Victor Lindelöf

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flying_Heckfish

Blind to CDM then?

He's not played there for a while but he can be a poor man's Carrick as @devilish says

- Good at passing
- Can tackle, but prefers to intercept
- Slow as a pet rock

Devil may care

It is relevant because two foot tackles = red card. No ifs no buts. Regarding Blind I have a feeling he'll end up DM at one point. Its his natural position and we'll need bodies there considering that Carrick is old + Schneiderlin, Bastian and in the near future Fellaini might leave. Lets face it, he's the closest thing we've got to Carrick although the gap in terms of talent is pretty evident.

Also if Mou is happy with Rojo's rash tackles then why are we adding a new CB? Why he wants Rojo as far away from the box as possible?

I admit that things change quickly in defense. Last year's hero may end up this year's villian etc. However Smalling has a number of characteristics that Mou likes in a CB. He's tall and powerful a bit like John Terry was. What I am very confident about is Mourinho's determination to have a reliable back 4 who play together for most of the season. Which is fair enough.
We are adding Lindelof to give us two options that are comfortable as a LCB and as for Blind, Jose has shown zero interest in using him in midfield and referred to him as a LB. Basically if he had any intention of playing Blind as the #6 we'd have seen it by now, but instead every time he drops Carrick out he just goes back to 4-2-3-1 rather than use Blind there.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Well he’s got another 20 matches as a CB for us from earlier seasons. No sendings off as of yet.
He wasn't great in those appearances. Hence he cannot be trusted in the long term.

I think you're just arguing for the sake of arguing now.

Infra-red

Where is the line drawn, 50m, 100m?
Why draw an arbitrary line anywhere? What difference does it make, it's all silly monopoly money at this point anyway, none of it ours.

How is it only the Glazers money? Do fans not contribute to the club in way? buying tickets, merchandise, tv subscriptions etc.
You won't be paying anything extra to follow United should Lindelof end up costing £40m rather than £30m; why would the former figure be intolerable while the latter is fine?

It might be a small dip in a very large pot, but its no reason to ridiculously overspend on a player who is largely unproven who may improve the team
It's only an overspend if you pay more than the market rate. The market rate is not overspending. Do you honestly think that if the club could get the player for less money, they wouldn't do it?

I'm entirely comfortable with the Glazers spending whatever money is necessary (short of threatening the financial viability of the club) in order to get the player(s) the manager has identified he wants. The alternative is not spending the money and not getting in the player(s) the manager wants.

Since having the money sitting in a bank account (or being used for whatever other purpose the Glazers decree) is of no benefit to any of us fans whatsoever, and the money being spent has absolutely no negative consequences for us in terms of how much it costs to follow United (while at the same time potentially giving us some enjoyment on the pitch), we really have no reason to worry if the Glazers part with as much of it as possible in acquiring new players.

Ive read the part about the money a lot, but forgetting that since its not really an issue for United, the main question should be "is he good enough for United" or "will he ever be good enough for what United need?"
Precisely.

spenzo

He wasn't great in those appearances. Hence he cannot be trusted in the long term.

To be fair that's not completely true, not at CB at least. Specifically remember in his first season he had a good run of form individually, despite week on week people saying he'd struggle with so and so and he dealt with them. Think you should acknowledge that there are fair few that who did rate Rojo (at CB) before this run of form.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout

No, still arguing that two red card-worthy tackles don’t automatically mean that a CB cannot be trusted. That’s what devilish said.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
We are adding Lindelof to give us two options that are comfortable as a LCB and as for Blind, Jose has shown zero interest in using him in midfield and referred to him as a LB. Basically if he had any intention of playing Blind as the #6 we'd have seen it by now, but instead every time he drops Carrick out he just goes back to 4-2-3-1 rather than use Blind there.
TBF Mou seem to have an obsessions about inches. Most of his signings were above 6ft. Now Carrick is 6ft2. Mourinho tends to either playing him or Fellaini whose a giant. When he goes with a 2 men midfield he opts for Herrera (6ft) and Pogba (6ft3).

It would be interesting to see how we're going to change following this signing. As said before I can see Mou putting Lindelof as CB and Rojo as LB which will grant him three 6ft+ players at the back. Would that be enough for Mourinho not to play Fellaini to add inches in midfield? Could Blind take his place after that? I do not know

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
No, still arguing that two red card-worthy tackles don’t automatically mean that a CB cannot be trusted. That’s what devilish said.
This season he can't. He makes red card challenges 20% of the time which is too fecking much.

To be fair that's not completely true, not at CB at least. Specifically remember in his first season he had a good run of form individually, despite week on week people saying he'd struggle with so and so and he dealt with them. Think you should acknowledge that there are fair few that who did rate Rojo (at CB) before this run of form.
The benchmark is terribly low to suggest he can be trusted as a long term CB based on his debut year appearances, especially considering how well protected he was in a regimental LVG system with two holding midfielders.

VanGaalyTime

Sounds like we're signing Lindelof in the next few days, then. As most have said, you have to trust Mourinho given his track record with defenders. But it does seem as if United are spending a lot for a player that was on the verge of joining Boro just a year ago.

spenzo

This season he can't. He makes red card challenges 20% of the time which is too fecking much.

The benchmark is terribly low to suggest he can be trusted as a long term CB based on his debut year appearances, especially considering how well protected he was in a regimental LVG system with two holding midfielders.
Not quite sure on that stat :lol: I get your doubts, I'm just personally of the opinion that we should see out this season with what we've got and then assess things. I think the sample size of these defenders under Mourinho is too small and that they deserve games as a reward for their form (I know you disagree on Rojo's form).

Last edited:

3KDré

Sounds like we're signing Lindelof in the next few days, then. As most have said, you have to trust Mourinho given his track record with defenders. But it does seem as if United are spending a lot for a player that was on the verge of joining Boro just a year ago.
Lewandowski was about to sign for Blackburn before Dortmund, how does that matter at all?

Devil may care

TBF Mou seem to have an obsessions about inches. Most of his signings were above 6ft. Now Carrick is 6ft2. Mourinho tends to either playing him or Fellaini whose a giant. When he goes with a 2 men midfield he opts for Herrera (6ft) and Pogba (6ft3).

It would be interesting to see how we're going to change following this signing. As said before I can see Mou putting Lindelof as CB and Rojo as LB which will grant him three 6ft+ players at the back. Would that be enough for Mourinho not to play Fellaini to add inches in midfield? Could Blind take his place after that? I do not know
It's weird since this isn't the 1st Division in the 80's but Jose does seem like he's player hunting off a WWE casting audition. We shall see I guess but whatever we think in regards to the various parts of this debaste I stand by one thing, Rojo as a CB or sell him, he's tripe as a LB.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Not quite suree on that stat :lol: I get your doubts, I'm just personally of the opinion that we should see out this season with what we've got and then assess things. I think the sample size of these defenders under Mourinho is too small and that they deserve games as a reward for their form (I know you disagree on Rojo's form).
This season he's had 10 games as a CB under Mourinho in all competitions. He should have walked in 2 of them.

SATA

It's abit worrying that his fellow Swedes here or the Portugese league watchers don't quite rate him , or least for now at his age

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
forget about blind. He's not good
I thought his agent was Mendes?
maybe this guy works for mendes. Or mendes is working as a broker. Either way you know he's involved

luke511

forget about blind. He's not good

maybe this guy works for mendes. Or mendes is working as a broker. Either way you know he's involved
Sorry but he's one of the most intelligent footballers at the club, he would be a great fit for a team like Barca at CB, at least for back up.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Looks like this transfer will indeed be happening. It's tough to assess a defender from highlights and not even that easy from watching them play on TV, so I will trust Mourinho's judgement. He has a good record with defenders and Lindelöf is still very young.

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
Anyone watching the Benfica game?

red4ever 79

Never heard of the guy, never seem him play. A lot of money it seems. Assuming we are not going to splash that for him not to play

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Sorry but he's one of the most intelligent footballers at the club, he would be a great fit for a team like Barca at CB, at least for back up.
No he wouldn't. He's got a good brain, not a great one and he lacks everywhere else. He doesn't have the pace to play LB, doesn't have the positional awareness and decision making to play CB, doesn't have the passing range and quality to play DM

He's just not good enough for a big team

Status
Not open for further replies.