Victor Lindelöf

Status
Not open for further replies.

iKnowNothing

On topic:
I'd be interested in who he replaces in the lineup or whether he is nailed on for a starting spot?
And when he comes in, I wonder if we will let one of Rojo/Jones/Blind will be sold to balance the squad..

Offtopic:
If there is one thing that I love about the Caf, then that's the revisionism that goes around here.

How could anyone tag Carrick as "world class" when we signed him is beyond me. I'm sure half the Caf saw Memphis and Morgan Schneiderlin as the best signings we could have made that season and now a lot of posters would be the first to brand them "useless" :lol:

Footyislife

But actually, it's not.
I still don't get why we would make this move. Smalling, Bailly, Jones, and Rojo have all shown they are capable for us. We have Blind as a backup in cast anyone else gets hurt, plus talented young players like Tuanzebe if everyone gets hurt.

Devil may care

Strange there's no post match comments about this
There was nothing to comment on from the first half really, he is a nice passer of the ball, really crisp with either foot, but he had no defending to do as Benfica were dominant. I switched off before the second half started so maybe he had more defending to do then.

cyberman

There was nothing to comment on from the first half really, he is a nice passer of the ball, really crisp with either foot, but he had no defending to do as Benfica were dominant. I switched off before the second half started so maybe he had more defending to do then.
I meant from the player / manager / official from the club. Even an answer such as 'No comment' would be telling.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I still don't get why we would make this move. Smalling, Bailly, Jones, and Rojo have all shown they are capable for us. We have Blind as a backup in cast anyone else gets hurt, plus talented young players like Tuanzebe if everyone gets hurt.
Mourinho probably wants more than "capable".

ti vu

Isn't that just speculation?
We can't say anything for sure, but it's unreasonable if he has release clause and we pay over that clause for the selling club, when we have to compete in wage offer for the player with other interested clubs.

Redo91

Carrick was already a WC DM/CM when you signed him, he just got even better afterwards. Is Blind a world class DM already? I mean, sure, he might reach that level, but do you think it likely?

I really must have only seen his bad games then :lol: because everytime i saw him at CB, he looked clearly subpar. Dreadful at times

Casemiro is a pure destroyer who only gets to play because we have kroos and modric next to him and 3 forwards with a poor workrate. When even one of those 3 is out, we're actually better off with kovacic in his place. And he IS a truly great destroyer anyways
Absolutely crazy to suggest that Carrick was world class when we signed him. Wasn't even in the top 5 midfielders in the PL at the time so how was he world class? If he was he would have been starting for England at least.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Absolutely crazy to suggest that Carrick was world class when we signed him. Wasn't even in the top 5 midfielders in the PL at the time so how was he world class? If he was he would have been starting for England at least.
Agree with the general point but I wouldn't judge Carrick at all based on how he was used by the English national.

ti vu

Not when he bought him though. Hagreaves was very good during that period. And not to mention it's hard to drop either Lampard or Gerrard during that period.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Carrick has the honour to work with the finest midfielder of his era. Whoever comes at United won't find Scholes to show them the ropes

cazoran07

United need homegrown/english players, I still imagine Rojo would be sold before Smalling.
No we don't ! We need the best to get back to the top I couldn't care if they are from China Brazil or Sweden

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
No we don't ! We need the best to get back to the top I couldn't care if they are from China Brazil or Sweden
We need a certain amount in the squad as per the rules of the league and Europe. Smalling would be kept but I think it'd be over Blind than Rojo as I can't see Blind being Mourinhos long term left back.

ricky-romeo

agree with you on this but if jose sees Lindelof as a player him capable of turning into a world class player then why not. jose's record with signing defenders is pretty good, with the latest being bailly.

The BlackGaijin

I think Jose bought Baily as a partner to Smalling. However, I think he has grown some doubts about Smalling recently and Mourinho does not like to have doubts about his defense. Smalling will not go but his position is not guaranteed any more.

kr0nix

Today's game seemed like a goodbye. Had a good game btw best in a while

His agent has now confirmed that he has a a transfer proposal, but won't reveal the interested club. To add to the rumours... Man Utd was represented at the Stadium Light, although that is pretty common :p

He is my fav Benfica's CB and will be an important loss. Really hate when we weaken the squad mid-season and it has happened almost every year... Matic, David Luiz, Enzo Perez all transfered in January. I'd say there are very good chances this deal will be confirmed

A final note about the price... Anything above 30m€ is fair and will be accepted (welcomed :lol:) by Benfica fans
Any thoughts about the Semedo rumours?

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
Didn't Mourinho say he wasn't going to buy anyone from the Portugese league?
Or was that just for the first summer transfer window?

Hahao

Didn't Mourinho say he wasn't going to buy anyone from the Portugese league?
Or was that just for the first summer transfer window?
I think he said he didnt wanna buy anyone thats Portuguese. Think he said it jokingly if I remember correctly.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
Didn't we have one of the best defences in the league last year?
I that was mainly due to us being so negative and needing De Gea to bail us out in the majority of games. Recently we haven't really been allowing teams to have many shots on goal while also playing a more attacking game

Hahao

With the way Rojo and Jones have been playing and if you add Baily and Smalling to the mix, both capable in their own right, we are going to have a bit of a glut at the CB. Not that its bad to have too much quality at such an important position but just saying.

I would like us to get a world quality RB. Whoever that might be. Valencia has been brilliant in that role but its just that I dont want to see Darmian playing anymore. Just doesnt cut it for me.

RB and DM are our immediate needs. RB can be English. DM most likely no lol.

flappyjay

Sky now saying Man united not close to signing lindelof with more interest in deal shown by Benfica.

Trying to make money off of our backs, my guess is they are pushing for this deal to happen in January because of the 30m summer clause and that they have found someone just as good as him to come in for like 8m. Let's bribe their scouts and get that guy:devil:

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Because you want for your defence to have clear cut first choice players in every position. Smalling, rojo and jones are decent but all have very clear deficiencies (smalling anything on the ball plus some intelligence, rojo being inconsistent and loves 2 footed tackles and probably a bit too small physically for Mou, Jones always being injured). Bailly is the only one who looks like being a starting 11 player with potential to be world class. If Mourinho feels Lindelof has that potential then it makes sense, because that would be our clear partnership. Smalling, jones and rojo will never be long term key players.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Today's game seemed like a goodbye. Had a good game btw best in a while

His agent has now confirmed that he has a a transfer proposal, but won't reveal the interested club. To add to the rumours... Man Utd was represented at the Stadium Light, although that is pretty common :p

He is my fav Benfica's CB and will be an important loss. Really hate when we weaken the squad mid-season and it has happened almost every year... Matic, David Luiz, Enzo Perez all transfered in January. I'd say there are very good chances this deal will be confirmed

A final note about the price... Anything above 30m€ is fair and will be accepted (welcomed :lol:) by Benfica fans
Last sentence, you don't think he's worth the money? Or you need it?

Ekeke

Because you want for your defence to have clear cut first choice players in every position. Smalling, rojo and jones are decent but all have very clear deficiencies (smalling anything on the ball plus some intelligence, rojo being inconsistent and loves 2 footed tackles and probably a bit too small physically for Mou, Jones always being injured). Bailly is the only one who looks like being a starting 11 player with potential to be world class. If Mourinho feels Lindelof has that potential then it makes sense, because that would be our clear partnership. Smalling, jones and rojo will never be long term key players.
Bailly is rash, can be overagressive.

And what makes you think Lindelof doesn't have any weaker areas? Benfica dont have the best defensive record in their league, Porto are very slightly ahead and 3rd best in their champions league group.

Mourinho has made it clear he doesnt pick the players.

Loublaze

ATLien
I don't think Tuanzebe and Williams have a chance under Mourinho. Its sad. I wish he was a bit like LVG when it came to trusting kids. TFM would've got more minutes by now. Its all about building a winning team though with Mourinho. If you're good enough he'll play you but the young players who'll get chances will already have had some first team experience or will be on high salaries (Rashford, Martial). I doubt Rashford would've made any first team appearances if Mourinho was in charge last season. We can thank LVG for that

Fracture90

what the feck?

you make it sound like we have sold Jones Smalling and Rojo already or decided to bench them all to put Eric and Victor starting together come January 1st
I really am not, just saying my mind. If we're paying 40 million for a player that means Mourinho sees him as a starter probably.

Mind sharing how often you've watched this lad play to come to that conclusion?
Couple of games in Primeira and couple in CL.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
I don't think Tuanzebe and Williams have a chance under Mourinho. Its sad. I wish he was a bit like LVG when it came to trusting kids. TFM would've got more minutes by now. Its all about building a winning team though with Mourinho. If you're good enough he'll play you but the young players who'll get chances will already have had some first team experience or will be on high salaries (Rashford, Martial). I doubt Rashford would've made any first team appearances if Mourinho was in charge last season. We can thank LVG for that
Tuanzebe and RoShaun are 19 and 18 respectively, neither have even had a meaningful loan yet, there's no reason they should be anywhere near our first team squad yet.

TFM has signed a new deal with us, I'm fairly confident he's in Jose's plans, it won't be at CB though, he'll probably grow to be an option in midfield and will be used in a similar way to Loftus-cheek.

Fracture90

So you have no meaningful basis to make that judgement then.
Really? Not sure if you're aware of the fact that the lad just started playing constantly in first team this season. He's got maybe 30 appearances for Benfica, not like he's on 100 apps already.

Status
Not open for further replies.