War-torn Syria on verge of World Cup fairytale

NieThePiet

Supports
Werder Bremen, Arsenal
Flashscore says, Australia has 92% possession in extra time..

Wayne's World

They have so much to be proud of. Fair play to them for getting as far as they did and they gave Australia a mighty scare over two legs

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Al-Soma is a good player, could have done with a career in Europe
I was thinking this, similar sort of style to Chamakh when at Bordeaux. Definitely could do a job for a lot of decent teams in Europe.

Edit: also just seen he has one hell of a scoring record at Al alhi

Womp

idiot
It won't be America, it'll be Panama or Honduras I reckon.
Ye just realised and changed my post. Don't see us beating those teams either. As hard as Syria fought, we are quite shite. Especially without Leckie and Milligin in the first leg.

Here's hoping though.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
I didn't know this was being decided today. It sounds like they drove a hard bargain, fair play to them.

Also as has been said I'm sure the Russian FA are pleased to have avoided having to welcome Syrian fans to the tournament.

Alabaster Codify7

Really wanted Syria to do it. Kind of sick of seeing the Aussies in the World Cup. Same old story each time:

- Gold kits
-Cahill scoring one goal
- Draw-loss-draw or similar
- Plane home

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Really wanted Syria to do it. Kind of sick of seeing the Aussies in the World Cup. Same old story each time:

- Gold kits
-Cahill scoring one goal
- Draw-loss-draw or similar
- Plane home
Australia has only been in four World Cups, how can you be sick of us?

Ralaks

To be honest aside from the fairy tale story I don't think Syria would be more entertaining at the World Cup than Australia (I say that having cheered for Syria during the playoffs)

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I know they're going to be upset not getting through after being so close, but this will hopefully inspire/galvanise the next generation to show it's well within their reach to qualify for major tournaments.

They can be very proud of their efforts if they have managed to inspire future top players for the national side. Even my heart was pounding when he set himself for that free kick in the last minute! Will be definitely keeping an eye out in the future for the NT or any Syrian player popping up in Europe.

prath92

I’m glad they didn’t qualify. Giving any sort of a win to Assad is what we don’t need now.

milemuncher777

formerly kid777
I’m glad they didn’t qualify. Giving any sort of a win to Assad is what we don’t need now.
Absolutely. Assad has executed and has murdered hundreds of professional athletes under torture. Also he made national team a tool for propoganda recently.

Here's the detail thread on the syrian professional footballers who were disappeared, tortured and murdered it also includes Syrian national team captain.

Articles shedding light on the situation.

https://www.alaraby.co.uk/english/s...ain-of-Syrias-football-team-tortured-to-death

http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/st...government-brought-soccer-campaign-oppression

http://amp.smh.com.au/world/syrias-...ampaign-has-bitter-taste-20170928-gyqicj.html

Last edited:

Foxbatt

Absolutely. Assad has executed and has murdered hundreds of professional athletes under torture. Also he made national team a tool for propoganda recently.

Here's the detail thread on the syrian professional footballers who were disappeared, tortured and murdered it also includes Syrian national team captain.

Articles shedding light on the situation.

https://www.alaraby.co.uk/english/s...ain-of-Syrias-football-team-tortured-to-death

http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/st...government-brought-soccer-campaign-oppression

http://amp.smh.com.au/world/syrias-...ampaign-has-bitter-taste-20170928-gyqicj.html
do you know that most of these are the mouth pieces of Saudi Arabia? The same head choppers who are funding the ISIS and Al Queda in Iraq and Syria?
As for his murdering of syrian people, of course he did and does. But the hypocrisy is that it is only highlighted when he does it. When the Bahrainis and the Saudis massacred thousands of people in their country, it is putting down a rebellion. When Syria does it, it is murdering its own people.
It is murder whoever does it and wherever it is done. When the Americans and the British went in and bombed Iraq and murdered hundreds of thousands of people it is not murder? The difference is that they were not killing their own people but brown skinned asians.

Ballache

Supports
Martial
do you know that most of these are the mouth pieces of Saudi Arabia? The same head choppers who are funding the ISIS and Al Queda in Iraq and Syria?
As for his murdering of syrian people, of course he did and does. But the hypocrisy is that it is only highlighted when he does it. When the Bahrainis and the Saudis massacred thousands of people in their country, it is putting down a rebellion. When Syria does it, it is murdering its own people.
It is murder whoever does it and wherever it is done. When the Americans and the British went in and bombed Iraq and murdered hundreds of thousands of people it is not murder? The difference is that they were not killing their own people but brown skinned asians.
Basically this.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
I asked in the general forum but didn't get an answer so will ask here too. I only know the very basics of whats happening in Syria but what is the every day life there for a professional footballer? I'm wondering because a local player to me, Mo Babouli, moved to Syria a few months ago to join a club there. Would his life be in danger? Trying to understand the thoughts of a young man deciding to move from Canada to Syria at this time.

Foxbatt

I asked in the general forum but didn't get an answer so will ask here too. I only know the very basics of whats happening in Syria but what is the every day life there for a professional footballer? I'm wondering because a local player to me, Mo Babouli, moved to Syria a few months ago to join a club there. Would his life be in danger? Trying to understand the thoughts of a young man deciding to move from Canada to Syria at this time.
It is a war torn country and anything can happen there. I know that most of Damascus is safe but not sure where this player is. The mortar or the artillery shell does not have a name on it so the situation will always be dicey in such a situation when people are fighting.

prath92

None of those countries kill footballers and athletes because they don’t support the ruling regime.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
It is a war torn country and anything can happen there. I know that most of Damascus is safe but not sure where this player is. The mortar or the artillery shell does not have a name on it so the situation will always be dicey in such a situation when people are fighting.
He plays for Al-Ittihad in Aleppo. That is quite scary, I'm lucky enough to be brought up in Canada so its hard for me to even imagine what it's like in war torn countries. It must be a scary thought for his family to be putting himself in that position.

I believe he has mentioned about wanting to play for the Syrian national team. Would have been nice if he could have got in earlier and contributed to them qualifying.

Foxbatt

None of those countries kill footballers and athletes because they don’t support the ruling regime.
Not yet. As they have not take up arms against the regime. They only torture and jail them. If you think these countries in the middle east do not torture or jail sportsmen for protesting peacefully then you are in a cuckoo land. let them take up arms and then you see what will happen to them.