Victor Mugabe Wanyama

Status
Not open for further replies.

Erentz

Knows everything! 5 years later.
I've seen most Celtic league games this season as I do hold a bit of a soft spot for them and seen all of their CL games too and he's been great this season, particularly second half. Of course you never know how a player will adapt to the Prem coming from Scotland as the difference in quality is a chasm, that's my worry about him. Maybe we'd prefer a Prem proven player.

He is just what we need, we've been calling for one of these s for a while. People have compared him to Tiote in this thread, but he's miles better and has loads more to his game than him. He tackles really well because he was primarily a centre back in the early days, but he's become so good in midfield he has rarely played there. He does the usual holding midfield things as well as anyone, but he's got good vision going forward spotting a pass and can play a through ball as good as anyone. His timing of tackle along with his physicality are probably his best assets although he can shoot from distance and as everyone knows, he's a threat aerially in the box which is always a bonus.

The main thing that excites me about him and makes me think he'd be right for us is that he is going to get better and better, he's still a little raw but you forget he's only 21.

Just seems a United type of player to me, affordable and his potential is massive. He's won a few things in Scotland which can only help and he's got Champions League experience. I'm a bit biased but he ticks all the boxes for me, a real United signing.
The most terrifying phrase when discussing a potential signing. I don't agree about us needing a "strong powerful athletic midfield player" either, I think we need mobile, technically excellent players who can press aggressively. I hate the obsession with size and power.

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
The most terrifying phrase when discussing a potential signing. I don't agree about us needing a "strong powerful athletic midfield player" either, I think we need mobile, technically excellent players who can press aggressively. I hate the obsession with size and power.
Doubt you've ever watched Wanyama if you don't think he's mobile or technically good enough for the PL.

I appreciate that PL fans are always cautious when discussing SPL players but every so often there'll be a player in Scotland who actually is destined for bigger things or more than capable to hold his own in England (Larsson for example). He isn't at Celtic because that's his level. He's at Celtic because our policy for the foreseeable future is to find young, unknown gems and sell them on for large profits.

Sixpence

Erroneously Promoted
The obsession with small technically gifted midfielders is even worse. Physicality is just as important. Wanyama helped stop the most famous group of small technical midfield players on the planet don't forget.

Giggsforever

This would only make sense if it is confirmed that Fletcher can't get back as a regular squad player.
One thing is for sure, you can't plan ahead with Fletcher in mind. You have to plan without him and take it as a bonus if he is back fit.

Gabe

Doubt you've ever watched Wanyama if you don't think he's mobile or technically good enough for the PL.

I appreciate that PL fans are always cautious when discussing SPL players but every so often there'll be a player in Scotland who actually is destined for bigger things or more than capable to hold his own in England (Larsson for example). He isn't at Celtic because that's his level. He's at Celtic because our policy for the foreseeable future is to find young, unknown gems and sell them on for large profits.
Good player.
The downside to african players is their international duty, really disruptive.

Dante

Average bang
Kenya haven't qualified for any of the last 5 tournaments to be fair, and only played in one of the last 11 (in 2004 when they got knocked out in the first round).

They're the Scotland of African football.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
I do find it incredible that he's only 21. When I've watched him, I kept believing that he was an experienced individual who's been around for a while - but he's only 21!

I think there's a lot of Toure about him. He can glide past players quite easily despite his size, and I was surprised to see that he doesn't lack in technique what so ever.

I'd love to have him on board. Not sure if I'd want him ahead of Strootman though.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
His critics on here are forgetting a few things about him.

First of all, he is not the flashy type of midfield playmaker that everything wants. Second, he is primarily a defensive midfield and his main job is to stifle attacks and prevent opponents from creating chances in the middle of the park. He is there to break up play and maybe start counter attacks. His role is similar to Carrick's and he would be a perfect replacement. Carrick however, has added the playmaking ability to his forte and thus has enhanced his game. But Wanyama has plenty of time to do that since he is a decade younger. Third, he is only 21 with so much potential. He is exactly the type of the player we should be signing - young, one for the future, strong, physical and has a good work rate. He is the one who does the 'dirty work' for your teamwork. And that doesnt necessarily mean he puts in those nasty tackles. He is the one running around harassing opponents and trying to get the ball back for your team. And added to all this is the extra factor that we dont need to worry about ACN since Kenya barely qualifies for the tournament.

His performance against Barca was very good and was rightfully noticed. People always say "oh thats only one performance". They need to realize that good players deliver in the big games and also this is one of his performances that was actually noticed by everyone since it was against Barca. Think about the performances he puts in weekly that goes unnoticed since he plays someone like Hiberian or St. Mirren.

Here is his Barca performance. As you can see there is nothing flashy or Scholesque about it but he gets the job done. The amount of times he harassed the Barca players was important. He did not give them time on the ball and he is on them as soon as they received the ball to get stuck in and close them down. It was an admirable performance from a 21 year old against one of Europe's elite. He is strong not only off the ball but also on the ball and he doesnt give away possession every easily, which is something very important for a player playing in that area of the park. The little things that he does ends up counting for the team in a big way.

RDCR07

I disagree. I think having a strong, powerful player is an added bonus for any team. Two good examples in the premier league are Diame for West Ham and Toure for City. These two are strong on and off the ball and cause a lot of trouble for the opponents with their mobility.

Stopped from doing what exactly? Having more than 75% possession?
Its Barca ffs. You cant have more possession than them no matter what. That is how they play and so what even if they had 75% of the possession (which clearly they didnt)? I mean possession is not everything and as I recall they lost the game.

Devil may care

One thing is for sure, you can't plan ahead with Fletcher in mind. You have to plan without him and take it as a bonus if he is back fit.
It's trickier now as well with the squad limit, I don't know if we can keep a place open if he's not ready by August.

RDCR07

Great signing for them. Would have liked us to have got him. At £10-12m, he is cheaper than Strootman.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Top signing for them, if so. I heard Cardiff were interested too.

What happened to all the top tier clubs who were interested? Our men even went to watch him a few times, didn't we?

Ekeke

Well its not confirmed, but if it happens... We may not have been watching him or we werent convinced? Same with the others?

Aint gota Kalou

Looking forward to watching him next season, not seen much of him before. Cork and Schneiderlin built up a very good partnership last season so I'm not sure which one he'll displace.

Ekeke

Cork for sure. Schneiderlin was their player of the season for good reason, never been impressed with Cork

Drifter

American
Think he would have done a job for us.Oh well it's Southamptons gain.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
So Southampton will play with two defensive minded midfielders next year? Never thought Schneiderlin was creative.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Not to the standard of Schneiderlin/Wanyama though, who are much better defensively and much more defensive in comparison, plus probably less creative. So one of the two would need to step up creatively if played together as although they have people like Ramirez/Lallana etc., it might not be enough.

Ekeke

Not to the standard of Schneiderlin/Wanyama though, who are much better defensively and much more defensive in comparison, plus probably less creative. So one of the two would need to step up creatively if played together as although they have people like Ramirez/Lallana etc., it might not be enough.
Cork made exactly the same amount of key passes as Schneiderlin. Exactly the same average amount of passes, but with Schneiderlin having a slightly higher completion %. Schneiderlin also completed more long balls on average. Yes Schneiderlin did outclass him defensively, but that doesn't mean that Cork wasn't another sitting player who creates more than him. He doesnt. He's another sitting, defensive player who just isnt anywhere near as good.

Drifter

American
Sky Sports understands Celtic have accepted a bid from Southampton for Victor Wanyama, but personal terms have not been agreed.
The Saints are hoping to pip a number of their Premier League rivals to the 21-year-old's signature, with interest in his services having mounted steadily.
They have, however, seen the highly-rated midfielder snub their first contract proposal.
Wanyama has admitted that he turned down the initial proposal from St Mary's and revealed that he is prepared to listen to offers from other sides now that Celtic have opened the exit door.
"While the bid was okay for Celtic, the terms were not right for myself and my agent," he said in the Southern Daily Echo.
"I am open to what offers are made, but I am relaxed and it's important that Celtic are happy too."
Cardiff City are reportedly ready to jump to the front of the transfer queue as they step up their search for new recruits, while Stoke City and Liverpool continue to watch events unfold.

Come on Moyes,you know it makes sense.

OGkush

Hey man, got any papers?
if it's true and Cardiff do get his signature (along with Ince's) then I think they're already have way there (avoiding relegation) before the season even began.
Not that they're world beaters but would be very good acquisitions and both would only continue to get better.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Cork made exactly the same amount of key passes as Schneiderlin. Exactly the same average amount of passes, but with Schneiderlin having a slightly higher completion %. Schneiderlin also completed more long balls on average. Yes Schneiderlin did outclass him defensively, but that doesn't mean that Cork wasn't another sitting player who creates more than him. He doesnt. He's another sitting, defensive player who just isnt anywhere near as good.
My point was that Cork, even as inferior defensively is still probably more creative than Wanyama who in turn, is way better defensively. It will probably benefit them though. A solid midfield will ensure they won't be relegated as their front 4 is exciting and has goals in them.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
He'll be a very good signing for Southampton. I wasn't quite sure if he was going to develop into being good enough to regularly play for United, but he's undoubtedly PL quality and is only going to get better. It's a lot of money but they'll get a lot out of him.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
Would love to see him in the PL, to be honest I was keen on Arsenal signing him. But having said that I came to that opinion based on only limited CL viewing.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
He's apparently had a moan about not being able to join QPR a year ago on the basis that he missed out on £1m wages.

I think that says a lot about his character considering how QPR's season turned out.

Drifter

American
Celtic midfielder Joe Ledley has tipped Victor Wanyama to be a huge success if he moves to the Premier League.

Wanyama has been linked with a summer move to the likes of Cardiff and Southampton but Ledley believes the player who joined from Belgian club Beerschot for £900,000 two years ago could secure an even bigger move.

"He can play for a top team in the Premier League easily," Ledley told the Daily Record.

"He's got great potential and if he can get to a top club it would be fantastic to go up against him in the Champions League in the future.

"Anyone who saw him in that competition last year will know how good he is.

"There will be pressure on Victor going down there, especially with the price-tag. But it will be a stroll in the park for him as it will suit the way he plays.

"I'm surprised none of the top clubs have come in for him but it's early days in the transfer window."

He added: "The Celtic fans know how good Victor is and realise we got him at a steal.

"He's been great but it looks like he'll continue his career somewhere else now.

"I knew straight away we had a special player on our hands and now he might break the Scottish transfer record if he goes.

"You could see how mature he was for his age and how composed on the ball he was. Nothing fazes him."

Celtic have slapped a £12million price-tag on the 22-year-old Kenya international but that is unlikely to deter Premier League clubs from making their move.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
The Kenyan Football Federation have came out and said he has signed for Southampton.

Sixpence

Erroneously Promoted
This guy is going to tear shit up in the Premier League. Cannot believe Southampton have got him. We should have been in for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.