Virgil Van dijk: UEFA Player of the year

Eddy_JukeZ

VVD went for 75m just a few months after they signed Coutinho and Dembele, so in essence they bought VVD for Liverpool.

Idiots. Personally think they should have spent on a CB, and pocketed the rest, the transfer market would have been much better off for it also.
Yes I remember that. Don't think VVD would have moved to Spain, but who knows.

They panic bought 2 players who have been complete failures at the club.

Jimmy_Bond

:lol: to all of that.

Just because you can't see the contribution of a defender and doesn't make you go wow like the Messi's chip against Betis doesn't take away the fact that vvd deserves it this season.

By your logic only attacking players deserve the award because of the 'stats'
You've ignored such a large part of my post to try and ridicule it. Well done.

Messi had a better season that Van Dyke. It's that simple. He's been the best player in the world once again. You probably don't even remember football pre Messi. What he does every season is not normal. 36 goals in 34 league games last season, and 12 Champion's League goals in 10 games. A total of 51 goals in 50 games in all competitions.

It's absolutely freakish stuff, and if it weren't for Barca's pathetic defence in that second leg this wouldn't even be a discussion. Let's not forget that in the first leg Messi got 2 goals and the Van Dyke led defence conceded 3. It was Liverpool's attack and Barca's appalling defence and individual errors that put Van Dyke in this situation, when really they should have been eliminated comfortably after Messi's phenomenal work in the first game.

The type of season Messi just did has only ever been seen before by one other player. Messi. Yet you laugh at me saying his normal is unattainable for other players? Showing a distinct lack of any footballing knowledge there mate.
Admit it. Liverpool now have the best pair of fullbacks in the world, together with the greatest defender in the PL history (The first ever defender to win it over Messi/Ronaldo).
If you think otherwise, you are just being jealous of them. Unless we ourselves beat them in a match, we have no right to doubt their players. It will sound like sour grapes.
Of course they do, but what's your point? I can't point out that Messi has clearly once again been the best player in the world or it sounds like sour grapes? What planet to you live on?

Give me a choice of Robertson, TAA, Van Dyke or Messi and it won't take me long to decide. And Liverpool's back four would be totally preserved.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
It's a daft point that @kouroux, because both Dembele and Coutinho cost Barca miles more than VVD... yet are you telling me Barca wouldn't have been a much better side without these two attackers and with the Dutchman?

I'd argue top clubs try harder to keep their very top defenders. Look at Koulibaly for example, yet Napoli let their best midfielder Jorginho go without any real fight. Very very rarely do you see a top side selling their best CB.
I'm talking in general and you bring up exceptions :lol: Make a survey for every club in the entire world and see who cost more between attackers and defenders. I know we love our opinions on the caf but football clubs invest the most in areas they hope will bring them the best possible scenario at the end of each season and very often it's for attackers
Marketability is one thing, for starters.

What "overall greater impact" did Ronaldo have on Juve last season? They still won the same things they always win. His overall impact on the team was far less than Van Dijk's impact on Liverpool, and that's irrespective of transfer fees. Diego Godin cost Atlético €8m yet his impact on their style of play was bigger than any attacker they signed during his time there.

It depends on the player individually, so it's daft to say that attackers overall have a greater impact on a team than other types of players. And even if you believe that, transfer fees don't matter one bit in the discussion. If we signed Lewandowski for €200m in January he wouldn't (positively) impact our level whatsoever, regardless of his fee.
Same as above.
Godin's impact bigger than Griezmann's ? Really ? If you look at the majority of cases, strikers cost more defenders and that's not out of nowhere. Clubs invest more in attacking talents more defensive because more often than not it's what makes the difference.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Neither Modric nor VVD deserved the award over Messi but I guess Messi does it so regularly that people have become immune to him at this stage.

Eddy_JukeZ

Neither Modric nor VVD deserved the award over Messi but I guess Messi does it so regularly that people have become immune to him at this stage.
He was 5th last year. It was a joke.

Voters are tired of voting for him.

They want someone new.

mu4c_20le

The point was that clubs spend more on attackers, and these two prove that's normally a fecking stupid idea. That's the whole point man.

Barca should have spent that Neymar money on Koulibaly or VVD but attackers appease fans more and get the juices flowing for the marketing departments.
I still don't see how two expensive transfer busts prove anything. If Barca still had Neymar instead of Dembele they would have won. No VVD needed.

Skills

Snitch
Marketability is one thing, for starters.

What "overall greater impact" did Ronaldo have on Juve last season? They still won the same things they always win. His overall impact on the team was far less than Van Dijk's impact on Liverpool, and that's irrespective of transfer fees. Diego Godin cost Atlético €8m yet his impact on their style of play was bigger than any attacker they signed during his time there.

It depends on the player individually, so it's daft to say that attackers overall have a greater impact on a team than other types of players. And even if you believe that, transfer fees don't matter one bit in the discussion. If we signed Lewandowski for €200m in January he wouldn't (positively) impact our level whatsoever, regardless of his fee.
1. Marketability has only become a factor in recent times, but you look through the transfer history books and it's still attacking players (or players known for their contributions in the attacking third) dominating the list of highest fees paid.

kouroux

1. Marketability has only become a factor in recent times, but you look through the transfer history books and it's still attacking players (or players known for their contributions in the attacking third) dominating the list of highest fees paid.
It's not even close. Football clubs are businesses, they see attackers as more valuable assets to invest in.
I do think that VVD deserves his award

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
"Because the overall impact of a world class attacker is much greater than that of a defender."
As a general rule, that is true. VVD happens to be one of the rare exceptions. And his impact on liverpool goes well beyond his own individual performances, it's the confidence and belief he gives to everyone around him that makes the biggest difference. Liverpool haven't really gotten much better at defending, they got much better at not collapsing into a gibbering mess at the first chance they got

Jimmy_Bond

"It's that simple" :lol:
Again, you make a long post justifying an opinion and somebody does this. Really pathetic. If you take issue or disagree with something I've said, say why you disagree and put a counter argument.

Trying to ridicule people with smilies is pathetic mate. 51 goals in 50 games. Won the domestic title. Reached domestic cup final and CL semi finals. Think that outdoes what Van Dyke achieved personally.

Like I said, if any other player achieved what Messi did last season people would be flipping, and that player would win the award hands down. Why should it be any different just because it's a players who's been so incredibly that he's done it before?

As a general rule, that is true. VVD happens to be one of the rare exceptions. And his impact on liverpool goes well beyond his own individual performances, it's the confidence and belief he gives to everyone around him that makes the biggest difference. Liverpool haven't really gotten much better at defending, they got much better at not collapsing into a gibbering mess at the first chance they got
I'd argue Ramos has been as important to you and your trophy haul over the past decade as any other attacking player bar Ronaldo.

Eddy_JukeZ

Would Neymar have missed those chances at the Nou Camp ? It should have been at the very least 4-0
That Dembele miss should have been the last straw for him at Barcelona.

Idiot had all the time in the world and produced that shocking miss.

Again, you make a long post justifying an opinion and somebody does this. Really pathetic. If you take issue or disagree with something I've said, say why you disagree and put a counter argument.
You want me to argue with someone who writes "Messi has had a better season than VVD; it's that simple". That's pathetic pal.

Erm, nar mate, I've got better things to do than argue with someone who states it's that simple whilst VVD lost one league game and won a CL. Simple it aint, either way.

kouroux

That Dembele miss should have been the last straw for him at Barcelona.

Idiot had all the time in the world and produced that shocking miss.
I think he squandered 2 big chances the one you're refering to was just criminal. What Messi did to lay in on a plate for him was great

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
You've ignored such a large part of my post to try and ridicule it. Well done.

Messi had a better season that Van Dyke. It's that simple. He's been the best player in the world once again. You probably don't even remember football pre Messi. What he does every season is not normal. 36 goals in 34 league games last season, and 12 Champion's League goals in 10 games. A total of 51 goals in 50 games in all competitions.

It's absolutely freakish stuff, and if it weren't for Barca's pathetic defence in that second leg this wouldn't even be a discussion. Let's not forget that in the first leg Messi got 2 goals and the Van Dyke led defence conceded 3. It was Liverpool's attack and Barca's appalling defence and individual errors that put Van Dyke in this situation, when really they should have been eliminated comfortably after Messi's phenomenal work in the first game.

The type of season Messi just did has only ever been seen before by one other player. Messi. Yet you laugh at me saying his normal is unattainable for other players? Showing a distinct lack of any footballing knowledge there mate.

Of course they do, but what's your point? I can't point out that Messi has clearly once again been the best player in the world or it sounds like sour grapes? What planet to you live on?

Give me a choice of Robertson, TAA, Van Dyke or Messi and it won't take me long to decide. And Liverpool's back four would be totally preserved.
You're such an awful poster - questioning the understanding of the game of another poster while you can't even spell Van Dijk's name right.

Also, I love Messi as much as anyone, but "Messi's phenomenal work" in the first leg, seriously? He wasn't very good in that game. If you're going by who is the best player in the world, then Messi should have won the award every year since 2005 or so but that's not how these things normally work.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
He had the biggest individual impact on his team. So for me, this is deserved. Yes, Messi is an infinitely better and more talented player than Van Dijk, but defaulting it to Messi for 15 years straight is boring.

In the end Barcelona won the title as they always do last year and came up short in the CL. Juve won the title as they would do even if they'd field a back 2 of random caftards and didn't win the CL like they never do.

Liverpool however won the title even more almost than they usually do and won the CL to boot.

Still not really a fan of Van Dijk though. Sure if he plays for our country, but he's just such a boring cnut.

Also, the Dutch players hype is back. The overwhelming number with which De Jong won best mid fielder is ridiculous. I mean yes, the kid's very talented, but he's not the best midfielder in world football yet. I think Van Dijk and De Ligt shared about 90% of the votes for best defender between them. Again, I'm proud of 'em, sure, but wow. What's next, Memphis voted best rapper at the Emmy's? Or do they give music people a grammy?

Bwuk

I'm glad someone other than the usual suspects won it.

Van Dijk deserved it too.

Tostao_80

You're such an awful poster - questioning the understanding of the game of another poster while you can't even spell Van Dijk's name right.

Also, I love Messi as much as anyone, but "Messi's phenomenal work" in the first leg, seriously? He wasn't very good in that game. If you're going by who is the best player in the world, then Messi should have won the award every year since 2005 or so but that's not how these things normally work.
You lost all validity when you claimed that Messi wasnt very good in that first game.
This is what a Liverpool football site said about him after the game:

https://www.thisisanfield.com/2019/...-talking-points-from-barcelona-3-0-liverpool/

It said he was the greatest player in history and his performance that night showed why.

Messi has been the best player in Europe the past season. You cant have honestly watched him and VVD and decided that VD was better.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
You lost all validity when you claimed that Messi wasnt very good in that first game.
This is what a Liverpool football site said about him after the game:

https://www.thisisanfield.com/2019/...-talking-points-from-barcelona-3-0-liverpool/

It said he was the greatest player in history and his performance that night showed why.

Messi has been the best player in Europe the past season. You cant have honestly watched him and VVD and decided that VD was better.
He barely did anything of note that game and a tap-in and a FK don’t change that. It did however change the outcome of the whole leg, so if you look at it that way then yeah, he showed why he’s the greatest ever. He wasn’t particularly impressive apart from that though.

Sigma

Short termism at it's finest.

I miss the days when you had to perform at a world class level for a fair few years and win a few trophies before you were considered worthy for such accolades.

Top top player. However, if he retired tomorrow he'd have had a worse career than Sami Hypia. Greatest defender in PL history? He'll have to win a few of them before he can even be in the discussion.

What a time to be alive.
At his peak though, over the last 2 years. Can't think of any better defender the PL has had in terms of peak performance. He is just brilliant.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Funny to think Ajax and PSV didn't think too much of Van Dijk when he was at Groningen. His progression has been amazing.

Alemar

I thought Messi should of won it did some crazy stuff last season and scored some spectacular free kicks.
Messi shall not win more personal awards, neither shall Ronaldo. Enough is enough, seriously - football is not just them.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Have you seen his wife? The man already won at life
They've separated and have filed for divorce. Though he's now apparently involved with Instagram air head Gaby Blaaser (I know this because my lovely wife forces me to watch her stupid gossip show every day).

Life really is unfair. Though his new one is so dumb it makes her unattractive to me.