Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Roboc7

I am sure at this stage of his career he doesn't want to be sitting on the bench so either de gea will see out the last year of his contract or vales has been told we will sign someone else as our new number one.

ghagua

Probably been told that even if De Gea leaves, we'll be getting a new number 1 in, so probably looking for a new club.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
I found it strange that he joined in the first place. Seems a nice enough guy and clearly is a talented player...but he can do better than United's bench. He should be playing every game for someone while he can.

ZDwyr

I found it strange that he joined in the first place. Seems a nice enough guy and clearly is a talented player...but he can do better than United's bench. He should be playing every game for someone while he can.
Maybe he joined thinking he would be #1 when De Gea left, but after watching him train and play van Gaal isn't convinced about him.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I believe that it was all planned out a year ago. We will give Valdes the treatment only a top club can give and he will end up leaving for a fee

Siorac

Good decision. I don't mind that we gave him the treatment and the opportunity to recover from a serious injury at a top club but he should never be considered to be our number one. He should do fine in Turkey or some similar league.

ottosec

He must be leaving for sure. Even if he wasn't going to be no. 1 after De Gea, he would still be a better no. 2 than Anders or Johnstone.

Most likely he was told that ha isn't going to be no.1 even if DDG leaves and he decided to go somewhere where he will be.

Dans

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
So if he's apparently not good enough for us and he's off, we either have someone lined up to replace him, who's currently a no 1 and will be our no 1 too, which suggests De Gea's departure is expected (in which case who is the mystery keeper we are bringing in?), or we have a no 2 lined up who'll back up De Gea and eventually take over (can't see that happening - Begovic has gone already) or we are 100% sure not to sell De Gea and we'll back him up with Lindegaard for this season before they both go, leaving us to go after Lloris next summer.

Jev

Good decision. I don't mind that we gave him the treatment and the opportunity to recover from a serious injury at a top club but he should never be considered to be our number one. He should do fine in Turkey or some similar league.
Why not, though? If he rediscovers his old level he's better than any realistic transfer target.

Siorac

Why not, though? If he rediscovers his old level he's better than any realistic transfer target.
He really isn't. He was never world class, except maybe on one on one situations. He also had a very serious injury and he's 33; it would be an insane gamble to make him first choice.

I'd rather have Lloris or some young keeper with potential. I'd even have Begovic ahead of him but now he's unavailable of course.

syrian_scholes

Honorary Straw Hat
He really isn't. He was never world class, except maybe on one on one situations. He also had a very serious injury and he's 33; it would be an insane gamble to make him first choice.

I'd rather have Lloris or some young keeper with potential. I'd even have Begovic ahead of him but now he's unavailable of course.
You do know that VDS was 34 when he joined United right? 33 is still young for a keeper.

Jev

I didn't rate him that highly for many years but during his latter years at Barca he had definitely developed into a top-class goalkeeper. At least on par with Lloris and much, much, much better than Asmir Begovic. Are you saying that Begovic is better than Valdes ever was?

I have previously advocated buying Begovic as a fall-back option. We could then start Valdes and give him a chance at rediscovering his old form, and if that doesn't work, Begovic would be a perfectly decent plan B. I just think it's a waste to spend 25-30 million on a new goalkeeper when we have a potential top-class keeper already in the squad.

Siorac

I didn't rate him that highly for many years but during his latter years at Barca he had definitely developed into a top-class goalkeeper. At least on par with Lloris and much, much, much better than Asmir Begovic. Are you saying that Begovic is better than Valdes ever was?

I have previously advocated buying Begovic as a fall-back option. We could then start Valdes and give him a chance at rediscovering his old form, and if that doesn't work, Begovic would be a perfectly decent plan B. I just think it's a waste to spend 25-30 million on a new goalkeeper when we have a potential top-class keeper already in the squad.
No, but he doesn't come off the back of a career-threatening injury and thus he would have been less of a gamble.

Just like Benteke would have been a safer bet than Falcao even though Falcao was miles ahead of Benteke at his peak. Not that I want Benteke but that's not the point.

Siorac

You do know that VDS was 34 when he joined United right? 33 is still young for a keeper.
But he didn't tear his anterior cruciate ligament at the age of 33. The older you are, the harder it is to recover from injuries like that.

EDIT: Also, not everyone is VdS. Look at how quickly Casillas declined and he's 34...

settembrini

I like this development.

Never understood why so many thought he should replace De Gea, it would have been a massive downgrade on our best player. Don't mind him as a back-up but I was happy with Lindegaard in that role and we don't need both.

izec

I would have given him a pre season. Surprised, maybe he just isnt good enough, like Falcao. They see him every day, so i dont know whats going on.

I just hope we dont go for Cillessen, thats just my opinion

prarek

Could be leaving for Valencia. Valencia desperately need a keeper as Diego Alves is injured for 6-7 months and the backup keeper is also injured. Neither will be fit in time for CL qualifiers.

Valdes' response to media speculation

makes new threads with tweets in the OP

Valdes not looking like he's interested in leaving

prath92

There were lots of reports saying Lvg and hoek are real happy with Valdes development. Lvg doesn't seem to be the kind of guy who will sign someone to get resale value. Plus United aren't exactly strapped for cash that they need the pittance that valdes transfer brings

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
Whenever there will be first press conf from USA, Valdes topic will definitely come up and we will find out he was left behind. It will be weird if Valdes posted that tweet if he is to leave in few days.

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
While he could be leaving there are other reasons as to why he didn't travel -

General:
Fitness regime
Intensive coaching
An agreement in the face of a DDG PR stunt
Unknown injury

Personal:
Family reason
Bereavement
Visa issue
Personal request

Etc etc.

Only the press conference will reveal any details accurately.

rover

or lvg knew valdes well enough and sanctioned valdes doesn't need the tour. at his age and injury record it's better to avoid the unnecessary travel and stay in carrington to get back his full fitness asap. we know lvg, he could think and plan things out different from most people do. let's see what would he say in the upcoming press conf

Ixion

That instagram post doesn't sound like he'll be going anywhere and I doubt it is just coincidence he posted that the same day as the reports he was left home.

Roman Bellic

Prick
I have accepted losing DDG but losing Valdes? we haven't even given him a chance, for all we know he could be a solid replacement for DDG for the next 3 seasons.

Bwuk

Yeah his tweet makes me think he's perhaps carrying some sort of injury, or something that would mean he'd get more benefit staying behind and working at Carrington.

I think if DDG leaves, Valdes stays. Otherwise he goes. Given how much LVG likes him you would expect he would give him the chance at No. 1 if it was available.

I think the whole Tour arrangement is a challenge to Madrid, and DDG hasn't decided to leave yet. But, he hasn't committed to us either, and Valdes will stick around until he does.

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum
May be like Barthez last season with us, trying to stick around and change the managers mind when he's already cut you out in his thoughts.. I guess we won't know fully until someone point blank asks LvG about his situation next press conference form the States.

DatIrishFella

Band of Brothers, Thief
In agreement with the folks who are saying he's most likely in rehab due to a pre-existing (or new) injury thus he was forced to miss the tour.

Rezyuz

Him not going to the US because hes an FBI fugitive sounds more logical then him being left out by LVG for transfer.

Status
Not open for further replies.