We’re getting better at selling

Idxomer

Two weeks away from the end of the transfer window and our highest sale is Elanga for 15m.

Plastic Evra

I think there might be improvement across the board but the Maguire-McTominay opportunity was probably up more to West Ham as an unexpected buyer than United export department skills.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Maguire and McT both going was always too good to be true. We’ve got some absolute shit on huge wages willing to rinse us. Same way when buying we get rinsed. Clowns running the club as per. Dreading this season now.

Last edited:

spiriticon

Nope, still shit at selling. I take it all back.

But to be honest, when you have so many shit players on big wages, you are always going to be shit at selling.

samlee86

Chelsea sell their dead wood for £60m+ to their EPL rivals with one year left on their contracts …but yeah we’re good at selling :lol:

AndySmith1990

Still stuck with Maguire, mctominay, Henderson and Baily. The highest fee received is for Elanga. We're still crap at selling

pjaya

:lol::lol: We can’t sell we can’t buy without inflated special United price :houllier:

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Chelsea sell their dead wood for £60m+ to their EPL rivals with one year left on their contracts …but yeah we’re good at selling :lol:
To be fair they're selling to clubs like us.

Superunknown

When you look at Transfermarkt, it's clear to see that most of our players leaving are just end of contract or end of loan situations.

We've only actually sold Elanga, Fred, Kovar, Telles, and Iqbal.

It's very underwhelming after a promising start with the likes of De Gea and Jones moving on from the club.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Do I need to find the definition of better for you? I never said good. Why is this so hard to understand?

Andersonson

People want United to be harder on negotiations and stop spending over the odds, and yet the second there’s a hard negotiation, there’s cries that United should fold to demands to get deals done. I know it’s not the same people but it’s tiring.

samlee86

Do I need to find the definition of better for you? I never said good. Why is this so hard to understand?
Wasn’t replying to you specifically. Others in the thread were claiming we are getting “good” at selling.

As for getting “better”, then yes selling players for a modest fee and not letting them run down their contracts is definitely an improvement.

A marginal improvement but an improvement nonetheless.

Revan

Assumptionman
Because of a hiccup in a deal for a player we would have given a new contract to in order to preserve value a few seasons ago?
And because of not selling McTominay. And Henderson. And of course, the one you mentioned. Or Martial.

We essentially have made around 30m from sales this summer, so I do not see where the 'doing better' is coming from.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
And because of not selling McTominay. And Henderson. And of course, the one you mentioned. Or Martial.

We essentially have made around 30m from sales this summer, so I do not see where the 'doing better' is coming from.
We made £20m from sales last summer. £30m is better and this summer isn’t even over yet.

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
My personal outgoing list (I've crossed out the ones who have left):

Henderson
De Gea (provided we sign plenty of good players in other positions first)
Maguire
Bailly
Telles
Fred
, McTominay, VDB (2 out of these 3, not all)
Martial
Elanga

Less than half, which isn't good, but there's still time.

Although this highly dependant on incoming transfers and I don't think that we have done a particularly good job there either.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Talk about kneejerk thread of the year.

Roboc7

We made £20m from sales last summer. £30m is better and this summer isn’t even over yet.
It’s better but what we needed was to raise significant money from likes of Henderson on, Maguire, Fred, DVB and Mctominay. If someone did a good there it could potentially transform the FFP situation and consequently the squad.

We’ve only offloaded two players who had any significant game time last season leave and raised 8m. All the others above are going to see their values drop and be even less appealing to teams after another season here.

TsuWave

We'll always have those couple of days where it seemed we would get decent money for Mctominay, Maguire and Henderson. It will always live in our hearts.

lilcurt

We'll always have that £60m offer for the deadwood...

Meanwhile yesterday's game showed why we needed the midfielder (Fred) that we have actually sold.

Gandalf

It’s better but what we needed was to raise significant money from likes of Henderson on, Maguire, Fred, DVB and Mctominay. If someone did a good there it could potentially transform the FFP situation and consequently the squad.

We’ve only offloaded two players who had any significant game time last season leave and raised 8m. All the others above are going to see their values drop and be even less appealing to teams after another season here.
Beg to differ.

Maguire will lose value I am sure but his contract situation and the FFP issues make selling him tricky and it is not as if that is a situation unique to United as the likes of Nicolas Pepe prove.

Donny is currently worth nothing. Barely played for 3 years and very injury prone, if we get him sorted with a loan and he does well he will actually see his value rise from where it is now and with another year of amoritization ticked off it will benefit us more when we do sell him.

Henderson, not a great keeper, coming back from a long term injury and better keepers like Sanchez and Raya are going for bargain basement prices. He is another who may well leave on loan before the window closes and if he plays well may fetch a decent price next season.

McTominay will play 30+ games for us this season, best offer we have seen is 30M and with the prices players in his position are moving for he will comfortably still be worth at least that again next summer.