Virgil van Dijk | Performances

Varun

Staff
Lots of wishful thinking I see.
About him wanting a contract that justifies his worth? Personally, I don't understand why he'd want to leave Pool for Juve. Real or Barca coming in would change that but not Juve. At the same time, if he and his agent aren't demanding wages in the range of 300k+ soon enough, they're stupid.

Last edited:

Bojan11

He’s 29 soon.

In terms of earnings he has not earned much compared to other players over his career. The next contract he gets has to be huge whether that’s at Liverpool or another club. I don’t really blame him.

De Ligt in a year probably gets what Van Dijk made in his total salary during his spells at Celtic and Southampton together.

Bojan11

About him wanting a contract that justifies his worth? Personally, I don't understand why he'd want to leave Pool for Juve. Real or Barca coming in would change that but not Juve. At the same time, if he and his agent are demanding wages in the range of 300k+ soon enough, they're stupid.
Why are they stupid? Look at his career the only club he’s earned really big money is at Liverpool and even that compared to other world class players is not a lot. It’s not like De Ligt. Van Dijk in 3 or 4 years due to his age won’t be able to make those wage demands.

izec

Why are they stupid? Look at his career the only club he’s earned really big money is at Liverpool and even that compared to other world class players is not a lot. It’s not like De Ligt. Van Dijk in 3 or 4 years due to his age won’t be able to make those wage demands.
I think he wanted to say the opposite but forgot a word

Varun

Staff
Was supposed to be 'aren't' :lol:

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
His (much younger and, at present, much inferior) Dutch centre-back partner is on double van Dijk’s salary.

Laughable that our resident Scousers believe big Virgil is a purer form of footballer (like all of their players, coincidentally) and is happy to play for Liverpool for half the money he’d earn elsewhere. :lol:

Delusion is order of the day on Merseyside, as per.

Van Aanholt's Express

Supports
Wigan
Playing for the current dominating force in world football is probably quite helpful when it comes to endorsements.
Who knows if he'd be one of the cover stars of FIFA 20 playing for Juventus.
I've no idea what he earns for endorsements but I'm sure his agent will weigh all that up when negotiating his next contract.

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
He’s the one player from our squad I’d deem irreplaceable. Not that I think he’ll force a move, especially not for Juventus, but if he were to, it would pose a serious problem.

If following Liverpool has taught me anything, it’s that players are loyal until they aren’t. Be it money, trophies or a new challenge. If Barca or Real come sniffing, I wouldn’t put it past anyone to not have their heads turned. And in all honesty, I wouldn’t even begrudge it - even if it’d be the worst thing that could happen outside of Klopp leaving.

Man of Leisure

Threatened by women who like sex.
No we don't. He has a contract that runs until 2023.
He’s not gonna be satisfied on those same wages until 2023. Especially if he maintains his form.

Having said that, I’d rather have a team of players being underpaid rather than the overpaid, underperforming lot we’ve currently got.

Man of Leisure

Threatened by women who like sex.
If following Liverpool has taught me anything, it’s that players are loyal until they aren’t. Be it money, trophies or a new challenge. If Barca or Real come sniffing, I wouldn’t put it past anyone to not have their heads turned. And in all honesty, I wouldn’t even begrudge it - even if it’d be the worst thing that could happen outside of Klopp leaving.
Tbf, this can be applied to life. Most people are only as loyal as their options.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
No we don't. He has a contract that runs until 2023.
Yes, upsetting your most important and irreplaceable player always works out well.

I'm not sure why Liverpool fans are acting like this is some kind of revelation - it literally goes hand in hand with success.

This guy is worth the highest rate for a CB, he'd be massively underselling himself to not be the top-earning CB in the world by the time he signs on the dotted line for his last big contract of his career.

Liverpool either have a contingency for this, or you'll not be able to hold onto him.

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
He’ll get a bigger contract and he’ll have bonuses and endorsements that’ll see him earn parity with the worlds best. Most of our contracts include bonuses anyways. We’ve saved enough cash if you look at our finances to be able to offer bigger deals. It’s one of the advantages we have in building our squad the way we have.

mwake

Supports
Liverpool
I think people are confused a little, yes VVV basic wage is relatively low but his bonuses means he probably makes much more than that per week. Liverpool can be creative by improving his bonuses and obviously increasing his basic wages. At the moment he has more chances of winning champions league trophies with Liverpool than Juventus so apart from money why would he go there?

He is loved at Liverpool and winning things, other players who were loved at Liverpool who left did so because they didn't feel the club could win anything.

Halds

Supports
Liverpool FC
Yes you do. You couldn't afford to have unsettled and unhappy and keep him
He’s not gonna be satisfied on those same wages until 2023. Especially if he maintains his form.

Having said that, I’d rather have a team of players being underpaid rather than the overpaid, underperforming lot we’ve currently got.
Yes, upsetting your most important and irreplaceable player always works out well.

I'm not sure why Liverpool fans are acting like this is some kind of revelation - it literally goes hand in hand with success.

This guy is worth the highest rate for a CB, he'd be massively underselling himself to not be the top-earning CB in the world by the time he signs on the dotted line for his last big contract of his career.

Liverpool either have a contingency for this, or you'll not be able to hold onto him.
He will probably ask for a bigger pay check and we will probably offer it, but I can't see us paying £300k a week. I'm not sure how much we offer in bonus'es.

If we can't honour his demands and he wants to leave, then we are in a strong position to get a good transfer

fastwalker

I think there seems to be something special going on at Liverpool that VVD is right at the centre of. A team that is just reaching the peak of their powers, winning trophies and breaking records as well. As it stands Juventus is not a step up from Liverpool it is actually a step down. VVD also seems to have a very strong relationship with Klopp and seems to be a mentor to some of the young players as well like Gomez, Trent, Hoever and Van Den Berg. Then there is the fact that VVD would have seen the likes of Emre Can and Phillipe Coutinho leave Liverpool to pursue their ambitions elsewhere and see that grass is not necessarily greener on the other side.

I think the only possible way that VVD will leave is if he has a long held ambition to play for one of the other European power houses like Barcelona, Juventus, Madrid or Bayern. For the first time in the last 30 years, Liverpool is actually a destination club, not somewhere you leave for something better.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Some of the posts in the first few pages :lol:

Storm Force

Supports
Liverpool
If he leaves then he leaves.

Coutinho left
Emre Chan left.
Owen left in his prime
Torres left.

Not one of them enjoyed the adulation the vibe the incredible global recognition you get wearing the red of Liverpool

TheReligion

Abusive
In fairness if you weren’t here there’d be no opposition which would make it much less fun.
If you want to be serious though I still don't think VVD is legendary centre half level. He's not in the same bracket of some of the very best and will have to deliver a few years at top level to be considered a Cannavaro, Ramos, Maldini, Ferdinand, Vidic etc.

That said he's doing well and has improved your defence drastically. You're about to win your first title in over 30 years so not surprised you're getting giddy. Enjoy

redman5

In a world of my own. People know me here.
If you want to be serious though I still don't think VVD is legendary centre half level. He's not in the same bracket of some of the very best and will have to deliver a few years at top level to be considered a Cannavaro, Ramos, Maldini, Ferdinand, Vidic etc.

That said he's doing well and has improved your defence drastically. You're about to win your first title in over 30 years so not surprised you're getting giddy. Enjoy
No he won't, he's already proved he's top class. He's been with us for 2 years now & produced the goods game after game after game. Do you honestly believe that's some sort of fluke & one day he'll transform into a Phil Babb ? You guys called us delusional for years. The shoe seems to be on the other foot now.

TheReligion

Abusive
No he won't, he's already proved he's top class. He's been with us for 2 years now & produced the goods game after game after game. Do you honestly believe that's some sort of fluke & one day he'll transform into a Phil Babb ? You guys called us delusional for years. The shoe seems to be on the other foot now.
He was better last season than this for me. And if you're seriously placing him in the same bracket as defenders who were world class for 5+ years consistently you're as deluded yourself.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Most people judge a player's greatness by a combination of longevity, personal peak and team success. Van Dijk doesn't have a lot of longevity or team success yet, compared to the other legendary defenders. Seems likely he will but if he doesn't, if his career suddenly ended tomorrow, most people wouldn't think of him as a legendary defender. No delusions about it. Just a different way of assessing a player, if that's not how you do it. But I reckon there's probably lots of posts from you judging players in exactly the same way when they weren't in your team.

TheReligion

Abusive
Most people judge a player's greatness by a combination of longevity, personal peak and team success. Van Dijk doesn't have a lot of longevity or team success yet, compared to the other legendary defenders. Seems likely he will but if he doesn't, if his career suddenly ended tomorrow, most people wouldn't think of him as a legendary defender. No delusions about it. Just a different way of assessing a player, if that's not how you do it. But I reckon there's probably lots of posts from you judging players in exactly the same way when they weren't in your team.
Good post. Pretty much this. Not sure why the scouse can't enjoy their success without having to be like that cnut no one likes at the pub. You know the one that likes to try and show off about everything. Just enjoy your renaissance and stop trying to push opinions of greatness on everyone. The credit will rightly come when is due. Begging for it is just pathetic.

redman5

He was better last season than this for me. And if you're seriously placing him in the same bracket as defenders who were world class for 5+ years consistently you're as deluded yourself.
OK so tell me what qualities the likes of Rio & Vidic had that VVD hasn't. He's got pace, dominant in the air, good on the ball, excellent passer, scores goals, a strong leader. You're off your head mate if you think he's not worthy of standing shoulder to shoulder with those 2. The whole footballing world outside of Old Trafford would probably think the same.

TheReligion

Abusive
OK so tell me what qualities the likes of Rio & Vidic had that VVD hasn't. He's got pace, dominant in the air, good on the ball, excellent passer, scores goals, a strong leader. You're off your head mate if you think he's not worthy of standing shoulder to shoulder with those 2. The whole footballing world outside of Old Trafford would probably think the same.
It's not about the qualities its how long and at what level has been displaying them for. Read @Brwned post and give your head a wobble. He's played at the top level for just under two years and you want to proclaim him as the same level as Maldini and co. feck off.

PickledRed

Supports
Liverpool
It's not about the qualities its how long and at what level has been displaying them for. Read @Brwned post and give your head a wobble. He's played at the top level for just under two years and you want to proclaim him as the same level as Maldini and co. feck off.
He’s had an odd career trajectory but the levels he’s reaching right now stands alongside any top PL of the past decade or so. If the only argument against him is that his heights have been relatively recent then I guess the confines of the discussion restrict a comparison to longer serving top players. Fair enough.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Might be the shock factor that made it seem like he was better last season maybe? He was a decent player at Southampton but not anywhere close to being considered world class, and then we signed him and he went up a level or two. Everyone starts noticing him and it seems like he was playing at a more elite level last season. Now we’re all used to seeing him play at that level so it doesn’t seem as impressive?

He has had some games here and there where he’s been beaten one on one here and there.

We’ve been noticeably better at keeping clean sheets since Gomez got a run alongside him.

TheReligion

Abusive
He’s had an odd career trajectory but the levels he’s reaching right now stands alongside any top PL of the past decade or so. If the only argument against him is that his heights have been relatively recent then I guess the confines of the discussion restrict a comparison to longer serving top players. Fair enough.
It's to do with how long he keeps it going. I'm not sure what's controversial to some about that? It's more controversial to start trying to proclaim him as the best CB in the world ever when he's only been doing it for 18 months.

Again not sure why you lot seek approval from others so much and get tetchy when you don't get it. Just enjoy your success FFS.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
Good post. Pretty much this. Not sure why the scouse can't enjoy their success without having to be like that cnut no one likes at the pub. You know the one that likes to try and show off about everything. Just enjoy your renaissance and stop trying to push opinions of greatness on everyone. The credit will rightly come when is due. Begging for it is just pathetic.
Insecure wankers.

Their clamouring for validation from all and sundry is pathetic.

redman5

You didn't answer my question regarding how your 2 guys were superior to VVD. I'll take it you can't then. Understandable I suppose. & yes I did read @Brwned's post about longentivity = legend. Can we take it then that Phil Neville has widespread legendary status because he was at United for quite some time & won a shitload of trophies ? But listen, I understand. I'm on a Manchester United forum & appreciate that you, & others, are keen to protect the memories & status you have of your great players from the past. But I'm sure if you went outside of your own little world & heard from footballing neutrals then most would have VVD listed as a legend already.

TheReligion

Abusive
Might be the shock factor that made it seem like he was better last season maybe? He was a decent player at Southampton but not anywhere close to being considered world class, and then we signed him and he went up a level or two. Everyone starts noticing him and it seems like he was playing at a more elite level last season. Now we’re all used to seeing him play at that level so it doesn’t seem as impressive?

He has had some games here and there where he’s been beaten one on one here and there.

We’ve been noticeably better at keeping clean sheets since Gomez got a run alongside him.
I've not watched him as closely as you so I won't argue. He just seems a bit more error prone and vulnerable but I might just have caught him at a bad time.

He definitely benefits from a regular partner. Every CB does as defending as a unit requires consistency and a team within a team IMO.