Victor Mugabe Wanyama

Status
Not open for further replies.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Well I don't believe it. We don't sign midfielders!

Anyway, reliable sources mate?

McGeady10

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
Without sounding like I'm stereotyping, I've always felt we would improve our squad if we had some serious 'African' power. 6 Foot 2, built like a heavyweight but obviously with some footballing ability.

We've been in the market for this kind of player before (Mikel, Essien, Diarra and there were even 'rumours' about Makelele when he was having rifts with the Madrid hierarchy), but it's never materialised. I've not seen a lot of Wanyama so couldn't cast a verdict but I certainly believe that type of player adds a completely different dimension to the squad which could be useful. I'm sure with youth on his side, he can develop more footballing ability to add to his defensive capabilities whilst becoming cleaner and smoother when putting a foot in.

I'm sure someone will correct me and say he's shit, and we should be looking to sign De Rossi or one of the Benders.

An Irish Red

Andrea Pirlo said:
"There is a calmness about Wanyama where he plays the right pass and does the simple things well under pressure. He has the attributes of a young Patrick Vieira.

He is big and can be a presence in the middle with his tackling. You can see why big European clubs have shown an interest in him.”
If he's good enough for Pirlo...

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
Without sounding like I'm stereotyping, I've always felt we would improve our squad if we had some serious 'African' power. 6 Foot 2, built like a heavyweight but obviously with some footballing ability.
Same here. I've always thought these African footballers bring with them lots of power and athleticism, something I think we need at times in our midfield. Obviously he has to be good at football as well else he'll end up being the next Djemba twins.

Ringo 07

SAF has been up at Celtic speaking to Lennon. That much is fact. (http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/dec/21/neil-lennon-interview-alex-ferguson)

Very strange that nobody has been in for Wanyama this window as he'd be an ideal guy to bring into any struggling Premiership side...

Kind of points towards a deal already being tied up.

Well just so you know.....That Guardian article says that Fergie and Lennon met up in Glasgow 6 months ago last August!!!

Wanyama could be a great addition to have in the squad but I doubt any fan on this forum has a clue whether he is technically gifted enough to play at a higher level and has the ability to pass quickly in much tighter spaces etc. He would be great cover for Cleverley and Carrick but...............Fergie was talking to Guardiola in New York recently which equated to Guardiola being nailed on to take over from Fergie this summer!!! Didn't quite happen. And the fact that Fergie is from Glasgow would mean that he would obviously visit there frequently!!

Nate Dogg

Don't Make Me Angry

Anna_Livia

A jumped up pantry bhoy, who never knew his place.
For 10 mil... seems very worthy of a punt...

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/blog/_/name/onthemove/id/4098?cc=5739

06:55 GMT: The Independent says Arsene Wenger could make a move for Celtic's Victor Wanyama in an attempt to bolster Arsenal's midfield. The Bhoys' asking price of £10m could scare Wenger off, although Wanyama's wage demands are relatively low.

Celtic will be after more than £10m, especially with both Arsenal and United interested. I'd reckon £12m would be a minimum, and if he plays well against Juve that might creep towards £15m.

He's very good.

Ekeke

We've been in the market for this kind of player before (Mikel, Essien, Diarra and there were even 'rumours' about Makelele when he was having rifts with the Madrid hierarchy), but it's never materialised. I've not seen a lot of Wanyama so couldn't cast a verdict but I certainly believe that type of player adds a completely different dimension to the squad which could be useful. I'm sure with youth on his side, he can develop more footballing ability to add to his defensive capabilities whilst becoming cleaner and smoother when putting a foot in.

I'm sure someone will correct me and say he's shit, and we should be looking to sign De Rossi or one of the Benders.
Well you must be stereotyping as Essien is 5'10, Makelele was tiny at 5'7, Diarra 6'0 and arguably not with good footballing ability.

One of the Benders would probably eat them for lunch anyway

backofthenet

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
He's not the messiah... he's a very naughty boy
Not for me.
Diame is big and powerful, like Wanyama, but also proven in the league and looked a bloody handful against us both times we've played West Ham and he's been in the side.

The big downside of course is that he's likely to keel over at any point cos of a dodgy ticker.

I've not seen Wanyama play much, other than brief highlights, and the backs to the wall games against Barca, but I would love to see how he got on in the premier league before we take a punt on him. There's no guarantee he wouldn't be found out technically. Unfortunately his profile is such that only the big boys would be able to afford the megabucks Celtic are likely to demand.

Forevergiggs

Does he enough ball skills to be successful regularly in a United midfield two? I have my doubts from the bits I have seen of him.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
Well you must be stereotyping as Essien is 5'10, Makelele was tiny at 5'7, Diarra 6'0 and arguably not with good footballing ability.

One of the Benders would probably eat them for lunch anyway
And despite their specific height were these players not seriously powerful individuals who at the best were decent players (well Diarra can be excluded and we clearly dodged a bullet).

'twas more a comment of the obvious athleticism players with African descent tend to bring (look at Evra and Welbeck) as opposed to their recorded height and muscle to power ratios!

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.

Djemba Djemba

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
Ferguson was at the game tonight so I imagine this is who he was looking at. Wanyama played well and scored.

Cevno

From the 3/4 games, i have seen he seems decent technically too.

Someone probably will take a punt in the summer.

Sixpence

Erroneously Promoted
From what I've seen of him last season and this, I think he's an all around good player, great tenacity, strength, good in the air, he can pass and can shoot from range. He's got way more to his game than the people he's been compared to on here such as Tiote and Diarra, way more. His passing and weight of passing is very good and he can play the killer pass when he moves forward. He's all action, but it's always difficult to say whether he'd be a success in the Prem. As such, if we are looking for a good all around midfield player in this mould I'd go a Prem proven player in Fellaini.

If he's going around for as little as £12m then someone is going to get a good bargain.

Cevno

From what i have seen Wanyama is better than Fellaini defensively probably. His instincts and tackling are better.

Fellaini is better attacking wise and proven in the league, but don't know what role can he play for us. Would be a good option to have for his utility value.

Smores

If we end up signing this type of player before the window closes then as far as I'm concerned or squad would be complete.

This team has so much potential. Whoever inherits it will be a lucky bastard

Status
Not open for further replies.