Virgil van Dijk | Performances

TheReligion

Abusive
Alot of Liverpool fans believe this. One of my mates is a fan and he said as long as they are winning they will be happy with an adequate wage, we are a well run club and the players are all happy and will be under Klopp.
They are living in dream land. Their agents will have a say in what happens too.

romufc

They are living in dream land. Their agents will have a say in what happens too.
You can win as many trophies, but if you have not grown up at the club, money is going to be the key motivator.

Even the likes of Ramos, flirt with other clubs to make sure they are the best paid.

VVD will have to look no further than in the summer playing alongside De Lidt who earns double he does.

TheReligion

Abusive
You can win as many trophies, but if you have not grown up at the club, money is going to be the key motivator.

Even the likes of Ramos, flirt with other clubs to make sure they are the best paid.

VVD will have to look no further than in the summer playing alongside De Lidt who earns double he does.
Yeah and they only have TAA as home grown as their record at producing players is terrible.

romufc

Yeah and they only have TAA as home grown as their record at producing players is terrible.
Exactly, at least however bad we are we still have our youth to deliver some kind of promise going forward.

They have got very lucky with Klopp, once he is off I can expect the same issues at Liverpool too.

Halds

Supports
Liverpool FC
If you think he's going to sit on that amount for 3 years you're mad.
I never said, what I think of it. It's just a fact that If he wants a move or a pay rise we are in a strong position because of it.

TheOx

Supports
Liverpool
So, nobody has gone and seen if the source is actually saying the truth?

I really don't see how he would want to leave, or even say that.

BusterGonads

Supports
Liverpool
I don't even need to find links to the story to know it's a load of rubbish. Thing is, Utd fans don't realise but the Liverpool players actually seem grateful to be there, playing for Klopp. They are all happy, committed and determined which is why we don't hear a peep out of them. And for this to come out whilst chasing no 19 and no 7 demonstrates an absolute lack of credibility

Sorry Buchan, Paul Scholes 18, Montpelier and Josh 76 but today is not your day...again. You will have to find your happiness elsewhere

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
If you think he's going to sit on that amount for 3 years you're mad.
You'd think that we'd be able to get a big fee for him at least. I'd put him in the 'irreplaceable' category though if I'm being honest. We'd have to change how we play if he were to leave.

romufc

You'd think that we'd be able to get a big fee for him at least. I'd put him in the 'irreplaceable' category though if I'm being honest. We'd have to change how we play if he were to leave.
And he is probably not affordable by most clubs. Liverpool do not need to sell, so it would take a fee of over £150m, I don't see any club paying that for a 29 year old.

Liverpool are in the driving seat here, a player with a long contract, absolutely no need to sell.

mu4c_20le

Around 150k-180k depending on which sites you believe.

Of course he could get more elsewhere, but as it happens, he is contracted until 2023.
Contracts dont mean squat, only protects the club from having the player walk for free. Right now they are title hopefuls; once they become title winners, they will want to be paid like winners. And in VVD's case, paid like the best defender in the world that he is, or enjoy sunny Spain for the last 2-3 years of his prime.

redman5

In a world of my own. People know me here.
Exactly, at least however bad we are we still have our youth to deliver some kind of promise going forward.

They have got very lucky with Klopp, once he is off I can expect the same issues at Liverpool too.
We've had the likes of McManaman, Fowler, Owen, Gerrard, & Carragher all come through the ranks since we last won the title. All players who pretty much delivered on their initial promise. None of them ever won a PL medal with Liverpool though. We've also had quite a lot who've shown 'promise' but have never made it. Young players need to be 'exceptional' now if they're to make it at a top club. Rashford is the only player in your squad I'd call top class who has come through the system. McTominay has the credentials to follow him, but I wouldn't say he's there just yet. Ole needs to be careful he doesn't put too much pressure on the young lads just because he's under pressure. The fact that quite a few of them are getting game-time doesn't relate to big potential. It points to a manager who knows he's out on his arse come the summer if results & performances don't improve significantly.

& as for getting lucky with Klopp. I mean, WTF. Coming from a Manchester United fan who's enjoyed the same manager winning trophy after trophy for over 20 years. How f**king lucky is that ?

romufc

We've had the likes of McManaman, Fowler, Owen, Gerrard, & Carragher all come through the ranks since we last won the title. All players who pretty much delivered on their initial promise. None of them ever won a PL medal with Liverpool though. We've also had quite a lot who've shown 'promise' but have never made it. Young players need to be 'exceptional' now if they're to make it at a top club. Rashford is the only player in your squad I'd call top class who has come through the system. McTominay has the credentials to follow him, but I wouldn't say he's there just yet. Ole needs to be careful he doesn't put too much pressure on the young lads just because he's under pressure. The fact that quite a few of them are getting game-time doesn't relate to big potential. It points to a manager who knows he's out on his arse come the summer if results & performances don't improve significantly.

& as for getting lucky with Klopp. I mean, WTF. Coming from a Manchester United fan who's enjoyed the same manager winning trophy after trophy for over 20 years. How f**king lucky is that ?
I am not denying that we got lucky, but United fans know it was Fergie who kept a lid on alot of things etc. Some Liverpool fans I know think the club will continue in this pattern post Klopp. From experience, it will not and you had the same issues we had with recruitment pre Klopp.

I think we do have alot of players coming through who can be squad players not just top class. I would say McTominay, Rasford, Tuanzebe, Williams, Greenwood all have a chance of being in and around the united first team for a good few years for us to build around.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
So, nobody has gone and seen if the source is actually saying the truth?

I really don't see how he would want to leave, or even say that.
Went through his twitter profile (easy enough, first post was december 27th, 2019) and I can't find any sign of the actual tweet "breaking the rashford injury news". Just some retweet about credibility and a tweet about how he hoped he'd now gained some trust.

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
Alot of Liverpool fans believe this. One of my mates is a fan and he said as long as they are winning they will be happy with an adequate wage, we are a well run club and the players are all happy and will be under Klopp.
We heard the same at Spurs for so long, so many players were under-paid compared to their counterparts but happy to play for Poch as they were going places. Before you know it, there is an unrest in the squad as key players don't want to renew. We saw the drama with Alderweireld for over an year, Eriksen ran his deal down and left for peanuts and then you have likes of Rose looking to leave on a free when they'd have fetched decent sum couple of years ago.

Liverpool would have secured two of the biggest prizes in club football by May. They have 5-6 players in Top 10-20 places of Ballon d'Or and none of them are paid as Top 20 players in the world. Sooner, rather than later they would want parity. van Dijk is paid less than Maguire and Laporte in this league alone. Likes of Ramos, De Ligt, Thiago Silva and Pique dwarf his earnings elsewhere. Mane and Salah are at £150k and £200k a week respectively, forget likes of Messi, Ronaldo and Neymar. That's no where close to what likes of Mbappe, Griezmann, Bale, Coutinho, Sanchez etc. are making.

Unfortunately for us, Liverpool have all of their biggest assets tied up on long term contracts. If they were to agitate for more money, they can simply sell them for Coutinho esque fee.

Nvm, my links also referenced the mirror.
Not even clued in on the said players' contract situation and then you have the temerity to laugh it off :lol:

Went through his twitter profile (easy enough, first post was december 27th, 2019) and I can't find any sign of the actual tweet "breaking the rashford injury news". Just some retweet about credibility and a tweet about how he hoped he'd now gained some trust.
It's literally the pinned post on his Twitter, reading is not your strong suit :lol:

Last edited:

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
He did break the Rash news. Tweet is pinned.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Even in the unlikely event this guy is right, who outside of England could afford him?

Contracts dont mean much, but they do mean a buying club has to pay a fee.

BusterGonads

Supports
Liverpool
We heard the same at Spurs for so long, so many players were under-paid compared to their counterparts but happy to play for Poch as they were going places. Before you know it, there is an unrest in the squad as key players don't want to renew. We saw the drama with Alderweireld for over an year, Eriksen ran his deal down and left for peanuts and then you have likes of Rose looking to leave on a free when they'd have fetched decent sum couple of years ago.

Liverpool would have secured two of the biggest prizes in club football by May. They have 5-6 players in Top 10-20 places of Ballon d'Or and none of them are paid as Top 20 players in the world. Sooner, rather than later they would want parity. van Dijk is paid less than Maguire and Laporte in this league alone. Likes of Ramos, De Ligt, Thiago Silva and Pique dwarf his earnings elsewhere. Mane and Salah are at £150k and £200k a week respectively, forget likes of Messi, Ronaldo and Neymar. That's no where close to what likes of Mbappe, Griezmann, Bale, Coutinho, Sanchez etc. are making.

Unfortunately for us, Liverpool have all of their biggest assets tied up on long term contracts. If they were to agitate for more money, they can simply sell them for Coutinho esque fee.

Not even clued in on the said players' contract situation and then you have the temerity to laugh it off :lol:

It's literally the pinned post on his Twitter, reading is not your strong suit :lol:
We do not pay the highest wages in the world, we do not have the revenues of Barca and RM but we pay adequately and some of the highest bonuses around. So if they win, they get paid. Comparing our payment structure to a Levy-run Spurs is irrelevant

UnitedChampionsAgain

I don't even need to find links to the story to know it's a load of rubbish. Thing is, Utd fans don't realise but the Liverpool players actually seem grateful to be there, playing for Klopp. They are all happy, committed and determined which is why we don't hear a peep out of them. And for this to come out whilst chasing no 19 and no 7 demonstrates an absolute lack of credibility

Sorry Buchan, Paul Scholes 18, Montpelier and Josh 76 but today is not your day...again. You will have to find your happiness elsewhere
Why don't you take your happiness to an Lfc forum and quit gloating here.

romufc

That's the thing but also, rumours of a new VVD contract means he will sign a 5 year deal for 300k a week, he will be 33 by the time that deal finishes.

Same as Salah, Mane or anyone aged 28 plus signing a 5 year deal will be tied down, but as we have seen it here it makes it difficult to sell the players when they are over the hill.

They'll be great for this season and next and once the squad starts ageing and new players are brought in at same or higher wages, I suspect they will have a huge wage

Number4.

A friend of mine actually believe they can get Mbappe in the summer, for less salary then he is on now.
I think it is highly unlikely obviously, but the Nike deal might provide the chance to get a mega deal over the line. Liverpool will definitely not match the 500k give or take in wages he will generate, but you can imagine a case where he is incentivised by a % share of the new revenue generated through his Jersey sales and a range of Nike / Liverpool / M'Bappe clobber that all parties would love. It would work for M'Bappe, Nike and Liverpool.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
You can look at it any way you want, terrific defender, would have been smart if we went for him while he was at freaking Southampton! If anywhere a player is getable it's there.

But he's their player now, no point in crying over it. There are no players like him in the market at the moment but if we improve our defense and our overall play we could match their defense with van Dijk in it, I am hoping soon.
Maybe you tried, City did and I think so did we.

By all accounts he wanted Liverpool and only Liverpool after meeting with Klopp.

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
Unless he’s signed an extension, then he’s definitely due an increase on the deal he signed with us initially. A lot of our deals will include huge bonuses too though which I can’t imagine he’s had difficulty hitting.

Few rumours about Gini too, but I think both will sign new contracts. Think the rest seem to be tied up to long term deals anyways so we’re in a good position

Dick Dastardly

Supports
Wrexham
A friend of mine actually believe they can get Mbappe in the summer, for less salary then he is on now.
I believe the Liverpool wage structure is based on succes, the more you win, the more you get paid. If I ran a club I would do it that way as well.

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
The fact this has gained so much traction on here is surprising. I know someone made a thread about journos making United out to be a laughing stock but it’s quite easy to do when you believe every tenuous rumour at best. If people only took stock from verified sources and the obviously club briefed journos it’d be less of an issue!

Those people can be wrong too but they’re much more trustworthy.

mwake

Supports
Liverpool
He did break the Rash news. Tweet is pinned.
The fact this has gained so much traction on here is surprising. I know someone made a thread about journos making United out to be a laughing stock but it’s quite easy to do when you believe every tenuous rumour at best. If people only took stock from verified sources and the obviously club briefed journos it’d be less of an issue!

Those people can be wrong too but they’re much more trustworthy.
What a world we live in.

Imagine, you work as a nurse or secretary at a private hospital for the doctor who assessed Rashford, you tell your partner when you get home that you heard the doctor saying Rashoford has a bad injury and needs to recover. Your partner then makes a twitter account detailing all this as if they are some important football insider. Success!

I believe the Liverpool wage structure is based on succes, the more you win, the more you get paid. If I ran a club I would do it that way as well.
Dont tell Woodward this please dont!

mannbeist

That might be correct, doesnt remove the fact that he never would be signing for them with a decreased wage

Speedy30

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
This whole 'getting lucky with Klopp thing's is ridiculous. It's not like we rolled a dice and if it landed on a 6 we get Klopp, if it lands on a 1 we get Hodgson back. He was out of a job because he chose to be, we were crap in the league and we decided to approach him. We asked if he'd like the job, he said yes. Nothing lucky about it, just decent recruitment.

Last edited:

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
This whole 'getting lucky with Klopp thing's is ridiculous. It's not like we rolled a dice and if it landed on a 6 we get Klopp, if it lands on a 1 we get Hosgson back. He was out of a job because he chose to be, we were crap in the league and we decided to approach him. We asked if he'd like the job, he said yes. Nothing lucky about it, just decent recruitment.
It is kind of a cool story. He was slept on a bit when he was out of a job, he obviously knew he was great but had his doubters. Lost out in finals etc.. he was the top underdog at that moment. He looked at your club and thought. "Sleeping giant huh? We have something in common."

I mean I hate that you have made it now, but you have earned it and do deserve it. We have to be honest about that.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Juve linked with him today as well in some shit paper. But just a coincidence after the rumours earlier?

Judas

Open to offers
I don't see him staying at Liverpool for the rest of his career, thankfully. Seems like a man on a mission who will do what it takes to get what he wants.

PickledRed

Supports
Liverpool
I don't see him staying at Liverpool for the rest of his career, thankfully. Seems like a man on a mission who will do what it takes to get what he wants.
You don’t think he’s getting what he wants at Liverpool? By the end of the season he’ll have won the big two trophies with more likely on the way.

Judas

Open to offers
You don’t think he’s getting what he wants at Liverpool? By the end of the season he’ll have won the big two trophies with more likely on the way.
Exactly though, he'll have got what he wanted at Liverpool, and will want to do it elsewhere. I think what he says points to that too.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Are you going to pay him £300k+ a week?

The more of a name your top players make for themselves, the more problems with unrest if they're not recompensed as players in their bracket in the world game are, will arise.

If you pay your star turns what the going rate is, you're current wage structure will be shattered and that will be a pivotal moment for you in terms of long-term sustenance of the vehicle you are currently.

Success will need to go hand-in-hand with ££ to keep a happy camp. Van Dijk is rated as the best CB in the world currently - you're going to have to pay him as such.

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
If you label him as best defender in the world, then got to pay the man like one as well.

De Ligt makes £375k a week with all addons btw, good luck keeping van Dijk happy on current deal :)

_00_deathscar

Supports
Liverpool
If you label him as best defender in the world, then got to pay the man like one as well.

De Ligt makes £375k a week with all addons btw, good luck keeping van Dijk happy on current deal :)
Just send him clips of Coutinho.