Victor Mugabe Wanyama

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drifter

American
What does that even mean
Exactly what as been pointed out,I think he would be a great signing,the only thing going against him maybe the Africa Cup of Nations.But Kenya are not that good,so no guarantee in them qualifying or passing the first round.

Devil may care

This would only make sense if it is confirmed that Fletcher can't get back as a regular squad player.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Why? Wanyama might have the potential to be much more than a squad player. Why would we have to wait to buy a midfielder before we see what happens with Fletcher when we've had midfild issues for 3 years running at least.

Rowem

gently, down the stream
This would only make sense if it is confirmed that Fletcher can't get back as a regular squad player.
Wanyama must be nearly 10 years younger than Fletcher. It makes much more sense to get a young understudy/competitor than to buy a 26 year old player in the same mould. Plus if Fletcher does make a comeback he might be less energetic than before and play more of a sitting role.

Devil may care

Why? Wanyama might have the potential to be much more than a squad player. Why would we have to wait to buy a midfielder before we see what happens with Fletcher when we've had midfild issues for 3 years running at least.
Wanyama must be nearly 10 years younger than Fletcher. It makes much more sense to get a young understudy/competitor than to buy a 26 year old player in the same mould. Plus if Fletcher does make a comeback he might be less energetic than before and play more of a sitting role.
I wasn't suggesting we don't buy a CM to partner Carrick, I just don't think we need to cover him with a new buy IF Darren can make a full time return. He's a smart player who was already adapting to more of a holding role this season to accommodate his physical changes.

ricky-romeo

watched videos of wanyama and i've got to say he is a decent passer of the ball. his game is not just about his size and strength.

Sarni

I wasn't suggesting we don't buy a CM to partner Carrick, I just don't think we need to cover him with a new buy IF Darren can make a full time return. He's a smart player who was already adapting to more of a holding role this season to accommodate his physical changes.
It's a far fetched idea that Fletcher will return to football, let alone at a level good enough to play for United. He's not played seriously for 2 years and is just coming back from a serious illness, I wouldn't like us to count on his return in terms of providing back-up for Carrick. We did that this season and had to rely on Carrick in every single game. Now imagine Carrick gets injured and is sidelined for 2-3 months at the beginning of next season - we'd be out of running in the league by December.

Rowem

gently, down the stream
Im confused. Wanyama is nothing like Carrick! I think they'd make a strong partnership.

ciderman9000000

Fantasy table... Typical.

Congrats. You live up to the stereotype. Again. :lol:
I can't believe that the fantasy table has United finishing in 6th place!

I'm fecking sick of this Moyes fella already; get a proper manager in who can finish above 6th in the scousaginarium of doctor Dumbstar or else I'm burning my Ronaldo shirt and turning my back on football for good!

Sarni

As every season ends and another one is looming, you can be sure that Dumbstar, petestorey and GlastonSpur are going to make obsene predictions about United falling short and their clubs challenging. They go about it in a different manner but it all comes down to the same old shit. Every season is a blank page etc., and then it all goes the same and we're out of their sight by December (October in Liverpool's case really).

Brightonian

Im confused. Wanyama is nothing like Carrick! I think they'd make a strong partnership.
Not in style but in role within the team. Wanyama would come here as back-up to Carrick except for very defensive set-ups in the most difficult games.

Rowem

gently, down the stream
Well yeah, he'd be a great option then.

I also think a ball winner would be useful not only as a defensive tactic. A lot of games this season we have been on the back foot at times especially in the 2nd half. Plus SAF liked to have wingers providing workrate and stability. A second solid midfieldet next to Carrick would allow the wingers more freedom to attack with less defensive duty. And lastly, his passing is supposedly pretty good too.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Well yeah, he'd be a great option then.

I also think a ball winner would be useful not only as a defensive tactic. A lot of games this season we have been on the back foot at times especially in the 2nd half. Plus SAF liked to have wingers providing workrate and stability. A second solid midfieldet next to Carrick would allow the wingers more freedom to attack with less defensive duty. And lastly, his passing is supposedly pretty good too.
I agree, he'll give us options.

Devil may care

It's a far fetched idea that Fletcher will return to football, let alone at a level good enough to play for United. He's not played seriously for 2 years and is just coming back from a serious illness, I wouldn't like us to count on his return in terms of providing back-up for Carrick. We did that this season and had to rely on Carrick in every single game. Now imagine Carrick gets injured and is sidelined for 2-3 months at the beginning of next season - we'd be out of running in the league by December.
That's why I stressed IF as regards Fletcher's fitness, if he has a full and healthy pre-season then I think we'll bank on him as opposed to buying a replacement.

He's a more defensive midfielder, he plays the role in a different manner to Carrick but his strength lies deeper just the same. Carrick's best two partnerships have been with Scholes and Giggs, creative passers who can get the play up to our #10/second striker, I think we need someone in that mold so Rooney or Kagawa don't have to drop so deep to get the ball.

Rowem

gently, down the stream
I always thought the Carrick - Fletcher combo was underrated.

Shark

@NotShark
He'd be a great signing if Fletcher was to leave. By the look of him, he's got a fantastic engine and could be a real presence in the middle of the park.

Sixpence

Erroneously Promoted
He's a brilliant player, too good to be in Scottish football. He'd be a first choice player for us and would be perfect next to Carrick.

Erentz

Knows everything! 5 years later.
I for one would be pretty disappointed if we signed him, I just don't think he's good enough, I feel the same about Strootman as well. There's much better players out there who're available imo.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
I for one would be pretty disappointed if we signed him, I just don't think he's good enough, I feel the same about Strootman as well. There's much better players out there who're available imo.
Such as...?

Sixpence

Erroneously Promoted
Have you seen much of him? Love to hear the opinion of some Celtic supporters/regular viewers.
I've seen most Celtic league games this season as I do hold a bit of a soft spot for them and seen all of their CL games too and he's been great this season, particularly second half. Of course you never know how a player will adapt to the Prem coming from Scotland as the difference in quality is a chasm, that's my worry about him. Maybe we'd prefer a Prem proven player.

He is just what we need, we've been calling for one of these strong powerful athletic midfield players for a while. People have compared him to Tiote in this thread, but he's miles better and has loads more to his game than him. He tackles really well because he was primarily a centre back in the early days, but he's become so good in midfield he has rarely played there. He does the usual holding midfield things as well as anyone, but he's got good vision going forward spotting a pass and can play a through ball as good as anyone. His timing of tackle along with his physicality are probably his best assets although he can shoot from distance and as everyone knows, he's a threat aerially in the box which is always a bonus.

The main thing that excites me about him and makes me think he'd be right for us is that he is going to get better and better, he's still a little raw but you forget he's only 21.

Just seems a United type of player to me, affordable and his potential is massive. He's won a few things in Scotland which can only help and he's got Champions League experience. I'm a bit biased but he ticks all the boxes for me, a real United signing.

Sixpence

Erroneously Promoted
He'd be a great signing if Fletcher was to leave. By the look of him, he's got a fantastic engine and could be a real presence in the middle of the park.
Engine and a half, he's a monster. I don't really want to say who he reminds me of as it's such a cliche, but it's so true. This guy could be our Yaya Toure. I've seen him do the things that Toure does, bully people and ragdoll them as he goes forward and basically be physically unstoppable on a football pitch. I think he could go toe-to-toe with Toure in a midfield battle.

If we signed him I would be so happy because his potential is frightening, but I say he seems a United player, he also seems an Arsenal type player and you can bet your life that Wenger knows all about him and has monitored him for years, so he'd be great in the Arsenal team too.

Status
Not open for further replies.