Wayne Rooney | 2011/12 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

RK

Stop defending Rooney over other players. He was as shite as the worst.

It's irrelevant if you get no service or support when you keeping passing the ball out for throw-ins.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Kompany was man marking him the entire game. Every time Rooney touched the ball Kompany was right behind him kicking his heels, someone should have been going into the empty space left behind. Was just frustrated at the end of the game because of lack of service, but he isn't to blame, midfielders actually have to have the ball first before he can have an influence.

Orton

Ati-virus, keeps missing the n button
If we had Welbeck on from the start things might have been different. Rooney and Nani were both completely isolated and when they did get the ball, they had no support.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Like always, blame everyone else except Rooney.

Who is to blame after Silva outmuscled Rooney? I think it's the bad service he got from park and giggs.

wr8_utd

:'(
Got outmuscled once. Big bloody deal. He's been our best big game player this season. Maybe if we'd just started with Welbeck instead of Park we'd have seen more movement up front.

Amar__

Supports
MK Dons
Why wasn't aguero outmuscled by our defenders than? Our defenders were marking aguero every time just like their defenders did with rooney and Aguero every time kept the ball.
On the other side, Rooney lost it almost every time.

It was poor performance from Rooney, and we have problem playing Rooney in 451, why is it so hard to admit?

bosnian_red

Why wasn't aguero outmuscled by our defenders than? Our defenders were marking aguero every time just like their defenders did with rooney and Aguero every time kept the ball.
On the other side, Rooney lost it almost every time.

It was poor performance from Rooney, and we have problem playing Rooney in 451, why is it so hard to admit?
Kompany was stuck on Rooney like glue every time Rooney touched it, while whenever Aguero/Tevez had it, they had space to take a few touches and do something with it. Also the fact that they played with 2 strikers as opposed to one, giving both of them more space and our defenders more to worry about. What do you expect from Rooney when you have Park and Giggs behind him, slipping and simply hoofing it forward for him to win on his own. That one time in the first half where Rooney ran down the wing with the ball and there was nobody close to him or the box epitomized this, what do you want him to do when he has no fecking support? If you want 4-5-1/4-2-3-1 to work, you need somebody like the players Real Madrid have behind Benzema, not asking for the same quality but the same mindset. Ronaldo is always up there in support, as is Ozil. They are there to help Benzema, not defend the entire game and stand 20 yards away from the striker expecting him to do something on his own.

Amir

Yeah, there is a major problem playing Rooney in a 4-5-1. The problem is mainly the '5' behind him...

Amar__

Supports
MK Dons
Kompany was stuck on Rooney like glue every time Rooney touched it, while whenever Aguero/Tevez had it, they had space to take a few touches and do something with it. Also the fact that they played with 2 strikers as opposed to one, giving both of them more space and our defenders more to worry about. What do you expect from Rooney when you have Park and Giggs behind him, slipping and simply hoofing it forward for him to win on his own. That one time in the first half where Rooney ran down the wing with the ball and there was nobody close to him or the box epitomized this, what do you want him to do when he has no fecking support? If you want 4-5-1/4-2-3-1 to work, you need somebody like the players Real Madrid have behind Benzema, not asking for the same quality but the same mindset. Ronaldo is always up there in support, as is Ozil. They are there to help Benzema, not defend the entire game and stand 20 yards away from the striker expecting him to do something on his own.
Nani had park, giggs and jones behind him too, but he did at least something. Nani didn't have his best game too, but he was still miles better than Rooney eventough he was constantly marked by two or sometimes three players. Carrick put good performance, Scholesy put solid performance too. Our defenders looked ok too Rooney was nothing better than Park and Giggs.
This isn't the first time Rooney is playing shit as a lone striker. Whenever we played Rooney as a wide man or lone striker in last year or so he was poor. He played wide against blackburn and we had tons of possesion in that game and he was our worst player that night. Against Basel same thing, he was lone striker that night and did nothing for the whole game eventough the service was good in both games. Against Bilbao he did score a goal, but that performance was nothing better than those I mentioned, but that night our whole team played poor.

If he is our best player, and player who is on 220k per week, he needs to play better, and not rely everytime on great service from midfield and wingers. He isn't hernandez, he is Wayne Rooney, so we expect more from him. It's always someone else's fault for Rooney's poor performance.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Rooney isn't a dribbler. That's why he's no good alone. He can get some goals that way if there's plenty of service but with the ball he's not one for running with it a lot or taking on a man.

Edmeiste

It's hard to fault rooney today. He really had no support. Park's runs were just atrocious. The only outlet he really had was Nani and he was getting much support either. He didn't perform well but just pointing the finger at him just doesnt seem right.

We did him no favors with our setup and it wasn't even enough to bring on Welbeck as they couldnt establish a rhythm.

TheReligion

Abusive
First time, towards the end, I have seen Rooney look like he had given up.

Think tiredness has set in with him a bit now and he really needs a break. I expect him to have a poor Euro's and take a load of flack.

bosnian_red

Yeah, it's not often that you see the best players who have good seasons go on to have good international tournaments these days. So many games are played over the course of the year that they will always be worn out by then. On the contrary I can see nani having a good euros, hes missed quite a lot of football so he should be fresh for them.

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen
Not sure why he started on his own today. Really criminal not playing him in behind a front striker.

204Red

Poor, poor game from Rooney. Blame tactics all you want... but his personal performance was dire.

Not quite as bad as he was at Basel, or Anfield... but once again he has been found wanting in a crunch away game.

I wonder how many reds believe that our inevitable re-building will include looking beyond Rooney's place at the center of the side.

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen
Poor, poor game from Rooney. Blame tactics all you want... but his personal performance was dire.
Massive knee-jerk (not even worthy of quoting the rest of the drivel).

He's grown so comfortable in that deep role playing facing goal and pulling the strings linking the forward and the wingers with midfield. He's not and I don't think ever will be an out and out lone striker. It's not his game. It's what we have been missing since Ruud left and Saha went a way to filling that gap but he too needed someone playing in behind or beside him.

Tactics were the majority of the problem as our buildup was never going to have the momentum to adequately support him. Nani playing an inside forward role. Park and Giggs playing defensive roles in advanced positions. That's a recipe to struggle for even an out and out lone striker. We should have kept our 4-2-3-1 and had a go at them (hindsight is great isn't it?..) and you could see as well when Welbeck came on we instantly had more movement and passing options forward.

He's lost a lot of his poaching instinct and general bustling movement. His game has been refined down to about slickness and agility and vision. It's a mature role for a more mature Rooney.

204Red

Massive knee-jerk (not even worthy of quoting the rest of the drivel).

He's grown so comfortable in that deep role playing facing goal and pulling the strings linking the forward and the wingers with midfield. He's not and I don't think ever will be an out and out lone striker. It's not his game. It's what we have been missing since Ruud left and Saha went a way to filling that gap but he too needed someone playing in behind or beside him.

Tactics were the majority of the problem as our buildup was never going to have the momentum to adequately support him. Nani playing an inside forward role. Park and Giggs playing defensive roles in advanced positions. That's a recipe to struggle for even an out and out lone striker. We should have kept our 4-2-3-1 and had a go at them (hindsight is great isn't it?..) and you could see as well when Welbeck came on we instantly had more movement and passing options forward.

He's lost a lot of his poaching instinct and general bustling movement. His game has been refined down to about slickness and agility and vision. It's a mature role for a more mature Rooney.

Except how many times do we say the same thing about Rooney... what was the excuse against Basel?

his massive inconsistent play in crunch matches can not be ignored.

and I'm sorry... but this is a lingering by-product of last October... when you pull the shite Rooney did back then, you'd better expect flack when you put in a performance like he did tonight.

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen
and I'm sorry... but this is a lingering by-product of last October... when you pull the shite Rooney did back then, you'd better expect flack when you put in a performance like he did tonight.
Cause' he's had a shite season and all..

:houllier: knee-jerk. He was shite last night but only because he had feck all support was played out of his comfort zone in a lone strikers role.

Not because he himself was shite and the team needs to be re-worked with the possibility of not including him as the fulcrum. He got what he wanted (not that it has anything to do with it. If we were arguing about SAF nipping a player's off-field status at a club and not acting like a complete fecklord and jetting off for 5 months and coming back to applause standing ovations and hero celebrations of possible silverware... then fine cause SAF handled that brilliantly) and repaid United and the fans with a fantastic season. I'm not going to stand here and tell everyone how fantastic Rooney is and make you love him (I honestly have no qualms calling him a bell-end on most good days) but he never gives less than 100%. Even when he's playing like shite.

Fergie got the set-up wrong. Wayne couldn't get rhythm and played like shite. It happens to the best of us. Even Wayne has shit days pulling the strings in his comfort role.

Treble

Rooney was poor in 3 of the last 4 games. Maybe he is a bit tired, or just lost form for some reason.

ben_foster

On Loan to Watford
support, formations and tactics dont make you continuessly mis place passes!!

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Except how many times do we say the same thing about Rooney... what was the excuse against Basel?

his massive inconsistent play in crunch matches can not be ignored.

Have to agree. To my eyes Wayne gave up the ghost midway through the second half. He wasn't hunting it like he used to when we're chasing a game. I found that the most surprising and disappointing thing.

The Wayne Rooney who rescued us when we were 2-0 down at Upton Park last season was nowhere to be seen. Even the Wayne Rooney who showed up in the second half at Stamford Bridge a few months ago wasn't anywhere to be seen.

When Welbeck squared the ball to him late on in front of the box he didn't hit the ball with any conviction: Watching Wayne line up to strike the ball his body language made it obvious he wasn't gonna score. Not sure what's up with him but for awhile now he's become a less important influence on our game. He finishes things when he used to start them. It's a subtle change but one that's both visible and very damaging to Utd as the team is based around him now in the same way it used to be around Ronny or Ruud.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
The way we set up didn't do Rooney any favors at all. Unfair to criticize him on the basis of this game. Kompany is bigger and stronger than he is. It was never going to be much of a match up especially when he had him and Lescott to deal with most of the team recovering from being camped in their own half most of the time.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Is he shit again now? :(
He's obviously very good. Although I think he does lack a bit of individual brilliance. He relies on link up play to get into games. He doesn't stretch teams and take players on. So he is in that sense quite dependent on others. He's still a very very good player due to his other qualities. But he's not the unstoppable player he has the talent to be.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
Over the last few years Ive been one of Rooneys biggest critics, and yes he was dire last night, and yes he looked to have given up. (Personally I think he is exhausted) But without Rooney this season we would be nowhere near touching distance of city so dont be too harsh on the bloke.

Heres hoping England go out of the euros in the first round so he only plays one game and can then rest for the summer.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Poor yesterday, but it didn't help that his supporting cast were dire. Nani put in probably the worst performance I've seen from him in a few years, and Giggs and Park weren't offering him up much in the way of good service either. Still, big game, you want him to grab the game and just do something... and unfortunately he just didn't this time... but of course, he's done it for us many times in the past, yesterday just wasn't our day.

Coxy

The poor tactics didn't help - he was too isolated - he seemed to lose belief the more the game went on sadly.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
The poor tactics didn't help - he was too isolated - he seemed to lose belief the more the game went on sadly.
Yep, agree with that. As I've said, he should've been in his second striker role in a 4-4-2. He wouldn't have been isolated and would have had a much bigger overall impact on the game.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
It's interesting, I think last night's match will 'force' Fergie to buy a striker capable of playing as the hold up man in a 4-5-1. Rooney obviously did have one good season in obstensibly that position, but he had way more support from wide and deep than he did last night.

For all of his talent, he's never going to be the man you want relieving pressure when we're forced to defend. Neither is Welbeck or Hernandez. So will we be getting a new 'big man'?

Status
Not open for further replies.