Wayne Rooney | 2012-14 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
At least Ronaldo was honest about it.
Was he? I don't remember that and if Chelsea want Rooney Jose will be doing the charm offensive on him as that is the class of that man he doesn't care about laws or respect.

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen
Ferguson said Wayne wasn't going to be sold. Moyes said Wayne wasn't going to be sold.

Caf reaction: he's off.

The fact that Rooney is in shape, training hard and looks happy is enough for me. I don't know what will happen with his contract but I think he'll have been told by his agent to make himself unsellable. He's being coy. I'm not remotely arsed what he does if he's at 100% on the pitch.
:lol: it's fecking mental isn't it. Wayne will come out next and say he loves United and will be signing a new deal and finishing his career with the club.

caf: He's off, never been more off in his life.

heh, having seen the presser now I can understand it but I hope if he's going to 'knuckle down' that he does. Anyways, interesting times ahead.

twitter thread suggester
Yeah I can't see him staying either. I just hope Monaco or PSG throw some kind of a record sum at him.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
You can't expect Moyes to come out and say that Rooney is for sale can't you?

JaffyJoe

Provides RedCafe with shit Twitter news
Very much so but the points remain the same.

1) You dont openly say that your player is up for sale as it lowers his value.
2) You dont keep a player who wants to be elsewhere unless you need him desperately. Again, you dont tell this to the press though.

1) Rooney was always going to go too good for Everton he didn't want him to leave.
2) Fair point but in this case you can compare to ANY situation where a manager has said a player is staying and has left it does not actually matter unless Rooney does leave.

2004 is a bad example.

JaffyJoe

I understand why fans dislike Rooney he is not particularly likable to start with and add to that 2010 and finally this it seems justified but have the fans ever wholeheartedly adored him? I think the first reason will always be because he never really fulfilled his potential (he's 27 so time may still be on his side) watching him play there has always been a feeling like 'yeah he's good but I know he could be better' that is something you keep in the back of your head. He and Ronaldo will forever linked in the head of United fans they grew up together up here one went onto to be a beast of a player wpoty contender while the other was good but left something to be desired. I think we all remember the time Rooney was the better of the two and so we blame Rooney for not being as dedicated and as hardworking as Ronaldo content to get by just being very good and not wanting to be the best. I think we resent him somewhat for this.

He has done what footballers have done for years at this club and at other big clubs the only problem is bar a few exceptions ( i'm talking about United here) this has happened in the public forum the internet age as they say, 15 years ago would the backlash been as bad among our fans as it is now if this was happening? We are able to stay up to date with everything happening (or not) on an hour to hour basis twitter, facebook, forums etc. that adds to speculation add also bad sentiment and ill will to any story in the press. (what percentage do they even get right?)

My next point is that if Rooney was as good as Ronaldo a good proportion of fans would be singing a different tune imo. Some are happy to bring up the 'we are Manchester United' when it suits their agenda almost all of the biggest players have had a run in with the manager Keane, Ferdinand, Scholes, Giggs, Beckham, Van Nistelrooy, Ince, Stam, Ronaldo etc it is a part of the game and each has talked about leaving as a result or actually left most of that list are loved and revered by us, why not Rooney didn't they prove to be as stubborn in conforming to the manager's will? I link it to my first point but did Giggs fulfill his potential fully? Scholes was in and out of the team to the extent we signed Veron, Beckham's off the field antics have dwarfed anything he has done on the pitch which say's a lot as he is one of the most successful English player ever. As i'm writing this I assume it is because these players love the club? But what is not to love really you get to be rich, famous and win not really hard to love?

This is a job for these players they are meant to get the most that they can get out of their employer you are lucky when a few come around who take the club, the fans, ideals and what they stand for to heart (Giggs, Neville, Scholes, Maldini. Del Piero, Raul etc.) but it is an exception. Rooney is not part of that group by any stretch of the imagination but what he has done has been exaggerated here more than at any other club due to our history players like Giggs, Neville and Scholes we have a different perspective when it comes to players leaving their club but it is a more normal occurrence at other clubs and even we have had club greats leave before we have wanted them to.

I don't even blame the players say Rooney was a run of the mill player nobody would hesitate wanting rid of him so now we want him here because he is 'united quality' we are upset when he does not love us as much. Football is a cutthroat business for all the Rooney's, Ronaldo's Messi's etc There are tons of lads who where cast away at 18 for not being good enough these players know this, it is in their best interests to get the most money they can in a relatively short career again we hold them to a higher standard than that for what reason? What have the majority shown for us to hold them to such a standard? Lampard, Terry and Gerrard fantastic players for their clubs have all held their clubs ransom over money. What Rooney has done is no different and just to say he never made either situation public for what it's worth. I think he cares about his public perception and would rather do this kind of thing away from the press.

Finally to right now and the press conference a few on the caf want Rooney gone despite Moyes comments saying otherwise. This situation is not like 2004 Moyes is in a completely different position as manager of United than he was having the brightest English talent in the last 10-15 at the time all while being manager of Everton. Coming here was natural progression for Rooney's career but now we do not know his path we will not sell him to a league rival, so unless Rooney wants to take the path rarely taken by English players and goes abroad he is staying. He is still good enough to make a difference at the highest level so we would be helping a rival and we don't need the money so how do we benefit. The players know how good he is we would be weakening the team. I agree saying anything else would lose Rooney market value but maybe Moyes wants to keep all the quality players he can and Rooney is one of them. Rooney has kept quiet so we can't gauge his feeling and I don't really want to comment on him but unless he is adamant he wants to leave for me he is staying. We want these players to bleed for the club and care as much as we do but in truth only a small proportion do. I just hope he works hard to get back to his best for me that has been the only criteria that mattered to me in him staying.

psychdelicblues

Practically, what Moyes has done is put Rooney's team in a corner assuming that Wayne Rooney wants to leave. The only one who will look bad is Rooney because him wanting to leave says, "I wish to longer continue my time at Manchester United. Topping Bobby Charlton's record isn't enough for me to stay blah blah blah".

I agree with the acting part. Masterclass already?
I agree with this. If Rooney want's to leave he will have to put in a official transfer request, unless the club he wants to go to, is prepared to offer an insane amount for him.

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen
Practically, what Moyes has done is put Rooney's team in a corner assuming that Wayne Rooney wants to leave. The only one who will look bad is Rooney because him wanting to leave says, "I wish to longer continue my time at Manchester United. Topping Bobby Charlton's record isn't enough for me to stay blah blah blah".

I agree with the acting part. Masterclass already?
If he was to leave it would be all about him, which is a big bargaining chip for the club.

Untied

Moyes dealt with the questions pretty well I thought. But it underlines how much of a twat Rooney is that he was the source of so many aggressive questions.

Nogbadthebad

The point about Best acting up - twice - above, is a good one. Roy Keane effectively held United "ransom", like Rooney did in 2010, threatening to leave for Italy if he wasn't paid more. Yes, the circumstances were slightly different, but Keane showed no absolute loyalty to the club either. He very much put himself above both club and manager at the time. As he did later too, when he publicly criticized Fergie's pre-season plan. What's my point? That Best and Keane were very different personalities compared to Rooney. They were both free spirits, regarded and accepted as such by the fans. Keano's various outbursts over the years have generally been met with "that's just Roy, he speaks his mind," even when he has come out and disrespected Fergie in a way Rooney probably wouldn't dream of.

Just pointing this out, it's not an apology for the fat (or formerly fat) scouser: He's nothing to Best or Keane, neither in terms of footballing ability nor charisma or general likeability. But it shows the irrational nature of fandom. What is unforgivable when done by a scouse chav with fake hair is easily tolerated when done by someone more tasty.

I think its more to do with the cuntishness of Best is not known by a lot, and forgotten by most, and as with keane was before the internet age of every facial expression being analysed to see whether they 'love' the club or not.

Not many players love clubs, its a job, they enjoy playing at places, appreciate the support, most of them seem to get three or four real close friends in a squad, but the notion they all have the same fgeelings as we do is wrong. The players that do are the exception, rather the the rule. I think we do better than most, and I'd count three in our first team squad, Giggsy, Wellbeck and Cleverley.

I mentioned George Best because its simply the worst behaviour I can recollect, he missed games to bang some model , he did it twice, games he was on the team sheet for, nothing Rooney has done comes close to that. Perspective is required here.

No , dont get me wrong, I think George Best if the best footballer who ever lived, Pele had the greatest career (for which is gets lauded as the best ever player - Garrincha is the best Brazillian to play the game in my view), Maradona did things this generation hadnt seen before, but George Best did things with a football that no one, before or since, has ever done. He didnt get the career, but he was the best. None of that, though, stops me from seeing that he was at times an utter bastard to the club. I think no less of his football for it.

I guess that is why I just dont get the hate on rooney, hes a great player, in our top three at the moment, losing him makes us weaker, and I dont give a shit about the money stuff, its between him and the club, I just want to see one of the world best strikers helping us win things.

Genius Me!

Proud EE fan, 10k club member & NSFW crew member
Erm, he did not. He ducked and dodged so much that the press were told to change the subject.
Yep, this is very true. He didn't answer the simple question "Has Rooney told you that he wants to stay". Which tells us a lot in itself.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I understand why fans dislike Rooney he is not particularly likable to start with and add to that 2010 and finally this it seems justified but have the fans ever wholeheartedly adored him? I think the first reason will always be because he never really fulfilled his potential (he's 27 so time may still be on his side) watching him play there has always been a feeling like 'yeah he's good but I know he could be better' that is something you keep in the back of your head. He and Ronaldo will forever linked in the head of United fans they grew up together up here one went onto to be a beast of a player wpoty contender while the other was good but left something to be desired. I think we all remember the time Rooney was the better of the two and so we blame Rooney for not being as dedicated and as hardworking as Ronaldo content to get by just being very good and not wanting to be the best. I think we resent him somewhat for this.

He has done what footballers have done for years at this club and at other big clubs the only problem is bar a few exceptions ( i'm talking about United here) this has happened in the public forum the internet age as they say, 15 years ago would the backlash been as bad among our fans as it is now if this was happening? We are able to stay up to date with everything happening (or not) on an hour to hour basis twitter, facebook, forums etc. that adds to speculation add also bad sentiment and ill will to any story in the press. (what percentage do they even get right?)

My next point is that if Rooney was as good as Ronaldo a good proportion of fans would be singing a different tune imo. Some are happy to bring up the 'we are Manchester United' when it suits their agenda almost all of the biggest players have had a run in with the manager Keane, Ferdinand, Scholes, Giggs, Beckham, Van Nistelrooy, Ince, Stam, Ronaldo etc it is a part of the game and each has talked about leaving as a result or actually left most of that list are loved and revered by us, why not Rooney didn't they prove to be as stubborn in conforming to the manager's will? I link it to my first point but did Giggs fulfill his potential fully? Scholes was in and out of the team to the extent we signed Veron, Beckham's off the field antics have dwarfed anything he has done on the pitch which say's a lot as he is one of the most successful English player ever. As i'm writing this I assume it is because these players love the club? But what is not to love really you get to be rich, famous and win not really hard to love?

This is a job for these players they are meant to get the most that they can get out of their employer you are lucky when a few come around who take the club, the fans, ideals and what they stand for to heart (Giggs, Neville, Scholes, Maldini. Del Piero, Raul etc.) but it is an exception. Rooney is not part of that group by any stretch of the imagination but what he has done has been exaggerated here more than at any other club due to our history players like Giggs, Neville and Scholes we have a different perspective when it comes to players leaving their club but it is a more normal occurrence at other clubs and even we have had club greats leave before we have wanted them to.

I don't even blame the players say Rooney was a run of the mill player nobody would hesitate wanting rid of him so now we want him here because he is 'united quality' we are upset when he does not love us as much. Football is a cutthroat business for all the Rooney's, Ronaldo's Messi's etc There are tons of lads who where cast away at 18 for not being good enough these players know this, it is in their best interests to get the most money they can in a relatively short career again we hold them to a higher standard than that for what reason? What have the majority shown for us to hold them to such a standard? Lampard, Terry and Gerrard fantastic players for their clubs have all held their clubs ransom over money. What Rooney has done is no different and just to say he never made either situation public for what it's worth. I think he cares about his public perception and would rather do this kind of thing away from the press.

Finally to right now and the press conference a few on the caf want Rooney gone despite Moyes comments saying otherwise. This situation is not like 2004 Moyes is in a completely different position as manager of United than he was having the brightest English talent in the last 10-15 at the time all while being manager of Everton. Coming here was natural progression for Rooney's career but now we do not know his path we will not sell him to a league rival, so unless Rooney wants to take the path rarely taken by English players and goes abroad he is staying. He is still good enough to make a difference at the highest level so we would be helping a rival and we don't need the money so how do we benefit. The players know how good he is we would be weakening the team. I agree saying anything else would lose Rooney market value but maybe Moyes wants to keep all the quality players he can and Rooney is one of them. Rooney has kept quiet so we can't gauge his feeling and I don't really want to comment on him but unless he is adamant he wants to leave for me he is staying. We want these players to bleed for the club and care as much as we do but in truth only a small proportion do. I just hope he works hard to get back to his best for me that has been the only criteria that mattered to me in him staying.
I love how this post is so boring even the text went to sleep halfway through.

(did not read lolz)

Reactions: Damien

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
Erm, he did not. He ducked and dodged so much that the press were told to change the subject.

He said he was staying at United. They just wanted their story.

Ruud10

A Bit Wordy
So, who would we say holds the advantage: Moyes or Rooney? I say Moyes.

But like most caftards, I'm impatient and want to see this situation dealt with and behind quickly so that Moyes can concentrate on other matters and get this squad into shape for the early test against top sides.

What we don't know are what terms Rooney demands that would allow him to remain happy at United. To me, this is all insanity. Why? There is no elite club on earth that would have Rooney be the lone striker -- and by elite club I mean the following: Barcelona, Real, Bayern, Juve, AC Milan, Chelsea and I'll throw in City and PSG solely because of their cash position. So unless Roo wants to shift down and play for Arsenal or Spurs and the like he's just not going to be The Man. If this is an existential crisis for him and he needs to move on even to a club like Arsenal to maintain his stats, then so be it. We vacuum up the 30m it would take to even raise Moyes's eyebrow and use those proceeds to fund needed acquisitions. Life goes on.

We've been here before: Ruud and Beckham come to mind. Both still had plenty of game and while Fergie had good reasons to sell both that were somewhat different that how Moyes has to think about Rooney, the truth still remains that Rooney is not the kind of footballer who can carry a club to triumph on his back and if he doesn't get that then he has to go.

But I want him to get it and I want him to stay.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
All big name players hold the advantage IMO. If he leaves it will be looked upon as a major loss and a horrible start for moyes. If he stays it will be on his terms but at least the club keeps a great player and saves face to a certain respect.

MDFC Manager

If he's really in good shape and working hard and is willing to do well in the season, we should keep him. He's a little kid mentally and therefore tends to be an idiot often but i think he can be given another chance. He's still a very very good player.

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
If he's really in good shape and working hard and is willing to do well in the season, we should keep him. He's a little kid mentally and therefore tends to be an idiot often but i think he can be given another chance. He's still a very very good player.
Does your username stand for Moyes David Football Club Manager? :smirk:

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
Steve Bates from the People was on Talksport's Transfer Tavern not long ago, he refused to go into too much detail as he is apparently writing a story about the current state of play in tomorrow's paper. From what Bates was hinting at [when he wasn't accusing Fergie of claiming that Rooney handed in a formal transfer request] Wayne is not happy and still views the ball as being in United's court, with him still waiting for his grievances to be resolved.

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal

Can Moyes be blamed for any of that? After all, he had him at Everton as a teenager...could he have done better with how he brought him on through the ranks?

Devil may care

I don't agree with the notion that if Rooney has changed his mind and now wants to stay we should keep him, the club should make it's decision based purely on what's best overall for United, what Rooney wants is irrelevant.

hp88

Can Moyes be blamed for any of that? After all, he had him at Everton as a teenager...could he have done better with how he brought him on through the ranks?
From what I have read Moyes was strict with Rooney and tried to keep him on the straight and narrow, I don't know what else Moyes could have done for him.

Dion

I don't agree with the notion that if Rooney has changed his mind and now wants to stay we should keep him, the club should make it's decision based purely on what's best overall for United, what Rooney wants is irrelevant.

Those two things are clearly related though, Rooney wanting to stay changes how much of an asset he actually is and thus his value to the club.

MDFC Manager

Possibly, and i bet Fergie tried hard to do it too in the years spent with him. But when he's so emotionally immature and has a cnut of an agent for added effects, its not hard to see why he is what he is.

Devil may care

Those two things are clearly related though, Rooney wanting to stay changes how much of an asset he actually is and thus his value to the club.
Not really as he's said this before so there's no reason to think that he wont do it again next time he's in a huff over things not going his way.

Well it doesn't work like that.
It does at the end of the day, if United want Rooney to stay they'll keep him as long as he is contractually obligated, if we want to sell him we'll make sure he knows in no uncertain terms that fighting it will only be bad for him long term, and he will go.

JaffyJoe

Watched the Moyes press conference he definitely avoided attributing any direct quotes to Rooney. The question was does he want to stay Moyes purposely never answered that seemed uncomfortable. This saga is not done yet in my mind Rooney being so quiet is crazy he hasn't said a word. I think he wants to leave now it depends on who wants him.

Ash_G

From what Moyes has said the problem seems to purely be Rooney not enjoying his role last season and wanting to be getting the goals. At the end of the day that's not the worst problem to have and hopefully Rooney realizes himself that part of the problem was himself. I think you can acknowledge that we've made the most of his willingness to work for the team, albeit also paid him very well as a result, but he too has paid a significant part in being moved around, and from last season not lasting every game or playing in the game against Real. With they way Moyes spoke about getting him in to the right shape to make that contribution, it would seem that there must have been some acknowledgement that the problem is in part Rooney's as otherwise you'd think such a comment would make things worse.

The problem Rooney has is that, as others have mentioned there are few top clubs out there that would make him their number 9. Chelsea is the only team I can see without him having to take a slight step down to say Arsenal, but it also looks like Chelsea are after other targets and I think Rooney still wants to win things. So it's not like he's got a wide range of options of places to go to if he actually wants to leave to play further up front, and certainly you'd think only a handful of places he could go and get equally remunerated.

It was telling that Moyes dodged answering whether Rooney himself wanted to stay, I guess we can gather that at the very least he's unsure, but personally I think that this can all blow over, it really boils down to two things. Either Rooney is mature enough to accept that part of the blame is him own, get his head down to ensure he's in the best shape possible and we can try and give him the platform to excel at from a deeper role, or he's not mature enough and not willing to accept that you have to earn your spot at which point he's no good to us anyway.

We've said we're not gonna sell him, and whilst that's never conclusive it sends a message, personally I don't think we'll sell him on the cheap, which £20m and around would be.

Status
Not open for further replies.