because of being too good for the 5th Choice CB.

That's interesting considering I don't really remember him playing in CM for the first team in any game, somewhere on the wing against Zorya though.

I don't think it's only got to do with being good enough, you have to have that extra bit of luck that Rashford had with that Martial injury for example or having really week competition altogether in the attack line last season, Rooney wasn't up for it and Martial was class on the wing, that freed a spot.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Ofcourse, but not if the guy isn't playing any football, he's currently between reserves and first team and gets to play almost nothing because of that, that isn't good for his development at all. If he isn't good enough for the first team then at least play him in the reserves or loan him out.
I thought you meant leave the club on a permanent basis. If you meant loan then fair enough.

AgentP

I haven't really seen him play live but from the YouTube videos, he seems to prefer LCB position. So we'll have Lindelof/Rojo/Blind on the left and Bailly/Smalling/Jones on the right. It seems bit of an overkill but Jones and Rojo have only just started playing well and it is to be seen if they can maintain this level and also stay injury-free. Blind really doesn't seem to be preferred by Jose for the CB position. The comments by Jose about Smalling not playing through the pain seems to suggest that he is not impressed with Smalling either. So I can see Bailly and Lindelof becoming our first choice pair by the start of next season.

Devil may care

2 of which he should end up red carded. Mou is Portuguese and he's somehow has a similar culture to mine. So here's the drill.

a- Defences need stability, stability comes from 4 back four playing together week in week out
b- Mourinho seems even more obsessed about it then the run of the mill Spanish/Portuguese/Italian manager. On top of a stable backline he likes to add a converted CB as full back. He's been doing that for quite some time (Gallas, Chivu, Ramos, Ivanovic etc)
c- For some reason (shitness from our defenders, injury prone players) we fail to have a regular back four. We had been failing to do so for 3 years now

Hence he's adding new people to the defence.
You can't hold 2 possible red card tackles agaisnt a CB and he converted Ramos from RB to CB, not the other way around, Arbeloa was his RB at Real Madrid. He's said time and time again that he is doing things differently at United, playing a CB at FB is that negative shit that wont fly here, also as I said Rojo is garbage at LB so regarldess he shouldn't be used there.

TheSwedeFromSweden

Supports
Zlatan
I haven't really seen him play live but from the YouTube videos, he seems to prefer LCB position. So we'll have Lindelof/Rojo/Blind on the left and Bailly/Smalling/Jones on the right. It seems bit of an overkill but Jones and Rojo have only just started playing well and it is to be seen if they can maintain this level and also stay injury-free. Blind really doesn't seem to be preferred by Jose for the CB position. The comments by Jose about Smalling not playing through the pain seems to suggest that he is not impressed with Smalling either. So I can see Bailly and Lindelof becoming our first choice pair by the start of next season.
It's the opposite. His natural position is RCB, but he's been forced to play LCB because of Luisaos inability to play there.

TheSwedeFromSweden

Supports
Zlatan
Him vs Dynamo Kiev. A poor performance in my mind. A lot of mistakes, bad headers, and he is clearly not as comfortable with the ball when playing as LCB instead of RCB.

United Pro

Ofcourse, but not if the guy isn't playing any football, he's currently between reserves and first team and gets to play almost nothing because of that, that isn't good for his development at all. If he isn't good enough for the first team then at least play him in the reserves or loan him out.
Agreed TFM should be loaned out, if we keep Darmian, as he won't be getting any game time, with the option of an emergency call back if we face an injury crisis.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
You can't hold 2 possible red card tackles agaisnt a CB and he converted Ramos from RB to CB, not the other way around, Arbeloa was his RB at Real Madrid. He's said time and time again that he is doing things differently at United, playing a CB at FB is that negative shit that wont fly here, also as I said Rojo is garbage at LB so regarldess he shouldn't be used there.
Of course I do. 2 red cards could possibly cost us 6 points. How can anyone trust a CB like that?

Anyway if you think that Rojo is garbage as LB who are we (Mou, myself etc) to argue. ;)

Seriously mate, it won't be utilized week in week out. I doubt it would be used at all apart from when we need to shut the door. Think about Rojo coming in instead of Fellaini. Of course you might be right, Rojo might end up proving to be shite as LB as well. In that case he knows were the door is doesn't he?

Devil may care

Of course I do. 2 red cards could possibly cost us 6 points. How can anyone trust a CB like that?

Anyway if you think that Rojo is garbage as LB who are we (Mou, myself etc) to argue. ;)

Seriously mate, it won't be utilized week in week out. I doubt it would be used at all apart from when we need to shut the door. Think about Rojo coming in instead of Fellaini. Of course you might be right, Rojo might end up proving to be shite as LB as well. In that case he knows were the door is doesn't he?
Same way we trusted Vidic after he did get sent off, or the same way people are ignoring Bailly has been just as rash.

:lol: You can't be telling me that you actually think Rojo is acceptable at LB, who would he be shutting the door against? He's worse defensively as a FB than Shaw and Darmian so that sub would never happen. Plus if you are pulling the Mou card then he seems to trust Rojo at CB, he could easily have dropped him after the second two footer.

If Jose thinks like you do and wouldn't trust him as a CB then he should sell him, he's only wasting Rojo's time and the team's chances by playing him at LB.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

Rojo is shit as a LB.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout

Thanks god we never trusted that shite Serbian CB after his red cards.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Thanks god we never trusted that shite Serbian CB after his red cards.
Vidic was consistently a beast for multiple seasons, making the odd red card a non issue.

Rojo has had 5 games at CB and should have walked in 2 of them.

devilish

Same way we trusted Vidic after he did get sent off, or the same way people are ignoring Bailly has been just as rash.

:lol: You can't be telling me that you actually think Rojo is acceptable at LB, who would he be shutting the door against? He's worse defensively as a FB than Shaw and Darmian so that sub would never happen. Plus if you are pulling the Mou card then he seems to trust Rojo at CB, he could easily have dropped him after the second two footer.

If Jose thinks like you do and wouldn't trust him as a CB then he should sell him, he's only wasting Rojo's time and the team's chances by playing him at LB.
Bailly doesn't engage himself in two footed tackles that most of the time end up in red cards.

Look I am being pragmatic here

a- Mou clearly said that Rojo is a LB
b- He's spending 30m+ on a CB despite already having Smalling, Jones, Rojo and Bailly playing there
c- He's selling Schneiderlin (ie which probably means he's moving Blind in CM)
d- Mou loves his converted fullbacks

If it looks like a duck, it swims like a duck, and it quacks like a duck then its probably a duck or at least that's what Mou thinks

If you're asking me what I would do with Rojo well I would probably have him and Jones out of the club as soon as possible while their price is up. Soon enough Jones will return to the treatment room as he always does while we'll encounter a referee who actually does his job. Less cash on these 'prized talent' while we can

Last edited:

devilish

Vidic was consistently a beast for multiple seasons, making the odd red card a non issue.

You won't win against these people. If they think that Rojo is the new Vidic who am I to argue?

We might as well have kept Prunier at the club. After all Duncan Edwards had a bad game once.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Smalling's out

b- He's spending 30m+ on a CB despite already having Smalling, Jones, Rojo and Bailly playing there
It's rather that or mou doesn't really rate smalling, jones, rojo and blind. Whoever thought one of the greatest defensive managers in history who's always built his teams from the defence up would consider upgrading the CB position over three average players, one of whom is not even a CB :rolleyes:

devilish

Smalling's out

It's rather that or mou doesn't really rate smalling, jones, rojo and blind. Whoever thought one of the greatest defensive managers in history who's always built his teams from the defence up would consider upgrading the CB position over three average players, one of whom is not even a CB :rolleyes:
I don't think so. As he said, he doesn't see Rojo and Blind as CB which makes us with 2 less bodies in that area. Bailly is leaving for the African cup and we all know that Jones is injury prone.

What I do think is that Mou is fed up of the merry go round which had been synonmous to our defense in the past years. He want a stable and reliable defence who can play week in week out

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout

You won't win against these people. If they think that Rojo is the new Vidic who am I to argue?

We might as well have kept Prunier at the club. After all Duncan Edwards had a bad game once.
That's exactly what "these people" said, that Rojo is the new Vidic. Rojo has played 12 matches as a CB during the current run. @devilish said that you can’t trust a CB gets sent off twice (he didn’t but should’ve) possibly costing us 6 points. Vidic got sent off a few times. I like the fact that Rojo is aggressive and tough as a CB but yes, he should stop jumping into tackles like that.

Last edited:

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Oh yeah, forgot about the AFCON. Yeah, that's the likeliest explanation. Still think blind and two of rojo/jones/smalling will be sold next summer. Mourinho will want the best he can get in defence.

Devil may care

Bailly doesn't engage himself in two footed tackles that most of the time end up in red cards.

If it looks like a duck, it swims like a duck, and it quacks like a duck then its probably a duck or at least that's what Mou thinks

If you're asking me what I would do with Rojo well I would probably have him and Jones out of the club as soon as possible while their price is up. Soon enough Jones will return to the treatment room as he always does while we'll encounter a referee who actually does his job. Less cash on these 'prized talent' while we can
Bailly could have just has easily seen red for two yellows more than once, the specificity of the tackle is irrelevant and lets face it Jose was a guy content with Ramos who has more red cards than any CB in history. On top of that if we are taking Jose by his word then he sees Blind as a LB, not a CM, in fact he's 3rd choice LB at this stage with even the mediocre Darmian preferred to him. If anything it's far more likely that Blind and Smalling are sold, especially since the latter can only play RCB and is by far our worst CB on the ball.

RB - Valencia/Semedo
RCB - Bailly/Jones
LCB - Lindelof/Rojo
LB - Shaw/New Singing

Status
Not open for further replies.