We’re getting better at selling

Woodzy

Maybe not the appropriate thread but why are we the only the club the constantly likes to show our hand in the transfer market? It feels like it happens every year with rumours of our budget. Are the club simply still trying to undo the damage of ‘we can do things in the transfer market others can only dream of’?

This year we have the addition of FFP news and us needing to sell. The whole world knew we had little to spend and needed to sell before the window had even began.

There would be other clubs in the league with similar budgets that simply just go about their business. Arsenal will definitely be one of them.

We are now in a position where we can
spend anymore and everyone knows we are desperate to sell, so will obviously be looking for knockdown prices.

RikRuud

It was always going to take a few years to run down a lot of these lucrative contacts handed out under the Woodward era. I feel the biggest stumbling block has been players not willing to leave due to their inevitable drop in wages when switching clubs. The club is paying for its own arrogance and mismanagement.

Gandalf

I do think the new trend of selling younger players out of the Academy for a small fee with a good sell on clause is a form of progress at least. Guys like Iqbal, Emeran and Laird would have been kept on the books for another year or two in years gone by and ended up leaving on a free. It is better for us to get some cash in now and have the insurance of the clause in case they kick on and it is good for the players because the clubs they are joining are invested in their development which is not the case when we send them out on loan.

Of course, we need to get better with the outgoings when it comes to the star players but as mentioned by @RikRuud, we have a legacy of the Woodward contracts which is tough to get out of as players won't leave money on the table to move. It is an unpopular opinion but sticking to our guns in this window with our player valuations might pay off in future windows as the idea we will take lowball offers just to move people on will be dispelled.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Maybe not the appropriate thread but why are we the only the club the constantly likes to show our hand in the transfer market? It feels like it happens every year with rumours of our budget. Are the club simply still trying to undo the damage of ‘we can do things in the transfer market others can only dream of’?

This year we have the addition of FFP news and us needing to sell. The whole world knew we had little to spend and needed to sell before the window had even began.

There would be other clubs in the league with similar budgets that simply just go about their business. Arsenal will definitely be one of them.

We are now in a position where we can
spend anymore and everyone knows we are desperate to sell, so will obviously be looking for knockdown prices.
Anyone can run the FFP numbers. There are no secrets at that level in football.

Nobody is surprised by our willingness to overpay and sell cheap. That’s baked into our business model.

Redfrog

700k is significantly less than what we'll have to pay him in wages for sitting on his ass all year until his contract expires. Take the hit and move on.
I think it’s on top of the money the club own him through the contract.

MegadrivePerson

As it stands the three biggest sales so far are Elanga for £15M, Fred for £10M and Telles for £4m have I missed anyone?

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
"Excellent" jinx thread. Now try with: "We have zero chance signing Osimhen this summer"

C'est Moi Cantona

"Excellent" jinx thread. Now try with: "We have zero chance signing Osimhen this summer"
Yep, as was the "Midfielder, Goalkeeper, Striker - all signed before the 29th July" thread.

Too much premature back slapping on the assumption that the DVB, Maguire, and Mctominay moves would go ahead, and said money would then be spent.

Plastic Evra

Henderson to Palace on a 15m£ deal (+ add-ons for 5m£ and a sell-on clause) so I guess it's back to getting better at selling.

Let's all light candles in churches for Maguire finding a new home on a decent fee.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Henderson to Palace on a 15m£ deal (+ add-ons for 5m£ and a sell-on clause) so I guess it's back to getting better at selling.

Let's all light candles in churches for Maguire finding a new home on a decent fee.
Happy with that. If we can bin off either of Maguire or Beek for actual money too, we're doing about as well as you could.

Overhaul FC

Who do we really have left to sell immediately?

Bailly, Maguire and Van de Beek? We've not done too badly ultimately now Williams and Henderson have gone.

KevinJoh

Once again we missed a summer when we could get more money for him, while also we did not play him. But, in situation when he was injured for a long period, I guess it is at the end good sale (not great, but even good is more than we did before).

I really expect to see Maguire, VdB, Hannibal and Alvaro Fernandez sold in the next few days, and would not be surprised to see McTominay sold. Bailly will leave for free, if anyone count him in the squad at all. If those sold, we have to get 2 players in, midfielder and defender.

croadyman

Once again we missed a summer when we could get more money for him, while also we did not play him. But, in situation when he was injured for a long period, I guess it is at the end good sale (not great, but even good is more than we did before).

I really expect to see Maguire, VdB, Hannibal and Alvaro Fernandez sold in the next few days, and would not be surprised to see McTominay sold. Bailly will leave for free, if anyone count him in the squad at all. If those sold, we have to get 2 players in, midfielder and defender.
Would be staggered if Maguire/McTominay leave before Friday,hopeful someone comes in for Donny but concerned about lack of interest

baskinginthesun

Would be staggered if Maguire/McTominay leave before Friday,hopeful someone comes in for Donny but concerned about lack of interest
I feel like Donny to Real Sociedad has been the quietest of transfer sagas. However, it has rumbled on all summer.

Plastic Evra

In the light of the not so sudden realization that United is actually filthy poor after a decade of financial gabegie on the transfer market, I think we can re-assess some of the selling.

It was a massive blunder not to sell Maguire + McTominay for 60m£. Even if there was a minor FFP hit on Maguire, making 30m£ of pure revenue on McTominay (plus later on Henderson, though we didn't know that yet) would certainly offset it ?

The only reason I can see for hesitation is that some amount of that revenue was kept to offset other spending and was not going back into replacement players, so those 60m£ were not enough to cover by themselves a CB and a MF (most links were to players in the assumed 25-35m£ range).

People would have moaned if only one of the two was signed but perhaps the illusion that we are still rich would not have been broken.

I also suspect that the club was too optimistic about their capacity to sell DvdB or the amounts they'd get for Fred or other players.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
Unless we set standards and sell players as soon as we recognise they are not of standards we need, we will always suck at selling. That obviously means buying players of good level as well.

Every one could see what a disaster Harry Maguire would be, but somehow that was lost on our scout. We paid 50m for AWB who apart from 1 on 1 situation, didnt show anything else to justify his price tag. And keeping players way beyond their sell date like Lingard and what we have done this season with Scott. If we dont sell scott this season, he will end up signing a new contract to protect his value and then by the end of that contract, he will be so useless that no other team will pay a dime for him

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
In the light of the not so sudden realization that United is actually filthy poor after a decade of financial gabegie on the transfer market, I think we can re-assess some of the selling.

It was a massive blunder not to sell Maguire + McTominay for 60m£. Even if there was a minor FFP hit on Maguire, making 30m£ of pure revenue on McTominay (plus later on Henderson, though we didn't know that yet) would certainly offset it ?

The only reason I can see for hesitation is that some amount of that revenue was kept to offset other spending and was not going back into replacement players, so those 60m£ were not enough to cover by themselves a CB and a MF (most links were to players in the assumed 25-35m£ range).

People would have moaned if only one of the two was signed but perhaps the illusion that we are still rich would not have been broken.

I also suspect that the club was too optimistic about their capacity to sell DvdB or the amounts they'd get for Fred or other players.
There wouldn't even have been an FFP hit on Maguire. As I demonstrated previously, when you factor in wages and this year's amortization expense, his breakeven transfer fee is only about 3m.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
At the time of post we were better. Maybe now we are worse again.
I think there was a general wave of optimism when you started the thread, I don’t think we were better per se. We’d only sold Elanga and Kovar. Now we’ve fluffed deals for McT, Maguire and DVB, just about rescued the Hendo sitch after messing Forest about, sold Fred who we probably should have kept and haven’t a pot to pee in to strengthen key areas. Just as bad as ever I’d say.

redshaw

How much would Maguire want paying off though? We heard 7-14 million. Also Maguire wasn't keen on going.

Plastic Evra

If I had known the situation was already that dire, I would have advocated trying to sell Sancho this summer already.

Same issue than Maguire : Massive United fee so very high and unrealistic breaking even point but worth a try.
As much as I'd like to see Sancho finally coming good for us, he is actually surplus.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
At the time of post we were better. Maybe now we are worse again.
Absolutely not. You assumed we were going to do something that we never did. At the time of your post, we'd sold Elanga and maybe Teles for peanuts (after the deal almost fell through).

Why can't some of you admit you were played and join the others in the real world?

Amir

It's not about being good at selling. It's about being good at football and having people look at your players at potential gold.

Add the contracts we've given players, and it's not a surprise it's hard to sell.