War-torn Syria on verge of World Cup fairytale

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Who have the Aussies got that's decent these days?

2cents

Scout
Aaron Mooy, Tom Rogic, and Massimo Luongo as far I'm aware. Maybe the resident Aussies will know more than I do.
Can't say I know any of them, nothing there for the Syrians to be scared of.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Can't say I know any of them, nothing there for the Syrians to be scared of.
I can understand you saying this about Luongo or Rogic, but Mooy? He's been Huddersfield's best player, and he's set the Premier League alight with two great performances against Crystal Palace and Newcastle.

Having said that, Australia are a more physical than most AFC teams, so Syria's going to have a tough time regardless.

2cents

Scout
I can understand you saying this about Luongo or Rogic, but Mooy? He's been Huddersfield's best player, and he's set the Premier League alight with two great performances against Crystal Palace and Newcastle.

Having said that, Australia are a more physical than most AFC teams, so Syria's going to have a tough time regardless.
I've a pretty terrible memory/attention span when it comes to the lesser PL sides' players. But fair enough!

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
I've a pretty terrible memory/attention span when it comes to the lesser PL sides' players. But fair enough!
I'm willing to bet at least 90% of PL fans have never heard of any of those players either! I definitely haven't...

Epicurean

Supports
Ajax
Our best player is anti-regime so wasn't called up until the last two matches, I think we would've already qualified had he played from the start.
Just out of curiosity, how is the relationship between players who are pro- and anti-Assad?

There was a refugee camp near Central Station in Amsterdam and I once spoke to some Syrians there. They said it is mostly foreign nationals who are fighting the regime and many Syrians want this civil war to end and the foreign nationals to get out. Is this true for most Syrians, or did I just run into them by chance?

Cal?

CR7 fan
Come on Syria, get and beat the US in the playoff!!

Epicurean

Supports
Ajax
the relationship between the players is fine, they have the same goal which is to reach the wc.

Ofcourse there are many foreign fighters BUT, the majority are people from within the city/village the groups equipy, and while I'm emotionally and economically tired of the war, I can see why many of those fighters want to keep fighting(losing a loved one ie) but for me there's no way for them to win this so best option is for them to surrender the war and just end it.
Thanks for your insight. I find it interesting, that way I hear a bit more factual information than simply what the media tells us.

Do you feel like Syria should be partitioned, to perhaps facilitate autonomous governance to the different factions (based on religious affiliation / ethnicity etc.)?

And good to see that football and a shared goal is what unifies people of opposing views! As it should in an ideal world.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Game isn't done yet, is it?

United_We_Stand

It's strange you use your superpower of seeing the future in this way. You could be doing a whole lot more.
And I can't help but admire your superpower of seeing the future, :smirk: when everyone scoffed at Memphis Depay, your divine wisdom proved prophetic! :lol:

United_We_Stand

Final score 1-1. Second leg is in Sydney on Tuesday. Aussies will be the clear favorites but it's still doable.

RobinHood

Good luck to the Syrian team in the second leg. I don't know if away goals count in world cup qualifiers but even if they do, they're still in with a shout.

It helps they're playing against Australia (in terms of who I root for) since we've been at the end of too many poor results against this lot mostly in the cricket (I'm South African so the 1999 semi final loss still rankles with most of us)

IhabX7

Caught the last half hour. The Syrians were actually very good. Seeing the nation celebrate like after everything they've been through send a shiver to the spine.

Kapardin

Do away goals actually count?

Would like Syria to qualify, but I always had a soft spot for the Socceroos as I stayed in Melbourne for a time and watched the 2014 world cup with some of my friends there. Not to mention how they got shafted by Italy in 2006. Oh, and Santo, Sam and Ed were the best...

KingMinger22

City >>> United. Moaning twat
So what are their chances of qualifying?

Would be great to see them through. feck me, FIFA should just give them a spot.

ZAGREB RED

Shame this isn't on TV in the UK. Eurosport have showed some of these games in the past but no sign any coverage today.
I was at the MCG in 1997 when Australia blew a 2-0 lead against Iran in the playoffs and drew the second leg 2-2, going out on away goals after 1-1 draw in Tehran. To say there was a change in the atmosphere in the last 20 minutes or so was a bit of an understatement. Terry Venables was manager of Australia at the time and I think everyone expected him to take the Aussies to France.

Sarni

Honest question, would Syria players actually be allowed to enter the US if they were playing them?

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Why the feck have they dropped Mooy? :lol:

United_We_Stand

Honest question, would Syria players actually be allowed to enter the US if they were playing them?
The playoff will be probably against either Panama or Honduras. The US will finish third in CONCACAF.

Last edited:

Sarni

If Trump bans them, they'd forfeit the game 3-0.
I think he would still ban them. Man is clearly insane and there are no exceptions as far as I know.

Sarni

Wait, Tim Cahill is still going strong?