Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob Loblaw

Supports
Liverpool
oh ok then. Serious revisionism on the caf of late.

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/victor-valdes.254288/
Well done for reducing your argument to a blooper reel. Could make one for every keeper who's been around as long as Valdés has.

He was error prone in his earlier years but over the past few seasons before his injury he was outstanding. That's not revisionism, and I'm not sure why I'd revise my opinion once a player signs for Man Utd...

Decotron

Well done for reducing your argument to a blooper reel. Could make one for every keeper who's been around as long as Valdés has.

He was error prone in his earlier years but over the past few seasons before his injury he was outstanding. That's not revisionism, and I'm not sure why I'd revise my opinion once a player signs for Man Utd...
2-3 seasons at a high level (especially for a goalkeeper) out of a whole career doesn't make him near the best in the world. Thats my argument.

sizzling sausages

Thinks TBP is a soft tagline whore
Scout
2-3 seasons at a high level (especially for a goalkeeper) out of a whole career doesn't make him near the best in the world. Thats my argument.
So if he was playing at a higher level than Buffon at the time (which he was imo), you'd still rate Buffon higher than him because Buffon was playing at a high level for a longer period? He was one of the best at the time because there wasn't that many top keepers around (De Gea and Courtois were still really young and weren't at their current levels, Buffon and Casillas were on the decline).

Does for De Gea and Courtois though?
It's a different situation for them and Valdes to be fair, they're both still at the start of their careers relatively, while Valdes was in his prime at the time.

Bob Loblaw

Supports
Liverpool
That's a stupid argument. Someone saying Valdés being near the best in the world clearly means at one point in his career, not over his whole career.

Decotron

That's a stupid argument. Someone saying Valdés being near the best in the world clearly means at one point in his career, not over his whole career.
Obviously every keeper has a blooper reel etc but the amount of high profile games where Valdes has made mistakes stops hims from being in the top bracket imo

The best goalkeepers in the world over my lifetime win matches for their teams more than they lose them. Mistakes against Liverpool in Nou Camp, Drogba in Stanford Bridge spring to mind with Valdes straight away....

1min 52secs

sizzling sausages

Thinks TBP is a soft tagline whore
Scout
Obviously every keeper has a blooper reel etc but the amount of high profile games where Valdes has made mistakes stops hims from being in the top bracket imo

The best goalkeepers in the world over my lifetime win matches for their teams more than they lose them. Mistakes against Liverpool in Nou Camp, Drogba in Stanford Bridge spring to mind with Valdes straight away....

1min 52secs

This is what he was doing before his injury.

prarek

Regardless of how highly or poorly you rate Valdes i don't think anyone can deny how immense he was for Barcelona last season. Unless you have no idea what you're talking about (not aimed at anyone in particular :p). Talk to any of the faithful la liga followers and this would be a general opinion. Be fair, don't judge on just a few CL/classico/cup games you might have seen or just based on hearsay popular opinion as was with Ibrahimovic who many felt was overrated for a long time and their sample base was just a handful of games against english opposition.

Also for a backup goalie only Cech is better than him. AND we got him for free..

Ibi Dreams

Could also include the goal Gibson scored against Schalke when Neuer was there, Gibson hit it right at him and he palmed it into the post and in. Shite keeping.

LR7

I refuse to believe people could have watched him last season before the injury and not think he was bordering the best in the world (if not the best).

He was immense.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I refuse to believe people could have watched him last season before the injury and not think he was bordering the best in the world (if not the best).

He was immense.
Bit baffled myself. Usually agree with everything @Decotron posts too. In his last season (maybe two last seasons?) before that injury Valdes really seemed to step up a level and was clearly one of the very best keepers around. Outstanding with his feet, a great shot-stopper, quick off his line and very strong in one v one. Possibly not the most dominant under a high ball but don't remember many teams taking any advantage of that.

red_devil83

You'd think if DDG was leaving, we'd want to at least play Valdes in 2 or 3 games to see how he fits in

ZDwyr

You'd think if DDG was leaving, we'd want to at least play Valdes in 2 or 3 games to see how he fits in
Not necessarily. If De Gea does leave then you would assume Valdes would have a whole pre-season of games to fit in. Plus he knows van Gaal quite well so would understand the way he wants to play.

thejtrain

I rate him very highly (of course most would, I believe) and I would love him to be our GK next season should DaDeGea leave.

Raw

I sure hope people aren't blaming him for the goal.

One thing I noticed immediately was that his distribution pales in comparison to De Gea's. I guess you can say that about a lot of keepers.

ThanksBoss26

I don't think today is the time to judge him on anything, given he was thrown in and has had no competitive football for ages.

Looks like he'll get a start next week with De Gea's injury.

Bob Loblaw

Supports
Liverpool
I sure hope people aren't blaming him for the goal.

One thing I noticed immediately was that his distribution pales in comparison to De Gea's. I guess you can say that about a lot of keepers.
Neville was, stupidly.

His distribution was immense at Barcelona by the way, probably just rusty.

Irrational.

I don't think VV was ever bought with the intention of him being #1. We'll still sign another keeper to play ahead of him if DDG leaves.

Didn't have any time to warm up today and I don't think we can judge him from part of a game, but even after watching some performances from the reserves he doesn't fill me with confidence yet. Distribution was a bit off in the short time he was playing.

SirAF

Ageist
He wasn't really damning in his criticism in fairness, but did say he should have done better when I think that's expecting too much.
I see. Well, there wasn't much that Valdes could to there I think.

Acole9

Outstanding
Neville couldn't wait to blame him for the goal could he? Embarrassing he should know better after all the stick De Gea got a few years back. He misjudged the flight and direction of the ball, it could've happened to any goalkeeper.

Ekeke

He comitted way too early, thats why he was caught out near post. He's been just as unconvincing in the reserves, some questionable goals let in. He's in a similar situation to Falcao, used to be good but needs to show he can still be good after his injury. Doesnt look close

Status
Not open for further replies.