Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Some may doubt him, but he's undoubtedly got the highest posts per performance ratio on RedCafe. That's got to count for something.

Niall

All Powerful Super Being
Staff
Choosing Valdes as a replacement for De Gea would be a massive risk. We're talking about a guy who basically hasn't played first team football for well over a year (maybe more?). To then throw him into the deep end as our number one, regardless of his experience, is asking for trouble.

We need to hit the ground running with a top goalkeeper next season, not taking a punt on a keeper who is clearly past his best, with a question mark over his abilities following a long term injury.

All in (£150M) on Neuer I say ;)

Sam

Poor start from our new #1 in all honesty. He was unlucky with the deflection, but he committed far to early.

Hopefully he's just rusty.

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
Valdes distribution is better than De Gea for me. Maybe not on the quick ball for the counter, not so sure on that, but in terms of keeping possession particularly under pressure.

De Gea has fluffed a fair few kicks this season to the opposition down the middle.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
I sure hope people aren't blaming him for the goal.

One thing I noticed immediately was that his distribution pales in comparison to De Gea's. I guess you can say that about a lot of keepers.
You're only saying that because one of De Gea's last bit of involvement in the game was a brilliant throw out to Ashley Young, and then when Valdes came on he didn't look as sharp. Overall and in general, Valdes has better distribution - although De Gea's is brilliant now as well so it's hard to compare to the old Valdes.

dsch

You're only saying that because one of De Gea's last bit of involvement in the game was a brilliant throw out to Ashley Young, and then when Valdes came on he didn't look as sharp. Overall and in general, Valdes has better distribution - although De Gea's is brilliant now as well so it's hard to compare to the old Valdes.
His kicking gave me butterflies. Low and too close to their players for comfort, though it is perhaps at least partly a function of the entire team looking shaky at that stage.

ZDwyr

I won't lay too much of the blame on him because he could be rusty. I thought he committed a bit too early though.

Super Nani

Choosing Valdes as a replacement for De Gea would be a massive risk. We're talking about a guy who basically hasn't played first team football for well over a year (maybe more?). To then throw him into the deep end as our number one, regardless of his experience, is asking for trouble.

We need to hit the ground running with a top goalkeeper next season, not taking a punt on a keeper who is clearly past his best, with a question mark over his abilities following a long term injury.

Got to agree with this, it's very risky indeed considering how important it is that we make a serious title challenge next season. If Valdes has impressed van Gaal in training then maybe he will get a chance until January but yep, definitely a silly risk to take when we have money to burn in the summer.

If De Gea goes we might as well throw money at Bayern for Neuer and see what happens. They won't accept it but no harm in trying I suppose. Valdes is fine as back up but that should be it for now, though he won't hang around here for long if he doesn't get much game time.

Last edited:

Acole9

Outstanding
Looks like De Gea won't be fit anyway so he should definitely get a full match.

JackXX

He was a bit unlucky to come on when we decided to play like crap. You could see a goal was coming in the second half we looked like we were in coast mode.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
His kicking gave me butterflies. Low and too close to their players for comfort, though it is perhaps at least partly a function of the entire team looking shaky at that stage.
His kicking was poor IMO. I think he did it to spite me, as I'd just told the bloke I was watching the game with that he might not be great with crosses but he's brilliant with his feet!

Yorkeontop

meonbottom

Come on man, this is Victor effing Valdes. I'm not his biggest fan but he is at a very good age for keepers and knows what its like to be the number 1 for a big club.

hbgreg

Valdes is a really cool guy, so if DDG leaves I want him as our GK. He's probably good also so that helps.

Oneunited26

Got to agree with this, it's very risky indeed considering how important it is that we make a serious title challenge next season. If Valdes has impressed van Gaal in training then maybe he will get a chance until January but yep, definitely a silly risk to take when we have money to burn in the summer.

If De Gea goes we might as well throw money at Bayern for Neuer and see what happens. They won't accept it but no harm in trying I suppose. Valdes is fine as back up but that should be it for now, though he won't hang around here for long if he doesn't get much game time.
For starters, do not think Valdes is that good anyway, a good GK just not united standards. He was dodgy at times for barcelona, and he got away with it allot because barca were insanely good. For VG does he want another shot stopper not better than our current one? its a a risk cannot be taken. It is vital we get a GK that can carry on straight from where DDG left off, if DDG is leaving. Yes Barca could not tie him down, does not mean oh he will solve our GK problems, and our defense is not very good last thing we want is our injury prone defense to have GK's swapped around

JoaquinJoaquin

I won't lay too much of the blame on him because he could be rusty. I thought he committed a bit too early though.
You have to remember though, he has barely played in the last 14-15 months so it was always going to take a few games \ months to get back into the swing of things.

marlowe78

For starters, do not think Valdes is that good anyway, a good GK just not united standards. He was dodgy at times for barcelona, and he got away with it allot because barca were insanely good. For VG does he want another shot stopper not better than our current one? its a a risk cannot be taken. It is vital we get a GK that can carry on straight from where DDG left off, if DDG is leaving. Yes Barca could not tie him down, does not mean oh he will solve our GK problems, and our defense is not very good last thing we want is our injury prone defense to have GK's swapped around
This is why I was talking crap on this thread yesterday. The excellent defensive record we've had this year was a result of having 60% possession in most games and De Gea being IMO the best natural shot stopper in Europe. Even if players like Smalling have improved, our defence still isn't very good. Every time there's a legitimate counter by an opponent, we're completely disorganized back there and it looks like we don't even train to defend. Unless there are really drastic improvements in our defensive squad over the summer, we'll need a keeper who is a 1 for 1 in quality with De Gea.

Loublaze

ATLien

Valdes is not past his best. He was actually better than ever before his injury. Only Courtois was better in La Liga last season. We signed VDS when he was 34.

prarek

There's no keeper available that can carry on straight from where he leaves. Everyone else is a step down. Question is how much of a step down we will have to put up with.

CLARiiON

Mes que un Gloryhunter
Supports
Barcelona
With Valdes, you will be always find something exciting. He will make some blunders, but he will also make some spectecular stops. He's very good in 1-1 situations, obviously as Barca always played a high defensive line.
BTW, he would rush to midfield to confront a ref or an opposition player. Either way, he is much more a personality that will always a have a love-hate relationship with the fans.

Roboc7

De gea is going and even before his injury replacing him with Valdes would have been a step down and a huge risk. The injury only makes it harder for Valdes to succeed and how much it will have affected him is a complete lottery, we have to sign a new keeper this summer and let whoever the new arrival is and Valdes battle it out to be number one.

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
With Valdes, you will be always find something exciting. He will make some blunders, but he will also make some spectecular stops. He's very good in 1-1 situations, obviously as Barca always played a high defensive line.
BTW, he would rush to midfield to confront a ref or an opposition player. Either way, he is much more a personality that will always a have a love-hate relationship with the fans.
I think he is/was a solid keeper, but I've never rated him as one of the top 2-3 in the world. Even when Barca were at their zenith.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
I think he is/was a solid keeper, but I've never rated him as one of the top 2-3 in the world. Even when Barca were at their zenith.
I can't remember dates, but in the season before his knee injury he was performing at an exceptionally good level for Barca.

Oneunited26

What ever we all think of all our opinions, we do not want fans having a love hate relationship with a keeper, that alone is asking for trouble for VG. United just need a keeper who does his job like how VDS and DDG have done, we do not want a repeat of 1999-05 all over again, and valdes will bring back those god awful memory's. Bartez was exciting let us not forget that does not mean it was good, and look how that turned out? what made VDS such a top keeper, there was nothing exciting about him, he was efficient and knew how to dominate his area and do his job. Yes DDG made mistakes, but we knew that he was 20 21 so we knew that was coming, but we also knew DDG could become one of the worlds best keepers which he proven the case. Valdez makes mistakes, and he is not 21. At this level the line from success and failure is so thin, and we will go from a keeper that won us 20 points a season, to a keeper losing us 20 points a season. Barcelona masked his deficiency's, because they were that damn good Valdez could get away with it, at united not the case. DDG is also not far off VDS, not exciting but knows how to do his job. I would be very concerned with having valdes has our number 1, its just asking for trouble. The saying goes, the foolish man who built his house on sand, that would apply to united. You do not replace one of the worlds best keepers, with an ageing keeper who has not played top level football every week for over a year . Just because he used to play for barcelona, does not mean its good for us, and some of barcelona's defenders were not the greatest let us not forget

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
I can't remember dates, but in the season before his knee injury he was performing at an exceptionally good level for Barca.
He really wasn't. Not saying you are but the majority of people just think,

"oh well he used to be Barca number 1 keeper during one of their most successful periods so he must be good"

In reality that couldn't be further from the truth, he's a bang average keeper.

Ekeke

No its true, in his final season at Barcelona he was arguably the best keeper in the league.

But if you watched him for the reserves you wouldnt think it was the same keeper

prarek

He really wasn't. Not saying you are but the majority of people just think,

"oh well he used to be Barca number 1 keeper during one of their most successful periods so he must be good"

In reality that couldn't be further from the truth, he's a bang average keeper.
He was. Ask any La Liga follower and they'll tell you the same thing. Before the injury in the final season he was arguably one of their best players. But he hasn't looked the same since from the few times we're got to see him.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
No its true, in his final season at Barcelona he was arguably the best keeper in the league.

But if you watched him for the reserves you wouldnt think it was the same keeper
He was miles ahead of everyone and it wasn't the first time, but it's trendy to knock down Barcelona players when they are not scoring 10 goals per weeks.

Ekeke

He was miles ahead of everyone and it wasn't the first time, but it's trendy to knock down Barcelona players when they are not scoring 10 goals per weeks.
Stats wise sure, clean sheets a plenty. But that was pretty much the first season where I was convinced that he was completely solid and better than the other keepers, like Diego Lopez

Status
Not open for further replies.