Wayne Rooney - Derby County player

Red00012

A lot of revisionism going on in this thread.

In his last 3 seasons with us, he was terrible, and he was awful for Everton too.

He's a class player, and that never left him, his record goal confirmed that, but let's not pretend he could ever be the answer to any of our problems.
He scored 10 goals in that season , I don’t think you can classify that as awful

Andy_Cole

Some said he'd do a better job than Lingard and Mata, which is true, because even at his poorest he was still delivering on goals and assists. Not to mention leadership, and a winning mentality, something we sorely lack these days.
This.

MDFC Manager

Some said he'd do a better job than Lingard and Mata, which is true, because even at his poorest he was still delivering on goals and assists. Not to mention leadership, and a winning mentality, something we sorely lack these days.
But the cost for that would probably be around 400k a week?

Red00012

No he wouldn’t , he wouldn’t get near the Utd team now as bad as our options are. He was shocking for the final 3 years of his career and to say he was still delivering on goals no he wasn’t , he nearly went 900 mins without getting a goal.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
A better post would have been explaining what a legend Rooney was with United and how class he was for us. Then explaining his performances at the top level has dipped and he simply wasn't up to it anymore.

That just looks like you're being nasty about our Wayne who was brilliant for us over the years.
Some posters have to have a go at United and it's players constantly.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
A better post would have been explaining what a legend Rooney was with United and how class he was for us. Then explaining his performances at the top level has dipped and he simply wasn't up to it anymore.

That just looks like you're being nasty about our Wayne who was brilliant for us over the years.
The guy after receiving the mega contract deal didn't even bother anymore.
Wayne before 27 was brilliant
Wayne after 27 was meh...

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
The idea that Rooney was some soft of excellent captain who lead by example couldn’t be further from the truth. Off the field he was an absolute joke. Clearly had trouble with alcohol. He definitely didn’t train hard enough as his weight and fitness wasn’t nearly good enough and his leadership on the field was terrible, he was sullen and arsey in the field and the fact his own all round game was suffering made a mockery of him giving others a dressing down when they misplaced a pass or missed a shot.

His output during his last few seasons came down to the fact he took all out set pieces and the fact he had so much experience in his locker and was a good finisher with an instinct for positioning. If he had half the application, discipline and work ethic that Giggs, Scholes and Carrick had he would have been knocking in 25+ goals a season and 15+ assists instead of averaging 14 goals in all competitions like he did between the age of 26 and 31.

It funny because people claim I’m harsh on him because of “everything he did for this club”. I think that’s nonsense, he profited massively from Ferguson’s reign and the incredible senior players that lead the squad. When it was his time to take on that responsibility he failed massively. He didn’t take care of himself and his game fell off a cliff. He should have ushered in a new era but instead he phoned it in and got ushered out the club instead.

Josh 76

No he wouldn’t , he wouldn’t get near the Utd team now as bad as our options are. He was shocking for the final 3 years of his career and to say he was still delivering on goals no he wasn’t , he nearly went 900 mins without getting a goal.
Totally agree
I was listening to that prick Andy Goldstein on Talk sport that other day, saying how Rooney would walk into the Utd team now.
What utter bollocks!

stevoc

So over the last 30 years 16 players 34 and over were still racking up 40+ games a season at United?

Fair enough you might be right mate didn't think there'd be so many, do you have the names as i'm genuinely interested?
Well i guess there weren't 16 players that played past 34 to a high level like Giggs then. :confused:

Highlights just how dedicated and gifted an athlete Giggs was to play to 38-39 at United.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
He was terrible towards the end, but he could still come up with a bit of magic, like the freekick at Stoke.

I honestly think he would be better in the #10 role right now than Lingard. No hyperbole.

stevoc

He was terrible towards the end, but he could still come up with a bit of magic, like the freekick at Stoke.

I honestly think he would be better in the #10 role right now than Lingard. No hyperbole.
I honestly think you'd probably be better in the #10 role than Lingard based on his last performance. As long as you're fit enough to run around a lot of course.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Charlie Adam is a starting in the Championship. It's a tough league but there's a gulf in quality between the best player in the league regularly playing and the worst. Rooney can't move much but he's comfortably better than 99% of the players on the ball and by the virtue of being Wayne Rooney helps the players around him play better.

Hope he smashed it there and surprises a few people with his takes on football coaching.

Art Vandelay

My captain shall always play
and that was the downfall
Horrific memories. I still hate the LVG days more than now.

Being better than Lingard is the height of damning with faint praise. You could say that about almost any number 10 at the minute, it doesn't mean they'd be able to do a job for us.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Rooney wasn't nearly as bad at the end as many made him out to be. He was just different. He wasn't going to score as many as he used to. So when people were talking about how shite he was, it was because they were comparing him to his old self. However, if you compared him to the rest of the team, he still could have done a job for us and be a valuable part of the squad. I'd take Rooney in the #10 today over any of the other options that we have...

meamth

The idea that Rooney was some soft of excellent captain who lead by example couldn’t be further from the truth. Off the field he was an absolute joke. Clearly had trouble with alcohol. He definitely didn’t train hard enough as his weight and fitness wasn’t nearly good enough and his leadership on the field was terrible, he was sullen and arsey in the field and the fact his own all round game was suffering made a mockery of him giving others a dressing down when they misplaced a pass or missed a shot.

His output during his last few seasons came down to the fact he took all out set pieces and the fact he had so much experience in his locker and was a good finisher with an instinct for positioning. If he had half the application, discipline and work ethic that Giggs, Scholes and Carrick had he would have been knocking in 25+ goals a season and 15+ assists instead of averaging 14 goals in all competitions like he did between the age of 26 and 31.

It funny because people claim I’m harsh on him because of “everything he did for this club”. I think that’s nonsense, he profited massively from Ferguson’s reign and the incredible senior players that lead the squad. When it was his time to take on that responsibility he failed massively. He didn’t take care of himself and his game fell off a cliff. He should have ushered in a new era but instead he phoned it in and got ushered out the club instead.
To be fair the guy was working his arse off since he was 15-16 years old.

Let's just be fair and assume his 33 years old performance is when he was 28-29.

He was at peak early, and that doesn't disregard any contribution he made for club and country.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Totally agree
I was listening to that prick Andy Goldstein on Talk sport that other day, saying how Rooney would walk into the Utd team now.
What utter bollocks!
Is it?

The issue with Rooney was he got paid an elite, superstar player's wage, whilst no longer playing like a superstar - if performances were met with an equivalent wage, i.e. that of a squaddie and not a superstar, Rooney would not have faced half the scrutiny that he did.

If you're going to pay Rooney the equivalent wage to Mata, Lingard, Pereira or whoever else gets to play that role in our current squad, do you actually believe he wouldn't outpeform them by an order of magnitude, really?

Mata is no more mobile or fitter than the current iteration of Rooney, and he is not productive at all as well as being easily muscled out of games before his already dire stamina is depleted.

Lingard has done nothing to justify being at the club itself, for a long time now with his infamous 0 goals 0 assists in the last calender year.

Pereira, not sure he's ever been good enough, and even if we assume this to be him on the up, is he as likely to get you a goal or an assist as Rooney?

Gomes is as good as gone, and again, him being more productive than Rooney, how likely do you think that is?

Where Rooney is or is not, with regard to being Rooney, he's still got magic in his boots that is always going to give some insight into the player he once was, and him on a decline still has peaks and troughs other players have never been capable of tapping into as they've never, and will never, have that kind of ability.

Rooney on the equivalent wage to the aforementioned would be more productive than all 4 of them, combined. Which is not difficult seeing as they don't contribute much of anything. It's when the Rooney on quadruple the salary is measured against them that things nosedive specatularly for him a comparison, but as actual players, even right now, apart from pace and mobility (in Lingard's case) none of them do anything better than Rooney except Mata in terms of triangulating one and two touch passes.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
He scored 10 goals in that season , I don’t think you can classify that as awful
He started well and had hat trick against West Ham. But he was constantly subbed off and was eventually dropped. He has 0 goals and 0 assists after January I believe

Josh 76

Is it?

The issue with Rooney was he got paid an elite, superstar player's wage, whilst no longer playing like a superstar - if performances were met with an equivalent wage, i.e. that of a squaddie and not a superstar, Rooney would not have faced half the scrutiny that he did.

If you're going to pay Rooney the equivalent wage to Mata, Lingard, Pereira or whoever else gets to play that role in our current squad, do you actually believe he wouldn't outpeform them by an order of magnitude, really?

Mata is no more mobile or fitter than the current iteration of Rooney, and he is not productive at all as well as being easily muscled out of games before his already dire stamina is depleted.

Lingard has done nothing to justify being at the club itself, for a long time now with his infamous 0 goals 0 assists in the last calender year.

Pereira, not sure he's ever been good enough, and even if we assume this to be him on the up, is he as likely to get you a goal or an assist as Rooney?

Gomes is as good as gone, and again, him being more productive than Rooney, how likely do you think that is?

Where Rooney is or is not, with regard to being Rooney, he's still got magic in his boots that is always going to give some insight into the player he once was, and him on a decline still has peaks and troughs other players have never been capable of tapping into as they've never, and will never, have that kind of ability.

Rooney on the equivalent wage to the aforementioned would be more productive than all 4 of them, combined. Which is not difficult seeing as they don't contribute much of anything. It's when the Rooney on quadruple the salary is measured against them that things nosedive specatularly for him a comparison, but as actual players, even right now, apart from pace and mobility (in Lingard's case) none of them do anything better than Rooney except Mata in terms of triangulating one and two touch passes.
Trust me, having Matic , Rooney and Fred as our 3 CM would be so depressing.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Trust me, having Matic , Rooney and Fred as our 3 CM would be so depressing.
No more depressing that what we're served up every week, all with a cast iron guarantee of no hope of productivity from any one of them who start there.

Rooney's a mile off what he was or even what we need, but he's still better than what we have here making a shambles of the position and contributing the square root of feck all in it.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
The title of the thread is " Waine Rooney - Derby County Player", but it l must have entered a DeLorean because it looks like he's back on Utd again by the look of it.

MS4

Imagine you own a Club in England and the Legend Wayne Rooney joins you. What a great feeling that must be

Walters_19_MuFc

Bossed it again the other night, albeit against Northampton. Looking forward to seeing him playing against us. Bet he'll be up for it, too.

Jibbs

One of the biggest mistakes this club did is not selling Rooney in 2012.

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
Remembering his final matches with us, it was really sad to see he'd not been capable. Mourinho eased him out with dignity and respect.

DoomSlayer

One of the biggest mistakes this club did is not selling Rooney in 2012.
Absolute bullshit. This whole agenda, that Rooney was everything wrong with the club and his departure was going to catapult us back into being a dominating force, is one of the most embarrassing ones for our fanbase.

Look at us now and guess what? We haven't won a single trophy since Rooney left.

Jibbs

Absolute bullshit. This whole agenda, that Rooney was everything wrong with the club and his departure was going to catapult us back into being a dominating force, is one of the most embarrassing ones for our fanbase.

Look at us now and guess what? We haven't won a single trophy since Rooney left.
My idea is that had Rooney been shipped out, we could have invested in a player like Hazard, and also would have used Mata in his ideal number 10 position where he was so successful at Chelsea.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
SAF rarely tended to get the big player decisions wrong when he moved them on. Was correct on RVN and to a lesser degree Beckham. Wrong on Jaap Stam but that was more on the odd replacements you made in 2001. If you'd signed Rio Ferdinand that season it wouldn't have looked a bad decision. Selling Ronaldo was really out of his hands and indeed he probably used the father figure influence to get Ronaldo staying an extra 12 months.

Anyway think his instinct was right on Rooney in 2013. Ultimately he declined upfront and while his technical quality remained good he really struggled in central midfield being pressed especially for England in euro 2016 when he just got swamped and didn't have the speed of pass anymore.

Will be interesting game anyway. Derby 11 isn't as strong as one that knocked you out of league cup last season but they've been pretty good at home this season in the league (awful away form stopped any play off challenge this season) and Rooney will certainly be up for showing he's still a quality player.

Zen86

I’ll admit I never fully forgave him for that tantrum he threw all those years ago when he subtly threatened to go to City, and I wanted him gone a good few years before he did, but he was a great servant for us looking back. Thought he gave a decent account of himself tonight, the current squad would have benefitted from his experience.