Vinicius Junior

gaucho_10

Does he look a genuinely elite talent? Haven't been watching much of Madrid this season.

Looks good at everything (passing, dribling, movement, vision, defensive contribution) except finishing. He literally sucks at finishing.

Basically what @In Rainbows says. So far so good.

Ishdalar

Supports
Barcelona
He has an absurd amount of potential both physically and talent, and has proven so far that his head is ready for the challenge that is playing for Real Madrid, so the worst case scenario of him being eaten alive by the Bernabeu is gone.

But he still has a lot more to work on, he needs pause in his game, sometimes he's too electric and as defenders start knowing him better and hacking him once he earns their respect, he's going to be gassed 40 minutes into the game if he tries to keep the rythm he's shown this weeks, and injuries could also be a problem.

He also needs to play with his head higher, looking for options outside of outpacing and dribbling everyone. Real may lack a system in that regard so it could be him just doing it his way, but he's going to need help from his teammates and he has to look for it, sometimes he reminds me of Yannick Carrasco for Monaco, you can see an outstanding player, but he misses a lot of efficient options trying to take people 1vs1 or 1vs2.

My biggest fear is that the hype around him and the fans/press may end up burning him, just like they've done with Asensio or Isco, they were better players 3/5 years ago when they kept it simple and knew their place.

With this said, now watch him tear us a new one tomorrow in El Clasico to prove me wrong :lol:

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Sterling is managing almost 1 goal or assist per 90 minutes in the league at the moment. The guy is on fire.
I know. I kid (somewhat). He used to be a bit of a shit finisher though. Still isn't a natural but has great end product. Was referring to a younger Sterling though.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
Sterling is managing almost 1 goal or assist per 90 minutes in the league at the moment. The guy is on fire.
Still isn't a particularly lethal finisher though.

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
I know. I kid (somewhat). He used to be a bit of a shit finisher though. Still isn't a natural but has great end product. Was referring to a younger Sterling though.
Don't remind me :lol: I remember too well. I know what you mean, though.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
People ridiculed Madrid when they signed him. I've come round to the idea that paying these amounts for kids who show this level of talent is worth it. He could be worth over €100m in the next six months.
It's a pity our shit visa rules basically exclude us from the South American market.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
People ridiculed Madrid when they signed him. I've come round to the idea that paying these amounts for kids who show this level of talent is worth it. He could be worth over €100m in the next six months.
It's a pity our shit visa rules basically exclude us from the South American market.
To me he is a carbon copy of Robinho for Madrid and I think they will have the same fate in terms of their Madrid career.

Nonetheless he is still fun as hell to watch.

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
To me he is a carbon copy of Robinho for Madrid and I think they will have the same fate in terms of their Madrid career.

I don't know about the fate, but the physicality Vinicius is going to have will be very different to Robinho's, that's for sure.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
I don't know about the fate, but the physicality Vinicius is going to have will be very different to Robinho's, that's for sure.
I thought he was a skinny type of player, he is not?

MrEleson

I don’t really see it. Robinho had more natural flair and dribbling technique. He could beat players with pure skill and panache. Vinicius reminds me more of a young Ronaldo: very naturally talented but his edge came from his physical gifts of speed and power which was a combination Robinho lacked. I see him developing more like Ronaldo than Robinho. He seems to be well drilled mentally too (even though it’s still early days).

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Only a few hours for his first clásico.
If there are here "better Ajax for his development", Robinhistas and other pessimists, you are still in time to get on the train of illusion and fantasy.

ash_86

This kid is really good . Just won a penalty for Real against Athletico

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
He's at the right club.
For all Barcelona's reputation, Real have been far far better at developing young talents in the last decade.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
He's very kick and rush and lacks close control at times, but then he has it in him to randomly pull off a 5 star skill. Very similar to Rashford in that respect - very explosive.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
His decision needs work. He had some staggering boneheaded plays in the counters against Barca but hard to not like his potential

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
He's at the right club.
For all Barcelona's reputation, Real have been far far better at developing young talents in the last decade.
Well Barca will have de jong, Arthur and Alena loving forward. They also did superb with Sergi Roberto

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Well Barca will have de jong, Arthur and Alena loving forward. They also did superb with Sergi Roberto
Still, since they've distanced themselves from their trademark playstyle a little bit there are far less La Masia players coming through. Signings like Paulinho, Vidal or Boateng wouldn't have happened 8-9 years ago. It was much easier for academy products to perform somewhat acceptable.

Pep played players like Tello, Cuenca etc. and they did fairly good. The likes of Alena, Rafinha, Munir, Denis Suarez or Samper are all much better players than those and they rarely get chances at all.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
De Jong is a great transfer but could crash with Aleñá's development.
Years ago they would have found an Arthur/Vidal/Boateng version from la Masía.

gaucho_10

So the clubs like Man United, Real Madrid or AC Milan have regular academies and golden generations and we're all OK with that because it's a fact but not them. No. Their golden generation is somehow made to look like some historical institution that shits superb footballers on a daily basis. Hilarious.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
So the clubs like Man United, Real Madrid or AC Milan have regular academies and golden generations and we're all OK with that because it's a fact but not them. No. Their golden generation is somehow made to look like some historical institution that shits superb footballers on a daily basis. Hilarious.
Couldn't have put it any better :lol:

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
So surprise surprise.

Everytime Brazil gets knocked out of the WC or fails to qualify to a under 20 WC a couple of guys I know come and say they are finished, sliding into irrelevance and don't produce the same type of players. Then a 18 year old comes into Europe with no experience and makes the difference for one of the best clubs in the world.

Ok then. They are finished. What a surprise, a brazilian player actually making the difference.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
So surprise surprise.

Everytime Brazil gets knocked out of the WC or fails to qualify to a under 20 WC a couple of guys I know come and say they are finished, sliding into irrelevance and don't produce the same type of players. Then a 18 year old comes into Europe with no experience and makes the difference for one of the best clubs in the world.

Ok then. They are finished. What a surprise, a brazilian player actually making the difference.
What difference has he made ? Some good skills here and there, he did win a penalty today but let's not pretend he's not surrounded by an elite group of players. Time will tell if he can build on that and become really special.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
What difference has he made ?
The difference between fighting for a top 4 place against Alaves and Getafe to actually be a top team that isn’t shit scared of Ajax in the round of 16 of the Champions League.

Their season completely changed course as soon as he became a starter.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
What difference has he made ? Some good skills here and there, he did win a penalty today but let's not pretend he's not surrounded by an elite group of players. Time will tell if he can build on that and become really special.
Ask their fans.

Stiliyan

Supports
Real Madrid
Ask their fans.
Yes, absolutely.
Of course a lot of players raised their level - starting with Benzema, Modric, Varane, Carvajal, Lucas. However the main reason for this is VJ. In my opinion we were suffering because our front three was at first really ineffective and also super predictable. We didn't have a single player that could break defense lines with 1 on 1 skills and there were games where we could play 1000 minutes without scoring a goal... Since VJ started playing in la liga we win easily. He creates a lot of space for Benzema and Lucas and Karim even looks like his version from Lyon. It is a lot easier for midfielders also because they are not against a wall but have a lot of passing options.

We had this problems for years. In 2016-2017 it wasn't so apparent as we super B team with James to create danger. Last year it we suffered the same way in the league while in the CL things are a bit different.

NYAS

The kid has been seriously impressive in his last few games, I never expected him to be this good this quick and I watched him put in ridiculous performances at the South American youth tournaments.

Him on the left and Sancho on the right as the 2000 babes is just a mouthwatering prospect.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
As I said earlier he has Robinho kind of career written all over him. That’s not to say he is bad btw love players who can skin defenders but don’t see him as a player who will put forward ridiculous numbers in years to come.

Charles Miller

As I said earlier he has Robinho kind of career written all over him. That’s not to say he is bad btw love players who can skin defenders but don’t see him as a player who will put forward ridiculous numbers in years to come.
He is just a 18 years old. Is not even adapted to europe. Why are you using Robinho as example? I watched Robinho with 18 years and he was a fragile kid with a weak body. Its a lazy comparison.
They are not similar at all. You realize it was the same thing they used to say about Neymar until 2015?

Vinicius is an excellent finisher. He is not showing it right now probably because he is scared to death with the responsibility of that heavy shirt. Also he is a wide striker and always scored more from central positions, but he will find his way there, and if he is not good enough everybody will see, but Robinho is the laziest comparison possible.