We are so fecked! (Knee-Jerk Overload)

C'est Moi Cantona

I agree in principle but when has a 21 year old Championship level player ever taken a massive step in his development here since Fergie?

Everyone seems to be regressing or threading water.
Honestly I know where we are, and the fact many people seem hyped with us signing an unknown from the championship as some sort of fantastic thing is a sad indictment of where we are just now, but we need to give him a chance, but there is no way on earth that he will be a first team player for a good while yet.

He is a chance signing, and there should be no expectations, it's not his fault we are in a mess just now.

Beaucoup

No I haven't seen him and I'm honest about it, but I'm also mature enough to not post like a spoiled petulant child and will afford the kid time and see how he does before writing him off.

Both of you are standard twittah types who will run to social media if he turns out to be a class player and say he's world class by October and pretend you always rated the kid.

And Dele Alli, sure he has just a runners up medal now.

Vardy was a Sunday league player ffs and is now a Premier League winner. Just because we've bought from lower leagues doesn't mean they are automatically shite!

Veratti played in Serie B FFS!

Really is some absolutely clueless, spoiled brats in our fan base.
What’s spoiled, petulant and clueless about saying you don’t rate a player? It called an opinion, you’ve admitted yourself you haven’t even seen him play.

And believe me I won’t be saying James is world class by October.

Someone

Something
Don't really feel stressed about losing any current player, not even rashford and marital. If we reinvest the money on the right players, then it won't matter. Not having a director of football till now is a worry, but here's hoping that Ole knows what he wants and hopefully Ed will deliver.

Beaucoup

You already know he'll never be good enough? Talk about giving players a chance. It's galactico signings or bust I guess.
I’ve seen enough to see he’s a very basic footballer, people are slaughtering Lingard for being average when in fact he’s a far better footballer than this lad. And obviously the galactico route isn’t the way way forward, we should be signing the top tier of elite young talent, turn on the Italy v Spain U21 game, you’ll see what I mean.

Ban

I’ve seen enough to see he’s a very basic footballer, people are slaughtering Lingard for being average when in fact he’s a far better footballer than this lad. And obviously the galactico route isn’t the way way forward, we should be signing the top tier of elite young talent, turn on the Italy v Spain U21 game, you’ll see what I mean.
If he turns out to be a good signing will you admit you were wrong?
Of course that won't happen but

Mr angry

Supports
Bury
Things get worse before they get better quite often. I am old enough to remember the period immediately after Busby retired when United went into freefall, and this period since Fergie left has been a parallel.

Last time it ended with relegation, which was then the start of a revival when Tommy Doc built an exciting new team and those last three seasons of The Doc were brilliant.
I don't think for one minute that United will drop into the championship but I do see next season being mid table to maybe 7th.
This could be the equivalent of the bottoming out of the 70s bad spell and the start of something better, who knows?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Niall

Saint_MUFC

What other teams? Other than Madrid hardly any club has made any transfers.
Juve, Real, Chelsea, Bayern, Dortmund, Atletico. They’ve all signed players since January for next season that will instantly be in their first team. For a club that has so many glaringly obvious weak links we have done nothing so far and no news to make me think anything will change by the first game of the season

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
Things get worse before they get better quite often. I am old enough to remember the period immediately after Busby retired when United went into freefall, and this period since Fergie left has been a parallel.

Last time it ended with relegation, which was then the start of a revival when Tommy Doc built an exciting new team and those last three seasons of The Doc were brilliant.
I don't think for one minute that United will drop into the championship but I do see next season being mid table to maybe 7th.
This could be the equivalent of the bottoming out of the 70s bad spell and the start of something better, who knows?
Why have we United fan accepted this lowered standard?? It is quite clear that we won’t get top four next season unless we buy elite talents before the window close, other clubs shoot their self in the foot or Ole turns out to be a competent manager. I am used to United winning not battling for top four trophy. The club has become an embarrassment and the legends of the past... bless their souls are probably rolling over in their graves or in their sleep. I don’t think any fan will want another season in Europa League.

We had the opportunity to hire a top manager in Mauricio Pochettino that would get us top four, yet we dilly dallied and because of a fluke win at psg we got Ole in charge instead. Now most of our top players want to leave and most of the players we are linked are only slight improvement on what we had/have.

Maybe Ole has the right answer with this British core ideology and counter attack gameplan. Even though, I would prefer pochettino footballing ideology here, if what Ole is doing become successful, it might grow on us fans and we will all start resigning his song.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Don't really feel stressed about losing any current player, not even rashford and marital. If we reinvest the money on the right players, then it won't matter. Not having a director of football till now is a worry, but here's hoping that Ole knows what he wants and hopefully Ed will deliver.
That's like saying being bankrupt is ok, all you need to do is invest on the right shares in the stock market

Sky1981

Fending off the urge

Or probably you're so fecked the only other way is up?

The Mad Manc

It's the hope that kills you

UpWithRivers

The really sad thing is that if we sell our best players and somehow magically spend 400-500 mill I am not sure we would be close to City, Barca, liverpool etc. we would meed to spend that just to ensure top 4.

SER19

You actually might be right, this could be a disastrous season.

I'm going to look at the more optimistic angle though. If we get rid of players who don't want to be here and buy well, eg replace pogba with any combination of tielemans, Neves, longstaff, rabiot, fernandes, maddison, ndombele etc, we might actually be in a better position.

Certainly if we were to sign the likes of

Wan Bisakka/ Meunier at rb
Maguire/Alderweireld or de ligt at cb
The above midfielders.
Haller

We will have a more balanced squad with hopefully most of the negative influences booted.

And who knows maybe we have a wild card like dybala or eriksen that we somehow pull off. It really all is down to how we spend it now.

The one thing we lack is leadership. I still advocate a bale loan signing

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
I highly doubt you've even seen him if I'm honest :lol:

Oh yeah, cause signing "Elite players" has worked so well for us in recent years.

Christ, what a strange comment!
I have seen a bunch of these type of statements on here recently. Do people think we should stop trying to sign top players?

OGS and Woodward are in charge of the biggest rebuild in our history, I don’t even know how to feel at this point.

Siorac

I have seen a bunch of these type of statements on here recently. Do people think we should stop trying to sign top players?
If we judge by recent success rate then we probably shouldn't sign any players at all. That's pretty much the only recruitment strategy we haven't tried yet.

In Rainbows

Why do people think we've gone the galactico route in the past? Seriously? There have been players at the end of their careers like Bastien, and Zlatan. We had someone who came off a major knee injury in Falcao. The only one that fits that is Di Maria and Pogba. And despite them being inconsistent they were still two of our better players. Di Maria only failed because he clearly did not want to be at United and he still finished with 10 assists (our most that season). Maybe you guys are thinking of Sanchez? Clear warning signs as Arsenal fans were pointing out he was underperforming before we swapped him with Micky.

Our best buys have been

de Gea - most expensive teenage gk at time of purchase
Martial - most expensive teenage player at time of purchase
Shaw - most expensive teenage defender at time of purchase

Talent is what United needs.
No I haven't seen him and I'm honest about it, but I'm also mature enough to not post like a spoiled petulant child and will afford the kid time and see how he does before writing him off.

Both of you are standard twittah types who will run to social media if he turns out to be a class player and say he's world class by October and pretend you always rated the kid.

And Dele Alli, sure he has just a runners up medal now.

Vardy was a Sunday league player ffs and is now a Premier League winner.

Veratti played in Serie B FFS, By your incredibly stupid judgement that lower league automatically means shit he is as well...

Kante as well... He was in League 2.

So many shite players :houllier:

Just because we've bought from lower leagues doesn't mean they are automatically shite!

Really is some absolutely clueless, spoiled brats in our fan base.
Dele Alli - Was young player of the year at age 18. Was bought as a teenager.

Verratti - bought at age 19 and was Serie B footballer of the year

Vardy - When he made the transition to the PL, he was already part of Leicester's side for 2 years. It's not like they bought a Championship player as a PL side.

Kante - Played Ligue 1 before he went to Leicester

I know some of you guys want to give the guy a chance, but stop with the bad comparisons. James is a punt. Kid is 21 years old, wasn't in team of the season, and isn't our own. He was bought. And that's fine. He could turn out one of our best buys. Those who are negative are only saying that the chances of him doing that is much smaller than that of a more talented player.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I highly doubt you've even seen him if I'm honest :lol:

Oh yeah, cause signing "Elite players" has worked so well for us in recent years.

Christ, what a strange comment!
So we should stop buying elite players? Because buying mediocre players is road to success?
And lets break that galactico myth. We bought only 4 elite players in last 5 years:
Zlatan-hit
Pogba- hit( despite everything he is our main player)
Alexis- miss
Di Maria- miss

Last edited:

Lookatu

I looked at the thread title and moved on, but then I couldn't help myself, I had to come into this dross of a Monday morning to see what was going on.
Jesus wept, I don't some of you should watch football for a bit, the negativity is scary.
There is an heir of teenage angst to it all really.
It's gonna be okay guys! Dan James isn't the anti Christ and there was a club here before Paul Pogba, Ole hasn't wandered out of an abandoned mental hospital covered in his own Sh1t into the job, he may actually understand football more than you lot!
It's all gonna be alright

FattyFooty

I think we are fkd too. Especially if we really think we can replace everyone with young British championship players. James is in everyones first team!
But if we spend the money 400-500 we could build a really good side. Everyone says we are nuts and wont spend over 250 and we won't sign more than 4 players. But this is no ordinary situation. 6th in the league and lose all your top players. Thats disaster. If we generate 200 on sales then we should spend like crazy.

———-——-Oblak
Wan B—-Harry-Alderweild—Shaw
———-Rabiot—Matic
—————Dybala
Sancho—-Rashford—Martial

Even if we pay top rates
Oblak - 80
Wan - 60
Harry - 75
Alderweild - 25
Rabiot - free
Dybala - 90
Sancho - 90
Total - 420

You went all out Fifa-19 on this one, yet you did not manage to put one player in there that guarantee 15 league goals.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
OGS and Woodward are in charge of the biggest rebuild in our history, I don’t even know how to feel at this point.
My feeling is that there will be two other people in charge of a bigger rebuild some time in future.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Is this the same poster who created the "Madrid need to get ready for a terrible season" thread?

AdNani

Depends who we get in really,

If we replace Pogba with say Rabiot and Tielemans. De Gea with Onana. lukaku with Haller. While adding Wan Bissaka and Diop/Maguire is say we’re in a better position than before.

Mr angry

Supports
Bury
On big name signings:

Di Maria. Miss
Sanchez Probably the worst signing ever in the entire history of the club
Zlatan One season stopgap
Pogba in my opinion miss. Massive consistency issues and a disruptive influence

ForestRGoinUp

I looked at the thread title and moved on, but then I couldn't help myself, I had to come into this dross of a Monday morning to see what was going on.
Jesus wept, I don't some of you should watch football for a bit, the negativity is scary.
There is an heir of teenage angst to it all really.
It's gonna be okay guys! Dan James isn't the anti Christ and there was a club here before Paul Pogba, Ole hasn't wandered out of an abandoned mental hospital covered in his own Sh1t into the job, he may actually understand football more than you lot!
It's all gonna be alright
Don’t be so dramatic. People saying it could go really badly aren’t standing on a ledge. They’re just open to the possibility of this getting really bad under a clueless CEO and inexperienced manager.

El Zoido

This thread isn’t knee-jerk at all. I think some fans will be in for a big shock next season unless something major happens in the transfer market.

Canagel

It's OK we just need hard workers. I'm sure the fans won't mind where we finish as long as they've "put a shift in".

UpWithRivers

You went all out Fifa-19 on this one, yet you did not manage to put one player in there that guarantee 15 league goals.
All players are available - ish. Except Sancho who Dortmund will not sell. But 90 might do it as its a ridiculous fee for a young player with 1 good season. But the team was just an example to illustrate potential purchases but still almost doable. I do not think the team will win anything for exactly the reason you stated. But we arnt getting rid or Rashford + Martial and there arnt any strikers available so 20+ goal striker is unlikely.
My main point was that we would need to spend at least 400 just to make top 4. Catching City and Liverpool and possibly Chelsea etc will take another big spend (200 ish) next season and probably the year after.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Why do people think we've gone the galactico route in the past? Seriously? There have been players at the end of their careers like Bastien, and Zlatan. We had someone who came off a major knee injury in Falcao. The only one that fits that is Di Maria and Pogba. And despite them being inconsistent they were still two of our better players. Di Maria only failed because he clearly did not want to be at United and he still finished with 10 assists (our most that season). Maybe you guys are thinking of Sanchez? Clear warning signs as Arsenal fans were pointing out he was underperforming before we swapped him with Micky.

Our best buys have been

de Gea - most expensive teenage gk at time of purchase
Martial - most expensive teenage player at time of purchase
Shaw - most expensive teenage defender at time of purchase

Talent is what United needs.

Dele Alli - Was young player of the year at age 18. Was bought as a teenager.

Verratti - bought at age 19 and was Serie B footballer of the year

Vardy - When he made the transition to the PL, he was already part of Leicester's side for 2 years. It's not like they bought a Championship player as a PL side.

Kante - Played Ligue 1 before he went to Leicester

I know some of you guys want to give the guy a chance, but stop with the bad comparisons. James is a punt. Kid is 21 years old, wasn't in team of the season, and isn't our own. He was bought. And that's fine. He could turn out one of our best buys. Those who are negative are only saying that the chances of him doing that is much smaller than that of a more talented player.
Are you really using Shaw and Martial as examples of when big money signings work out well?

Siorac

Don’t be so dramatic. People saying it could go really badly aren’t standing on a ledge. They’re just open to the possibility of this getting really bad under a clueless CEO and inexperienced manager.
And let's face it, the evidence of the past six seasons is on the pessimists' side.

FattyFooty

All players are available - ish. Except Sancho who Dortmund will not sell. But 90 might do it as its a ridiculous fee for a young player with 1 good season. But the team was just an example to illustrate potential purchases but still almost doable. I do not think the team will win anything for exactly the reason you stated. But we arnt getting rid or Rashford + Martial and there arnt any strikers available so 20+ goal striker is unlikely.
My main point was that we would need to spend at least 400 just to make top 4. Catching City and Liverpool and possibly Chelsea etc will take another big spend (200 ish) next season and probably the year after.
Your team is good. If we had a real striker to put them away. We won't spend that much sadly.

smallred

how the f*ck is it knee jerk when its going on 7 years now and getting worse and worse?

united fans seem to get collective amnesia every summer and forget that we are rapidly slipping into mediocrity with every passing season - last season being the lowest of all lows from march to may.

its all about short term solutions - no planning, no strategy, no ambition. we sign a couple of players, people are happy again and then things enevitably go to shi*.....rinse and repeat for 7 years.

its time people stopped making excuses and woke up to the reality that if fans dont act now and force club into proper reform, we will slip into complete mess.

first thing is all out action again woodward and make voices heard that he needs to step aside and let a proper football person come into place.

Zexstream

Anti-anti-racist
Regardless if we get anyone or not, you only need look at the professionalism of a team like Real Madrid. Business done early, all decent signings, all players bedding in as a team.

United should have had their targets ligned up and ready to go, minimal fuss, minimal effort. The team all in place ready to go.

Devils11

Wait till we sell Pogba on the last day of transfer window and get Longstaff as a last minute replacement for an inflated 50m. Then we are truly fecked.

Dr. StrangeHate

Regardless if we get anyone or not, you only need look at the professionalism of a team like Real Madrid. Business done early, all decent signings, all players bedding in as a team.

United should have had their targets ligned up and ready to go, minimal fuss, minimal effort. The team all in place ready to go.
I am sure we had players lined up but then march to may happened and all these targets said no thanks. We can't really blame them. If your son or client was a world class player would you advise them to go to United.
For me it is deja vu from last year when everyone kept on saying we are second we will be fine, the doomsayers are knee jerking. We all know how that panned out.

SeasickSykes

I excuse anyone for trying their hardest and playing to their level. Those who don't put in the effort disrespect the badge.

Ultimately, players can't control their own quality. It's pointless to abuse them for that. They can, however, control their own attitude.
Absolutely mate, spot on attitude. We can gripe at the board for not getting shut of them when needed, and we can gripe if they make terrible mistakes consistently, but there is one thing that I will always always respect...

Those who play for the shirt, those who give a feck, the ones who wake up in the morning and kiss the badge before their plastic wives and run until their legs are completely mullered.

That's what we need for success. Pogba at the moment as an example is poison to the dressing room, and whilst him leaving is a massive upset and failure of cataclysmic proportions, it's necessary imo, otherwise the apathy will be soaked
up like a sponge and none of them will give one come january.

TRUERED89

So everything in football is cyclical and it’s now starting to look like we aren’t even half-way to the bottom of the downturn here.

Our best player over the last 8 year, our most potent goal-threat and the most creative player all look like they’re leaving now and, whilst I stand to be corrected on this, I have zero faith in Woodward to use the money to create anything like a team that can compete for even the top 6 never mind top four!

So it’s looking like, barring transfers, our lineup will be something akin to:

Henderson / Romero
AWB Smalling Lindelof Shaw
McT Matic Fred
James Rashford Martial

That is barely even a top half team there! There simply has to be some absolutely huge spending going on to get players with the right mentality to take this clubs forwards.

£200-250m was mentioned before sales and let’s say we get £200m from the significant sales, surely this all needs to go back into the pot for transfers otherwise we'll be looking up at Leicester, Wolves, Everton and probably more come the end of next season.
Big supporter of McT, but that midfield makes me want to vomit if Pogba leaves..